• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Paltheos

Between being the last week of the season and a new event, I'm just going to grind out enough Comp games today to not have to play until next season's placements.

I'm thinking of doing the same. I've been playing allot though, so I should have to play only 2 more games this week to not drop. On the other hand, there's a 3 day weekend coming up and I do enjoy me some Overwatch.

I just jumped back into comp last week playing solo because I'm a masochist, my rating after placement was 2328. The next day get matched up with 5 other solo players and we go an insane hour long win streak and my rating goes up to 2499. The next day I lose like 10 games in a row on some really terrible teams and my rating goes down to 2300. Playing comp solo with only 2-3 people on the team communicating is dumb.

LiK

Quick play is the worst mode on the planet how the hell did I play this for months before Blizzard released comp

Since we had nothing else, that was the only way to play. Remember hero stacking? I dunno how we didn't just quit the game back then.

https://www.overwatchcontenders.com/

Blizzard is excited to announce Overwatch Contenders—the development league for aspiring Overwatch League professionals, kicking off this summer in North America and Europe. Over the first year of organized Overwatch competition, we’ve seen an incredible exhibition of skill at Overwatch APEX in South Korea, the Overwatch Pacific Championship in the Asia-Pacific region, and the Overwatch Premier Series in China. It’s time to bring that level of competition to the West.

If you and your team have what it takes to compete with the best in the West, Overwatch Contenders is your chance to shine. To find the top teams on the North American and European servers, Season Zero of Overwatch Contenders will be an open signup, online-only qualifier to determine the top eight teams in each of those two regions. Each of these tournaments will have a prize pool of USD $50,000.

Looks like they're finally taking steps towards the Overwatch League

Paltheos

Quick play is the worst mode on the planet how the hell did I play this for months before Blizzard released comp

Because the game was young and we were playful and eager but also most people were trying to win because quick play is all there was. I remember, distinctly, quick play becoming garbage nearly overnight after comp was released.

Prelude.

Got my shit tier placements with lv25s and leavers done, 6-4, 2470. One game and I'm in plat so I can stop playing until next season.
And, of course, I lost the first game so now I'm 2455.

Paltheos

I've been thinking about something for awhile - And mind you this is only a wish that probably won't come to pass because it disincentivizes play from a set of players - But I wish that, after trying to match players by rank, the game then further matches players based off the breadth of their hero pools (to an extent, wait time for matches shouldn't increase that much but maybe allow a slightly wider band of players into an average to compensate).

This kind of matchmaking should force players to learn other heroes. Those that learn other characters will gradually spread their play time across many more heroes and be matched with more versatile players themselves. Those that don't will continue to remain at the bottom getting trapped with other one-tricks.

Ideally the system would composite more distributed play among multiple heroes together with more play among multiples classes (grouping offense and defense heroes into one batch) so that the DPS one-trick doesn't just jump to other DPS.

I'm personally just kinda sick of all the one-trick Mercys I've been meeting in Diamond who won't switch off her and are garbage at anything else (for when another Mercy player has joined and won't give her up). 'Force 'em onto something else or group them altogether', I thought,

Website isn't loading? Saw it on Reddit though, decently excited since orgs are gonna be scouting for League teams here. Hopefully a lot of new faces rise up and participate.

If anyone can't get to the website all the info you need can be found here

Ok with OW Contenders when do we get GAF US and GAF EU teams....

This is technically possible considering the cutoff is masters (lol), if GAF Overwatch PC wanted to make a team and compete, they could!

Ramirez

Leak me a Rein skin or I will play Reaper tonight.

I meant to tell you last night, you said I took too long to fall back on Gibraltar. I purposely stayed up top to kill the Bastion, then ulted and killed Lucio and someone else. I have no clue how we lost the first point, but it had nothing to do with where I was, lol. Had I fell back with you all, the Bastion would have just melted us.

Owzers

I meant to tell you last night, you said I took too long to fall back on Gibraltar. I purposely stayed up top to kill the Bastion, then ulted and killed Lucio and someone else. I have no clue how we lost the first point, but it had nothing to do with where I was, lol. Had I fell back with you all, the Bastion would have just melted us.

I don't even remember them having a bastion. What if you killed something that didn't exist?

LordofPwn

Got my shit tier placements with lv25s and leavers done, 6-4, 2470. One game and I'm in plat so I can stop playing until next season.
And, of course, I lost the first game so now I'm 2455.

I got up to 2488 after i got screwed over in placements. (almost 300SR lower than where i ended last season) I just needed one win to get to plat, hell even just a loss and a win. but nope, lost like 5 in a row. played more this season than the other seasons combined to get back to platinum. i made it back up to 2444 but now i'm at 2402. i had hit as low as 2290. Gold is a hell hole vortex of inconsistent teams. I hope you make it out of gold. a friend of mine that i play with was silver at the start of last season and now he's almost to masters.

Blues1990

With regards to tomorrow's anniversary event, what dance emotes are you hoping the characters will have? I won't be satisfied unless Reinhardt performs a traditional Schuhplattler dance for his emote.

Roadhog? A Turkish belly dance would be funny, but I'm hoping that ol' pig face performs the Haka.

With regards to tomorrow's anniversary event, what dance emotes are you hoping the characters will have? I won't be satisfied unless Reinhardt performs a traditional Schuhplattler dance for his emote.

Roadhog? A Turkish belly dance would be funny, but I'm hoping that ol' pig face performs the Haka.

Widowmaker used to be a ballet dancer, so you can probably expect that

Sec0nd

Came back to playing Overwatch after taking a break for a while. For some reason unknown I started to play some Orisa. I thought she was a super useless character at the moment. But I'm really enjoying her. It's a risky pick for sure. But the way she can totally block off areas of the map with her shield is really underrated. And she can do boats loads of damage as well. The stats she puts out can't really portray the use she can have.

randome

Came back to playing Overwatch after taking a break for a while. For some reason unknown I started to play some Orisa. I thought she was a super useless character at the moment. But I'm really enjoying her. It's a risky pick for sure. But the way she can totally block off areas of the map with her shield is really underrated. And she can do boats loads of damage as well. The stats she puts out can't really portray the use she can have.

Aren't they nerfing orisas damage?

Crzy1

Hmm... I've entirely skipped competitive this season, except for 2 placement matches. Guess I should at least do the other 8 to get the CP.

Have just been in no mood to play it.

antitrop

They are? Nooooo. She is already such a risky pick and quite difficult to play. If they are going to nerf her damage I fear she might be severely underpowered. :(

Fusion Driver damage reduced by 15%
Protective Barrier cooldown reduced from 12 seconds to 8 seconds

It's an overall buff.

Sec0nd

Fusion Driver damage reduced by 15%
Protective Barrier cooldown reduced from 12 seconds to 8 seconds

It's an overall buff.

Cool. That doesn't seem too bad. In all honesty my barriers don't really get destroyed that often before the end of my cooldown. But it'll help with placing barriers more liberally.

I do wish they would give her 100 more armor or something. Out of all the tanks I feel the most squishy as her. If you are without barrier you are done.

Edit: But I guess the decrease of the barrier cooldown will help with that as well.

Ramirez

It's so stupid that Hanzo can one shot Orisa with scattershot. Scattershot should be an ability that is used for hallways, the way it's shown in game makes no sense with how you actually get kills with it. Shit ability.

Instead of Scattershot, Hanzo should have a shot that goes through walls. It would work perfectly with his other ability and help him get shots. :)

Prelude.

I got up to 2488 after i got screwed over in placements. (almost 300SR lower than where i ended last season) I just needed one win to get to plat, hell even just a loss and a win. but nope, lost like 5 in a row. played more this season than the other seasons combined to get back to platinum. i made it back up to 2444 but now i'm at 2402. i had hit as low as 2290. Gold is a hell hole vortex of inconsistent teams. I hope you make it out of gold. a friend of mine that i play with was silver at the start of last season and now he's almost to masters.
I mean, I don't really care since it's almost over and I'm gonna do my next placements soon, I'm just doing it for the points, but this is the exact reason why I didn't play S4 at all. I'm sick of being placed just right before plat and having a series of abysmal games just to get those few points I need, when it goes back to normal as soon as I'm over 2500. Like, fuck off, stop robbing me of 300ish SR (regardless of my placements) and leave me in the same tier at least. These gold games are harder than diamond games, it doesn't make any sense.
But yeah, last season I had something similar to you as well, I placed right before plat and it took me like a month to get out of gold.

Blues1990

Need leaks

fresh-leeks-1618689.jpg

Nekrono

Rank decay def shouldn't touch Diamond players.

I believe it should, the way I see it Bronze through Plat is completely different from Diamond to Top 500.

Bronze-Plat is like the division that most people will fall into, the average player that is good but won't take the game that seriously should be able to reach Plat and maintain it without much problem however Diamond and beyond is a completely different game, sure Diamond is not that different than Plat but if you're looking to climb the ladders this is your starting area, this is where you start taking the game seriously, it makes sense to have decay start at this bracket.

I think of it this way... more casual play (Bronze-Plat), serious play (Diamond-Top500).

Skii

I believe it should, the way I see it Bronze through Plat is completely different from Diamond to Top 500.

Bronze-Plat is like the division that most people will fall into, the average player that is good but won't take the game that seriously should be able to reach Plat and maintain it without much problem however Diamond and beyond is a completely different game, sure Diamond is not that different than Plat but if you're looking to climb the ladders this is your starting area, this is where you start taking the game seriously, it makes sense to have decay start at this bracket.

I think of it this way... more casual play (Bronze-Plat), serious play (Diamond-Top500).

It's like the top 13% which really isn't that small of a population of players. Diamond players aren't serious at all. There is constant throwing/trolling so I don't buy that. Masters is where the game actually is at a fairly serious level and thats the top 4% I believe. So really decay should only start Masters and higher. Punishing Diamond players for not playing often even though diamond really isn't anything serious is stupid.

Second season in a row now that the end is basically a fight to stay above 3000. Two straight losses last night and I'm back down to 2929. It's like as soon as I get slightly back over 3000, the game sends me down a losing streak. Ugh. I really, really hope placements are kinder in Season 5 because if I have to fight out of Plat again, I swear to everything, Blizzard.

Top Bottom