• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sioen

Man I am from Belgium and I'm on a train to antwerp and there is this weird dude running around with gloves on.. Kinds scared even if it's prob nothing..

pbsapeer

Banned
That number will sadly only rise as more victims succumb to their severe injuries.

Witness accounts of the Bataclan shootings are just horrifying. The effects of this day are too frightening to imagine.
:(
Read about the chilling one by one account. It's just awful.

Give your loved ones an extra squeeze tonight

sphagnum

Banned
He was more of an anti-Assad poster than pro-ISIS one, as he saw ISIS as the only capable force pushing against Assad and his soldiers. But that slowly turned him into cheering for ISIS, despite saying he disagreed with their methods and beheadings and stuff.

Yeah, I finally remembered his name, it was kobashi100. Looked up his posts and he mostly spent his time arguing that the media was lying about ISIS and they weren't beheading people or selling sex slaves etc. He maintained that killing innocent civilians was a bad thing but went down the rabbit hole pretending ISIS wasn't evil, so I wonder if he's finally snapped out of it by now or if he's only gone further into the craziness.

Alx

Fuck, this is still ongoing?

Source lemonde.fr this morning :

The attacks themselves are over. Most of the attackers exploded themselves, one who shot in the street and drove away may be on the run or maybe not, no official word.
Current death count is 120, 78 of which from the Bataclan. There are many severely wounded victims, so nothing final yet unfortunately.

Whole country is in state of emergency.

Osahi

I dont think its possible to beat their ideology with a military force. Reports on this Aljazera suvey said 80% of the people who responded to it (over 38 thousand) supported IS.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/28/tim-constantine-islamic-state-and-their-barbaric-a/

If possible, I think Western countries should keep their military out of the Middle East altogether, drastically cut Islamic immigration and have a 5-10 year "trial period" for ALL refugees they do take in (not just muslim ones) and deportation or indefinite/permanent detention should be mandatory if a serious crime is committed.
Im happy for the West to help the Middle East with aid and stuff. Just do it from a distance, because getting too involved with dangerous countries and people, has made the future of Europe (in particular) a potentially very scary one.

You do realize lots of ISIS thug is second or third generation migrants right? They are Europeans, and for one reason or the other radicalised. And the west will stay a target anyway. Your plan will do jack shit...

There is no 'good' solution I fear.

Anyway. Absolutely horrifying stuff. I adore Paris and go often. Have some contacts there, but they are safe.

I bring up Japan because their culture was and still is very different from the west, yet they were still able to be conquered and stabilized after the war. Of course terrorism is different because rather than a state and fighting in traditional rules of war, they hide among the general population.

I'm not sure Afghanistan was ever a truly full-scale total war effort. Not sure if enough ground troops were ever committed. Not sure if the occupation plan and government installation/infrastructure building was that good.

SMH

Alx

Well if you count chemical weapons then we already know that.

The only issue is that the ones using WMD there are the official government which is fighting ISIS...
Syria is fucked up tbh, unless you start fighting everybody there you'll be on the side of very questionable people.

...I'm still catching up but are you saying this was all caused by 8 attackers?!

fuck

Shows what organization and motivation can do. This was a well funded and planned incursion and not the last we will see.

I imagine the "success" of this attack will only embolden those responsible.

This is terrible, completely senseless, at a loss of words, heart goes out. Can't even imagine living in that type of fear at home.

Feels like a fulcrum for things to come. Tipping point might have been reached.

Shows what organization and motivation can do. This was a well funded and planned incursion and not the last we will see.

I imagine the "success" of this attack will only embolden those responsible.
That is the one of the worst parts of this long-term, along with the fact that we are seemingly helpless against things like this. It's not like we're being attacked by soldiers in uniform, they are attacking from plain sight amongst civilians.

8 "people" did this....

Guys I'm just laying in my hotel room and I'm sobbing. I don't post this type of stuff, but I don't know what to do to process all this sadness.

I am in the middle of a "fight" with my really good bud and I just sent him a message saying I didn't care if he blamed me as long as we just talk again. I am literally so sad right now I can't even sleep. These innocent people never should have had to deal with these inhuman poisons.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims, what a an awful, awful world we live in, When one of the most beautiful, peaceful and oldest cities in the world can turn into hell by bunch of misguided, brainwashed psychopaths.

strafer

The Globe in Stockholm

gl.jpg

Not my picture.

8 "people" did this....

Guys I'm just laying in my hotel room and I'm sobbing. I don't post this type of stuff, but I don't know what to do to process all this sadness.

I am in the middle of a "fight" with my really good bud and I just sent him a message saying I didn't care if he blamed me as long as we just talk again. I am literally so sad right now I can't even sleep. These innocent people never should have had to deal with these inhuman poisons.

even calling them poison is too good for them
demonic scum fits better

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Every time I hear or see an incident of this nature happen anytime or anywhere, this passage resonates with me more and more

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known, so far, to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

- Carl Sagan

That is the one of the worst parts of this long-term, along with the fact that we are seemingly helpless against things like this. It's not like we're being attacked by soldiers in uniform, they are attacking from plain sight amongst civilians.

LOL at the same time, this is the last kind of thing you want to spread among the population: paranoia. The less rational you become, the more susceptible you are to fear. Which then leads you to do even less rational things.

Lutherian

There's rumors of muslims being happy in Paris / near Paris about the attacks and the killing. It's fake. People are debunking these false allegations.

zsynqx

I am not going to link it but the title of the Breitbart article about this is sickening (but not surprising)

"Muslims declare war on France"

I am not going to link it but the title of the Breitbart article about this is sickening (but not surprising)

"Muslims declare war on France"

This kind of stuff is exactly the response groups like ISIS and whoever the perpetrators of this attack are want.

They want Europe to start a backlash, that way their narrative of " West vs Islam" has legs and they can recruit more people for their twisted and misguided cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom