• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Rufus

Just killed Atziri on my RFT Chieftan. Went OK, considering it's only my 3rd time. I forgot that she reflects curses, so I cursed myself with Ele Weakness and Flammability... Since I use Ball Lightning + CoH, I had enough time to realize my mistake before it hit. Definitely need to unbind my curse set-up should I attempt this again.

Decoy totem was incredibly useful with the trio. Kept the cycloner pretty much in the same spot.

Trash clear was surprisingly difficult, all because of the Vaal Constructs. Just before Atziri I had two packs of them, of them was Spirit Walker, roughly doubling their numbers. Next to a haste totem no less. That would have given me even more trouble on a normal RF build. This way I could at least drop a totem in there and hope for the best.

Anyway, I got a Doryani's belt and a Mortal Rage fragment. I had hoped for Doryani's Catalyst. Might buy one instead.

I was so scared. I'm still shaking. T_T

I have all the love in the world for this game, but god damn are their micro-transactions grossly overpriced. I feel like the average price for anything is basically $20. With a big resurgence in love for the game I've wanted to throw money at them, but at the same time I haven't been able to convince myself to buy anything but a currency tab and a Premium stash tab bundle because everything else just seems too expensive.

Kadin

I have all the love in the world for this game, but god damn are their micro-transactions grossly overpriced. I feel like the average price for anything is basically $20. With a big resurgence in love for the game I've wanted to throw money at them, but at the same time I haven't been able to convince myself to buy anything but a currency tab and a Premium stash tab bundle because everything else just seems too expensive.
Yeah it's a very common complaint, that's for sure. I bought the latest Hydra bundle and with the points I got some stash tabs and spent some on mystery boxes. I knew full well that it was a gamble and didn't get anything exciting. I also bought a portal skin and some skill animations. All of that stuff is way over priced buuuut I like the idea that I'm helping to support them so I'm okay with it in the end.

A lot of people say if they reduced their prices, they'd potentially sell more and I completely agree. The only thing I can think of is that they're selling plenty as it is and aren't motivated right now to reduce prices. And even the daily sales aren't all that great. *shrug*

Yeah it's a very common complaint, that's for sure. I bought the latest Hydra bundle and with the points I got some stash tabs and spent some on mystery boxes. I knew full well that it was a gamble and didn't get anything exciting. I also bought a portal skin and some skill animations. All of that stuff is way over priced buuuut I like the idea that I'm helping to support them so I'm okay with it in the end.

A lot of people say if they reduced their prices, they'd potentially sell more and I completely agree. The only thing I can think of is that they're selling plenty as it is and aren't motivated right now to reduce prices. And even the daily sales aren't all that great. *shrug*

Yeah, I did roughly the same. I ended up putting $60 into the game that I had on steam and after spending it all I've thought about throwing 20 more on it or something similar but just can't make myself do it because I know I'll get probably 1 item with that.

It's just a frustration from wanting to spend it on the game but not feeling like I'm getting value out of it.

Cerity

Yeah, MTX is pretty damn overpriced. There was a big blow up over the Gloom wings and rightly so, they look cool but nowhere near $40 cool. The armour sets go on sale every so often too, but from something like $42 down to $22-28.

I end up buying supporter packs here and there so I pick up whatever but it's still pretty annoying.

Xyber

I got my Righteous fire build going for real today. Currently lvl 80 with 6,5K HP so still got plenty of more strength nodes to go for and 2 more jewel slots.

Could do a T12 map fairly easily (first T12 I've had as well since I started playing last week), only had some minor problems with the boss. That's really the only downside to the build so far, single target damage isn't very great. Gonna try changing the AoE radius with Conc effect for the next high level boss I do and see if it helps a lot damage-wise. It's just a little annoying that you have to stand right on them with that because the AoE gets so small. Now I need to farm lab to get some good enchants, but it's so boring running through it over and over. :(

So far I like this build more than my Blade Vortex I started with, I lacked the money to gear him up properly so I never really got anywhere damage-wise there.

Rufus

Bring a decoy totem if you have a free slot. They all but magnetize to them. That way you can at least reduce some of the risk of standing near them.

Cerity

A3 Cruel is about the time to actually start having a look at where you are with your life pool and resistances. It's very easy to be under geared at that point.

Started a Vaal Sparker, CA feels pretty damn underwhelming now. Bit late for it but just trialing it to see how what I'll rock with next league.

Cracklox

I'm just up to A3 Merciless. I found in both difficulties so far that it sorta spikes with the act 3 boss, and a lot of act 4 is pretty tough. So far I haven't had too much trouble up to where I am in merciless, a few deaths here and there, but I'm expecting that to change if the pattern continues.

One thing that's frustrating me a little is the lab. I've tried on cruel (at level 60) and it didn't go well. The relative difficulty of the boss seems a little out of wack with everything else. I could barely damage him on his first phase, while all the mobs up to him were pretty faceroll. The traps also aren't so bad as long as you pay attention and don't rush too much. It was the same on normal as well, where I ended up completing it at 45, after some failures at 40. At least then I could beat his first and second phase, it was just the last one that (annoyingly) got me a few times.

I know he's a boss that's not meant to be easy, given the importance of what you get for beating him. But given how easy you can make all the other enemies by out-leveling them it makes it pretty tedious to get back to him only to barely nudge his health bar, while at the constant risk of being stunfucked and 2-3 shot.

But then, being a noob, I'm probably doing something very wrong. Like Chaos Res, which I'm completely lacking on, and not sure exactly where to get. At least in the amounts you seem to need. In merciless I'm -38% :( I'm also two nodes from chaos inoculation and pretty tempted by it. How much energy shield do you need to make it viable? I've got about 2k, but have a feeling that won't nearly be enough.

That was longer then intended. Better do a TL;DR
- cruel lab boss is a dick, compared to difficulty of rest of lab.
- Kinda was on normal as well
- I prob suck, and know I lack things like chaos res
- Is chaos Innoculation worth it, and how much energy shield do you need to make it work?
-TL;DR's make long posts longer

Interesting. I'll definitely jump back in once they release the new skills. Kind of burnt myself out on BV. Currently playing Grim Dawn mostly right now.
And Destiny

Heh. Bestest game. My above disappoint accidentally led to me logging on for 1st time in a while and checking out the latest update yesterday. Nice stuff, and can't wait for everything else they have in the works.
Whats a Destiny?

I haven't played it since the first early access build so it was nice coming back to it with all the new systems in place.

Game is pretty challenging trying to level as primal strike. I want to keep playing but this game might pull me away once new skills drop.

Cerity

Chaos resist is one of those things that are nice to have but not overly necessary, not too many mobs actually deal chaos damage. The ones that do, you should be able to outheal pretty easily.

Lab shouldn't be that bad, some days you get nasty combinations but that's the reason why people tend to seriously over level lab to begin with. If it's particularly bad for their builds you can buy runs.

TheFatOne

So my pathfinder bv died today. It was by far the dumbest rip I have ever had in Poe. I just wanted to do some easy maps when I came back from work as a way to relax. I ran an ele reflect map t8 and the first mob killed me instantly. Was pretty stunned I made such an easy mistake. 700 chaos gone just like that lol. Learn from my mistake. Don't run reflect maps if your build can't run them lol. Going to run a vaal spark build. That's the build I'm going to start in the next league as a currency farmer. Want to start practicing racing. My goal for the next league is to make it to maps in 8 hours or less and make it to 95.

Xyber

Ugh, after spending a lot of time on poe.trade looking for a good 6-linked with the right colors I finally find it. It has all the stats I want, so that it was corrupted didn't bother me.

I send the message aaaand... "That character is not logged in". :(

If only I had found it faster.

So my pathfinder bv died today. It was by far the dumbest rip I have ever had in Poe. I just wanted to do some easy maps when I came back from work as a way to relax. I ran an ele reflect map t8 and the first mob killed me instantly. Was pretty stunned I made such an easy mistake. 700 chaos gone just like that lol. Learn from my mistake. Don't run reflect maps if your build can't run them lol. Going to run a vaal spark build. That's the build I'm going to start in the next league as a currency farmer. Want to start practicing racing. My goal for the next league is to make it to maps in 8 hours or less and make it to 95.

Sucks but it's bound to happen eventually.

Hopefully the servers hold up beginning of next league. What are you going to do for Vaal Spark? I messed around with it last league after my summoner but I never really got it off the ground.

Kadin

Ugh, after spending a lot of time on poe.trade looking for a good 6-linked with the right colors I finally find it. It has all the stats I want, so that it was corrupted didn't bother me.

I send the message aaaand... "That character is not logged in". :(

If only I had found it faster.
Hate when this happens. I'll just keep trying every 15-20 mins or so when it does with the hope that they were just on recently and hopefully might return.

TheFatOne

Just a friendly reminder to GAF. If you want to make a lot of currency in PoE consider making a build just to farm Uber Lab. I spend about 3-4 chaos per offering, and will make that money back no problem. With my blade vortex pathfinder I would spend 100 chaos for offerings and easily double/triple that money. It's just super efficient on good layouts. Especially on those days with 5 key runs. It takes some time to learn the lab, and if you aren't careful you can die easily. It's well worth it though.
Sucks but it's bound to happen eventually.

Hopefully the servers hold up beginning of next league. What are you going to do for Vaal Spark? I messed around with it last league after my summoner but I never really got it off the ground.
Going CI sparker to farm Dried Lakes. From what I read on the forums, and see on reddit you can make a lot of currency this way because of the insanely fast clear speed. Not entirely sure how I want to build it yet. Think I'm going to go the templar route for my vaal sparker. I like instruments of virtue, and invitable judgement a lot. Plus after those two I can get the flat 8% reduced ele damage. The only thing is that I have to spend a lot of points making my way to the right side of the tree. Not the worst thing in the world though since I have to grab those middle nodes in the witch area anyway. Going to route to get those crit nodes, and pierce nodes. Going to level with bladefall and make the switch to vaal spark once I get all the unique jewels, and ES gear. Once I'm fully geared I'm going to make a spreadsheet and see how farming dried lakes for currency stacks against Uber Lab. Will report back with the results once I'm done.

Mulgrok

Finally decided to try essence league and am levelling as a super tanky juggernaut. Haven't died yet, but have come close (under 5% hp) against some essence bosses and exiles. I have 2200 hp, 50% block, 71% physical reduction, 75% resists (15% chaos) at act 2 in cruel. Got lucky and essenced some very solid 1 hand maces or else my guy would not do enough damage to get anywhere.

The essences are really nice for solo players who don't want to take part in trade and can actually net you some good weapons to sell if you do trade.

I really want them to make it prevalent in leagues going forward as it is almost an integral part that makes the game better overall. Hope they don't go they perandus way and make the drop rate of them so much less than the league.

Rufus

First time doing Pale Council netted me a Reach of the Council. Low roll 95% IPD, 15-93 flat, but still. Another one for the trophy case.
Definitely not doing that again though. Perfeormance was abysmal in spots. Almost died twice to stuff I didn't even see coming. Decoy MVP.

After the rough start to the league I'm doing pretty well. First time in a long while that I've reached lvl 90 on a character as well. Getting pretty bored though. Don't think I'll start another character should this one die.

I hit 90 and took a break. I was really hoping that new skills would have been introduced by now by I think by taking this break I will feel fresh for the new update. Probably should have farmed currency for a little before I stopped. Only got a few exalts leftover although I have about 15+ in my gear should I need to sell.

Mulgrok

Essences have been kind to me while leveling. I keep rolling great 1 hand maces when I need them. My second attempt on a gavel netted me a 290~ dps one. I wonder how my luck will fair when I hit act 4 merciless.

EDIT: can't beat malchezar, but cleared merciless lab in 1 try easily. Guess I will start on maps soon since I hit 71 doing the lab run.

TheFatOne

Looks like GGG is testing out an auction house for the Chinese beta. Not sure why they didn't talk about this before. Checked Reddit Poe subreddit and saw a thread about it. Something to keep an eye on. Trading right now is awful and Poe desperately needs trading improvements. It should have been one of the first improvements to the game. No way should act 4 have come out before improvements to trading. I'm glad there is now actual proof of GGG working on trading instead of them saying stay tuned over and over again.

Interesting....

I am assuming this will be in game? Having an in game browser with the ability to buy items directly from people's stashes would be nice if they have search parameters like poe.trade.

The only issue I can see is that flippers/snipers will get an even bigger advantage if they can get items without the "interaction" they have to go through now.

Good thing is that more people might get into trading if it is something they don't have to go outside of the client to do quickly and easily which means more items for everyone.

Bootsy

As someone who prefers playing self-found I hope an AH doesn't effect drops rates or difficulty, but I imagine the game would be too easy for players that used them if they didn't change anything.

Are there special conditions needed to get unique maps to drop, or am I just unlucky? Pre-nerf, I ran Graveyard hundreds of times and it never dropped.

V_Arnold

Bring the AH on. the only people against the ah at this point, imho, are either uninformed about the current state of trading, or ARE actively profiting off poe.trade and do not want a more equal playing field. Bring it on.

squidyj

As someone who prefers playing self-found I hope an AH doesn't effect drops rates or difficulty, but I imagine the game would be too easy for players that used them if they didn't change anything.

people already achieve largely the same effect using indexers like poe.trade highly doubtful that they would adjust drop rates or anything like that to accomodate a somewhat less restricted trade mechanic. The potential to complete transactions when people are afk or offline would add some to the market though I guess.
At least with an automated auction house you wouldn't have to worry as much about price manipulation(presumably)

Cerity

The AH will effect game by how quickly those mid tier rares become worthless, stuff like 2-3x res and high ish life rolls. See how it is in standard atm, the only real valuable rare items are the top T1 rolls. Trading will become instantly easier and much less hassle so more people will be using it. I'm not sure how much that'll matter in the end though, it is pretty easy to get to merc on a handful of levelling uniques. And I find gear progression comes more from being able to actually buy those build enabling or build changing uniques instead of just moving up to the next tier life/res rolls with most chars I play.

I just hope GGG pilot an AH in a temp league at the very least, they've never gotten anything right the first time around and messing around with it in a temp league will let them see how it'll go. It's crazy how reluctant they've been to implement an AH so far.

Yeah mid-tier rares would lose their value much quicker but outside of the first weeks I don't think any of my mid-tier rares sell for much of anything. I don't think it will be too bad. I made most of my currency selling essences this league and the random popular unique.

As long as next league has another way to generate currency like essences do I think things will be fine. Uber lab is looking more and more promising to me when the AH drops.

TheFatOne

Completely forgot I had a flame totem at level 87. Got my vaal sparker in a nice spot, and got lucky with some nice drops. Bought 70 regrets and respeced into ancestral warchief totem bro. Today I'm going to try to do the Uber Lab with the build.
Yeah mid-tier rares would lose their value much quicker but outside of the first weeks I don't think any of my mid-tier rares sell for much of anything. I don't think it will be too bad. I made most of my currency selling essences this league and the random popular unique.

As long as next league has another way to generate currency like essences do I think things will be fine. Uber lab is looking more and more promising to me when the AH drops.

Get up on that Uber Lab farming. Shit is bananas. Tons of currency, div cards, maps, quality gems, etc. It's so damn nice. From now on I'm going to make Uber farmers for my first character.

Yeah the currency spent on offerings seems to be a good RoI. I just can't stand having to deal with the map hazards and traps. I think it will keep things interesting for me though so I might try it out next league as this is the first league I have stopped after less than a month in.

TheFatOne

Yeah the currency spent on offerings seems to be a good RoI. I just can't stand having to deal with the map hazards and traps. I think it will keep things interesting for me though so I might try it out next league as this is the first league I have stopped after less than a month in.

After a bunch of runs you get used to the layouts, and especially the trap layouts. Once you get used to the layouts it's a breeze. Would just go really slow the first couple of times. I really hate the traps in general, but once you do it enough times it's not bad. My suggestion to you would be to go CI instead of life for Uber. CI right now is just stupid good. I can rush the lab with 8k ES, and unless I do something really dumb I won't come close to dying. Life just doesn't compare in the Uber lab right now. Some more tips.

Know which Izaro buffs do what. When he has his attacks buffed with the right weapons he can one shot you depending on your build. So don't run the labs on the days that are too dangerous. Lab drops the lvl 6 shaped map. It's an easy way to build the early mid tier map pool. Two silver chest are the only ones worth opening. The curious lockbox always drops an extra key. With this lockbox it's possible to do 5 key runs. Just have to kill Argus to get the other key. The intricate lockbox is the second, and it always drops a lab unique. Some lab uniques like deaths door and izaros turmoil sell for a good amount. That is in hard core essence league. These are just a couple of things I thought of just in case you didn't know them.

Edit: I used to hate lab, and now I love it. It's so damn good at generating currency. With all the stuff that can drop in the chest it's amazing. Those div card chests are great for currency too.

After a bunch of runs you get used to the layouts, and especially the trap layouts. Once you get used to the layouts it's a breeze. Would just go really slow the first couple of times. I really hate the traps in general, but once you do it enough times it's not bad. My suggestion to you would be to go CI instead of life for Uber. CI right now is just stupid good. I can rush the lab with 8k ES, and unless I do something really dumb I won't come close to dying. Life just doesn't compare in the Uber lab right now. Some more tips.

Know which Izaro buffs do what. When he has his attacks buffed with the right weapons he can one shot you depending on your build. So don't run the labs on the days that are too dangerous. Lab drops the lvl 6 shaped map. It's an easy way to build the early mid tier map pool. Two silver chest are the only ones worth opening. The curious lockbox always drops an extra key. With this lockbox it's possible to do 5 key runs. Just have to kill Argus to get the other key. The intricate lockbox is the second, and it always drops a lab unique. Some lab uniques like deaths door and izaros turmoil sell for a good amount. That is in hard core essence league. These are just a couple of things I thought of just in case you didn't know them.

Edit: I used to hate lab, and now I love it. It's so damn good at generating currency. With all the stuff that can drop in the chest it's amazing. Those div card chests are great for currency too.

Hmm I might actually try and get my CI Vaal Sparker idea up and running to try and farm Uber Lab then. Just need to figure out how I want my tree/class to look like.

TheFatOne

Hmm I might actually try and get my CI Vaal Sparker idea up and running to try and farm Uber Lab then. Just need to figure out how I want my tree/class to look like.

Don't go vaal spark. You can't use it against Izaro since it's a separate instance. No way my vaal sparker could reliable do Uber, and spark overall sucks. Just go with the meta build king blade vortex :p

Edit: I have shit gear right now and don't have good flasks or a way to mitigate stun as CI, and can do low level maps with my sparker no problem. Hellshingu vaal spark is a ton of fun. I need to save up for vinktars, the flask that makes you stun imune, and some other gear and I'm going to try and map. It's super fun.

Rufus

How long is Essence League likely to last?
Leagues are usually 3 months long. Essence started September 2nd, so the end date should be some time in the last week of November or first week of December, depending on what they have planned to fill the gap to the next league/content update.

Don't go vaal spark. You can't use it against Izaro since it's a separate instance. No way my vaal sparker could reliable do Uber, and spark overall sucks. Just go with the meta build king blade vortex :p

Edit: I have shit gear right now and don't have good flasks or a way to mitigate stun as CI, and can do low level maps with my sparker no problem. Hellshingu vaal spark is a ton of fun. I need to save up for vinktars, the flask that makes you stun imune, and some other gear and I'm going to try and map. It's super fun.

Yeah I've had my flasks since week 1. I had to rebuild my system this last week since my psu/motherboard ended up giving out. Really sucks but I just ended up doing a completely new build. It's been 4 years with the same pieces and I've only upgraded the video card once. Still waiting on some new skills before I hop back in.

Was able to sell a 5-link +3 Staff for a few Ex right as my Cyclone build was petering out so I'm using it to fund a new Reave or Bladefall character. Haven't decided which yet, those are the two that are just piquing my interest.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm really enjoying the essence mechanic. Shitty I joined the league so late, oh well, hope they add it to the main game.

TheFatOne

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go softcore from here on out for every league. I really dislike leveling in this game from 1-70. They have to streamline that shit. Cruel just doesn't make any sense, and the only defense they even have for not removing it is that leveling three times is a legacy thing. Diablo did it so they want to keep it that way. It was always beyond stupid reasoning not to fix the boring ass leveling in this game. Just because ARPGs have done things a certain way for a long while doesn't mean that it's the best way to go about doing it. Also, the economy takes a nose dive in hardcore the further along you get in the leagues.

It's great for the first month, and then just tapers off badly after that. It's the reason I stopped playing longer into the leagues. Just tired of leveling and then dying to stupid bullshit that I have zero control over. Have been trying to level up a blade vortex character, and have died at 50, 64,60, and 59 to stupid bullshit lag spikes. Game lags my character is squishy and then there are 50 mobs hitting me at once. The number one reason I'm going to switch though is that if I don't switch from HC to SC is that I will never try their new bosses or the harder content. It seems like they just want to throw harder and harder content from now on so if I don't change I'm never going to be able to try that stuff out. Feels bad man.

Zynx

Do you run a 2nd account?
Using a 2nd account to give yourself waypoints and help with bosskills helps a lot with leveling in my experience even if you have active friends/guildmates because you don't want to bother them all the time.

But yeah if you don't have that much time and want to challenge the new content SC is definitely the way to go, especially with internet or other performance issues.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
patch 2.4.2 notes

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1767835

There are now two Path of Exile game clients. The original DirectX 9 version has been substantially improved. We have also introduced an experimental 64-bit DirectX 11 version which you can now use. This version will become the default for systems that support it at 2.5.0's release.

To use the 64-bit DirectX 11 client: If you're using the Standalone game client, then run PathofExile_x64.exe. If you're using Steam, right click on Path of Exile in your library and click "Play 64-bit DX11 Version".

Both the DirectX 9 and 11 clients are substantially faster than the previous version of Path of Exile in high-load situations when CPU-bound. In addition, the new DirectX 11 client has more scope for future improvement as we continue to optimise it over time.
hnnnnnggggg

They heard us!

Removed the Kaom's Path area and modified Kaom's Stronghold and Kaom's Dream to compensate for its removal.

Edit: Hey KK, can you invite a friend of mine? Gruntsalot is one of his characer's name and he's definitely active

Top Bottom