• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

It's just ptr, save the rage for live.
I had ~50 hours on Roadhog last season. My next highest was 6 hours, I think. It's a change that would make me stop playing, so I'm not taking it lightly.

Roadhog was in a good place. No idea why Blizzard decided to nerf again. Might as well delete him. The current nerfs would be more ok if he had his bs OP linesight hook and 6 sec cooldown. But both at the same time and it becomes a lot more annoying to play him. And that shouldn't be a way you design a hero.
I'm totally fine with Roadhog not being able to 1-shot 250 HP heroes, but his hook getting gutted AND not being able to 1-shot 200 HP heroes consistently now?

C'mon, will no one be surprised if Roadhog 4.0 actually goes live like this?

I'll be shocked.
What surprises me is how massive the change is. Soldier, the most braindead generic character in the game, an auto-pick in almost every situation and a must-pick in many others, gets 1 damage less per bullet. Then Roadhog gets a 33% damage drop with a...firing rate increase? Why?

I said on the OW forums that if they want to change Roadhog so that he doesn't 1-shot everyone and is more of a disruptor tank, then he NEEDS something that actually rebukes damage for the team. I suggested that his shots all cause a firing rate or damage debuff on hit, so that you can L-Click into a group and "soak" damage in that way. I could take a trade-off like that where he now serves his role better but can't instagib people. But if you take away everything valuable about him...why pick him?

https://clips.twitch.tv/InnocentSecretiveCasetteKippa

Roadhog had a good run. If Ana is on-point with her nade game, he ain't killing a goddamn thing.

maxresdefault.jpg
bye bye piggy

Edit: also yeah the PTR change better not go live but the fact that it's even in PTR right now shows how messed up their priorities are

and it's not like tons of characters are getting massive "experimental" changes in the PTR every other week either. The fact is they took a hero they've been steadily tweaking for months now, landed him in a near-perfect spot and then out of nowhere they fuck with his entire utility/reason to pick him/ability to have fun with him/uniqueness when it was never even clamored for by the public.

Also it begs the question looking at this gif.... do they themselves play with their changes at all before they send them to the PTR or do they just come up with random numbers, think it sounds good and throw it to the public.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
He can't one shot people but does his increased fire rate make up for it? Like is the hooked player going to get away or kill him before the end second, now faster shot comes out?

Though I guess it's more time for a defense matrix or Zarya shield to appear and save them.

Rip.

Anyway ignoring Roadhog, the Reaper change seems pretty good. Fitting, at least.

0-2
how am i going to support this season.

first game was anusib. they basically stomped us. and then king's row. we did fine on defense. but then it was our turn to attack. they didn't push. literally stayed defending choke... what is this. bronze level gameplay? they don't want to group up and push.

MGrant

He can't one shot people but does his increased fire rate make up for it? Like is the hooked player going to get away or kill him before the end second, now faster shot comes out?

Though I guess it's more time for a defense matrix or Zarya shield to appear and save them.

Rip.

The amount of time the enemy gets to escape or be saved is an eternity in a game this fast. Ana nades, lucio/zen ults, Mercy calmly walking up and healing for two seconds, Pharah concussion rockets: anything can and will fuck up your picks now. And you will just be standing their hookless with your dick in your hand. Right-click > hook > melee, a hard combo to consistently land, is not worth it anymore, not combined with the indirect range nerf due to Hook 2.0 breaking if the enemy even thinks about a corner. Shield damage is mostly the same, but fighting Winstons will be more annoying due to the extra shot or two you will need to land to down them while they're leaping around. I'm so salty today.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The amount of time the enemy gets to escape or be saved is an eternity in a game this fast. Ana nades, lucio/zen ults, Mercy calmly walking up and healing for two seconds, Pharah concussion rockets: anything can and will fuck up your picks now. And you will just be standing their hookless with your dick in your hand. Right-click > hook > melee, a hard combo to consistently land, is not worth it anymore, not combined with the indirect range nerf due to Hook 2.0 breaking if the enemy even thinks about a corner. Shield damage is mostly the same, but fighting Winstons will be more annoying due to the extra shot or two you will need to land to down them while they're leaping around. I'm so salty today.

I'm interested in seeing how it plays out at least. He's obviously nerfed damage wise but with a faster follow-up shot or other teammates shooting the enemy, assuming you hooked with people around you, I'm curious how often the hooked person will end up surviving / escaping.

That first gif would have killed the Mercy if he Right clicked at the start. Not really going to know how dire the situation is until its live

Uh that kills any non-tank in the game, but you realistically can't right-click, hook, left-click, melee against small targets on a reliable basis. That's something reserved to mid-sized bodies and up.

Uh that kills any non-tank in the game, but you realistically can't right-click, hook, left-click, melee against small targets on a reliable basis. That's something reserved to mid-sized bodies and up.
RC before hook combo should always be used regardless, not reserved for certain heroes. In a lot of cases it will secure the kill. I was mainly just pointing out that that gif was a bad example. We need gifs of real situations, not standing still Mercy's and incomplete hook combos

Total Mayhem as Mei is ridiculous. I sat on the cart for 6 minutes as her, constantly ulting and iceblocking and still didn't win. I did will power it past the first point on Gibraltar with this tho lol

maomaoIYP

RC before hook combo should always be used regardless, not reserved for certain heroes. In a lot of cases it will secure the kill. I was mainly just pointing out that that gif was a bad example. We need gifs of real situations, not standing still Mercy's and incomplete hook combos

That's not feasible in a large majority of the time against squishies, especially those with a defensive or movement skill. E.g. M2 before hook on Tracer or Genji etc is usually impossible.

Slippery Mercys are the worst. So hard to kill when they're flying in-between tanks like Winston and Dva
What LiK said IS the real situation - there's no moment for a right click here before the hook, because the right-click and the hook lead differently. You take the hook when it's there.

They should just make Roadhog's hitbox his belly button, King Hippo-style.

Only if he gets the hurt animations.

It's crazy how I get fucked on placement every season. Already lost 3 of my first 4 matches pairing with randoms. They will put me down in Bronze again like Last season where I'm vastly better than other players and go 35 or 40 kills with 2 deaths per match and have to crawl back up.

So fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Showing a point blank hook -> shoot on someone like that is still relevant to showcase it not killing though.

In a real match you can do RC Hook but Mercy specifically is very slippery and flying around, it's unlikely you get a line up where the alt fire pellets hit her. But you could still hook her out of the air when you know she's coming for a fly in res, but this shot not killing means she can spam ult and get it out since she isn't locked into a kill. Which is...oof.

The issue I have with this is the leadup, they've retooled and balanced the hook around the idea that you get a one shot, now it no longer does but everything else that was put into making it worse still applies (LoS break, higher CD). Now the payoff isn't even there.

Roadhog has always been my favorite character and while he has always been strong, he always felt like the natural design kept him in check somewhat. He's massive, has no shield/armor, no way to mitigate damage in a way that isn't feeding the other team ult, had a terrible weapon and a not very good ult, that was all because he had the power of the hook. It needed to be strong since every aspect of his character was shit. The only thing he had when hook was on CD was shield breaking and lucky alt fires. I was totally on board the LoS changes since that stuff just looked buggy and had wildly inconsistent results, and the CD hit to keep it more online with other things is great. But to remove the power from the hook and try to partially rebalance it into his gun is very bad design, he's still a gimped character by design and now lost his main strength, which really does effectively remove him from the game.

Good games guys. 3-4 but all hard fought and felt winnable. I think the Gaf stacks will be much improved this season. I'll be on tomorrow afternoon (3ish mountain time) until the finals at 7. I'd like to finish placements with anyone else who needs to finish.

That's not feasible in a large majority of the time against squishies, especially those with a defensive or movement skill. E.g. M2 before hook on Tracer or Genji etc is usually impossible.

I'm not saying RC before combo always works / lands, but why wouldn't you? There's little downside, and the delay between RC and hook is negligible in most situations

What LiK said IS the real situation - there's no moment for a right click here before the hook, because the right-click and the hook lead differently. You take the hook when it's there.

Not denying that, but the gif you posted doesn't reflect that, which is why I was replying to it originally :)

LiK

Good games guys. 3-4 but all hard fought and felt winnable. I think the Gaf stacks will be much improved this season. I'll be on tomorrow afternoon (3ish mountain time) until the finals at 7. I'd like to finish placements with anyone else who needs to finish.

Wasn't too bad overall. No stomps against us. We lost to all close games so we improved a lot. This one team we lost to twice outplayed us. Their Mercy was MVP healing everyone before we could finish Them off which was why we couldn't kill a few of their guys. Def need to focus on the Mercys more as a group. We didn't have Komaru yell at us about it lol

First round on Gibraltar, I go pharah and do horribly. Gold damage but only 9 elims.

I go Lucio next 2 rounds and suddenly team steamrolls and I get 30 elims and still maintain high damage (down to silver) by the end.

Yeah, I need to work on my DPS chars...my support does better DPS than my DPS lol.

randome

Anyone wanna do some placements together? I got to about 2400 last season. I talk on the mic and can do whatever. I tried one solo and people just don't wanna coordinate at all. On PS4.

2-3.
2 win streak. it's happening, boys!

i can't main ana this season. i had to resort to zen last game. i discorded pharah most of the match. unsure if soldier can aim. but i had to take her out myself lmao. RIP.

LiK

Shooting Pharah down is so easy. I just can't have people shooting at me or a stupid Mercy to heal her. Pharahs are nothing to me as Soldier. Forced one team to switch out of Pharah in our Comp match.

Top Bottom