• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

exYle

Make it permanent, and let boxes we get from the event have a chance at the event legendaries.

On that note, is anyone else worried that they won't re-release old skin rewards seasonally? As someone who started playing recently, I worry that Halloween costumes from last year will be locked out forever.

My hope is that when events are a year old, old event items become part of the regular pool and can be received/purchased with gold whenever to make way for new items that are event exclusive.

Anne

Ranted about it in the discord, but ever since the new patch ether hit reg or crosshair registration with McCree has felt "off". That McCree bug going around is old btw, so don't show me that. It's just weird.

New patch in general is kind of too buggy, and it has caused weird frame drop spikes to pop up where others weren't before. Pretty paranoid in general after encountering so many bugs.

KiraFA37

Ranted about it in the discord, but ever since the new patch ether hit reg or crosshair registration with McCree has felt "off". That McCree bug going around is old btw, so don't show me that. It's just weird.

New patch in general is kind of too buggy, and it has caused weird frame drop spikes to pop up where others weren't before. Pretty paranoid in general after encountering so many bugs.

Did you check your graphics settings btw? The event reset them all.

Anne

Did you check your graphics settings btw? The event reset them all.

Yah. Nothing on my end has changed and I can still bench the same shit as always, but Overwatch performance has been a bit all over the place. Either the performance is dipping more than I notice, or something else in there is fucking with me, Whatever it is, it's annoying. I took the time to fuck around shooting training bots and sometimes I can have crosshair literally on them, I see my bullet impact, and I get no hitmarker with no damage. It's inconsistent though and I can't figure out why. Will leave my crosshair perfectly still and like sometimes a shot just whiffs.

I could be major ass but I'm pretty paranoid after the bug fiesta of the patch.

I've had some slowdown and frame drops I didn't have before as well. At weird places, too, like the prep portion of a match and people are just standing around.

My hope is that when events are a year old, old event items become part of the regular pool and can be received/purchased with gold whenever to make way for new items that are event exclusive.
How old are those Blizzcon outfits? It's kind of absurd that we can all see them but there's no way to get them...

KiraFA37

Yah. Nothing on my end has changed and I can still bench the same shit as always, but Overwatch performance has been a bit all over the place. Either the performance is dipping more than I notice, or something else in there is fucking with me, Whatever it is, it's annoying. I took the time to fuck around shooting training bots and sometimes I can have crosshair literally on them, I see my bullet impact, and I get no hitmarker with no damage. It's inconsistent though and I can't figure out why. Will leave my crosshair perfectly still and like sometimes a shot just whiffs.

I could be major ass but I'm pretty paranoid after the bug fiesta of the patch.

One last thing I'm going to suggest is keeping open the network graph to see if you are experiencing network issues. If not then yea it is this buggy patch probably, good content but a little too many bugs.

exYle

I've had some slowdown and frame drops I didn't have before as well. At weird places, too, like the prep portion of a match and people are just standing around.

How old are those Blizzcon outfits? It's kind of absurd that we can all see them but there's no way to get them...

5 months? BlizzCon was in November

going from orisa to a terry crews voiced character would be such a massive jump

since orisa has zero personality

Whaaat?

She's got plenty of personality. She's sassy and her eyes are very emotive

Fugu

It's a long, arduous slog out of Wood, let alone Bronze My 8 yr old Junkrat/ Torb main son placed 900-ish, and the games I watch him play are nightmares of team comp and situational awareness. Torb is OP way down there and my son moved into Bronze proper almost immediately.

Now if I can just convince him that imitating Muselk and singing the Torbjorn song (adapted for little kids) while using his sitting emote all match isn't the proper way to play Overwatch. His "Sexy Junkrat in a bush" stall techniques are on point as well, though, so I can't really hate on Muselk too much.
You can do almost anything at that level and as long as you're playing a character that deals damage you'll get out pretty quickly. I played a round (I'm ~3600) as Pharah and I'm not afraid to admit that those were some fun times; I could duel bastions in midair and ult the whole team with all of them looking right at me!

What I found interesting was that there were guys that were really trying -- making callouts, talking about their ult and whatnot -- but just seemed to have a combination of no mechanical aptitude for the game and no mental awareness of what was happening around them and what they were supposed to be doing. I saw a couple of times where they'd win the fight and then just neglect to move the payload, or they'd be on defense standing in insanely vulnerable positions. The team compositions I played with were not totally terrible and certainly not any worse than some shit I'd seen in plat.

I think it highlights something of a side-effect of this style of matchmaking where if you're not good the only players you're going to be exposed to are other not good players. The game that the people at this tier are playing is a totally different thing going on than even what the guys in silver and gold are doing. You play a game in gold and people seem to get conceptually that dying on defense is pretty serious so they should entrench themselves somewhat and use the landscape to benefit them; people in bronze may know that but they've likely never seen what that actually looks like. Similarly, they've probably never seen the advantages of waiting for your team when you die instead of running in or how communicating during a team fight can be a game-changer. That's not their fault, either, seeing as the matchmaking system just pushes them all together.

I have two friends who placed similarly. It is their first PC FPS so they had tons to learn.

One hit gold and and the other is mid-silver. With some hard work you can dig yourself out but man the stories they have told. That elo is a dark place.

This is also their first comp season.
I think anyone can get out of that range with a little bit of knowledge and skill but it's hard to acquire those things down there.

The strangest thing I saw was that a Reaper had holed himself up in a room in Dorado, killing people who came through the doorway. He was in a rather ignorable position far from the main stretch, but rather than ignore him (or bait him to come out by... moving the payload) people kept just going in after him and, predictably, dying.

The strangest thing I saw was that a Reaper had holed himself up in a room in Dorado, killing people who came through the doorway. He was in a rather ignorable position far from the main stretch, but rather than ignore him (or bait him to come out by... moving the payload) people kept just going in after him and, predictably, dying.

Sometimes, I do this by playing Sombra. Just the fact that you're there is enough to annoy ppl into focusing on you too much and making stupid mistakes.

I hack a health pack and just stand/jump on it while shooting ppl

Had my best day of overwatch ever yesterday, Played with the same new friend in duo queue for about 4 hours straight because we just kept winning and winning and winning, about 4 straight, then a loss,win,loss, then 10 straight wins after that!

Gained about 300 SR in one day, Diamond is finally within reach!

DevilDog

-50 SR and 10 Min ban for leaving during Play of the Match.

Fuck you Blizzard.

If only there was a warning

Had my best day of overwatch ever yesterday, Played with the same new friend in duo queue for about 4 hours straight because we just kept winning and winning and winning, about 4 straight, then a loss,win,loss, then 10 straight wins after that!

Congrats on the GOAT avatar

KiraFA37

You got a 10 winstreak and only got 300SR in total? That seems quite low.

orisa was added to the game strictly to make it look like pharah was charismatic by comparison
#Triggered tbh. You leave her alone.

In other news, I've been getting insane packet loss warnings for the past week (playing on Xbone). My internet connection is fine however, and I have no problems with any other games. Hell, I never had any problems with the PS4 version either, which is strange.

They have way too much talent to be this inconsistent, like a super Knicks, like our six stack that loses to one bastion.
Omg six stack as the Clippers:

Me: Chris Paul, good player but can never win. Is the team better off without him? Gets angry too easily. Small man syndrome.

ND: Blake Griffin. All the talent in the world, can't come through in the clutch.

Owzers: Deandre Jordan, it doesn't look good but he gets the job done, free throws = pins

Ultima: JJ Reddick, you know what you're getting out of him, consistent. But won't win you games on his own.

Cappa: Jamal Crawford, will win you the game or will lose you the game, no in between.

Scrub: Austin Rivers, doesn't always show up. Great defense, hit and miss offense

HMD

going from orisa to a terry crews voiced character would be such a massive jump

since orisa has zero personality

For real, the most personality she has is that OS starting up sound when she respawns, they should focus more on her being a personified Windows PC or something. Cause right now I don't even know what her personality is.

Last night was pretty strange in terms of SR gain/loss for me.

Example:

First game was on Hanamura. My team goes on Attack first and we only manage to get 2.4% on point. On Defense, we decide to hold on point and manage to pull it off. Our defense was amazing! That nets me +18 SR and I go to 3116.

The next game was a loss on Dorado as my team hardly pushed past the first choke point. On Defense we get rolled and lose fairly quickly. That sets me back -38 SR! I don't remember the last time I lost that much from a loss. I couldn't believe it.

I proceed to lose the next game too but ended the night on a win though so I'm still in a nice spot.

Me: Chris Paul, good player but can never win. Is the team better off without him? Gets angry too easily. Small man syndrome.

ND: Blake Griffin. All the talent in the world, can't come through in the clutch.

Owzers: Deandre Jordan, it doesn't look good but he gets the job done, free throws = pins

Ultima: JJ Reddick, you know what you're getting out of him, consistent. But won't win you games on his own.

Cappa: Jamal Crawford, will win you the game or will lose you the game, no in between.

Scrub: Austin Rivers, doesn't always show up. Great defense, hit and miss offense

I don't know who any of these players are but I like that I'm consistent.

exYle

What about me

What about me

You watch it all go up in flames like
giphy.gif

Cappa

Banned

Lol I'm OK with that

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i gave up on playing sombra and just played mccree to work on my hitscan instead

pharahs flight distance with no falloff is bullshit and i'm noticing it even more with mccree

Codiox

Just joined overwatch yesterday and boy it's fun. Played the whole day and couldn't stop. Back when I played the beta I really didn't like it. But now this is so much fun. Easy to dive in even for some minutes.

What are the best chars for newbies? My main character so far is pharah, any tips for her? I love her.

Good god low level play on PS4 is tragic, long q's and then just flat out bad games.

In PvE if i don't go a healer then chances are group won't have a healer and obvs that leads to failure even on normal mode....

JHall

Just joined overwatch yesterday and boy it's fun. Played the whole day and couldn't stop. Back when I played the beta I really didn't like it. But now this is so much fun. Easy to dive in even for some minutes.

What are the best chars for newbies? My main character so far is pharah, any tips for her? I love her.

Find a friend that mains Mercy.

Nice man. Been working a lot on my Tracer too, my problem is I die too much an generally get too few kills. I'm great at being a nuisance though. Any tips for staying alive longer?
Thx!
Im still learning but generally

have 2-3 blinks when starting a fight.
Its generally bad to use more than 1 blink to get into an engagement (like coming from spawn trying to get back into a team fight and youre already out cause you spammed every blink to get back asap high chance youll get picked off again cause you cant move around)
Use your melee
Always aim for head no matter the spread.
You can also aim for slightly below the head around the neck and tracers spread will allow for head shots i remember iddqd showing this off in a video
Always be moving tracer and genji have the fastest normal walk speed
Staying alive i guess is picking your fights and realising its fine to run away if it means you can stay alive in an extended fight to help your teamm

Im still rough tho but hope it helps

Top Bottom