• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Why are there 3 unranked players, one of which is level 29, in my 2800 SR game.

"hidden MMR" is a cancer.

Acidote

I just did all my placement matches today, with nefarious results and a really shitty season rating. At least I won't be long on ELO hell since the season is pretty much over. I can't wait to play a season when I have holidays and time to do my placement matches soon and try ty climb a little after that.

5 wins, 5 lost matches. I usually never tank, I'm a support/dps person, yet I was pretty much forced to tank (or Lucio, but that's ok) for all games since nobody wanted to. I only played one match as a soldier. It has been a little bit of a nightmare from the very beggining when I was paired for three games with the same Hanzo-Widowmaker premade (3 losses there) and a little bit later with a guy who constantly said "I only play Mei" and nothing else (4th lost match). He was sincere though. He only played Mei no matter what.

2942SR.

Water

I forgot my resolution to never play QP again and instantly remembered why I made it in the first place. I'm at 1600SR and QP always matches me with 2000-2500SR folks with maybe someone my level thrown in. Dunno wtf is up with that. Whether the teams are even or not, it's just not fun getting destroyed and never being able to get kills since all the opposing players are individually so much higher skilled. Went back to comp and immediately had a fun match.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I said I won't be on ELO hell for long since the season is ending and I'll probably just play a couple games.

But you won't be there at all? Doesn't the "hell" imply some extended period of time where one is unable to climb? If you get an SR out of placement then climb immediately, I don't think there's any elo hell there :v

antitrop

To me ELO hell is where you find lots of people that don't give a damn and make stupid picks, refuse to adapt, etc.
Top 500 is Elo Hell. There is no level of regular matchmaking where all people can play all heroes equally well and give 100% effort in every game.

KiraFA37

Reminder that tonight is inhouse night! Come and relax from a long weekend of try hard competitive and join the PC OverGAF crew in some laid back competitive games.

inhouse_wip.png

I just played my first quick play (after weeks of sporadic AI Training). Damn, playing with anxiety is tricky (sweat, gym clothes while gaming and a towel on the chair).

Any tips for playing as Mercy? I try to stay near the payload and the group, buffing the tank until I need to start healing, but if somebody gets too far away, I can't do nothing for them despite seeing them as critical. I have enabled the health bars to always be visible.

BTW, the healing ray works across walls? I'm not sure if it happened like that...

OVDRobo

I just played my first quick play (after weeks of sporadic AI Training). Damn, playing with anxiety is tricky (sweat, gym clothes while gaming and a towel on the chair).

Any tips for playing as Mercy? I try to stay near the payload and the group, buffing the tank until I need to start healing, but if somebody gets too far away, I can't do nothing for them despite seeing them as critical. I have enabled the health bars to always be visible.

BTW, the healing ray works across walls? I'm not sure if it happened like that...

Stick near the group but try to stay out of sight. Keep mindful of the battlefield and be prepared to escape if a flanker like Tracer or Genji targets you. Try to damage buff the most effective ally within your range if no one needs healing, but prioritise healing outside of specific circumstances like an allied Soldier ult or if there's another healer on your team already taking care of someone. Sometimes people overextend and get into situations where you flying in to save them will just get you both killed. Sometimes it's better to let someone die than have your team stuck without a healer while you run back from the spawn room.

Learning to resurrect well is also an acquired skill. Sometimes it's worth flying into a group of dead allies and resurrecting them even if you know you'll likely die and sometimes it can be worth a single ally res if you think that ally can tip the scales in your favour. It's a per-situation-basis

The most useful skill as a Mercy player is to be aware of the battlefield, your allies and their capabiltiies, your potential routes of escape and who is targeting you at any given time. Being able to make good judgments based on that information is key to playing Mercy well.

Sometimes you'll have matches where your entire team is split up, you're being mercilessly hunted by a Tracer or Genji, everyone will be bugging you for healing yet refusing to get in your line of sight so you can fly to them, and you'll feel like ripping your hair out. Just stay calm in these situations, even if you probably won't win.

Healing beam works through walls for a few seconds after line of sight has been lost, but shuts down after that. It's useful to know since it can often save an ally or yourself

Go into your settings and turn toggle beam to "on", so you don't have to keep holding the button down. Make sure you're healing over damage boosting, as that is how you get your ultimate faster. Only damage boost in specific situations, such as with a Bastion or an ulting Soldier 76. There's a few tips for ya, there is a lot of great Mercy guides on YouTube as well if you want to get into that.

And yeah her beam goes through walls for a couple seconds if you were already healing the target before they went behind a wall.

Cappa

Banned
How many hours left of comp? Haven't been home all weekend yet wondering if I'll be able to play any comp before season ends

time is based on local time it seem. unless that changed. i watched a stream that was 17 hours. mine was 19

but it's sitting at 9 hours right now.

first game back, won it on dorado easily

d.va defense with winston offense and winston for control continues to work wonders for me

only 114 away from plat now, might be able to surpass my 2707 career high too if I'm lucky

I also just realized I only played 1 2cp map and we got steamrolled then so that's quit the sign

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just got the new Dva skin, putting me at 2 event legendaries, which already makes this my best event to date lol (so you can imagine my usual bad luck).

i like when team argue. asking for a team change. and they dont but when its 30 seconds left they pick the worst hero and then the worst timing.

hypernima

Banned
what SR are you?

I've been climbing a lot as solo q and I dunno I may just stick with that until the end of the day if you don't mind

2320. We might run into each other on the field. Or on opposite sides.

Well I was. Ran into my first L of the game cause nobody wanted to heal or play Tank.

ElyrionX

I just finished one game that took 15 - 20 mins to complete. And I got like 2.5k xp which means I need 8 games to get 20k xp for the level up. That's 2hours of gameplay for one single loot box that is likely to be a goddamn white-white-blue-white. Fuck, they really need to be more generous with the lootboxes. And fuck them for the 20% group xp bonus. I just want to solo queue QP for fun for one or two games. It's hard to find groups or make friends that way.

10k xp per level sounds a lot more reasonable and even so, it still feels too much.

Prelude.

Why are there 3 unranked players, one of which is level 29, in my 2800 SR game.

"hidden MMR" is a cancer.
Were they solo queueing? I did my placements last week and the only people I found that weren't unranked were grouped up with an unranked friend, everyone else had no rank.

HMD

60 lootboxes later I have 4 out of the 11 skins. I also opened at least 10 other boxes on my other accounts and I got 0 skins out of those as well.

The chances for event skins seem actually lower this time around. Back in the Chinese new year event I bought something like 30 boxes and got almost everything.

Tarnpanzer

Overwatch GOTY worth it in comparison to Origin Edition?

OE retail costs 25€ here in germany, GOTY digital costs ~35€. 10€ extra worth getting the GOTY?

Top Bottom