• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

I chain slept a winston that got greedy all by himself. Mainly because fuck having winston bubbles everywhere.

Yes, I'm a twat.

Edit: and a tracer too.

Did that to a D.Va and a Zarya in the same game, for the same reason.

EDIT:

Top page, 50 ppp EZ life.

I picked this up on PC. Still need to power through so I can get to be able to play comp. I need to get some people to add up. Discord?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
When it comes to blaming others for losses, I have some questions for those who talk about this specific topic a lot. If you are getting 4 out of 5 gold medals, are trying your hardest to direct and carry your team, and they are consistently missing shots even though they are doing the correct grouping methods and team comp, what can you possibly do to amend this situation without thinking that your team dropped the ball for you?

I didn't want to insult them but I almost said out loud 'for those who can't seem to hit their targets maybe you should play beam characters(Sym, Zarya, Winston, Mei) or also Reinhardt, Pharah and Reaper(his shotgun spread is generous) and we can work around that'. This is because I reached a point where I'd rather have a team that is doing any type of damage at all over a team that is trying to play Widow, Genji, Roadhog, Soldier, Tracer, McCree, or Hanzo and consistently missing shots. However, people are sensitive to advice sometimes and will interpret a tip as a criticism sometimes.

Anyone have any thoughts to provide on this? Also keep in mind I'm unable to queue with friends at some of the times I play.

finalflame

When it comes to blaming others for losses, I have some questions for those who talk about this specific topic a lot. If you are getting 4 out of 5 gold medals, are trying your hardest to direct and carry your team, and they are consistently missing shots even though they are doing the correct grouping methods and team comp, what can you possibly do to amend this situation without thinking that your team dropped the ball for you?

I didn't want to insult them but I almost said out loud 'for those who can't seem to hit their targets maybe you should play beam characters(Sym, Zarya, Winston, Mei) or also Reinhardt, Pharah and Reaper(his shotgun spread is generous) and we can work around that'. This is because I reached a point where I'd rather have a team that is doing any type of damage at all over a team that is trying to play Widow, Genji, Roadhog, Soldier, Tracer, McCree, or Hanzo and consistently missing shots. However, people are sensitive to advice sometimes and will interpret a tip as a criticism sometimes.

Anyone have any thoughts to provide on this? Also keep in mind I'm unable to queue with friends at some of the times I play.

The fact you grouped Sym and Winston in with Zarya and Mei indicates to me that you don't know a lot about the game. The game is about hitting your shots to an extent, but it's also about grouping, positional awareness, adjusting your strategy and composition to counter the enemy team. All you can do is talk through strategy with your team and see if you can change something to better your odds -- maybe someone got pigeonholed into a hero they never play or want to switch, etc.

And, in the end, some games you're not going to win. No matter what, you're outplayed. Focus your energy in those games towards being a positive and constructive part of the team as much as you can and take the loss if that's what's coming, recollect, and don't let it affect your next match (don't tilt).

That's my $0.02.

Gaf about to make me go solo queue again.

You can always play mystery heroes :D

After the games yesterday I don't feel like touching comp anytime soon, I can have my daily dose of ow with mh while the event is going on since there's always people playing it. It can also serve as practice to test new settings against real players instead of ai.

And I also don't tilt playing that mode.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The fact you grouped Sym and Winston in with Zarya and Mei indicates to me that you don't know a lot about the game. The game is about hitting your shots to an extent, but it's also about grouping, positional awareness, adjusting your strategy and composition to counter the enemy team. All you can do is talk through strategy with your team and see if you can change something to better your odds -- maybe someone got pigeonholed into a hero they never play or want to switch, etc.

And, in the end, some games you're not going to win. No matter what, you're outplayed. Focus your energy in those games towards being a positive and constructive part of the team as much as you can and take the loss if that's what's coming, recollect, and don't let it affect your next match (don't tilt).

That's my $0.02.

Sorry if I came off that way to you but I actually know more than I should with this game than others lol, I've been playing consistently since S1 and I've been Diamond for most seasons. I mainly grouped those specific characters together because they are easier to aim with using primary fire than the bullet types/sniper types that I listed in the next sentence. I would have to read your further thoughts on the matter if you think that aiming with Mei and Zarya's primary takes way more skill than sniping with Hanzo, McCree or Widow.

I can't argue with your second point though. Sometimes a loss is a loss.

finalflame

Sorry if I came off that way to you but I actually know more than I should with this game than others lol, I've been playing consistently since S1 and I've been Diamond for most seasons. I mainly grouped those specific characters together because they are easier to aim with using primary fire than the bullet types/sniper types that I listed in the next sentence. I would have to read your further thoughts on the matter if you think that aiming with Mei and Zarya's primary takes way more skill than sniping with Hanzo, McCree or Widow.

I can't argue with your second point though. Sometimes a loss is a loss.

I just meant that the skill curve on playing Zarya or Mei is much higher than Winston or Sym -- tracking with Zarya's beam, while not as hard as hitting shots with a DPS like McCree or Soldier, is still not trivial and Zaryas with good tracking shine whilst poor tracking Zaryas are just kind of ok (see: Harbleu's tracking with Zarya is fucking insane). Same with Mei and the ability to use her icicle alt-fire accurately.

But yah, there will be games where you are just absolutely outplayed and very little you can do will change it. Just have enough game sense to know if any changes are needed (is your D.Va constantly feeding their Zarya's ult? is your Winston just serving at Reaper meat? etc.) and asking if anyone is uncomfortable in the position they're playing is as good as you can do. At least that's how I see it.. and not tilting in those games -is- hard but, over time I've gotten better at it and try not to let it ruin my consecutive games.

Owzers

After the games yesterday I don't feel like touching comp anytime soon, I can have my daily dose of ow with mh while the event is going on since there's always people playing it. It can also serve as practice to test new settings against real players instead of ai.

Sad. Play comp when I play in a couple hours, we'll totally win some games.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Ask yourself if the best player in the world would have won the game in that spot, and then ask what more you could have done to be like that player. Of course you're going to have games where you're going to have to carry the team to win. That's part of the challenge you sign up for when playing any team based game in solo queue. Only question is if you did everything possible to carry that game.

If you have to get mad about it, get mad at the matchmaking, not the team. Every single player outside of Grandmaster has the possibility to be the weak link if matchmaking screws them over. If you never ever feel like you're the one to be the weak link, then I'd say your biggest problem is your blindness to your own faults.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I just meant that the skill curve on playing Zarya or Mei is much higher than Winston or Sym -- tracking with Zarya's beam, while not as hard as hitting shots with a DPS like McCree or Soldier, is still not trivial and Zaryas with good tracking shine whilst poor tracking Zaryas are just kind of ok (see: Harbleu's tracking with Zarya is fucking insane). Same with Mei and the ability to use her icicle alt-fire accurately.

But yah, there will be games where you are just absolutely outplayed and very little you can do will change it. Just have enough game sense to know if any changes are needed (is your D.Va constantly feeding their Zarya's ult? is your Winston just serving at Reaper meat? etc.) and asking if anyone is uncomfortable in the position they're playing is as good as you can do. At least that's how I see it.. and not tilting in those games -is- hard but, over time I've gotten better at it and try not to let it ruin my consecutive games.

I guess I'll put the ball in your court and ask this: If you were on a team where 4 out of 6 players are unable to shoot their targets(assuming at least 1 is a mercy healer and the 2nd, you, are carrying), what would you recommend them play to make up for the loss in aim, yet also satisfies a good team comp? Or would you tell them to stay as their classes because it is technically a good team comp(even though they are failing with it)? Does the importance of the comp itself outweigh the need for damage to be done to the other team? If so then why?

Won Hanamura

We eatin
Won Oasis. 2999

We ain't tiltin, we feastin.

Full hold Kings Row with a pro Widow on my team. Back in diamond. It's a banquet out here.

Overwatch |OT10| The world could always use more Chimpions
Overwatch |OT10| No, I do not want a banana
Overwatch |OT10| Flying to the Moon
Overwatch |OT10| In space, everyone can hear Torbjörn scream

And always an option is
Overwatch |OT10| Suck on my Lijiang Tower

This game is fucking awful if you play competitively with people you don't know. Why even put your self through something so fucking random? I'm not even gonna bother with placements this season. I've learned my lesson.

Let's roll that dice!

Nimby

Banned
Overwatch |OT10| The world could always use more Chimpions
Overwatch |OT10| No, I do not want a banana
Overwatch |OT10| Flying to the Moon
Overwatch |OT10| In space, everyone can hear Torbjörn scream

And always an option is
Overwatch |OT10| Suck on my Lijiang Tower

If Antitrop's making the thread, it's probably |OT10| WHO BOOSTED U TO GM

LiK

I'm too tired for Comp right now. Besides, it's a Friday so that's gonna suck with randoms. I might be on late and join Buttchin.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
WWZLKf4.png

I'm proud of this comp performance, I will never repeat it.

_Legacy_

So many attack hanzos on my team in comp today, wtf. Some very good, most were bad. Still managed to win the majority of my games with them anyway, weird.

Weirdest was attack on Volskaya, we had two tanks, 1 dps, a Mercy, Hanzo and Widow, and we won! Widow was really good but the Hanzo was hot trash, only thing he did was get a double kill with ult once. Pretty much had the same team on defence and we stopped them from capping B to win.

Worst was a Hanzo on Dorado, really garbage on defence, not saving ult to combine with Zarya and basically missing easy targets and made the match 5v6. On attack, i pick Hanzo so he can't select him and he has the nerve to send me a message "can I Hanzo?". I ignore it and he picks Genji, ok good. I wait until the last second and switch to Rein, he of course goes Hanzo and it's 5v6 again. Thing was, he plays mostly Genji and was sitting on 60% winrate after 2 hours. Why pick Hanzo? I just don't understand these people.

Anyway, GGs Yager. I climbed over 200 SR today, so today was a great day overall!

peakish

Made a return to competitive for the first time since season one. 3-7 placements, 2.3k score. Eh, can only work to improve from that.

5 boxes today with the majority being dupes and 0 legendary. Fuck you, Blizzard. Cash me outside, bitch.

When does this garbage event end?

IHaveIce

Banned
so played the new patch on PTR today, Reaper isn't as OP as I thought he would become, Roadhog feels less deadly instantly though.

Salarians

Just tried logging on on my PS4...

And I have 200 players in queue before me?

Wtf

same

had a 50 person queue that got to 30 before giving me an error

now it's 300 🤔

Edit:
https://twitter.com/blizzardcs/status/870784211015180288
We're currently investigating an issue affecting our authentication servers, which may result in failed or slow login attempts. #BlizzCS
This is also impacting US players. Being investigated. Thanks for your patience, folks!

Gorillaz

Watching Timthetatman's stream placements a few days ago and was laughing when that bailee chick from the 2 mercy main twitter arguement was in his first game after placements. He ended up with 3900 something.

Lost all 3 rounds in a row on Nepal with Lass throwing after 5 mins and picking junkrat beacuse the mei wouldn't switch leaving tim quiet playing Africa in the background by the end lol

Top Bottom