• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Fugu

Diamond players have feelings too you know.
I mean, some of them... might. I haven't seen any proof of that myself.

Diamond is a weird place. I feel like match quality correlates with SR with one giant exception, and it's diamond. I think it's a combination of being the natural home of smurfs and the fact that diamond players have been told by the game that they're above average.

I feel bad for the people just trying to get to master.

Don't take this the wrong way, but the first step to genuine improvement is to admit to yourself that you do belong at your current rank. Try to focus on your own play and how you can personally improve. Watching guides and analysis videos from people at higher ranks can be really helpful too.

Yea this is step number one. Focus on you. Did you do your best on that play? Did you bubble the right person? Maybe you charged the other teams Zarya too much. Did you let yourself get picked off by that Solider by being out of position? Did you manage your ult well? Or just do it whenever everyone else did theirs? Did you get everyone you could in that Rez? We're you giving out proper heals to the right people to ensure a pick? Are you communicating well with call outs and Ult status? Are you looking at the kill feed?

Do that on and on and watch pro videos and you'll climb.

It's easy to blame your teammates that out effort into your game.

Unless Owzers is on your team.

ohkay

For me, out of gold, plat, and diamond, diamond has been the home of the most trolls/throwers/tilters.

That being said, when I do get an actual game, the game is much more enjoyable the higher I go up

Ive said it since season 2, but diamond is the worst group to play. You still get those games in master and GM, but its not as frequent as in diamond, where some random asshole gets the perfect comp set up with like 2 tanks, 2 dps, and 1 healer, and elects to go Hanzo or something. Diamond players all seem to think theyre super good too which is so weird to me. Most of them have the skill but lack situational/compositional awareness to move on and are too egotistical to understand optimal picks. Theres a huge difference between a viable pick and an optimal pick and understanding those differences are huge to ranking up.

My favorite comp is when we have 3 dps and none of them are good against pharah.

Had one comp: Rein, Roadie, Sym, Hanzo, Junkrat, Mercy (me)

Me: "Guy's just a heads up, we don't have anything to counter pharah, so one of the DPS might have to switch if we get creamed on this first point".
Junk: "No problem, if hanzo can shoot a limp arrow into her, I'll finish her off real easy"
-loses point A in 20 seconds-
Me: "Can we get someone to switch to another healer or a hitscan for that pharah?"
Junk: "Not me, I have gold damage"
Hanzo: "Dude, I have gold elims, I was getting picks, I'm not even sure how you guys died so easy. I even took out that pharah".
Junk: "I don't think we need a symettra anymore, she's useless on point B"
Sym: "Ok, you guys are blaming me... whatever... it wasn't my fault you guys can't stay alive"
-switches to Lucio-
Hanzo: "Umm can we not have Lucio, we need someone like Zen to discord that Pharah".
Lucio: "I don't play Zen, you play him, I can soldier"
Hanzo: "Naw dude, I'm fucking destroying them right now. I'm on my second dragon in 2 minutes"
Junk: "IS ANYONE GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THAT FUCKING PHARAH, SHE JUST KILLED ME FOR THE 5TH TIME"
Hanzo: "FUCK! Someone needs to do something about that pharah, I was about to ult then she solo-ulted me, she knows I'm the real threat of this team."
-loses match a few minutes later-
Junkrat: "Gold damage, silver elims. You guys fucking suck dick, I hope I NEVER team with any of you guys ever again" -disconnects-
Hanzo: "nothing I could do there, we had a junkrat who didn't do anything the whole round, a symmettra who didn't put down her tp and mercy who couldn't heal for shit."

Geneijin

My favorite comp is when we have 3 dps and none of them are good against pharah.

Me: "Guy's just a heads up, we don't have anything to counter pharah, so one of the DPS might have to switch if we get creamed on this first point".
Junk: "No problem, if hanzo can shoot a limp arrow into her, I'll finish her off real easy"
Me: "Can we get someone to switch to another healer or a hitscan for that pharah?"
Hanzo: "Dude, I have gold elims, I was getting picks, I'm not even sure how you guys died so easy. I even took out that pharah".
Sym: "Ok, you guys are blaming me... whatever... it wasn't my fault you guys can't stay alive"
-switches to Lucio-
Hanzo: "Umm can we not have Lucio, we need someone like Zen to discord that Pharah".
Hanzo: "Naw dude, I'm fucking destroying them right now. I'm on my second dragon in 2 minutes"
Junk: "IS ANYONE GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THAT FUCKING PHARAH, SHE JUST KILLED ME FOR THE 5TH TIME"
Hanzo: "FUCK! Someone needs to do something about that pharah, I was about to ult then she solo-ulted me, she knows I'm the real threat of this team."
Junkrat: "Gold damage, silver elims. You guys fucking suck dick, I hope I NEVER team with any of you guys ever again" -disconnects-
Hanzo: "nothing I could do there, we had a junkrat who didn't do anything the whole round, a symmettra who didn't put down her tp and mercy who couldn't heal for shit."
Sounds like Gold too (currently Gold). Could have fooled me!

komaruR

-switches to Lucio-
You shoulda pull a 4dps meta and go soldier!

Plenty of people don't belong at the rank they're at. The system isn't perfect. I got out of plat specifically by ignoring my teammates' lack of judgement and just picking Pharah every game. Now that I'm in master I'm okay with healing again because my teammates are actually competent.

I got stuck in Diamond S3 because I was healing people who, as it turns out, were much worse at the game than I am.

Eh, what I said was more of a psychological thing than the absolute truth. I only say it because your rank is your rank, you must be doing something better / worse than other players to end up where you're at. That sounds really incoherent but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

On Console, does Triple Tank work well still? Is it better or worse than PC?

If it's not a pro game, as long as you run a legitimate strategy you will be fine. Triple tank is occasionally run by the pro teams anyway, it's just no longer the default optimal strategy in the current meta.

Mutant

I think that due to placements no longer really mattering (I lost 7 games and was placed within 150 points of my previous season's SR what the fuck), how close the ceiling is from diamond, and how your SR slowly decays, it's lumping up more and more people of a large variant of skill together.

LiK

Meta comp requires coordination and you won't find that in normal games much unless it's a full stack with teams that play together often and know their roles.

jviggy43

Diamond players have feelings too you know.

No they don't!

-switches to Lucio-
So much of this is too real. I hated having to explain to them that we always need at least one hit scan unless were going with a dive for opening point or something. I absolutely hated seeing tracer/reaper/genji making up the dps in that rank. Also yeah, anyone throwing out the gold damage argument is straight up worthless. Most pointless stat of all time-especially so if youre playing a dps role....I expect nothing less from you.

Sounds like Gold too (currently Gold). Could have fooled me!

Yes, gold is very toxic for whatever reason (more than plat wtf?), but for gold players I just expect them to pick their best character and hope to god it works. In diamond I expect people to have more awareness for their pick. Yes, picking an off-meta character is fine, but know when to switch if it's not what the team needs. Being gold damage with Junkrat is nothing special ever (unless you pass 25k per match), getting picks with hanzo AFTER team dies is also terrible.

You shoulda pull a 4dps meta and go soldier!

Depending on the team I do go for this! Only when I know the last support will stay support...

Eh, what I said was more of a psychological thing than the absolute truth. I only say it because your rank is your rank, you must be doing something better / worse than other players to end up where you're at. That sounds really incoherent but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

I've been preaching this for a long time, most people brush me off though. I get a lot of excuses like "my team is shit" or "I get a thrower/leaver every single game". The reality is the game tries to pair you with a team it thinks that's on your level (or at least thinks you can be able to soft carry). As for the leaver/throwers, everyone I've ever played with has dealt with this, it's not specific to one person, some people might be unlucky and get leavers more often but let's not pretend it's a unique problem. In the past month I must have lost at least 100 SR from leavers/throwers alone, but my SR still floats around the same ballpark. I can't 100% say that if I didn't have leavers/throwers that I would of won those matches. On the flip-side, I must have won at least 60-80 SR from people throwing/leaving on the other team.

Skii

Meta comp requires coordination and you won't find that in normal games much unless it's a full stack with teams that play together often and know their roles.

If there's a meta comp, why wouldn't you find them in normal games? Isn't the meta comp supposed to be the most common team you see in ranked?

LiK

If there's a meta comp, why wouldn't you find them in normal games? Isn't the meta comp supposed to be the most common team you see in ranked?

i'm saying there's no coordination even if people all choose what's popular with the pros.

antitrop

Already back to 3950.

I played with Hydration's smurf in one of the games (main account is 4669 rank #12 atm), so that was lucky.

-switches to Lucio-
Here's a little speech I have been giving lately with great success:
"I know you are angry that we lost the point, but often I find that lost matches are less about player skill than they are about team composition. We are all at this rating, and I am sure we are all good at what we do. But that [character] is hurting us a lot right now, and we don't have an answer for it. Would someone be willing to swap to [Option 1] or [Option 2] to counter it?"

If we turn it around, I always make it a point to say "See guys, sometimes we all just have to change up the comp - nice job everyone!"

hypernima

Banned
I've been preaching this for a long time, most people brush me off though. I get a lot of excuses like "my team is shit" or "I get a thrower/leaver every single game". The reality is the game tries to pair you with a team it thinks that's on your level (or at least thinks you can be able to soft carry). As for the leaver/throwers, everyone I've ever played with has dealt with this, it's not specific to one person, some people might be unlucky and get leavers more often but let's not pretend it's a unique problem. In the past month I must have lost at least 100 SR from leavers/throwers alone, but my SR still floats around the same ballpark. I can't 100% say that if I didn't have leavers/throwers that I would of won those matches. On the flip-side, I must have won at least 60-80 SR from people throwing/leaving on the other team.

My problem is I keep getting people that get way too comfortable and switch roles when we have a lead that put the team a disadvantage. Particularly support players have been doing this, or tanks.

Some people def want to get the Diamond emblem then decide they don't give a shit anymore. Seems to be way more of an issue in this season. Probably why so many people are throwing or being assholes.
I had this exact kind of player last night.

I'm currently 2941, on my way back up. Had two excellent wins and was feeling good. Got Route 66. Team is being picked. Lucio (me), Rein, Hog, and three DPS including Sombra, Genji, and Tracer. Only the Genji wasn't in team chat. Everything is positive.

Game starts and of course, the Parmercy is giving us a hard time. Tanks are doing work but our DPS can't do anything. We talk about switching things up and begin to ask if any of the three DPS can switch to Soldier one by one. All we do is ask if Genji could try. He immediately comes on team chat and says "No".He beings to attack the team by saying all the classic stuff. Gold damage, we aren't getting the picks, solo healer is bad, etc.

He then proceeds to tell us that he's on his second account where he doesn't care or try and we should all enjoy staying in Diamond because we suck so bad. No surprise we get rolled hard and lose. He tells me I was the only good player on the team and slammed the others. I checked his 6 years of XBL account and see he' fallen from the high 3300's to 2800's. Yeah.

Miserable game right there.

I did win the one after and went 3-1 for the night. So close to that 3000 again, I can taste it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm shocked people are still trying hard at ~2700 SR. I think they really want Diamond and it's kind of nice when they build around insta locked duo snipers (Hanzo+Widow) and don't say anything apart from maybe one line in chat/voice to ask that we swap to something else.

I have a positive WR right now opening games like that in comp.
It's underrated if both players aren't bad I think actually.
If enemy runs dive comp we swap.

Also I'm actually enjoying playing this instead of just locking Soldier or filling. Feels good.

My problem is I keep getting people that get way too comfortable and switch roles when we have a lead that put the team a disadvantage. Particularly support players have been doing this, or tanks.

This is pretty rare that it happens to me, mostly because the people who are sandbagging realize really fast that we're probably gonna lose if they keep up their BS. This game is very momentum heavy, the last thing you want to do is allow the enemy team to build that momentum up and comeback (even if they're worse than everyone on your team).

Anyone on PS4 wanna play?

???

Fake news.

MG310

Accurate to my Dorado defense last night except with Reaper in the Hanzo role and a group of two that immediately locked Mei and Junkrat and never entered voicechat.

I don't use a mic but at least come into the room to hear the people that do.

jviggy43

I'm shocked people are still trying hard at ~2700 SR. I think they really want Diamond and it's kind of nice when they build around insta locked duo snipers (Hanzo+Widow) and don't say anything apart from maybe one line in chat/voice to ask that we swap to something else.

I have a positive WR right now opening games like that in comp.
It's underrated if both players aren't bad I think actually.
If enemy runs dive comp we swap.

Also I'm actually enjoying playing this instead of just locking Soldier or filling. Feels good.

Seeing people make those kinds of picks and having someone else encouraging it in a comp game.....

barney-stinson-kill-myself-boring-suicide-neil-patrick-harris-How-I-Met-Your-Mother.gif

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Seeing people make those kinds of picks and having someone else encouraging it in a comp game.....

barney-stinson-kill-myself-boring-suicide-neil-patrick-harris-How-I-Met-Your-Mother.gif
People aren't familiar with countering it if they are running a standard lineup that isn't a good dive comp. Widow actually can kill Pharah and backline healers. Hanzo is basically an evasion tank in the frontline :^)
I had Gold objective time on Dorado Defense.

komaruR

I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure if you've got the diamond emblem, you can't queue for a placement match. It doesn't matter if you drop below 3000.

Anyway, sometimes the emblem is bugged, especially during/after placement. I saw a guy with a master emblem despite still being in placements.

I have a lot of those days. The degree to which this game would be better without super BM players shitting on matches is staggering.

proof from pooh's stream
oaeQyr2.png

Linkark07

Banned
Can I vent my anger here? Need to do it.

I seriously hope Blizzard bans fucking leavers in competitive. Last one I played, we won the first round with 5 minutes left. Excellent, even if we lose the second round, we have time to spare.

Come second round, the enemy team capture the second point with just seconds left. Whatever, they only have one minute and us six.

Sadly, one teammate didn't think the same. The fucker decided to leave the game without saying anything. Nada. Left the fucking game. 5vs6.

The enemy team, on top of capturing the first point, almost got the second.

Come our round, we couldn't do jack shit. They had a bastion, mercy and reinhardt defending that fucking robot, and ana too. But we almost got the fucking first point and leave it in a draw. Almost. Then they swap to fucking dive heroes like Tracer or Winston and destroy us.

I mean, this shouldn't have happened. That was our game. And we fucking lost it. Blizzard seriously needs to be more severe with people like him. Either ban him (this is just because I'm annoyed right now), suspend their accounts for some days or not allow them to enter competitive for a couple of days.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Needs Metal Gear Solid music

Getting a cap is a bonus but the absence of communication on console makes stupid things like this too common.

The amount of times I've seen teams lose because a single genji or tracer jumps onto the first Hanamura point or whatever for 1 second and causes the entire defending team to abandon the chokes to go back to the point is sad :(

Dekutulla

Lost over 100 SR today and it feels like it's mainly because my team doesn't know how to A. stand on the objective and B. not go in one by one

fucking sucks, man...

Top Bottom