• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacquiao vs. Bradley |OT| Hope OR Hype? June 9th 9:00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't name a single MMA fighter. Not an insult, I just don't know any of them. I can name a ton of boxers. I think most Americans are in my boat.

lol, most Americans can definitely not name "a ton" of boxers, at least boxers that aren't dead/retired. The sport is dead outside of Pac Man and Mayweather.

Big money fights should be moved out of Vegas and into NYC from now on.

As a person who was born and raised in Vegas, I can tell you there is a reason why there is no professional football or baseball team in the city.

Sometimes you just don't ask questions.

Centurion

Banned
I can't name a single MMA fighter. Not an insult, I just don't know any of them. I can name a ton of boxers. I think most Americans are in my boat.

That just means you don't watch mma. Not all of America.

Boxing has bigger stars (two of them LULULUL), but UFC has more stars believe it or not.

TheNatural

My Member!
Hey look you guys need to respect the licensed judges decision

Tim "Incredible Head" Bradley is now the number one p4p in the World

LOL seriously it's like a WWE screwjob.

Commentators pointing out how "inexperienced" the judges are.

Arum running into Bradley's arms after the decision celebrating.

Manny with an "aw shucks" smile on his face.

Bradley starting off with "NOVEMBER 10TH REMATCH GUYS!!!!"

LOLOL. All so perfect. Vince McMahon should be proud.

The guy who runs the book at the Las Vegas Hilton isn't happy at all:

6M053.png

0Lkty.png

R8ZtZ.png

When the Big Las Vegas sports books have enough, they'll try to clean it up in Nevada. Until then, LOL.

Doesn't really matter if there's "A" MMA fighter.

Even casual fans know that pretty much every PPV is going to be a damn good show, very competitive.

Boxing has been around a century. Give MMA some time and the "household names" will come.

I overheard a guy working a lobster roll food truck put $500 on Bradley and I was talking with him about it tonight. He said he just had a "hunch". THIS LOBSTER GUY IS IN THE KNOW. THAT'S HOW HE CAN AFFORD ALL THAT LOBSTER.

Blader

lol, this was quick

From Arum's wiki:

Arum fixed the Pacquiao Vs. Bradley fight on June 9, 2012. There was an investigation on his company, Top Rank Boxing promotions. Arum said there would be a rematch, though he criticized the judging. Arum has contracts with both fighters.I'm going to make a lot of money on the rematch, but this was outrageous, Arum said.

Tin Foil Hate Theory time: Maybe Arum and Manny saw the public perception of Manny changing, him looking less favorable with the public, and decided a way to build his Fan Favorite persona back up would be to "rob" him of a decision, making people want to tune in to the rematch to see him get his revenge. Think about it, had Manny been given the unanimous, lopsided decision we all expected, the well was pretty dry with guys for him to fight. This buys Arum maybe one more huge payday fight for Manny. Gotta keep that Golden Goose fertile. If this was the case though, it kind of backfired because the public backlash isn't in defense of Manny or people feeling bad for him, it's against the sport itself and Arum, who is linked to Manny, is going to take most of the heat.

TheNatural

My Member!
MMA has

GSP
Silva
Jon Jones
Silva

and they can't sniff May/PAC

You say that like you should be proud. Two guys get 99% of the money, one guy in jail for beating his girl, the other a promoter who pays commission and now fixes fights to make money to try to build a "new" star.

THE SPORT IS SAVEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. LOL.

Cipherr

Doesn't really matter if there's "A" MMA fighter.

Even casual fans know that pretty much every PPV is going to be a damn good show, very competitive.

Boxing has been around a century. Give MMA some time and the "household names" will come.

Yeah the whole "Big names" thing is besides the damn point.

Boxing looks to be in a state of ruin and all you got is "Yeah but more people know the names of the boxers man!"

C'mon son.

iqubal

Banned
Must admit I know nothing about boxing, but I don't know what fight y'all were watching. Bradley clearly won. He smartly used his head to damage pacman's fists for nearly 12 rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if Manny suffered a few fractures and retired from the sport.

I gotta see this fight for myself. There have been quite a few fights the past few years that have had extremely questionable results and it always seemed like there was shady shit going on behind the scenes ( and not just when it came to judging either it seemed ). But it sounds like this fight has taken things to a whole new level of obviousness lol.

thefro

On "CompuBox"
Bob Canobbio- The way it works is there are two operators. They share a laptop computer. They pick one fighter each. There are four keys for each operator. Jab connect, Jab miss, Power connect, Power miss. We call a non jab a power punch for lack of a better description. I know some people who really don’t really understand the program have said in the past, “How can a guy land 300 power punches and not knock the guy out?” Well we call it power punch because it sounds better than non jab.

I think people are just fooled by the name into think that this is actually an unbiased scoring metric. I mean, are they in the production truck? Actually in the arena? The fact that they're sharing a laptop and have to hit keys is definitely a flaw. How can they do that and watch a fight at the same time?

Baby Milo

You say that like you should be proud. Two guys get 99% of the money, one guy in jail for beating his girl, the other a promoter who pays commission and now fixes fights to make money to try to build a "new" star.

THE SPORT IS SAVEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. LOL.

Jon Jones is a rampaging drunk driving cheating maniac. he endangers everyone when on the road.

: )

Cipherr

I gotta see this fight for myself. There have been quite a few fights the past few years that have had extremely questionable results and it always seemed like there was shady shit going on behind the scenes ( and not just when it came to judging either it seemed ). But it seems like this fight has took things to a whole new level of obviousness lol.

Definitely watch it. There may have been some shady stuff in the past that I missed, but I have not ever seen it so out in the open like this. This guy got dominated..... dominated and won the fight.

MMA has

GSP
Silva
Jon Jones
Silva

and they can't sniff May/PAC

You are right. UFC will never have a singular guy who will be built up as big as Manny, Oscar or Floyd are/were. Because they are run by a single organization, not a bunch of different promotions, and because of that you also won't get two guys in the same weight class, who are far and away better than everyone else, ducking each other for the better part of 5 years like Manny and Floyd have.

TheNatural

My Member!
Jon Jones is a rampaging drunk driving cheating maniac

: )

He's not whoring all the money though and MMA doesn't have a promoter fixing fights.

Dunno how anyone could defend boxing tonight that it's not fixed and controlled by Arum - just like Don King controlled it for many years before.

Cudder

can someone link me to what happened in the fight, my twitter is blowing up with it but i cant put the pieces together.

BobLoblaw

Banned
lol

King of kings, meet heel of heels.

image.php
I want to punch your avatar.
can someone link me to what happened in the fight, my twitter is blowing up with it but i cant put the pieces together.
There's nothing to link. Pacman dominated 8-9 rounds and landed a good % of his hits. Most independent judges scored it completely in Pacman's favor. I watched the whole fight and never even thought for a second that it was even close.

Esch

Banned
BOB ARUM: ""I'm going to make a lot of money on the rematch, but this was outrageous," ESPN

no shame whatsoever

4248081103_56289e2b30.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom