• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

hesido

guys I got a perfect 10

Placed in bronze at 1159SR, about the same as where I started last season I think.

This has to be joke. Placement and SR points cannot work like that. I'm assuming this is a joke. Right??!

If not, the system is fucked up. With more consequent wins, it should pit you against higher and higher skilled opponents, you should at least lose some before being placed lower than your opponents.

This has to be joke. Placement and SR points cannot work like that. I'm assuming this is a joke. Right??!

If not, the system is fucked up. With more consequent wins, it should pit you against higher and higher skilled opponents, you should at least lose some before being placed lower than your opponents.

Willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm hoping that match to match SR isn't as miserable as last season. But if it's the same "win 2 games to gain the SR of 1 loss" nonsense I'm out.

Prelude.

I felt the same way, I decided to jump back into the game during the same time (because of the anniversary event and loot boxes) since I was playing one of my low level accounts QP was a bit rough lol.

Lijiang -> Widow, Hanzo, Genji instalocked by lv 15-20s.

To be fair, I just had a match with 2 smurfs so a lot of people probably got a new account since it was on discount, but some of these are actually clueless. Like on that game on Lijiang, half the players were in front of our spawn, the other half in front of the enemy one.

hesido

Willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm hoping that match to match SR isn't as miserable as last season. But if it's the same "win 2 games to gain the SR of 1 loss" nonsense I'm out.

Well it does punish hard for consequent losses (lost 600 in a single day, 10 or something loss streak :) ) but it also does reward consequent wins, my win streak record was 13 and the last game gave me above 110 points, went from 2040 to 2800 in a single win streak.

I'm quite a yo-yo SR person due to this. Very inconsistent. (Or unwilling to stop playing during massive loss streaks..)

antitrop

If it's not your first season playing Competitive, placements don't matter. MMR doesn't reset at the beginning of each season, you'll get placed pretty damn close to where you ended the previous season. They're just warmup games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

For better or for worse placements don't really do anything, you'll be put in a similar range from the history of comp seasons.

If they wanted to do that (pit against higher or lower based of consequent wins/losses) they would need way more than 10 games for any accuracy.

It is kinda weird but I get why it happens. You can basically tell what you're placing at by just looking at your opponents previous SR ratings.

_Legacy_

So finished last season on 28** range and game decides I should be placed at 2469. What a load of bullshit, that's with me playing Soldier mostly and getting a ton of kills. What the actual fuck Blizzard, placed in gold, really? That's nearly a 400 SR drop.

So I'm one win away from Platinum and of course we lose because our team can't fucking push the payload to the first point on Gibraltar.

What a shitty day for Overwatch, I'm just completely demoralised now.

hesido

If it's not your first season playing Competitive, placements don't matter. MMR doesn't reset at the beginning of each season, you'll get placed pretty damn close to where you ended the previous season. They're just warmup games.

Well last season, it could be pure luck, (solo queuing like 95% of the time), I won one match quite easily in placement, devastating the opponent, and every other match, it was as if I was playing against all-pro players which razed our team. So I thought it was pitting me against high SR's to see if I could beat them and placed somewhat higher.

I did end up close to where I left off though, as you say, so indeed that could have been pure (un)luck to get devastated every other game.

For the record, won my first 4 placement matches so current placements is nothing like my previous, so indeed I'm probably playing against similar SR's.

Well it does punish hard for consequent losses (lost 600 in a single day, 10 or something loss streak :) ) but it also does reward consequent wins, my win streak record was 13 and the last game gave me above 110 points, went from 2040 to 2800 in a single win streak.

I'm quite a yo-yo SR person due to this. Very inconsistent. (Or unwilling to stop playing during massive loss streaks..)

Is that this season? I'm wondering if they made changes to how SR is calculated.

Prelude.

I was having the best Sombra game ever and this guy just kept playing Widow until the end on Ilios, never hitting the Pharmercy once. Every overtime he was just there on a roof, standing immobile missing everything. Feels bad, man.

Someone decided to throw on B attack Hanamura, we had two ticks and he decided to throw because we had.... A LUCIO!!!

I will never understand this game and the people that play it. We won still too.

Dalek

0-7

Are people just not pushing to get the objectives because of their skill ranking or something? I swear in every match everyone else is just roaming around.

Those games were beyond terrible but I can only blame myself for staying after the eichenwalde game. Lesson learned.

I finally did it.
DBQlxjNW0AAjhhl.jpg

DBQl2-tW0AAfssx.jpg

Congrats :)

doing pc placements and i actually get to play dps heroes...what is this

Happens once every 50 games. Enjoy it!

MKIL65

Solo queuing has never felt more awful than in Season 4 and 5.

I remember being able to at least get to diamond in the other seasons.

Worst kind of game. I was playing great, people were talking. Everyone seemed to be pretty good. EXCEPT one fucking Reaper who wasn't talking and was legit the worst Reaper I have ever seen in my life. It was such an easy win if he wasn't so bad.

Fugu

...*gets placed 200 points below the lowest I've been in months despite 6-4*

Woo

From what I know, if you have subpar stats but start to rise, things get weird. Things get weirder if you're in a group because that influences SR gains quite a bit. Again, I'm not saying you're bad. What I'm saying is if you're picking popular characters, switching often, and not padding stats, your MMR isn't going to go up while your SR does. MMR gets more stable with more games, SR just gets more inflated.

The best way to get out of this btw is to pick unpopular characters and boost stats on them. The most popular ones to do this on were Torb/Symm/Sombra because they can be good, easy to p[ad stats on, and you can get far above average on them.

The proof of this I've seen is people making new accounts and getting 4500SR using mostly Torb and all that. I've seen people duo queue boost using Symm quite a bit too. It's why I complain about the SR system being too easy. If you have the skill to get away with things like that, you can get crazy high. Start doing this shit while feeding that group queue Mercy main extra stats while you're at it. Queue at optimal times with large groups for good measure.
I played more games in season 4 than the other three seasons combined. I don't know how long it takes MMR to stabalize but this seems excessive.

I don't switch often; I would say in my average game I switch less than one time. Again, I'm not doing the things that usually cause people to be dissatisfied with their SR gains. I play as a DPS most games, I don't switch most games, I win most games, but my SR sinks lower and lower.

EDIT: Anyway, the main reason I started this discussion was less to bitch about my SR gains -- I've done that many, many times in this thread already -- and more to point out that, again, the SR system is pretty significantly flawed. Hell, the fact that it can be gamed in the way you indicate is evidence of that.

LiK

Man, 3 losses in a row after placement. I think we'll need to stick with our regular group since we have better synergy.

Just had an awful duo queue where the randoms were choosing Reaper and Bastion and were horrible with them.

Worst kind of game. I was playing great, people were talking. Everyone seemed to be pretty good. EXCEPT one fucking Reaper who wasn't talking and was legit the worst Reaper I have ever seen in my life. It was such an easy win if he wasn't so bad.

The Reaper player switched to Pharah for Defense and began bitching on mic about the Bastion. Lol, I wish he was Pharah for the Attack instead.

_Legacy_

Man I've never lost so many placement matches before. I'm nearly too tilted to even play Tekken 7, lol. Hope I get to plat tomorrow. Still can't believe I got placed in gold.

Man, 3 losses in a row after placement. I think we'll need to stick with our regular group since we have better synergy.

Just had an awful duo queue where the randoms were choosing Reaper and Bastion and were horrible with them.

Damn, where are you placed now?

LiK

Man I've never lost so many placement matches before. I'm nearly too tilted to even play Tekken 7, lol. Hope I get to plat tomorrow. Still can't believe I got placed in gold.

Damn, where are you placed now?

High 2600s now. This season might be the toughest for me to reach Diamond again if this keeps up. Duo queue used to feel good, now you have guys picking whatever and not switching after a bunch of deaths.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Do you still get bonus SR for games after your placement? Since the placement matches seemingly have a minimal impact on where you get placed, might as well save the tryharding for those bonus SR matches that happen after placements.

LiK

Do you still get bonus SR for games after your placement? Since the placement matches seemingly have a minimal impact on where you get placed, might as well save the tryharding for those bonus SR matches that happen after placements.

Yea, I'll save it with Gaffers. We need a minimum 4 stack like usual to make sure we don't get totally sabotaged by randoms.

Also, to any Gaffers who we don't play with often, if you join, make sure to let us know who you main so we can let you play your best. I feel like one of the last stacked games was a stomp cuz people were not playing their best heroes, tbh.

Jblanks

5-5 places 3311. Shouldn't be too bad getting master, hopefully in the next week or so then I can play some other games... Maybe.

_Legacy_

Yea, I'll save it with Gaffers. We need a minimum 4 stack like usual to make sure we don't get totally sabotaged by randoms.

Also, to any Gaffers who we don't play with often, if you join, make sure to let us know who you main so we can let you play your best. I feel like one of the last stacked games was a stomp cuz people were not playing their best heroes, tbh.

How long does it last though? I've already played three, since being placed. Is it 10 games you get the SR bonus?

Top Bottom