• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
People don't seem to want to do this anymore but I still think a full stack with people playing their mains is what works. But people want to experiment and dick around in Comp now so you get unpredictable team comps and games where you can go from stomping to being stomped. I find that type of play too frustrating to deal with.

I'll say it again, Overwatch's matchmaking in it's current state is what drives this.

1. Ranked needs Team and Solo
2. It needs better Server browser, specifically servers to just dick around in like TF2. Where it doesn't matter if you have 17 Widows.

What should this hopefully do? Rank will be a bit more balanced then. The people who want to purely just dick around move to custom servers that never end. And Quickplay returns to more people trying to win, rather than dicking around.

Because, right now Quickplay is what people do in those never ending TF2 servers. And rank has become more along the lines of, let me experiment with this character and see if it works.

Gurrry

I'll say it again, Overwatch's matchmaking in it's current state is what drives this.

2. It needs better Server browser, specifically servers to just dick around in like TF2. Where it doesn't matter if you have 17 Widows.

What should this hopefully do? Rank will be a bit more balanced then. The people who want to purely just dick around move to custom servers that never end. And Quickplay returns to more people trying to win, rather than dicking around.

Because, right now Quickplay is what people do in those never ending TF2 servers. And rank has become more along the lines of, let me experiment with this character and see if it works.

I would love something like League has where you pick your roles prior to entering the queue. Then you dont have the salty guy who wants to play dps and is forced to support horribly because hes mad he didnt get to pick soldier.

LiK

Agree, we need pure Solo Q matchmaking.

Paltheos

I would love something like League has where you pick your roles prior to entering the queue. Then you dont have the salty guy who wants to play dps and is forced to support horribly because hes mad he didnt get to pick soldier.

P. dubious plan imo. That increases wait times for the most popular role (DPS) and could discourage players from staying with the game. I mean, as a mostly tank and support player, I'd like it personally, but why would the business do it? Can League do it only because it's so big, or is there some other reason I'm missing here?

Nimby

Banned
zen skin pls blizz
tumblr_opkeolufZI1rvzrpxo1_1280.png

i'll play your stupid moba

Fuck Mercy, if that happens Zen main I shall be.

komaruR

The start of a Season is just as bad. People always want to try the new hero or new balance changes.
This season was just bastion but after it got patch it was good
When orisa came out it wasnt available in comp until a week later too and quickly ppl drop her lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Wouldn't work in this game, because League locks you into choices at the start. Overwatch doesn't and one of the biggest skills to have is being able to switch mid way.

Other team goes Genji and Tracer? Switch to Winston. To counter Winston, get a Road or Reaper. Etc. Sometimes a support going DPS tilts the game, etc. I've won quite a few games where I start as a healer, but either someone won't switch to a counter. Or they are simply just poor DPS.

Nor would I expect a drastic increase in Queue times. Overwatch is large enough to support it and I feel better balance would improve player retention anyways.

Finally played some comp this season, finished 3-5-2 in placements but still ended up in the 2400 area.

It seems like this season is a lot more focused on hard counters and switching? At least I don't remember having to switch so much in previous seasons.

I don't really think this would solve anything. People that want to dick around will still be in comp and not anywhere else, because since they're trolls for the most part, they want to be in the most "serious" mode where they know that there's people willing to take the game seriously.

Also my worst games in comp while soloq is when there's a full team of randoms. People that play in groups usually tend to adapt to what the randoms pick, it's the same thing when there's a gaf group, and also the reason why I usually end up playing support.

Yesterday I played one game soloq and instalocked pharah, another random picked reaper and the other D.Va. The 3-man group on the team picked last and went ana, zen and rein... this most likely wouldn't happen with 3 solo randoms.

I love this game but I'm just burnt out at this point, and it doesn't get easier as we get closer to season end where people just play like idiots. I played 3 games yesterday (my friend insisted on OW, I wanted rocket league, he won that argument), 2 of them were great games, great communication and games were fairly close. For awhile it felt like I could play at least 3-4 more games, but then we get to the 3rd game... absolutely the least fun I had this weekend (no hyperbole and it was only 20 minutes of my time!). All I could think to myself was "Now I remember why I don't regularly play this on a daily basis anymore", that game was enough for us to go to get off and play some rocket league.

If you guys are burnt out just take a break and come back for Season 5 or whatever.

I've recently stopped experimenting and have settled down as a support main with Ana and Mercy being the main ones and D.Va being an off tank.

Fugu

Forcing people to select a role would create more problems than it solves.

For starters, Overwatch is a game designed around switching. What are the restrictions on switching once you've locked into a role? What if the guy locks in DPS because he's a really good Genji but he can't play hitscan for shit? How about a DPS that wants to switch to Zarya?
This hints at a related problem: What are the bounds of the role distinction? If you just go with the current distinctions, there are many obvious problems, such as the frivolity of picking most of the defense heroes in a lot of situations and the notion that Symmetra fills the same role in a team that Lucio does.
Who selects the team composition? 2/2/2 is not the only meta comp and far from the only viable choice, especially in situations where you're trying to force a draw. No matter what distribution you select, though, as long as the list of combinations is more finite than "six heroes" (which it would have to be if this system were to do anything) it will serve to crystallize the meta. If you can only pick 2/2/2, for example, Winston's viability decreases perceptibly.

I don't think treating Overwatch like a MOBA is a solution here.

Yeah there's just no way that forcing people into roles is a viable option in this game, it will never happen because it doesn't make any sense.

LiK

They need more varied modes and maps. I think people are just burnt out and want more new content. I think they need to rework the ranks and SRs. The majority doesn't seem to give a shit especially with smurf accounts.

When is Overwatch going to get cross-over skins? That Goliath D Va. skin is too perfect. Widowmaker Kerrigan, Rein Marauder. There is a lot of cool stuff they could do.

When is Overwatch going to get cross-over skins? That Goliath D Va. skin is too perfect. Widowmaker Kerrigan, Rein Marauder. There is a lot of cool stuff they could do.

Why do people think Widowmaker should get Kerrigan treatment? Because she has blue skin? Clearly Mercy deserves it as her kit already has wings.

Fugu

The ranking system is hard to fix. You can't really carry in OW unless you're seriously out of your skill range and none of the game's visible stats are particularly reliable indicators of skill since, for example, timely kills are several times more valuable than untimely ones.

There are certainly still some things wrong with the current system, however. Shorthanded games still have far too big of an impact on the losers that didn't leave (why am I losing 30 SR for a game that I had no chance of winning) and decay has goofy effects on the rating system given that it sinks your SR faster than actually playing the game ever could.

There's also... whatever the hell is going on with my SR gains. I've complained about it a lot in this thread already but I get literally half the SR for winning as DPS than I do for winning as support despite better DPS performance/win rate. Why? In what world does that make sense? I'm very close to GM and I'm having to make suboptimal picks to make up for the fact that to go up as DPS I need to win well over 50% of the time.

They need more varied modes and maps. I think people are just burnt out and want more new content. I think they need to rework the ranks and SRs. The majority doesn't seem to give a shit especially with smurf accounts.

It's been a year and we've only gotten 2 new maps (three if you count the 3v3 map) and one new mode, but that mode isn't even available in regular play. I don't blame people on getting burnt out. Especially when you can't control what maps you play on at all. I can't remember the last time I got to play on Hollywood or Route 66.

And yeah, Blizzard definitely needs to rework SR somehow because smurfing has gotten ridiculous.

I wouldn't be surprised if the one-year anniversary had some crossover skins. I'm expecting a significant update at one year since release but I'm also expecting to be disappointed.

LiK

One year anniversary seems to be the main event for new skins. I'm guessing that's when Hanzo and Zarya get some new Legendaries finally.

Kind of wish the Avoid Player option made a return honestly. It might help some issues of matchmaking.

I really wish this was in the game. The idea I have is probably to complicated to implement, but basically the "avoid this player" option would mean that the selected player wouldn't be in your team but could still be in the game. This would guarantee that you only pick bad players/trolls and not use the option to avoid getting placed against great players like it was used before. They would also have to limit the number of players you could put on the "avoid list". But I have no idea how hard it is to do something like this.

LiK

I really wish this was in the game. The idea I have is probably to complicated to implement, but basically the "avoid this player" option would mean that the selected player wouldn't be in your team but could still be in the game. This would guarantee that you only pick bad players/trolls and not use the option to avoid getting placed against great players like it was used before. They would also have to limit the number of players you could put on the "avoid list". But I have no idea how hard it is to do something like this.

We can't report them so they should allow us to avoid them.

Ramirez

It is pretty mind blowing that solo players get a -30 SR loss when another random quits the match. I probably lose 500 SR or more per season from that situation, and it seems to always happen at the worse times, lol.

Shahadan

Why is there always some guy who's determined to tell us that he absolutely does NOT suck but his team, on the other hand, is definitely trash and everything is their fault.

We don't care we don't know you

I can appreciate the fact that Overwatch has a bunch of issues but a month ago we went like 9-1 in a day as a stack and overall we were having way more success. And since then It's been awful. We are definitely doing something wrong that I'm sure we can fix.

We can't report them so they should allow us to avoid them.

Yeah avoid would be a much better option imo, report is harder because for example you can't really report some player just because he played widow during the whole game, technically nothing is wrong with that. But I sure as hell would use the avoid option on him lol

I can appreciate the fact that Overwatch has a bunch of issues but a month ago we went like 9-1 in a day as a stack and overall we were having way more success. And since then It's been awful. We are definitely doing something wrong that I'm sure we can fix.

Owzers actually landed some pins that day. It's all decided by that, he's the one that decides our fate when he clicks the charge button.

Top Bottom