• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like why do you think just because I think something is OP I think it needs to be nerfed?

I come from a fighting game background. Shit is never properly balanced. Like there is way more bullshit in fighting games than overwatch can hope to imagine, but shit is still fun. I just like to call a spade a spade.

Like you gotta understand. OPness is all relative. It's relative to the other characters. If something is crowding something else out to a higher degree than it should be, that's OP. Doesn't necessarily mean the flaw comes from the character itself. Power balance can be tweaked in more ways than just a straight nerf to the toolkit.

finalflame

Like why do you think just because I think something is OP I think it needs to be nerfed?

I come from a fighting game background. Shit is never properly balanced. Like there is way more bullshit in fighting games than overwatch can hope to imagine, but shit is still fun. I just like to call a spade a spade.

Like you gotta understand. OPness is all relative. It's relative to the other characters. If something is crowding something else out to a higher degree than it should be, that's OP. Doesn't necessarily mean the flaw comes from the character itself. Power balance can be tweaked in more ways than just a straight nerf to the toolkit.

This explains a lot. Not possible to apply the logic from other game types, especially a game that is 1v1, to a team shooter like OW. I'm having flashbacks of having this same discussion in this thread previously.

OP in a team based shooter context means a single character becomes the absolute highlight of the fight and drowns out the utility of the rest of the team; see sniper McCree, fan-the-hammer tank melter McCree, pre-nerf Widow, pre-nerf Genji.

OP does not mean a character has extreme utility and is often a great pick in a team context, therefore having a high pick rate. It's ok to have characters that are situational picks, and others which are more fundamental picks. Some characters need buffs/major overhauls, like Symmetra and Torb. Same was true about D.Va before her DM was made into a toggle. Others don't need anything. But right now, I am firmly of the belief that nobody needs to be straight up nerfed. In a game with highly dynamic maps/game modes/styles of play, there will always be favorite heroes and situational heroes. Trying to balance the game perfectly around that is fighting a losing battle.

Antiwhippy

This explains a lot. Not possible to apply the logic from other game types, especially a game that is 1v1, to a team shooter like OW. I'm having flashbacks of having this same discussion in this thread previously.

OP in a team based shooter context means a single character becomes the absolute highlight of the fight and drowns out the utility of the rest of the team; see sniper McCree, fan-the-hammer tank melter McCree, pre-nerf Widow, pre-nerf Genji.

OP does not mean a character has extreme utility and is often a great pick in a team context, therefore having a high pick rate. It's ok to have characters that are situational picks, and others which are more fundamental picks. Some characters need buffs/major overhauls, like Symmetra and Torb. Same was true about D.Va before her DM was made into a toggle. Others don't need anything. But right now, I am firmly of the belief that nobody needs to be straight up nerfed. In a game with highly dynamic maps/game modes/styles of play, there will always be favorite heroes and situational heroes. Trying to balance the game perfectly around that is fighting a losing battle.

I mean, I agree? That's what I meant by my last paragraph.

xaosslug

instead of nerfing Zarya Blizz will probably just make D.Va's DM eat her particle beam to make her a viable counter/pick at higher level play beyond stall tactics, because as it stands Zarya's high pick rate makes D.Va a detriment to the team in most cases.

ETA: i think I need a Help Line after all these Ana sleep darts in arcade mode. I feel so helpless and violated! T__T

instead of nerfing Zarya Blizz will probably just make D.Va's DM eat her particle beam to make her a viable counter/pick at higher level play beyond stall tactics, because as it stands Zarya's high pick rate makes D.Va a detriment to the team in most cases.

ETA: i think I need a Help Line after all these Ana sleep darts in arcade mode. I feel so helpless and violated! T__T
Except Zarya was meant to be a Dva counter.......

Plus, DM only eats bullets, her eating a laser doesn't make sense.

Antiwhippy

Nah, the nerf is kinda nothing honestly, and needed in a way. She was falling way out of favor before than because people found out that she gets hard countered by zarya and everyone is running zarya.

So I took your advice and bought a Zenyatta highlight intro. It paid off:

https://gfycat.com/SilverEnormousAoudad

I only got two matches in tonight. One loss as a team of six randos vs two teams of three (but I only lost 18 points, so I'm not all that bummed), and one hard-fought draw against a team that was waaaay better than we were. So it's not really progress, but I still feel okay about it.

xaosslug

Except Zarya was meant to be a Dva counter.......

Plus, DM only eats bullets, her eating a laser doesn't make sense.

meanwhile from launch everyone could break D.Va and she was thought to be useless until Blizz decided to 'balance' her months later. xD

eh, she eats Rein's firestorm and Symm's laser balls just fine...

EDIT: actually, Blizz should let you be able to shoot your guns while DM's up, because it's hard to 'deal with' Zarya while a bunch of other enemies are firing on you at the same time, and most Zarya players know this and fucking POUNCE! T__T

meanwhile from launch everyone could break D.Va and she was thought to be useless until Blizz decided to 'balance' her months later. xD

eh, she eats Rein's firestorm and Symm's laser balls just fine...
Well, I guess not bullets, but anything projectile based. She doesn't eat Symm's laser or Winston tesla, so it doesn't make sense that she be able to eat Zaryas laser and not that stuff.

They just need to buff Dva in some other department.

If we're talking inconsistencies within the game, Junkrat's tire is dumb. Unaffected by boops, unaffected by Pharah's push back thing, but gets sucked into graviton surge. :/

Went from 2488 (one win from Platinum) to 2369 in one fell swoop tonight. I'm not even sure why I play this game anymore. I said I was going to take a break from it last night and didn't take my own advice and now I'm just upset. I got 2-3 golds nearly every match (and not like 6 kill golds either), and it didn't matter who I was teamed with or what kind of map it was. Loss, loss, loss, loss.

Literally every time I've gotten close to Platinum I go on a losing streak. Every time I hit 50% win percentage, I go on a losing streak. I'm not bad at this game, I'm not pro either, but I'm competent and know basic strategy. I have main characters I use. I get on mic when there are other people on mic. I'm really, really frustrated right now.

I'm taking Overwatch out of my PS4 and shelving it until the Halloween event or Sombra comes out or whatever next thing they do because I have to for my own sanity. When you stop having fun with a game you need to step away, I think, and I was not having fun tonight.

Redmoon

Tonight has been the polar opposite in quality of games vs my first 11 games after placements, despite me not changing a thing :<

Not even 88% on fire for a 10-12 minute match was enough to win tonight :<

About to drop below where I placed soon if this keeps up FeelsGoodMan

xaosslug

Went from 2488 (one win from Platinum) to 2369 in one fell swoop tonight. I'm not even sure why I play this game anymore. I said I was going to take a break from it last night and didn't take my own advice and now I'm just upset. I got 2-3 golds nearly every match (and not like 6 kill golds either), and it didn't matter who I was teamed with or what kind of map it was. Loss, loss, loss, loss.

Literally every time I've gotten close to Platinum I go on a losing streak. Every time I hit 50% win percentage, I go on a losing streak. I'm not bad at this game, I'm not pro either, but I'm competent and know basic strategy. I have main characters I use. I get on mic when there are other people on mic. I'm really, really frustrated right now.

I'm taking Overwatch out of my PS4 and shelving it until the Halloween event or Sombra comes out or whatever next thing they do because I have to for my own sanity. When you stop having fun with a game you need to step away, I think, and I was not having fun tonight.

this week's brawl is good fun! I feel like I might actually be getting my head around Mei and Tracer and Zarya in a way that I never quite could in training/quick play! :D

If we're talking inconsistencies within the game, Junkrat's tire is dumb. Unaffected by boops, unaffected by Pharah's push back thing, but gets sucked into graviton surge. :/

as an aside I recently learned Zarya's GS can't suck a D.Va-less meka in when I boosted right into the enemy Zarya out of the GS and dropped in down right in front of her. xD

I-hate-u

If I lose two games in a row I stop playing. Losses snowball in my experience, and I am pretty sure there is a multiplier for losing SR cause I lose more points with each consecutive loss.

My dumbass lost 500 points because I didn't stop playing 2 weeks ago. I am still playing catch up to my season high.

Man, had another comeback from down 0-2 in Comp. I've only played 30 or so comp matches (including placement), and I've only been down 0-2 twice, winning both times.
I don't think my heart can take many more.
Someone else insta-picked D.Va, so I was stuck on Lucio. Our team was all over the place, and I was playing poorly (including forgetting to switch over to Heal until a Junkrat "Need Healing"ed me, and promptly died). Steamroll both first matches.
Losing 81%-0% in the third when someone on our team leaves. D.Va switches to Rein, I switch to D.Va, the leaver comes back and takes Lucio. Come back to win, barely. Eke out the last two games in Overtime, 99%-99% each time.
I was 12/16 k/d with Lucio, 34/10 with D.Va. It feels good, but I still had to heat up some sake to calm my nerves.

finalflame

Will finally have enough points to get my Golden Symmetra Gun when the season ends, I'm excited

d4xUOI9.jpg

ivan pls

Do any of you solo queue comp? If so, how do you manage it without obscene losing streaks? It feels like a black hole.

My friend solo comps. He finds people who are mic'ed up and play their main really well and adds them, one by one, until he has a full, balanced team. He loses at first, but usually ends the night on a 5 or 6 win run. Overall he's down 500 pts from the beginning of the season, though, so I'm not sure this is the greatest strategy.

I will play one or two a week solo, but I usually wait and group up with 2 or 3 online friends before venturing out of QP.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Do any of you solo queue comp? If so, how do you manage it without obscene losing streaks? It feels like a black hole.
You pray you get lucky during your placing (I managed to get into Platinum) and just hope you win-lose-win-lose so that you don't completely lose your stats. It's all about getting lucky and it's terrible.

I keep saying this, but,

Don't let yourself go on a losing streak if you really care about your rank. Most leveling up (in my experience) comes in bunches. If you are winning some and losing some and just having fun, and staying about where you started at that's fine. But just how sometimes you go on a huge losing streak, sometimes you will go on a huge winning streak. You can control it. If your're feeling good and winning, keep going. If you don't feel so good (or even if you do) and you lose two in a row, just get off and come back later.

ZangBa

Solo queue exclusively, and I'm about 500 points higher than where I placed. It's basically a mix of luck and personal skill, but mostly luck. The matchmaking is trash and will try it's best to fuck you over constantly, I don't know why I even play this game anymore.

Playing comp on ps4, I'm at 19?? Thanks to a solo q losing streak, I was 2236.

Anyone wants to group up my psn is same as gaf. I'll be playin for hours.

Antiwhippy

Watching the overwatch open and blizzard might have finally created a defense character that is actually used on defense.

maomaoIYP

Yes. I have not played a single game of comp in S2 with anyone else. I'm still at about 60% win rate in diamond range.
All things being equal, every one who solo queues (and is actively playing to win) should be able to achieve a 50% win rate, no matter how good you are.

MrPanic

The only really meaningful progression through the ranks is made by win or lose streaks. So holding on to some base rules will get you far enough. When you lose 2 games in a row, stop playing comp. Go play qp to train up or play a different game, tomorrow is another comp day. When you go on a win streak, don't stop playing until you lose a game. The bigger the winstreak, the bigger the bonus will be for winning a game, that bonus is worth more than that extra hour of sleep you could've had
maybe :p

Malo

Banned
Is there many Xbox Players in here?

I play with two friends and we're looking for some others to play with because there is only so much I can take of no comms or bad picks!

I'd like to think we're all pretty decent, range from the 2500 to 3100 SR Rank, but the main thing is we're just looking for some cool people to play with that also don't like losing ;)

GT: Expozee

We can all play quite a wide variety of characters but generally one supp, one tank and one DPS is how we roll.

Oh and might be worth mentioning we're from the UK and generally play in the evenings.

Add me if you're interested.
I'll add you. I'm 2788 SR rank at the moment. Trying to make it to diamond. I'm always looking for people to play with on Xbox.

GT: THE H4NDofGOD

Danj

I don't manage it without obscene losing streaks! This is why my rank is now 1400something.

Also because my rank is so low I now can't group with anyone as everyone is out of range of me.

PatjuhR

You do bring up an interesting point for an NX port of Overwatch, though I'm unsure about Blizzard's history with Nintendo and if they are willing to make a port of the game for Nintendo consoles.

And, yea, I want a Samus Aran-themed skin for Pharah.

Wario themed Torbjorn and Waluigi Junkrat please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom