• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Kuntz

I'd like to finally start playing this but I'm scared.
Can I learn on my own, never use any guide and still get somewhere?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Honestly, you're going to have a rough time to it. But there's something to be said for having the experience of going in blind and then failing. You could see how far you get, and if it's not very far then start a new character and follow a build at least.

Everyone messes up their first character. But use this time to seek out skills/spells/mechanics you like and want to learn further. Don't reroll the character "to do better" until you hit a wall and can't progress no matter what you do.

Just a FYI, grinding isn't necessary until endgame (maps).

I went in blind and took a few characters to get real handle of the game, but I personally had fun playing regardless. Figuring things out and reaping the benefits is a feeling I like. But it takes time.

edit--
This game is quite deep so looking at guides and learning from them is not a sin, you might want do do it sooner or later even if you don't intend to follow their builds.

inky

You can to some degree, if you don't mind the trial and error nature of it and ruining a bunch of characters in the way. It might be a slow process tho. But a lot of people have done a lot of legwork on what you need and what works and doesn't, so don't discount that knowledge in the future either.

When you are ready, I would recommend this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2o2wW7xbQ

It's very basic know-how on how to prepare your own builds without being a strict guide to follow blindly. That channel can also introduce you to other basic concepts if you are having trouble understanding other stuff.

Would I be able to get an invite to the GAF guild? My in game name is LilDebrah.

I'm a Duelist in the new league, just making it through cruel right now.

Haly

IKBr5Xh.jpg
mOnvOJG.png

So I'm trying SRS and I got:
2x Violent Dead (Unique Jewel)
Mon'tregul's Grasp
Victario's Charity (with Necromantic Aegis passive)

Just got to merc dried lake and whole enemy packs just..explode. It's a foreign feeling to me that thing holding me back is my movement speed. I never got this kinda of build going last league.

Oof. Too bad you can't craft league stones, but I guess that'd be a bit over the top.

Fitz

Would love to get in on the GAF guild as well if possible, bit quiet playing on my own, could use some witty banter. :p Character at the moment is GodBaron.

Please invite Tempestarae to the GAF guild.

I'm making a Shock Nova Elementalist this season. Having trouble with survivability and sustainability at the moment. :-X

Volodja

I lost my level 50 SSF Flamebast Totem fella to late night breach related stupidty. Yay for fat fingering every button but the movement skill one.
At least being SSF I didn't invest anything into it and the dude actually found me the first Exalt of the league and a few Chaos.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Crazy that Pendulum of Destruction doesn't have a buff icon. The little aura that forms around the character is really hard to see and it's not reliable at all.

IRL got in the way Friday and Saturday. Was able to make it to A4C today. EQ Slayer lab farmer is coming along nicely. Can't wait to get to Uber lab. Hope to be there by Wednesday or Thursday.

Cerity

You must be channelling all my RNG Haly.

Got to maps and hit a pretty big wall, I've probably run about 50 maps - still haven't run into zana, haven't been able to progress past T5's and haven't had a decent drop since I made it to merciless.

Also you'd figure jewelry/chaos recipe would be fairly easy in this league but I've only managed to hand a full recipe in 3 times now.

Cerity

Luck is finally picking up again, got an abyssus in merc lab and managed a 10% ias cyclone enchant. Any idea on pricing it?

I'm feeling very fragile this league. I mean I'm a witch summoner with 7k life&es total + MoM (~400 unreserved mana). I have capped resistances except fire (65%) and chaos (-40%). Many of the things I encounter seem to eat through that 7k in a blink of the eye in T3-T4 maps. Merc Izaro one-shotted me last night, or it seemed that way. Even dried lake feels dangerous to get hit in with only 7k hp.

Or is it that the league stone add a lot to the difficulty of maps? Been using warbands, beyond, essence & nemesis a lot.

Looking for tips how to survive better. "Get better life/es/resists" + don't get hit?

Volodja

I'm feeling very fragile this league. I mean I'm a witch summoner with 7k life&es total + MoM (~400 unreserved mana). I have capped resistances except fire (65%) and chaos (-40%). Many of the things I encounter seem to eat through that 7k in a blink of the eye in T3-T4 maps. Merc Izaro one-shotted me last night, or it seemed that way. Even dried lake feels dangerous to get hit in with only 7k hp.

Or is it that the league stone add a lot to the difficulty of maps? Been using warbands, beyond, essence & nemesis a lot.

Looking for tips how to survive better. "Get better life/es/resists" + don't get hit?
I don't know much about hybrid builds and especially softcore builds, but I think this is too little info to say much aside from what you said to avoid (still, you really need to cap resistances in merciless, let alone doing maps).
What is your build, what gem setup, what minions, how do you move through the level?
As a summoner your minions should be your shield, you shouldn't be hit that much at all, you can't rely on a big life+es pool to tank stuff.

And Izaro really shouldn't be able to 1 shot you through 7k life+es, maybe if you let him get all the buffs? Not sure.

I don't know much about hybrid builds and especially softcore builds, but I think this is too little info to say much aside from what you said to avoid (still, you really need to cap resistances in merciless, let alone doing maps).
What is your build, what gem setup, what minions, how do you move through the level?
As a summoner your minions should be your shield, you shouldn't be hit that much at all, you can't rely on a big life+es pool to tank stuff.

And Izaro really shouldn't be able to 1 shot you through 7k life+es, maybe if you let him get all the buffs? Not sure.

Does this help?
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Vihermaali/characters
Character "GhostOfGreenPast", only char in legacy league

Minions: SRS + 4 zombies + 2 spectres + skelly totem
Auras: haste + discipline. used to be purity + discipline but I switched
How I move: if I see pack before it sees me, I put down skelly totem in middle of them and then convocation if needed to get rest of minions in battle. Then I spam SRS close to, or in middle of, pack. Use vaal haste if pack has a difficult enemy in it.
If pack sees me first, I convocation and then back off a bit, but still staying close to fight.

I mostly stay close so that the SRS won't wander around pointlessly.

edit--
I would build the character the same if it was in HC. Perhaps with difference that I would put blasphemy+enfeeble curse -combo and purity of elements instead of current "haste" aura.

Error

Elementalist Flameblast build is fine so far. Should be making the transition to CI soon. Only Breaches are giving me problems but so far everything is smooth. Bosses go down super quick.

Haven't had much luck with the drops so far. No unique that make me go "whoa I can build around this!". Haven't traded anything yet either.

How's Doomfletcher these days?

Haly

Doomfletcher and Death Opus is the new go-to now that Reach and Drill are dead.

Tom Penny

I need to get started in the league. Too busy noobing it up in standard with totem builds after not playing forever. Tried the flameblast one but my ancestrial warchief one was way tankier and stronger and did pretty high level mapping T14 with not much issues. Still can't try the last lab because GGG is stupid and makes the labs random instead of giving you the ones you are missing...Ive never got all the ascendency points for a character.

Error

I'm looking at the wiki and there's two version of this bow. I'm guessing the one that is part of the bow meta is the Prism one?

I have regular Doomfletch in my inventory. How much does the prophecy for Prism goes for these days?

Haly

I'm looking at the wiki and there's two version of this bow. I'm guessing the one that is part of the bow meta is the Prism one?

I have regular Doomfletch in my inventory. How much does the prophecy for Prism goes for these days?
Ancient Doom is like 2c.

Dahbomb

Drillneck is still pretty good/usable, just not as busted as before.

Reach of the Council is definitely RIP in pepperonis now. Most baffling change in that list.

Doom/Death's/Voltaxic are definitely the meta bows right now.

Error

That isn't so bad pricewise. What's the recommended venue for trades? Chat is probably full of scammers.

Haly

That isn't so bad pricewise. What's the recommended venue for trades? Chat is probably full of scammers.
If you're not using this already you really should: http://poe.trade/

It's everything that should've been PoE's trading solution but wasn't.

Man, I haven't had time to play since launch. Fuck real life.

Hopefully today I can make some progress.

Neither have I. I'm hoping I'll be able to get to Merc Dried Lake tonight and do some maps. I need to get cruel and merc lab hopefully tonight, too. I'm at A3M right now. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be on Uber lab farm status.

poe.trade

Error

Thanks

GGG needs to update the entire trading structure, relying on the in-game chat exclusively for trading sucks.

Dahbomb

Yeah in-game chat and noticeboard are full of scammers. You have to use poetrade to trade otherwise you go solo self found.

They definitely have to update the trading system if they want it to be an integral part of the game. I would also like it if solo self found was its own thing separately and the drop rates were jacked up so you could feasibly get what you wanted to.

PoE is also in need of some much needed QoL changes. With these leaguestones, inventory and menu management has gotten a bit too much.

Error

Yeah they need to work on the UI big time. An auto sort for inventory, separate inventory space for any league related currency etc...

I bought th essence stash tab, seems like they are adding the mechanic fulltime to the game. Might as well.

Cerity

Does this help?
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Vihermaali/characters
Character "GhostOfGreenPast", only char in legacy league

Minions: SRS + 4 zombies + 2 spectres + skelly totem
Auras: haste + discipline. used to be purity + discipline but I switched
How I move: if I see pack before it sees me, I put down skelly totem in middle of them and then convocation if needed to get rest of minions in battle. Then I spam SRS close to, or in middle of, pack. Use vaal haste if pack has a difficult enemy in it.
If pack sees me first, I convocation and then back off a bit, but still staying close to fight.

I mostly stay close so that the SRS won't wander around pointlessly.

edit--
I would build the character the same if it was in HC. Perhaps with difference that I would put blasphemy+enfeeble curse -combo and purity of elements instead of current "haste" aura.

It's hard to build for both zombs and SRS while being effective, they're on the opposite ends in terms of summon playstyle IMO. I'd choose one or the other and go from there.

If zombs, look more into auramancing and look into getting that new summoner helm. If SRS, pickup a 5L Staff, craft +2 to fire gems and focus on getting that cast speed.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1851159

2.6.0D patch notes.

My highlights:
* Perandus Leaguestones that drop after this patch will now have a 20% chance to spawn Cadiro in the next area.
* Onslaught Leaguestones that drop after this patch will now have 20% increased Quantity of Items found in the next area.
* The Leaguestone progress bar now appears red when the leaguestone has not activated because it is underleveled for the area that the player is in.

It's hard to build for both zombs and SRS while being effective, they're on the opposite ends in terms of summon playstyle IMO. I'd choose one or the other and go from there.

If zombs, look more into auramancing and look into getting that new summoner helm. If SRS, pickup a 5L Staff, craft +2 to fire gems and focus on getting that cast speed.

Cheers, I guess I was trying to be a do-it-all -summoner. Bad idea.

Volodja

Cheers, I guess I was trying to be a do-it-all -summoner. Bad idea.
I'll add something on top of what he said, nothing ultra specific because I don't have much experience with that specific kind of character and I'm not that good at the game anyway.

Your gem setup is really sparse, partially because of how spread out you are, but not only. For example using a naked Raise spectre gem is very limited. Also if you have survivability issues and open gem slots, put some defensive stuff in there, especially if your playstyle requires you to get close to the enemies.

You said you would use the same setup in HC so I'm gonna comment about it from that point of view. You could use a Cast when damage taken setup, with Immortal call, maybe associate convocation to it so when you are hit your summons huddle around you to protect you. You pointed the blasphemy+enfeeble possibility, but you really should use curses regardless of blasphemy, maybe with a curse on hit setup with orb of storms if you wanna fire and forget it, or ball lightning to curse everyone in a line, or even just self casting them (old school Diablo 2 skelliemancer vibes), you won't have much to do during the fights anyway if you get rid of SRS (well, you'll have to dodge). That could open up more aura possibilities to help your defenses, something like considering Arctic armour or discipline, you won't need a gigantic mana pool to sustain your zoo, anyway as you shouldn't have to spam costly stuff (although Raise Zombies can be require quite a bit of mana, I guess).

As for summon setup you could for example switch to a raise spectre build, for that the gems depend on the kind of spectre you use (if you do that, you can't just use any spectre, you need to have specific gem setups for different spectres).
If you wanna keep the Zombie route, then switch them to your biggest link and give them, like, damage, melee splash and increased melee physical damage, maybe? Not sure if that kind of build could use a hatred more than haste.
Search for summoner guides focused on zombies to see how to deal with that. If you forego the SRS cast speed for you is gonna become less crucial. Cerity's idea about auramancing is great, too.

Oh, one item related issue I have to point out. Do something about those flasks, at least a Staunching Life flask and, I dunno, a Granite flask?

I'll add something on top of what he said, nothing ultra specific because I don't have much experience with that specific kind of character and I'm not that good at the game anyway.

Your gem setup is really sparse, partially because of how spread out you are, but not only. For example using a naked Raise spectre gem is very limited. Also if you have survivability issues and open gem slots, put some defensive stuff in there, especially if your playstyle requires you to get close to the enemies.

You said you would use the same setup in HC so I'm gonna comment about it from that point of view. You could use a Cast when damage taken setup, with Immortal call, maybe associate convocation to it so when you are hit your summons huddle around you to protect you. You pointed the blasphemy+enfeeble possibility, but you really should use curses regardless of blasphemy, maybe with a curse on hit setup with orb of storms if you wanna fire and forget it, or ball lightning to curse everyone in a line, or even just self casting them (old school Diablo 2 skelliemancer vibes), you won't have much to do during the fights anyway if you get rid of SRS (well, you'll have to dodge). That could open up more aura possibilities to help your defenses, something like considering Arctic armour or discipline, you won't need a gigantic mana pool to sustain your zoo, anyway as you shouldn't have to spam costly stuff (although Raise Zombies can be require quite a bit of mana, I guess).

As for summon setup you could for example switch to a raise spectre build, for that the gems depend on the kind of spectre you use (if you do that, you can't just use any spectre, you need to have specific gem setups for different spectres).
If you wanna keep the Zombie route, then switch them to your biggest link and give them, like, damage, melee splash and increased melee physical damage, maybe? Not sure if that kind of build could use a hatred more than haste.
Search for summoner guides focused on zombies to see how to deal with that. If you forego the SRS cast speed for you is gonna become less crucial. Cerity's idea about auramancing is great, too.

Oh, one item related issue I have to point out. Do something about those flasks, at least a Staunching Life flask and, I dunno, a Granite flask?

Thanks for the advice. I think I prefer SRS over other types. I like idea of spectres but the quality of life doesn't seem to be there yet that I'd go for it over SRS. Here some actions I'm thinking, from perspective that my clear speed + single target dmg are both fine:
- Already switched 4-slot mana to granite flask. I also need to enhance flasks for bleed + ignite removals
- I completely forgot about arctic armor. I'm thinking discipline + arctic + blasphemy-enfeeble. I had disc+purity+b-e last league, but I no longer need purity
- Get rid of spectre gem maybe as it's doing nothing but being an extra body or two on field
- Cast on dmg taken + immortal call is something I never thought about, gonna try for sure. Now if only there was an easy way to generate endurance charges, hmm.
[edit--
- Get rid of morghul one hander and replace with some other 1-hander. Not sure about getting rid of Victario's Charity (and getting a staff) because the charges it generates seem to be insane. For example +45% attack speed & +600% crit chance on all SRS
- get rid of zombie gems and use.. err. "Apparitions" which I already have, plus "Fortified Legion" since I intend to use non-SRS minions as tanks?
/edit]

Thanks for advice, would have never thought of arctic armor or immortal-call-cast-dmg-taken. I'll see about rest of your advice when I try another type of summoner.

I'll see about SRS guides out there to see if I can learn something from them.

Volodja

Thanks for the advice. I think I prefer SRS over other types. I like idea of spectres but the quality of life doesn't seem to be there yet that I'd go for it over SRS. Here some actions I'm thinking, from perspective that my clear speed + single target dmg are both fine:
- Already switched 4-slot mana to granite flask. I also need to enhance flasks for bleed + ignite removals
- I completely forgot about arctic armor. I'm thinking discipline + arctic + blasphemy-enfeeble. I had disc+purity+b-e last league, but I no longer need purity
- Get rid of spectre gem maybe as it's doing nothing but being an extra body or two on field
- Cast on dmg taken + immortal call is something I never thought about, gonna try for sure. Now if only there was an easy way to generate endurance charges, hmm.
[edit--
- Get rid of morghul one hander and replace with some other 1-hander. Not sure about getting rid of Victario's Charity (and getting a staff) because the charges it generates seem to be insane. For example +45% attack speed & +600% crit chance on all SRS
- get rid of zombie gems and use.. err. "Apparitions" which I already have, plus "Fortified Legion" since I intend to use non-SRS minions as tanks?
/edit]

Thanks for advice, would have never thought of arctic armor or immortal-call-cast-dmg-taken. I'll see about rest of your advice when I try another type of summoner.

I'll see about SRS guides out there to see if I can learn something from them.
Don't worry necessarily about the endurance charges, if you want drop an "increased duration support" on it, that will get the base duration to like 0.7 seconds, which should be enough to protect you from series of bursts killing you instantly and to give you some time to understand what's happening. You could also CwdT + Frost Wall to keep enemies out or add the curse instead of going with blasphemy for it, leaving you space for another aura. Also, the leveling on CwdT depends on how often you want it to pop and how high a level you need the skills associated with it.
Like if you are using Immortal Call without endurance generation, don't level CwdT or Immortal call as they'll just pop less often for no advantage.

If your clear speed is good enough you should be able to be pretty much perma granited and quicksilvered.

If you want your zombies to just tank, give them life, resistance and drop fortify on them as well. They should become pretty damn beefy.

Haly

You needed a specific perandus leaguestone that guarantees a cadiro spawn to see him at all.

I got one of those and got two unique maps off of it.

Zynx

Wow, of all places to drop a skyforth. So the coward trial drop ignores ilvl requirements.

But more importantly, this is the last time we'll be doing cruel/merciless. It almost doesn't feel real to me.

Top Bottom