• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Fugu

I think Mei needs a bit of a rework. I love playing her to death but she is extremely situational and her combination of low damage and above average survivabiliy doesn't quite fit in with the tendency for the game to demand that non-healers have a lot of one or the other.

The most useful change I can think of is to make freezing happen faster. As it is right now, her ability to solo kill is like Roadhog's except it's much easier for her to be interrupted and subsequently more dangerous for her to commit to getting the kill with enemies nearby. Mei needs more teamfighting abilities if she'sc going to be viable outside of... well, Hanamura A.

I haven't had a chance to participate in any of the in-house events but I'm reading how sometimes there are people tilting in them. I feel like these are the type of games you should be enjoying for fun and not having to get mad. It's not like you have your rank on the line.

They are for fun. There was a single-man tilt incident before but it wasn't anything major. Today we had issues because there was a lack of balance and shot callers; last three in-house events were more balanced so people were used to it.

We usually put captains who are the best players or the two shot callers and let them pick, do one match and then balance the teams accordingly. This time was kinda different with shot callers and roles (DPS people all on the same team and lack of tank mains).

It is all good though. There was a small argument but it was mostly about balance and preparing the next in-house. It is just for fun and practicing (the most fun and best moments of OW were in-house). I plan on making a compilation of good moments and fails later in the future.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I think Mei needs a bit of a rework. I love playing her to death but she is extremely situational and her combination of low damage and above average survivabiliy doesn't quite fit in with the tendency for the game to demand that non-healers have a lot of one or the other.

The most useful change I can think of is to make freezing happen faster. As it is right now, her ability to solo kill is like Roadhog's except it's much easier for her to be interrupted and subsequently more dangerous for her to commit to getting the kill with enemies nearby. Mei needs more teamfighting abilities if she'sc going to be viable outside of... well, Hanamura A.

I find her decent on Anubis B as well. Any opportunity for her to cut off the first 1 or 2 people with her ice wall behind them is good but pretty rare for maps to provide that opportunity I guess.

What is up with games lately? Every other game there is either a thrower or an unintentional disconnect. I would be complaining more but it seems like 8/10 times I've gotten free wins as a result of the other team having those issues.

rulerk1

So many close matches tonight lol. I think that Anubis match was probably the highlight for me. New season high of 3331 ❤️

That last game was amazing. The reverse sweep took so many heroic plays to pull off.

The random with the 3 man Dva bomb
ND stalling point long enough for backup
Owzers triple boop (stole like 3 potential POTG's from me btw)
I had a couple really good death blossoms

Everyone played really well, we got absolutely rolled first two points, those switches we made were perfect.

Awesome stack overall, new season high.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know I've said this a few times in the past, but after this weekend's games, I think I'm shelving Overwatch for a little while.

It's just so damn impossible to sway a game in your favor by yourself or with a friend. Without a whole team stack, you just have no control on your destiny.

Today, me and my best friend played 25+ games, and I think we won, like, four... maybe? We were playing great. Consistently getting gold medals for most elims or most objective time. I'd regularly play Mercy with 20K+ healing. We weren't always our 100% best, but we were playing damn confidently.

But we can't - not matter how well we sync - overcome things like:

A D.Va trying to take pot-shots from a football field away
A rein that never, ever pushes
Offensive Hanzos that can't even get bronze elims

It really takes the fun out of it. There were several "holy shit" moments where we just knocked it out of the park - a Mei freeze and then his Hog going to town with his ult. Us Pharmercy dancing in the air. D.Va pushing people off the edge. Those amazing, clutch moments used to be enough to keep the flame of fun going. But loss after loss after loss after loss because it seems half the community doesn't give a shit to play the way their hero is designed, or ever switches, is just painful.

My second most played hero is Mercy - maybe 75 of my 200 hours, I think? Yesterday, I decided I would just quit any game where we didn't have a healer in the first minute if I didn't choose healer. I had "quit game" penalties, I'm not exaggerating, for over 25 games in a row. Today, I think my friend and I ended the game with a different hero than we started in every.single.game. Everyone else? Always the same hero the round started with. Every time. Without fail.

For a game that is so heavily team focused, it sucks that when playing with randoms alongside your buddy, nobody seems to ever want to work as a team.

The four or five games we won? I SAID we'd win in the first 30 seconds - why? Everyone had a mic, was being friendly, and using callouts. So simple. So effective. And nobody does it.

I know, I know - join GAF group or join Discord.. I get it. But I don't like to spend 30 minutes setting something up or feeling committed to playing several games. I just wish the community within itself was decent enough to have fun with.

I'm not mad - I'm sad. Disappointed. I love almost everything about this game from controls to art to gameplay to support to level design to hero selection to lore... but man, the community just kind of stinks :(

Owzers

That last game was amazing. The reverse sweep took so many heroic plays to pull off.

Everyone played really well, we got absolutely rolled first two points, those switches we made were perfect.

I was only missing boops earlier in the round to make them feel safe.

Games like that last game are my favourite,good job team! :D felt nice to go on a streak like that with the crew, it's been awhile.

Thx for going zen, playing against a comp like that wasn't an easy task.

3-1 as Mercy tonight, main numbers I reckon, let's just not make ressing a big deal.

Don't forget to save your rez for the next game, you might need it :p

OW is great again.

Owzers never booped anyone the entire game, it was all mind games so they would drop their defenses so he could get the potg for sure when they were all there. I knew he needed a good one to top your reaper plays.

GGs.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How the hell yall reach over 20k healing in a game. I barely hit over 12k at my most and I feel I make sweaty plays as mercy

It's - in my opinion - damn near impossible to get within a single objective of cart or point. But assuming the game goes until the last point, it's not that difficult if you're constantly refilling everyone up the second they take damage. You just have to "dance" between your team constantly. It's especially easy if you have tanks that will actually push - because they'll take a lot of damage but you can keep them topped off as you hit the frontlines.

Thx for going zen, playing against a comp like that wasn't an easy task.

Don't forget to save your rez for the next game, you might need it :p

OW is great again.

Owzers never booped anyone the entire game, it was all mind games so they would drop their defenses so he could get the potg for sure when they were all there. I knew he needed a good one to top your reaper plays.

GGs.
I know that the enemy team had a comp that killed us the first two rounds but they were insane to never switch anything. Especially considering they were a 6 stack.

No Dva no Rein, not even a Zarya. The easiest death blossoms of my life. We could literally initiate fights with it just speed boost sound barrier in and it was a team kill. They had nothing whatsoever to counter it. That dude stayed Winston all game too.

For one brief moment Reaper remembered what it was like to dominate Overwatch.

If this game has taught me anything, its that if your team has a 4 or 5 man premade, and the other team has none or multiple 2 mans, chances are you are about to lose horribly.

Seems like almost every large premade I play with in this game is utter shit. They lock roles, they don't swap, they don't join team chat, etc.

I know that the enemy team had a comp that killed us the first two rounds but they were insane to never switch anything. Especially considering they were a 6 stack.

No Dva no Rein, not even a Zarya. The easiest death blossoms of my life. We could literally initiate fights with it just speed boost sound barrier in and it was a team kill. They had nothing whatsoever to counter it. That dude stayed Winston all game too.

For one brief moment Reaper remembered what it was like to dominate Overwatch.

Playing him feels so good in the right comp, you killed it. They probably should have switched the Winston for a D.Va, the bubble wasn't doing much there, we could pop it immediately. Glad they didn't.

KuroNeeko

I started playing Winston for the first time this weekend and I think I'm hooked! (figuratively)

I mean...he's a dive-bombing gorilla with a jetpack...

AbaFadi

Banned
If this game has taught me anything, its that if your team has a 4 or 5 man premade, and the other team has none or multiple 2 mans, chances are you are about to lose horribly.

Seems like almost every large premade I play with in this game is utter shit. They lock roles, they don't swap, they don't join team chat, etc.

Basically. When I see a masters 4-stack on my team I just accept defeat right at the beginning of the match.

When I started Overwatch back in January, I assumed that a big stack was a bunch of serious competitive players all working together to get better as an organized group.

Now I know it's almost always a group of half-drunk college students with their SOs.

:( our 4 and 5 stacks always go into team chat and try to be good teammates, its usually the other people on the team who never talk or even enter chat.

A four stack with a duo almost never ends well.

:( our 4 and 5 stacks always go into team chat and try to be good teammates, its usually the other people on the team who never talk or even enter chat.

A four stack with a duo almost never ends well.
This is really what you make of it, when i group up with 2-4 other people we always go to team chat to get in with the other 2
I started playing Winston for the first time this weekend and I think I'm hooked! (figuratively)

I mean...he's a dive-bombing gorilla with a jetpack...
I graviated to Winston naturally because of so many ginjis and lucios, but he really is a blast to play and probably my main if i had to pick one. Being the one responsible for chasing down the mercy or tracer or soldier that's wreacking havoc is so satisfying

Big Nikus

"lmao they killed my whole team but not me, time to rez everyo-"

"¡Apagando las luces!"

wV6xvEX.gif

Blizzard

Banned
After trying to fill, be a good team player, and play Reinhardt or Zarya every game, I followed the advice to basically ignore everyone and try to Pharah every game.

I ended up gaining like 250 points back to 2100, so I guess that advice worked.

So people think Torb is a meme pick?

I do pick him quite often on defense and usually end up getting medals in elims, obj. kills and damage, often gold ones.

I suppose this means I am the unicorn torb, or that my teammates and / or opponents are bad at the game?

This happens in gold league on PS4 btw.

edit. I actually do think I know how to play Torb, staying alive, putting the turret into a good spot, keeping people armoured, popping ult at the right time etc.

I pick Torb often and he is by far the character I have the most success with, probably because I only pick him when I feel he is really needed. He has the highest winrate of my most played characters at 72%
I feel like good torb players know that they don't have to place their turret at the same spot all the time, I always move my turret around inbetween pushes.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Since having a leaver on your team is basically a dice roll, why not just bring back the coin flip they had in season one.

They might as well add as much RNG to this as Hearthstone.

Top Bottom