• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

This has got to be the most persistent complaint related to balance in this thread and it's so off-base every time.

If Mercy is hiding for res, great! It's 6v5. Don't burn too many ults when you kill the enemy team because you're probably going to need to kill some of them again.
If Mercy isn't hiding for res, great! Kill Mercy then work on the rest of the team.

She's invincible because res was terrible when she wasn't. It's a great change that pulled her out of the nether of beyond useless in KotH and increased her general usefulness across the board.

That res invincibility is huge.

One time our whole team got hit with a graviton, our Symmetra just died a bit before. I ressed her, and flew to her as the invincibility allowed me to null the gravity effects and the incoming pharah barrage. While the sym was being attacked, I healed her and she plopped the teleporter and the whole team just came out for the win.

I've seen pro players time the res so that they get the invincibility right at the explosion of a dva bomb.

Fugu

That's cool and all except the parts on point B/near the end of payload maps where she can fly out of spawn and hit 5 man rezzes with no issue and since she gets her ult so fast she can do it constantly on the final defense.

Rez was not the buff Mercy needed
There are only a couple of maps where Mercy can do this without really exposing herself and there are far more maps where other ults have the potential to similarly prolong the game with little opportunity for recourse.

Having said that, stall comps are definitely a problem. Ironically, though, Mercy isn't really a great enabler of the stall comp since she's so easy to kill. Honestly, if she hits two fat rezes next to spawn on the same push and those rezes actually made a difference that means your team has categorically failed to deal with the Mercy and it's your (plural) fault.

Having said THAT, it's supposed to be hard to take the last point or push the payload to the end, and you've picked an edge case here (albeit one that doesn't really exhibit the potential of res to be a strong ult). You could similarly argue that Blizzard, Death Blossom or even Molten Core require nerfs because all three of those are extremely potent in that situation. Also, five man resses happen like once in a thousand games.

Mercy is really just not that strong of a character. She has loooots of ways to be dealt with, particularly when she's not played well.

Umm, is it possible that I disconnected during a ranked placement match, rejoined and won, yet it was counted as a loss? Because looking at my placement bar that's what's showing.

Fugu

Umm, is it possible that I disconnected during a ranked placement match, rejoined and won, yet it was counted as a loss? Because looking at my placement bar that's what's showing.
If I recall correctly, any placement game you leave counts as a loss regardless of what the actual result is.

There were a lot of complaints about this in season 1.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There are only a couple of maps where Mercy can do this without really exposing herself and there are far more maps where other ults have the potential to similarly prolong the game with little opportunity for recourse.

Having said that, stall comps are definitely a problem. Ironically, though, Mercy isn't really a great enabler of the stall comp since she's so easy to kill. Honestly, if she hits two fat rezes next to spawn on the same push and those rezes actually made a difference that means your team has categorically failed to deal with the Mercy and it's your (plural) fault.

Having said THAT, it's supposed to be hard to take the last point or push the payload to the end, and you've picked an edge case here (albeit one that doesn't really exhibit the potential of res to be a strong ult). You could similarly argue that Blizzard, Death Blossom or even Molten Core require nerfs because all three of those are extremely potent in that situation. Also, five man resses happen like once in a thousand games.

Mercy is really just not that strong of a character. She has loooots of ways to be dealt with, particularly when she's not played well.

I'm not saying Mercy is necessarily strong. I'd like to see her buffed, honestly. (just as long as its not damage boost or ressurect). Ressurect is, to me, the least fun ability in the game to play against and a buff to it just fills Mercy more into the less versatile role of 'rez bot'.

Snipers are ruining quick play. 90% of games end up being a 4v4 since both teams have Hanzo/Widow pretending to do DPS.

On a related noted, Scatter Arrow is the cheapest feeling move in the game.

Anne

That's cool and all except the parts on point B/near the end of payload maps where she can fly out of spawn and hit 5 man rezzes with no issue and since she gets her ult so fast she can do it constantly on the final defense.

Rez was not the buff Mercy needed

That shit is actually pretty ass though.

Fugu

I'm not saying Mercy is necessarily strong. I'd like to see her buffed, honestly. (just as long as its not damage boost or ressurect). Ressurect is, to me, the least fun ability in the game to play against and a buff to it just fills Mercy more into the less versatile role of 'rez bot'.
If you don't buff damage boost or res, what does she become? A flying Ana? Tanks everywhere (again)? No thanks.

I think res is really hype in both directions. A good res forces both teams to get their shit together in the span of a very short time and the prospect of hitting a good res creates virtually all of the tension and excitement of playing as (or, for that matter, with) Mercy.

I stopped playing Mercy a lot somewhere in Season 3 but because I have a lot of time on Pharah I often have one on my team. It's a unique challenge playing with her the way she is now because if she dies prematurely it's very scary and if she's still alive there's always the notion that the opposing team has to tread very carefully or they'll just get ressed on. The whole dynamic, however, is predicated on res being a useful and oft-available ability.

I have a theory that Mercy haters are more common on console because she lives a lot longer there.

Anne

IMO Rez is a fucked up ability because at low-mid level play it just destroys people, but at high level play it's held in pretty poor regard right now. It's just a noob trap and a pub stomper all in one ability.

Fugu

IMO Rez is a fucked up ability because at low-mid level play it just destroys people, but at high level play it's held in pretty poor regard right now. It's just a noob trap and a pub stomper all in one ability.
I think this is a decent criticism of D.Va ult but I can't imagine many plat (for example) Mercies having the decision-making and spacing to really utilize res at a level even approaching optimal.

I've got two buddies in silver. There's a Mercy in every game but nary a decent res to be found.

If I recall correctly, any placement game you leave counts as a loss regardless of what the actual result is.

There were a lot of complaints about this in season 1.

Oh man. It's these things sometimes Overwatch Team...

On the other hand, I won the last two pretty easily and even better it was without mics. So nice. Most of my experience playing with teams with mics everyone just bitches at each other and plays terribly.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Hey, anyone else that play on PC is having a pretty big problem with spikes and generally high ping?

I took a break on January and came back now, but the current state is almost unplayable for me.

The best part of rez is that Mercy is invincible during it, so she can live longer.

Though I think the ability itself is pretty good at GM/Master level, where there's still not as much coordination as pro play. So big rezzes still kinda own.

When you have a harassing Genji that goes to the backline every time

And dies in 1v1 to the Mercy virtually every time.
And dies to the Mercy during every dragonblade.

Please...switch off, you're not helping.

Well in my case, don't since I'm the Mercy and I'll keep killing you lol.

Anne

Though I think the ability itself is pretty good at GM/Master level, where there's still not as much coordination as pro play. So big rezzes still kinda own.

From my own experience, any rez bigger than 3 is usually an autowipe for whoever got rezzed :T

2 man rez is optimal with 3 man coming in clutch every now and then. Any more than that and you just get set up on for free every time.

Fugu

From my own experience, any rez bigger than 3 is usually an autowipe for whoever got rezzed :T

2 man rez is optimal with 3 man coming in clutch every now and then. Any more than that and you just get set up on for free every time.
I don't think many players realize how bad it is to res your team after they've been, say, wiped by a grav.

I don't know. Maybe people just haven't seen how easy it is to make that backfire on the ressing team.

Anne

I don't know. Maybe people just haven't seen how easy it is to make that backfire on the ressing team.

It's def this. I don't think Eco/CD management or positioning to blow up rez are the types of skills that exist below 3500 consistently, and even up to 4k+ people fuck it up constantly. I think the general route of progression to get higher ranked doesn't teach you that kind of stuff very well right now anyways.

I don't think many players realize how bad it is to res your team after they've been, say, wiped by a grav.

Well, my experience is anecdotal from watching Eevee/Blinky streams, and their big rezzes though rare are usually game saving. *shrugs*

Of course I do agree 2/3 man is a lot better overall.

Anne

Well, my experience is anecdotal from watching Eevee/Blinky streams, and their big rezzes though rare are usually game saving. *shrugs*

Ish. A big game changing rez is rare because the chance to do so has to be set up well ahead of time and requires mistakes to be made by the enemy team. There's a mind game there, but it's kind of overlooked. The reason a 4k+ big rez works is because you have teams that have to over rely on poor eco decisions to make pushes happen. It's unfortunate, but it happens.

At the same time, if I'm being honest, picking Mercy at high elo and just banking on teams to fuck up is how you maintain elo with her. The character can't really do that much herself besides shoot for the optimal decision. If people put a stupid rez in your lap you just hit Q and take the free W :T If teams don't fuck up you just become borderline useless. Hence why people don't really like having Mercy on their team. You're at the mercy :)v) of the enemy team making enough mistakes for it to work.

Alucrid

Banned
keep tracking of enemy ults is a pain, but so is keeping track of your teams despite it being a button press away on tab. i wonder if they'll ever implement a ui change that shows you the percentage of teammate's ults.

WhyMe6

Do any PS4 gaffers that are around gold/platinum play?

I can't play much because of my baby but if we're both on I'm happy to play. My PSN ID is GodotX. I just got placed at the bottom of gold -_- but previous seasons I've been high gold/platinum. All the other gaffers I had on my friend's list are high plat low diamond (or more) so it'd be good to have someone with a similar rank so I can feel more comfortable playing with them, hahahahaha.

Anne

In other news, I reviewed a VOD for a player int he GAF Discord looking to pick up Tracer. To give you an idea of what that looks like, you can give it a watch and maybe grab some Tracer stuff for yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyt1fuH4QTI

For people that play on PC and want one done, I can do that too. I'm not some lord god or anything, I'm just a 4.1k+ consistent DPS/Flex player that wants to help out and share some personal perspectives on what to be doing. Discord or PMs and junk if interested. Specialize in:

Tracer/Genji/McCreeSoldier/Mei/Sombra
D.Va/Zarya/Winston
maybe Ana but not really

I can do stuff for other chars, but don't expect super greatness. I also won't do any console stuff just because that game is a lot different so Idk what to expect or say about it.

Ramirez

I'd be fine with res if you had virtually any chance to stop it...give it a short cast time or something. Otherwise you're just looking for the hiding Mercy during chaotic team fights.

Just not a fun mechanic, imo.

I'm glad I'm not a loser. This game reminds me every day how sad some people's lives are when a Hanzo complains about being killed by Pharah, I say literally "No one can know that unless you make callouts", and then he proceeds to whine and complain and ultimately throw. Like, I'm on an alt. I don't give a shit. Grow up.

I'm glad I'm not a loser. This game reminds me every day how sad some people's lives are when a Hanzo complains about being killed by Pharah, I say literally "No one can know that unless you make callouts", and then he proceeds to whine and complain and ultimately throw. Like, I'm on an alt. I don't give a shit. Grow up.

Why is it my job to tell you that?

Why is it my job to tell you that?

Because not everyone is going to intently watch the back of one single teammate, especially if it's someone who tends to split away from the main group like Hanzo. If you don't tell your team you have someone on your ass, nobody will know.

Doberu

I've bought 0 loot boxes. And what I have to show for it is.
Genji dance, Hanzo Dance, Dva Dance,Zenyatta Dance and Bastion Dance.
Got the Bastion skin twice. And the Lucio Legendary. Bought Genji Skin with credits. I can't remember what level I was when I started but I'm almost level 200.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I like how Steevo's smurf account win streak of 51 ended in a game where he begs a Hanzo to switch while the Hanzo argues that his DPS is the only thing keeping the game alive.

I like how Steevo's smurf account win streak of 51 ended in a game where he begs a Hanzo to switch while the Hanzo argues that his DPS is the only thing keeping the game alive.

It blows my mind when someone doesn't even have silver elims and damage and they argue their DPS is saving everyone because they "keep killing X".

Veelk

Banned
Ah, Overwatch.

Never a game so hopeless that you can't win.

Never a game so easy that uncommunicative teammates can't lose.

The problem with the mercy Rez being invincible is she doesn't have to LoS it anymore. Seems like they should've taken away her invincibility if she's rezing through walls anyways.

Just played a Mystery Heroes game where there was a Bastion and two Mercies who just amped and healed him at all times and nobody could get close enough to the point to kill any of them, and when they did the Mercies just rezzed each other or the Bastion.

Why does ND like this mode again?

Just played a Mystery Heroes game where there was a Bastion and two Mercies who just amped and healed him at all times and nobody could get close enough to the point to kill any of them, and when they did the Mercies just rezzed each other or the Bastion.

Why does ND like this mode again?
Brainwashed is the leading theory.

Me Pinku and Owzers just spent over an hour to get 3 3v3 wins. But it's kind of fun. I dont mind it.

Top Bottom