• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacquiao vs. Bradley |OT| Hope OR Hype? June 9th 9:00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Yo... My boys and I left the bar after the bell rang because we wanted to beat the traffic out of the bar, needless to say I am Shocked as hell reading this

can someone link me to what happened in the fight, my twitter is blowing up with it but i cant put the pieces together.

Pacquiao dominated the fight, winning the first 11 rounds on most scorecards, including mine.

Somehow though, the other guy won a split decision (meaning two of the three judges thought he won the fight.)

Heel

BOB ARUM: ""I'm going to make a lot of money on the rematch, but this was outrageous," ESPN

ibdsXM6AxhjR53.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
"I'm going to make a lot of money on the rematch, but this was outrageous," Arum said.

"I'm going to make a lot of money on the rematch, but this was outrageous," Arum said.

http://www.denverpost.com/lacrosse/...ores-decision-win-over-pacquiao#ixzz1xMo5hQP9

Jon Jones lol. He is what came to your mind when thinking of famous MMA fighters, really?

Yes, the guy who has done multiple nationwide tv commercials for mainstream brands is probably one of the more famous fighters.

There isn't any question that he's one of the most famous unless we are going to talk about retired guys at which point the whole conversation is stupid because no mma guys would crack the top 20 of famous retired/dead boxers.

Probably among people unfamiliar with UFC/Pride/Dream and also since he's currently the champ. But he's far from being on a superstar status along the lines of Shamrock, Penn, Sakuraba, Rampage, Gracies and others.

WHAT? You're taking about being famous right? Most people think the sport is called UFC and have no fucking clue what Pride and Dream even are

tm24

Just letting you guys know, ive already spotted 5 crazy drunks on the streets of Cathedral City. Pretty sure i heard gunshots too. Thought it would be worse

You're out of your mind.

Eh, I'm not trying to attack the fans. I'm just saying, if you watch ESPN every day, you will likely know at least 2 boxers, probably 3. They are household names. I can't say the same for MMA, yet. Don't be mad at me, be mad at the national sports media for largely ignoring MMA.

That guy is full of shit saying UFC has no famous fighters that the averge person would know btw...even my friends that don't watch MMA know who Bas Rutten, Chuck Liddell, GSP, Ken Shamrock, Brock Lesnar, etc are.

Dr.Acula

Banned
WHAT? You're taking about being famous right? Most people think the sport is called UFC and have no fucking clue what Pride and Dream even are

Well I tell ya. I'm a casual fan of both sports... and WBC, IBF, WBA, WBO, I have no idea who has what belts or what these different leagues are.

Probably among people unfamiliar with UFC/Pride/Dream and also since he's currently the champ. But he's far from being on a superstar status along the lines of Shamrock, Penn, Sakuraba, Rampage, Gracies and others.

Most people outside of Japan aren't familiar with PRIDE. And I say that as a big PRIDE fan.

Jon Jones is one of the biggest fighters around today. He's a LOT more known than guys like Penn and Saku. He's got a shoe deal and commercials on NFL halftime shows. Rampage and Ken the Sham are well-known in no small part for work outside real fighting in the mainstream. The Gracie name is well-known, but I'd venture to say most fight fans today couldn't pick Renzo, Royce, Rickson, or Roger out of a lineup if asked.

mozfan12

Banned
JMM is a commentator for ESPN Deportes, should be interesting to hear his opinion. His show Golpe a Golpe is coming out right now at 11 pm if your a spanish speaker.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Eh, I'm not trying to attack the fans. I'm just saying, if you watch ESPN every day, you will likely know at least 2 boxers, probably 3. They are household names. I can't say the same for MMA, yet. Don't be mad at me, be mad at the national sports media for largely ignoring MMA.

Mayweather & Pac are the only known boxers. You're out of your mind if you think the average person knows more than them.

Rematch will probably be a good fight, but it's going to be incredibly hard to watch. Was there really no one else left for Pacquaio to fight at Top Rank?

TheNatural

My Member!
Even the most random people weighing in lol.

Katy Perry ‏@katvperry
#RIPBoxing #MannyPacquiaoIsStillTheWorldsBestBoxer The whole world is disappointed just look at the TT. But we all know who really won!

lucius

So will this be replayed on HBO?

Some of the Twitter comments shown on ESPN by famous athletes are kind of suprising how shocked and upset at it they seem. Whenever I have seen a bad descision I just shrug and think well that's boxing, but will have to see a replay to see why such reactions.

Rematch will probably be a good fight, but it's going to be incredibly hard to watch. Was there really no one else left for Pacquaio to fight at Top Rank?

I'm sure they could have dug up some corpse of a can for him to beat up like they did with Margarito or Mosley or Hatton and his stans would slurp it up and think Manny beating them was some great accomplishment. Arum probably saw the writing on the wall. A rematch coming off a robbery/loss, even against a boring overmatched fighter like Bradley, would do good business for him.

So will this be replayed on HBO?

Some of the Twitter comments shown on ESPN by famous athletes are kind of suprising how shocked and upset at it they seem. Whenever I have seen a bad descision I just shrug and think well that's boxing, but will have to see a replay to see why such reactions.

They usually replay PPV fights on HBO about a month or two after they happen.

Manny & Pac are the only known boxers. You're out of your mind if you think the average person knows more than them.

I don't think they know more than that, and if I believed that, then I would indeed be out of my mind. I think most casual non-combat sports fans know those two boxers, and maybe Sugar Shane Mosley. However, I do think most casual non-fans who watch ESPN every day and follow baseball, football, basketball, soccer, and so on... I think they would be with me in not knowing any of the names of MMA fighters. Nothing against the sport, it just doesn't get the airtime that the top two boxers still get.

so is it time for the mods to merge the Boxing community and Pro Wrestling community threads into one? Let's start getting to know each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom