• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Trey

Finally got the game, extremely LTTP. Usually don't play with a mouse and keyboard since I'm on a comfy couch setup but I'm guessing it's a necessity for this game.

What's a good character to get started on? I've been using Mercy to ease myself back in to KB/M. Orisa looks like an interesting DPS hero. Seems like a fairly daunting game to get into these days.

Soldier 76. Fits into any comp, deals solid damage, has good survivability, and is hitscan so you can dust up your aiming.

exYle

Just jumped into the game today...

7368bba925cab9dd176e32f7ce8c4d1fbf9917c0870d39ecfe8254874e42b907.jpg

So far playing support more than anything else (I like Zenyatta, don't kill me), gives it a better feel than just trying to max out K/D like I imagine a lot of new players do.

I probably won't ever try to get super competitive with it, just jump on now and again and play a few matches here and there.

It is fun, though, I'll give it that. Moreso than watching videos on YT or Twitch would lead you to believe.

Zen is the best bro. Anybody who tells you otherwise is wrong.

Though don't solo heal as him, that's just asking for trouble

leng jai

Orisa is a tank and not a DPS. Hitting moving targets with her gun is actually next to impossible so I wouldn't really pick her looking to deal damage. Soldier is a good first DPS, and if you want something less standard Tracer, Pharah, McCree are all p simple. Otherwise, just pick what you like honestly. Most of the characters are p simple.

Yeah just played a round with her and noticed she has 400hp.

Soldier 76. Fits into any comp, deals solid damage, has good survivability, and is hitscan so you can dust up your aiming.

Will check out Soldier. Just with Mercy, how does her dash move work? It's a 2 second cool down but half the time press shift it doesn't do anything.

I think Tracer isn't exactly simple. In fact I'd argue she's one of the hardest characters because not only do you have to know the maps well (so you know where you are going, and which shortcuts you can take), but you also have to at the very least get used to the distance of her blink.
I still have issues blinking in mid combat because it disorients me as to where I have to look exactly lol.

Will check out Soldier. Just with Mercy, how does her dash move work? It's a 2 second cool down but half the time press shift it doesn't do anything.

You have to have an ally (or their "soul" after they die which only Mercy can see) in your crosshairs, you will then fly to them. Mercy cannot dash on her own. You can however descend slowly by pressing space in midair.

Trey

you have to be targeting a team mate. You can't shift unless you're looking directly at an ally.

Gorillaz

Finally got the game, extremely LTTP. Usually don't play with a mouse and keyboard since I'm on a comfy couch setup but I'm guessing it's a necessity for this game.

What's a good character to get started on? I've been using Mercy to ease myself back in to KB/M. Orisa looks like an interesting DPS hero. Seems like a fairly daunting game to get into these days.

depends CoD Guy 76 is a good all around starter

Got my first and weirdest hate mail today in quickplay. I was playing Dva on Napal and using her shield constantly on the point, trying to hold it for the team. Then suddenly I get a msg from my own teammate saying "all you do is spam your shield you little pansy, even against a soldier. You suck so bad" so bizarre, if I didn't spam my shield, me and my teammates would have died sooo? I don't get it. We also won the game & didn't die once in that round.

Instead of defending myself and wasting time, I just sent him pictures of cute lil bears.

Chance

So far playing support more than anything else (I like Zenyatta, don't kill me), gives it a better feel than just trying to max out K/D like I imagine a lot of new players do.

I highly recommend hitting a wiki and reading up on the numbers behind his attacks and orbs, and more importantly how his ult works and what it does. For any hero you get in to, really.

I've seen way too many Zens pop Transendence to save our team from D.Va ults or High Noons lol

I think Tracer isn't exactly simple. In fact I'd argue she's one of the hardest characters because not only do you have to know the maps well (so you know where you are going, and which shortcuts you can take), but you also have to at the very least get used to the distance of her blink.
I still have issues blinking in mid combat because it disorients me as to where I have to look exactly lol

And if you're only blinking where you're looking, you're missing out on like 60% of Blink's potential. I remember when my brother saw footage of me playing and was like "I didn't know Tracers could do that! ...how do you blink backwards..?"

Gah, got the new D.Va skin, why, it can't beat the police one, wish I got tracer instead.

S'better than Officer D.Va imo. Love the way she, her blaster and the meka look.

Soiks

Forget loot boxes, if Blizzard really want to get my money they'll invent some sort of device that let's me viciously shake people I've been teamed with for a fee.

I like QM match weirdos, had a engi today who built turrets like a mile back from the payload/fight while we were pushing.

His armor pack delivering was still on point tho so I still love him, easy win too, noone protected their mercy and I'd hunt her down as lucio all day and then heal the team while they had none.

Lucio does more damage than I thought I would, a lot easier to keep up a team too, had a match earlier where we had a fat guy, d.va and monkey guy on our team and I just could not keep up as ball throwing guy, switched to lucio and boom no stopping that train.

Does his knockback do damage?

Falchion

Bought the game on Wednesday and have been playing it like crazy. I bounced around a few heroes (Soldier 76, Tracer, Mercy, Genji, D.Va) before I tried out Sombra who is so much fun to play. I love it because she plays fast and you have to make a dozen decisions every ten seconds about how you want to use the beacon, what to hack, whether to start firing or go invisible and get behind the group, etc. She's my most played hero by a large margin now and I feel like her skill ceiling is crazy high.

MG310

Good games whoever I just played with along with Owzers. (Aside from that King's Row where I kept getting murdered by Widow)

Used up all of my gold on the Tracer and D.Va skins and Roadhog's dance. Only decent Anniversary thing I got out of the boxes so far was Cyborg 76.

The loot boxes this event are something else. This is the furthest into an event I've ever gone without getting any event skins and then one Legendary drop it decides to give me is a duplicate of a non event one.

I swear the drop rate / duplicate rate seems incredibly off this event

I tried to play the PC version... it was rough. 30fps with everything on low (game looks like shit), probably going to need a LOT of hours just to learn how to move the characters in a way that feels normal, let alone think about aiming. It was much worse than I thought but I guess that's normal for someone who never touched PC gaming besides online flash games basically.

Anyone else having disconnect issues? Since last night I've disconnected like 3-4 times. Even got banned and lost a ton of SR :|

Kinda late to this but yeah, I was playing mystery heroes today in the morning and I got disconnected a lot of times, even the practice range was unstable.

Guess it was because the free weekend.

You should be happy when I play Mercy, I die in the genji ult so I don't steal his potg.

At the risk of getting avatar quoted, outside of a Zarya ult, or immediately punishing a group res, a quad kill with dragonblade takes way more skill than a quad res.

True, and it's way more enjoyable to see. Genji potg are usually the best king of potg.

I tried to play the PC version... it was rough. 30fps with everything on low (game looks like shit), probably going to need a LOT of hours just to learn how to move the characters in a way that feels normal, let alone think about aiming. It was much worse than I thought but I guess that's normal for someone who never touched PC gaming besides online flash games basically.

Kinda late to this but yeah, I was playing mystery heroes today in the morning and I got disconnected a lot of times, even the practice range was unstable.

Guess it was because the free weekend.

True, and it's way more enjoyable to see. Genji potg are usually the best king of potg.
PS4 Gaf dropping like flies.

RIP

hypernima

Banned
Seems impatient on your part. Lmao

Should we be waiting every night for you to maybe get online? :p

I'm always online, it's just always an inopportune moment. Or I invite and someone's in stack, or I wait and never get notice that I can join up.

I can't sit at the social screen waiting for people to get out of games forever.

Pooh I'll play tomorrow, I'm spent.

Got the indian chick's anniversary outfit, it's the only one i really really wanted.

I wouldn't mind getting the annoying brittish girl's one too before it's over but I'm not supppper fussed.

I really want to like the purple stealth lady, but the little time delay between canceling stealth and being able to do anything feels so weird I don't like it.

Also, hammer guy's hammer swings feel so off and awkward as well.

I think Pharah and ball throwing guy are my two favorite characters so far.

I played one game of mercy, it was fun, but I just feel like someone's bitch the whole game. It's like TF2 medic but with no sexy heavy and no boooone saw and no needle gun.
I agree about purple stealth lady, her delays kinda kill the character for me.

Hammer guy's hammer swings were fucked up in the most recent update, should hopefully be fixed soon, usually isn't like that.

Also I prefer Mercy to Medic so much more, it's basically the Medic if he could fly
But the battle forums told me that DVA was unplayable.

cbwOVS3.jpg

Are they still on that?

I haven't checked in a while, but I'm sure they are still going.
I'll admit when she got the armor nerf (that was needed) I thought she was done for. Yet she's been my best hero the past month or so lol, she's definitely not useless by any stretch of the imagination and it's funny that the forums are still butthurt over the armor change.

She's not as good as when she was an invincible god with 400 armor and a pocket healer yeah but she's still damn good.

I'm happy there's a mode like mystery heroes when I'm solo, especially when there's an event going on. Comp can be frustrating, QP is awful, CTF no comment, the other arcade modes like 1vs1 or 3vs3 are just not my thing though I don't think they are bad. MH is just pure chill.

I wish there was a mode focused on booping similar to "This is Ilios" with Hog and Lucio. They could had Orisa and Pharah to that, it's usually fun.

I'm so trash In this can't stop playing tho lol. I wanna see what it's like with an actual team one day and voice chat so if any PS4 gaffers on I'd love to plays some day

I'm happy there's a mode like mystery heroes when I'm solo, especially when there's an event going on. Comp can be frustrating, QP is awful, CTF no comment, the other arcade modes like 1vs1 or 3vs3 are just not my thing though I don't think they are bad. MH is just pure chill.

I wish there was a mode focused on booping similar to "This is Ilios" with Hog and Lucio. They could had Orisa and Pharah to that, it's usually fun.
Yea I was gonna grind some loot boxes in MH in a bit. It's a decent mode.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Just realized that you can pull Winston back down from his jump with Orisa's Halt if you have a good sense of Winston's timing. Even if he's got his bubble up, Halt can ground him as he's jumping out of it, and it's incredibly satisfying to pull off.

I think I might trot out Orisa more often next season for attack rounds where my DPS is incompetent and doesn't know how to deal with Roadhog. She requires some creativity and she's slowwww, but there's potential there I think.

Top Bottom