• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

i went to the asian server and wanted to goof around so i picked ana. it was attack on numbani. and there was the enemy genji. i slept him and accidentally BM'ed him by doing the "not impressed" emote. it was long enough where the emote was done and he woke up and my sleep dart was off CD and i slept him again shot and then melee'd. did it again later on in the push. i think he got mad because he changed to reaper and just hunted me down LOL

My placement matches went horribly. I kept being put in games with people just picking random shit or having no idea how to play and dumped me into Bronze. I seemed to be about 5 times better than everyone else on my teams for half the matches. Wtf? :(

LiK

Totally got into the rhythm of using Sombra now. She's very effective. I barely died in the later matches and was destroying some teams. Fun hero. Will play her more and maybe take her into Comp in the future.

GG Buttchin, thanks for enduring some horrible matches lol

exYle

Thanks shit Mercy random for just dancing through the whole match. Nice waste of time.

So I messaged that guy to ask him why the hell he would do something like that. Out of character for me, but I dunno, it's 3 AM and it's been a frustrating night.

To my pleasant surprise, he said he was just trying to have fun, and then apologized. Not what I was expecting at all

LiK

So I messaged that guy to ask him why the hell he would do something like that. Out of character for me, but I dunno, it's 3 AM and it's been a frustrating night.

To my pleasant surprise, he said he was just trying to have fun, and then apologized. Not what I was expecting at all

I wouldn't mind shit like that if it weren't for the fact that we were actually against a team that was trying to win and had some good players. Man, I hope these dance emotes don't start a new trend of trolling.

I'm surprised he responded and apologized. OW community is weird.

exYle

I wouldn't mind shit like that if it weren't for the fact that we were actually against a team that was trying to win and had some good players. Man, I hope these dance emotes don't start a new trend of trolling.

I'm surprised he responded and apologized. OW community is weird.

I think after the second time the enemy team immediately shuts you down and kills you while dancing is when you should clue in that you're not about to start a dance party

I've been meaning to ask this a long time ago but I forgot about it, this happened in one of my placements games last season:

Playing D.Va on volskaya point A defense, enemy team has Pharmercy / Winston / Widowmaker.

We are defending on point, Pharmercy is right above it, Winston is harassing the supports and widow is taking shots from the higher ground while being unconstested for the most part from what I could tell.

Who should be the highest priority target here for me?

I prioritized pharmercy using my dm as much as I could to help the soldier, shooting winston in between when he was right in my face. Used my boost to try to keep pressure on the mercy when she was within range.

I felt like I didn't achieve much and was only delaying the inevitable there.

Should've I "abandon" the team fight to chase the widow and spend like 20-30s killing her instead? Or focused on the winston as much as I could since he wasn't receiving that much healing?

Communication with the team wasn't possible since the three persons on chat besides me, while good players (they all reached top 500), didn't speak english at all (were speaking french between them). Putain.

I can't help you nuno unless I know what your comp was too. If you're solo D.Va against that life just sucks.

Can't remember all of them, only that we had a Rein, Soldier and Mercy.

I felt like I should've just committed to one target (widow or winston) and try to finish him off before losing my mech, hoping that in the meanwhile the pharah didn't kill the soldier/mercy. Taking more risks and go for it playing less passively with the DM.

I'd definitely be diving on the Winston, can't let him kill the supports. The Pharmercy isn't going to be defeated by a Dva in any timely manner.

I was hoping the soldier could take care of her in the meantime (which never happened).

Don't know who was being focused by widow but I can't remember if my team had the mobility to go deal with her besides me so I probably made a mistake there (but since it was volskaya it's not like she was so far away that she couldn't be damaged by normal fire).

It was just one team fight, a long one, that we lost. The game ended on a draw though, 2cp style.

Anne

Can't remember all of them, only that we had a Rein, Soldier and Mercy.

I felt like I should've just committed to one target (widow or winston) and try to finish him off before losing my mech, hoping that in the meanwhile the pharah didn't kill the soldier/mercy. Taking more risks and go for it playing less passively with the DM.

Against Winston you're kinda not going to really do all that much as D.Va, and if you have Rein + Soldier they should handle that tbh. Basically means you have to decide on Pharah or Widow, which is situational. You can directly deny damage to Pharmercy in a real fight with DM and look to make a turn on them once space is open for DPS. This is almost always the best thing to do with D.Va: pick the most threatening DPS that is pressuring your team and stop the damage. Pharah is the most valuable in a lot of cases since few characters outside of D.Va can get to her.

The Widowmaker just depends. Once fights start where she has LOS plus a dive happens, people kinda just have to deal unless Genji/Tracer are up. If you are close enough to deny Widow LOS for an extended period of time it's worth, but Pharah is usually more important. Hell, you could actually pull Pharah and widow aggro at the same time if you space things well enough.

I'd definitely be diving on the Winston, can't let him kill the supports. The Pharmercy isn't going to be defeated by a Dva in any timely manner.

Good luck DMing out Winston for your supports :T If you have Rein+Soldier your supports should be good between that alone. IMO focusing on protecting supports over just denying space/damage is a big common mistake tanks make. Supports can take care of themselves better than most people think.

LFM on PC!

Hello everyone I thought I might try posting this.

Me and 1 friend are looking for a Zarya (tank) and/or Mercy (support) main to Q with our comp in Competitive. We run Winston/Pharah/Roadhog and Hanzo/Soldier/Zenyatta respectively though like any good player can play basically any hero in the game. Added bonus if you can play other heroes both within and outside of your role so we can maintain flexibility.
We are and expect you to be willing to swap if the game requires and also so everyone can try different roles. Basically just the core tenets of being a good Overwatch player.
Don't be scared by Hanzo I'm more than decent I swear.

Looking for someone 2500+ who has a mic, is friendly, and is willing to consistently communicate and call things out in Competitive play. Knowing the difference between a dive comp, triple tank, 2/2/2, Pharmercy, etc is a big plus.

Both me and my friend finished last season around 25-2600 but it was our first season on PC and hit Master rank on console in the season prior. Looking to go for Diamond minimum this season.

Message me on the Blizzard app at Parenegade#1883 or respond here as I will be checking in periodically.

Against Winston you're kinda not going to really do all that much as D.Va, and if you have Rein + Soldier they should handle that tbh. Basically means you have to decide on Pharah or Widow, which is situational. You can directly deny damage to Pharmercy in a real fight with DM and look to make a turn on them once space is open for DPS. This is almost always the best thing to do with D.Va: pick the most threatening DPS that is pressuring your team and stop the damage. Pharah is the most valuable in a lot of cases since few characters outside of D.Va can get to her.

The Widowmaker just depends. Once fights start where she has LOS plus a dive happens, people kinda just have to deal unless Genji/Tracer are up. If you are close enough to deny Widow LOS for an extended period of time it's worth, but Pharah is usually more important. Hell, you could actually pull Pharah and widow aggro at the same time if you space things well enough.

Good luck DMing out Winston for your supports :T If you have Rein+Soldier your supports should be good between that alone. IMO focusing on protecting supports over just denying space/damage is a big common mistake tanks make. Supports can take care of themselves better than most people think.

I always felt that winston goes down pretty quickly with the d.va firing in his face, or at least make him jump out stopping the distraction. Problem was the pharmercy was right there above point so I end up focusing on her, and from what I could tell the soldier didn't retreat to the big health pack room where he could have cover to deal with what was on point at the time, we were all fighting on it. He could've also see the widow from there since she was on top of the building right in front, but I can understand that he also wanted to get that pharah dead as soon as possible.

Anytime I ever disagree with you I end up the fool. But ah well. Winston has no chance to kill Dva especially one surrounded by two supports. I'm not sure exactly what you were saying but Dva vs Winston 1v1 goes to Dva every time it's not even close.

We don't know what the supports were. If it's Zen maybe he can win but probably less than 50/50 shot but Zen + Dva will obviously destroy Winston very quick. Lucio Mercy probably wouldn't die but would take for fucking ever to kill him and get back in the fight. Sure they can handle themselves (maybe, not everyone is in GM) but they won't be doing anything else in that time.

I mean sure if I saw a Rein and Soldier on the Winston I wouldn't worry about it. But we were presented with 3 scenarios. There wasn't any additional information. Eating Pharmercy or Widow shots seems much less impactful to me than getting a guaranteed quick kill that also gets your supports back into the fight.

Anne

Lemme put it like this. As D.Va, your damage is okay but it's really just for pressure. If you ever, ever, ever pick D.Va, your job is to DM bot and hold space. Against Winston, DM literally does nothing to his damage, and he just equals you out on space since you have similar mobility. When you add in his shield, it gets even harder to compete with him for space. The only thing you have on him is damage for pressure and the ability to boop him a bit around shield. That's good, but kinda whatever in the grand scheme of things.

So like, you can be a deterrent to Winston but that's about it, which is meh. Alternatively, you can use DM to deny Pharah an entire clip worth of damage, which is actually a pretty obscene amount of time for her to be peeking and just takes hundreds of points of damage off the board. You can also sit up in the sky with her and Mercy and deal quite a bit of damage. So if Pharmercy is a thing and you go up to DM it, you're denying 2 characters worth of damage and also keeping Pharah moving out of air space she wants to be in.

It's pretty easy to decide which you wanna do in most scenarios. The only real reason you'd ever go kill Winston if he's in a really horrid spot or people are totally alone and have no other option. In either of those cases, it's still probably better for you to be out DMing a DPS somewhere.

If a support + any other character can't handle a Winston in their face while DPS can't get through D.Va, something is wrong on a mechanical level. Winston doesn't just get to kill things without outside DPS, which you should be off DMing. Mercy + Lucio will win a 1v2 vs Winston if no extra damage is coming in even.

The scenarios presented are black and white and obviously it's not a black and white game. The ideal scenario is that the team kills Winston and saves the supports while I DM and prevent Widow and Pharah from getting any damage into the fight zone.

I'm just saying, assuming we know nothing else, if my support (in my head it's Pinku Zen) says

"yo Winston just dived on me I need help"
my response won't be
"you got this, I'm eating Pharah rockets, good luck!"

Maybe that makes me a worse Dva so don't listen to me folks. But i don't think I'll ever change either. If I can save a support who needs help then I'm going to do it.

peakish

Looking at the Misfits performance at TakeOver 2 is a bit depressing. Their highs are really good, like Manneten on Zarya, but their engagements are so bad sometimes. Like investing several ults on an offensive defense only to get a single pick and then get wiped, or getting several picks trying to capture a point but then not having anyone pressure the actual point so no progress is made. It's like their shot calling is really off. I'm sad because I like their players but they seem to be far from a top tier EU team right now.

Pretty interesting seeing the potential for these characters. Had a few matches where a good sombra just shut us down. Really sucks not having any of your abilities or just having a lucio ult being completely nullified. Also I know people are complaining that Orisa's abilities are copies of other abilities in the game, but had a teammie have potg with the orb thing dragging 3 guys off the ledge lol...

antitrop

I tried Paladins last night. It was decent, the biggest difference with Overwatch seems to be how much more self-sustaining everyone is in that game. HP counts are high and health regenerates after being out of combat for a few seconds, so you're much less reliant on Supports.

Pooya

speaking of paladins, I really like Cassie in the game. She's like McCree but fun to play. If McCree could dive as often and as far as she can, he would be a much more fun character to play. As is, he's utterly useless when playing solo without any protection while every other dps can hold their own. Maybe reduce his damage a bit give him more mobility. McCree's roll is so bad, it doesn't really help you escape, it doesn't allow you to pursue and finish a target, it's just fast reload pretty much and only that.

I feel the need to re-post this.

zm3NJ5.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZJmbOS5Wk8&t=4s

No one finds this weird? Lol. Is it a known bug?

I've been meaning to ask this a long time ago but I forgot about it, this happened in one of my placements games last season:

Playing D.Va on volskaya point A defense, enemy team has Pharmercy / Winston / Widowmaker.

We are defending on point, Pharmercy is right above it, Winston is harassing the supports and widow is taking shots from the higher ground while being unconstested for the most part from what I could tell.

Who should be the highest priority target here for me?

I prioritized pharmercy using my dm as much as I could to help the soldier, shooting winston in between when he was right in my face. Used my boost to try to keep pressure on the mercy when she was within range.

I felt like I didn't achieve much and was only delaying the inevitable there.

Should've I "abandon" the team fight to chase the widow and spend like 20-30s killing her instead? Or focused on the winston as much as I could since he wasn't receiving that much healing?

Communication with the team wasn't possible since the three persons on chat besides me, while good players (they all reached top 500), didn't speak english at all (were speaking french between them). Putain.

When I was a D.Va main, I would have wiped out the monkey, scattered the Pharmercy, and then dove the Widow, hoping to get her to run, before returning to focus the Mercy or DM the Pharah if my Soldier is taking shots at her.

Dunno if that's at all right, just how I would have done it. Protect healers, disrupt, focus.

Damn I love when this game pairs you up with a group that has a Silver rank when youre a Plat. So awesome.

During last seasons placements my friends I quick play with decided to sneak one competitive game in on a whim without telling me, so it looked at my previous record and was like "yep, against the Diamonds and Masters you go!"
Said friends of mine were basically a mix of silver and golds, I felt so sorry for my other teammates here, I did not ask for this match!

Had the 2 best comp games in my short career early. We worked together so well. We stayed together for a 2nd game and did just as well. Were all random in the first game. Wish the game was always that good.

Get into a comp match, select hero, get disconnected, reconnect, gets kicked and locked out of comp. FUCK OFF. How is this still an issue?

From Blizz's side I don't think they can tell the difference between an honest DC and someone ragequitting etc. Sucks balls.

Also does anyone have that visual someone made a couple of months ago about the meta/which hero was most picked per season?

Mr Git

Just won 3 placement matches in a row - ended up with some good teams, each one was a bit of a creaming - deny movement of their payload whilst we cheesed it through.

From Blizz's side I don't think they can tell the difference between an honest DC and someone ragequitting etc. Sucks balls.

Also does anyone have that visual someone made a couple of months ago about the meta/which hero was most picked per season?
In just upset I got back in the game and then it decides to ban me.

Nimby

Banned
Contenders games have started and Seagull is streaming them. Their first team is a plat team and they're not taking it seriously.

Top Bottom