• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Sombra is fun af to play. I bust her out on Hybrid attack phase all of the time. You hit the enemy team so hard so fast that they don't know how to react. Being able to get in and out so cleanly is something that not even Tracer is capable of.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any trick to controlling Sombra's recoil? Much like with 76, if I fire more than 2-4 bullets, it's nearly impossible to hit bodyshots let alone headshots.

Even pointblank range is very difficult to kill for me with Sombra.

Sombra is fun af to play. I bust her out on Hybrid attack phase all of the time. You hit the enemy team so hard so fast that they don't know how to react. Being able to get in and out so cleanly is something that not even Tracer is capable of.

Sombra is so damn good. Fighting near a hacked health pack feels like you're unstoppable lol. Nonstop harassing and great mind game potential.

EDIT:
No PotG ult = boring :^)

That said, when I see her played in pro matches, the "loop" she has seems to be a bit boring. Hack heatlh pack, place teleport thing, cloak, hack / attack someone behind enemy lines with one magazine, teleport back, repeat. EMP when needed.

Funny, I just noticed your post lol, and I respectfully disagree :b

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm not sure what version of the game you're playing if you believe that. She absolutely shreds people up close. Anyone with a decently sized hitbox is toast if you get the drop on them (excluding Tanks obviously but even then they are great for farming ult charge).

Maybe custom game with all abilities turned off and only primary fire allowed?

Jellie

Is there any trick to controlling Sombra's recoil? Much like with 76, if I fire more than 2-4 bullets, it's nearly impossible to hit bodyshots let alone headshots.

Even pointblank range is very difficult to kill for me with Sombra.
Just empty your clip at mid to close range depending on the enemy. Eg mccree and reaper have terrible hitbox and you don't want to get near so you can one v one them mid range. You can one clip most dps or close to it if you are good with the aim. Tanks get shredded too.

As for the whole "combat loop" that people think Sombra is stuck rigidly in, I urge them to try and be a bit more creative with her kit. You can use her Translocator mid-fight now that its CD is only four seconds. The only time I ever do her "loop" now is when I'm first to engage (when the team fight hasn't started yet).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
As for the whole "combat loop" that people think Sombra is stuck rigidly in, I urge them to try and be a bit more creative with her kit. You can use her Translocator mid-fight now that its CD is only four seconds. The only time I ever do her "loop" now is when I'm first to engage (when the team fight hasn't started yet).

If you mean me, I was just basing it off the few times I saw her in pro matches.

What in her kit does damage? Lol

You guys are crazy to argue this, I didn't say she sucks, I said her gun doesn't do very much damage. That's not argument it's fact.
Who said that you were saying she sucked? What? We're disagreeing with the fact that her gun is supposedly weak, which is completely false. I have to wonder how much of her you've even played if you think that. The only thing I can think of besides that is that you're somehow missing the majority of shots fired/only hitting body shots.

Who said that you were saying she sucked? What? We're disagreeing with the fact that her gun is supposedly weak, which is completely false. I have to wonder how much of her you've even played if you think that. The only thing I can think of besides that is that you're somehow missing the majority of shots fired.
Uh, literally the stats of the gun say that's it's weak dude. Lol

Jellie

What in her kit does damage? Lol

You guys are crazy to argue this, I didn't say she sucks, I said her gun doesn't do very much damage. That's not argument it's fact.
The gun does decent damage, it's the spread that's bad. If you compare to tracer then yeah it's weak but it does do damage quite well. Also, she's the most fun hero to me.

You said she was boring and seemed to imply it was solely because she doesn't do high damage.
Yea and that's exactly why I dont like her as much as it feels like I should. Not everyone needs to feel the same way.

But the fact that she doesn't do high damage isn't up for debate.

The gun does decent damage, it's the spread that's bad. If you compare to tracer then yeah it's weak but it does do damage quite well. Also, she's the most fun hero to me.
Well it's all relative of course, compared to nothing Sombra does indeed 'shred' I assume that we have an obvious basis of conversation here and when we compare her guns, we do it to the characters that are in her category, of which she is the weakest.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yea and that's exactly why I dont like her as much as it feels like I should. Not everyone needs to feel the same way.

I dunno, I'm ignorant as to her damage output. I'm sure it's low compared to the other DPS classes so if that's all you're looking for in a character then I see why you wouldn't like her. I think a bit more goes into a making a character exciting vs. boring to play as though, even the DPS classes.

Go into the practice range the next time you log on to the game, shoot a couple of bots with Soldier/Tracer and then shoot a couple of them as Sombra. I think you'll be surprised at what you find. :p

An inferior version, to be sure.
Can you post your account name so I can look up your damage stats and we can get this over with? Lol

DevilDog

An inferior version, to be sure.

Just let me be clear, Sombra's gun is weak af and if you die from it you probably never move around her shots.

Maybe on console it happens more often since people are running in straight lines but on PC once you start spammign ADAD good luck landing any shots.

Can you post your account name so I can look up your damage stats and we can get this over with? Lol
Or you could just do what I said and literally compare her raw damage output to other DPS heroes in a controlled environment? How would individual stats on any player's account matter when you're trying to argue her flat DPS numbers? There's nothing to get over here. If you want to see what me and others are telling you, test it out yourself. I dunno why you're getting so heated about this, enough to bust out the "lol let me see ur k/d bro whats ur account" shtick. :p

Just let me be clear, Sombra's gun is weak af and if you die from it you probably never move around her shots.

Maybe on console it happens more often since people are running in straight lines but on PC once you start spammign ADAD good luck landing any shots.
I mean, he was the one that brought up "on paper" so I'm just responding to accusations of low raw damage output. That said, I play on PC and your statement is pretty hyperbolic. It's plenty easy to hit the majority of your shots on strafing targets (except for Widow and Ana but that makes sense obviously). I just wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that her DPS sucks, especially after the buffs that allow her to play more offensively.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Even if Sombra's gun is more damaging than someone else's at x range when firing for y amount of time, clearly her sustain and DPS is lower due to her abilities when compared to the other DPS characters.

Jellie

Well it's all relative of course, compared to nothing Sombra does indeed 'shred' I assume that we have an obvious basis of conversation here and when we compare her guns, we do it to the characters that are in her category, of which she is the weakest.
You can't really compare her to others since her roles is very different with a different playstyle. She isn't meant to be a primary damage dealer like soldier or play like a Tracer. She's meant to disrupt the enemy, usually their tanks to allow the damage dealer to do work. She doesn't do high damage but its not weak damage like a winston tickle. It's a very decent amount of damage.
Damage includes shields lost from EMP btw so if you hit a 6 man sound barrier and a rein shield thats 5k damage.

Or you could just do what I said and literally compare her raw damage output to other DPS heroes in a controlled environment? How would individual stats on any player's account matter when you're trying to argue her flat DPS numbers? There's nothing to get over here. If you want to see what me and others are telling you, test it out yourself. I dunno why you're getting so heated about this, enough to bust out the "lol let me see ur k/d bro whats ur account" shtick. :p
You want to get into a pure stats game as an argument that Sombra's gun isn't weak? I can go shoot a stationary target dummy, and Sombra's gun will still do the lowest damage per bullet of any DPS. That's just how the game works.

I wasn't tying to be a dick. Unless your specific account is weird then I'm sure you do higher damage per game with basically every other damage causing hero.

This conversation is insane tbh. Pure stats say it's weak, you could never in a million years play her as the main DPS on the team. What more do you need to be convinced?

Did you mean to say it's "deceptively" powerful or something? Like you could quickly kill a Zen if you get a nice angle and he doesn't see you? I won't disagree with that.

Even if Sombra's gun is more damaging than someone else's at x range when firing for y amount of time, clearly her sustain and DPS is lower due to her abilities when compared to the other DPS characters.
I don't think anyone's arguing that because it's the truth. If you want straight DPS, there are better heroes to play in that regard. She was never meant to be that type of hero anyways.

You want to get into a pure stats game as an argument that Sombra's gun isn't weak? I can go shoot a stationary target dummy, and Sombra's gun will still do the lowest damage per bullet of any DPS. That's just how the game works.

I wasn't tying to be a dick. Unless your specific account is weird then I'm sure you do higher damage per game with basically every other damage causing hero.

This conversation is insane tbh. Pure stats say it's weak, you could never in a million years play her as the main DPS on the team. What more do you need to be convinced?

Did you mean to say it's "deceptively" powerful or something? Like you could quickly kill a Zen if you get a nice angle and he doesn't see you? I won't disagree with that.
You're not accounting for her RoF at all, which is why I said to go test it out. Her low bullet damage means nothing when she outputs 20 bullets a second.

Of course me and any other person who has played most DPS heroes on an account will have higher damage numbers with other heroes besides her... she was never designed to be in a fight for too long as opposed to someone like Soldier. It's an irrelevant stat because it doesn't properly represent kill time (your argument was that she felt weak, unless you've changed that).

She is not a replacement for hard DPS and no one was arguing otherwise because she was never designed to be that (this is where I pick a bone with how Blizzard classifies heroes but that's a different discussion). I don't know why you think I need to be convinced of anything in regards to this?

As for your last point... yes, that is usually how you're supposed to play a ganker like Sombra most effectively lol. That described scenario is where she is best (and happens pretty much any time you flank with her).

You can't really compare her to others since her roles is very different with a different playstyle. She isn't meant to be a primary damage dealer like soldier or play like a Tracer. She's meant to disrupt the enemy, usually their tanks to allow the damage dealer to do work. She doesn't do high damage but its not weak damage like a winston tickle. It's a very decent amount of damage.

Damage includes shields lost from EMP btw so if you hit a 6 man sound barrier and a rein shield thats 5k damage.

I don't think anyone's arguing that because it's the truth. If you want straight DPS, there are better heroes to play in that regard. She was never meant to be that type of hero anyways.
I dont even know what we're arguing about then. I've said nothing that disputes any of this.

DevilDog

I mean, he was the one that brought up "on paper" so I'm just responding to accusations of low raw damage output. That said, I play on PC and your statement is pretty hyperbolic. It's plenty easy to hit the majority of your shots on strafing targets (except for Widow and Ana but that makes sense obviously). I just wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that her DPS sucks, especially after the buffs that allow her to play more offensively.

It doesn't suck, but it's nowhere near as damaging as any of the other dps players.

Also, I don't know what reaction times you have, but hitting a strafing target with the majority of her shots is impossible. Especially if lucio is in the team with his speed aura.

Jellie

I dont even know what we're arguing about then. I've said nothing that disputes any of this.

Well you said its weak when it really isn't. Not saying it's strong but it's pretty good when you get good with it. Like my Tracer game is now really bad cos I'm so used to Sombras spread.
It doesn't suck, but it's nowhere near as damaging as any of the other dps players.

Also, I don't know what reaction times you have, but hitting a strafing target with the majority of her shots is impossible. Especially if lucio is in the team with his speed aura.

Don't find it hard. One v one'd a mccree who was adad spamming yesterday then he got rezzed and did it again. Probably just a bad mccree.

Well you said its weak when it really isn't. Not saying it's strong but it's pretty good when you get good with it. Like my Tracer game is now really bad cos I'm so used to Sombras spread.
It is weak in general. For her specific role? Sure, it's fine. Compared to every other bullet firing object you shoot in Overwatch as a tank or DPS except I guess Dva (but she shoots much more often and accurately) it is weak.

Powerful gun and "gets the job done" are two different things.

Anne

Sombra's on the lower end of damage but it's more than enough to murder people tbh. That being said, you def don't pick her for damage. Medkit denial and EMP farming are just insane against things like trip DPS ever since Lucio got the "bat".

It is weak in general. For her specific role? Sure, it's fine. Compared to every other bullet firing object you shoot in Overwatch as a tank or DPS except I guess Dva (but she shoots much more often and accurately) it is weak.

Powerful gun and "gets the job done" are two different things.
Why else would you play her in anything other than her intended role? Of course she's not ideal when you're not playing her in the way she was intended to be played. WAT. If your whole argument is based off of playing her in unideal circumstances then suddenly this debate makes a lot more sense. :p

Why else would you play her in anything other than her intended role? Of course she's not ideal when you're not playing her in the way she was intended to be played. WAT. If your whole argument is based off of playing her in unideal circumstances then suddenly this whole debate makes a lot more sense. :p
It's fine as in she is a viable character.

Timeline:
I say I don't like Sombra very much because of her gun, which is a perfectly fine opinion to have

I admittedley start shit with the spitball analogy but it was seriously jarring to see "Sombra hits so hard" so I made a joke.

Then you guys say that the gun is amazing and it's me sucking, so I have to push back.

Then you say go compare it to other DPS, which is when I really got confused. (This is the point that you three seem to have completely dropped, so we're good I guess)

She doesn't do as much damage as her counterparts. And I don't enjoy playing her very much because of her gun. Nothing has changed.

Timeline:
I say I don't like Sombra very much because of her gun, which is a perfectly fine opinion to have

I admittedley start shit with the spitball analogy but it was seriously jarring to see "Sombra hits so hard" so I made a joke.

Then you guys say that the gun is amazing and it's me sucking, so I have to push back.

Then you say go compare it to other DPS, which is when I really got confused. (This is the point that you three seem to have completely dropped, so we're good I guess)

She doesn't do as much damage as her counterpoints. And I don't enjoy playing her very much because of her gun. Nothing has changed.
For the bold, you brought up her damage per bullet being low without considering RoF, so I in turn said you should go test her raw DPS out on a stationary target vs. another DPS hero and see what you find. That's all that ever was. :p

Veelk

Banned
I just don't understand why Sombra isn't classified as a defense hero or even support hero if her primary strength is in harassing the team via health pack and ability trolling and not damage.

I just don't understand why Sombra isn't classified as a defense hero or even support hero if her primary strength is in harassing the team via health pack and ability trolling and not damage.
I mentioned it above but I feel the exact same way. Roadhog for instance may as well be classified as DPS.

DevilDog

Don't find it hard. One v one'd a mccree who was adad spamming yesterday then he got rezzed and did it again. Probably just a bad mccree.

Since aiming is about prediction, and Overwatch offers an instantaneous direction changing ability you can throw off people's aim really hard.

If you get your ADAD timings down, you can actually never get hit on purpose. It's incredibly demanding though and it depends on the reaction time of you opponent, as well as the type of weapon that he is using.

For projectiles, you need to factor in the distance as well.

accx

y'all people going on a lose streak should implement the 3 matches rule.
If you lose three games in a row, switch to QP or another game for the night.

This is coming from someone that was stubborn enough to lose over 600 SR over the course of one night. Well two nights really since i did the exact same thing the weekend after that.
I think i lost like 24 matches in a row or something near that number... Both times it took the whole week to climb up again.
I find that it works similar when winning as well. three or so matches winning, then rest/qp/other game, then back at it again. Been climbing steadily, albeit slow.
For the last week i've only been doing QP.. Trying to get out of the soldier one trick hole i've dug for myself. Might even be maining Ana next season!

Azoor

Her damage output is not all that great either.

Owzers

Timeline:

She doesn't do as much damage as her counterparts. And I don't enjoy playing her very much because of her gun. Nothing has changed.

Vault: wrong about Sombra, wrong about my Mercy skills, wrong for America.

Owzers 2020.

Anne

Being a tank player is the funniest fucking shit I have ever experienced in a competitive video game. Playing Rein in lower elo servers has told me more about the human condition than any philosopher ever could.

antitrop

Lost my GM promo game because our Mercy never Rez'd on King's Row. Easily one of Mercy's best maps, too. :(

In all my hundreds of hours of Comp, I've never seen a team as angry as they were at her.

JHall

Lost my GM promo game because our Mercy never Rez'd on King's Row. Easily one of Mercy's best maps, too. :(

In all my hundreds of hours of Comp, I've never seen a team as angry as they were at her.

Boosted one trick Mercy for season 4 is the new boosted one trick DVA of season 3.

KiraFA37

C8f3o3l.png

Reminder that the weekly PC-Inhouse is within 30 hours. Join the Discord if you want to join, quote to reveal the join link.

Top Bottom