• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

KingKong

man the Scion is fun. so much better than the Marauder. I got a unique drop at level 2 too and I dont think I ever got one in the beta. her unique skill rules too.

Does it work with a bow?

are Leagues like ladder in D2? How long do they last. I have a 69 witch in softcore I guess its called but am wondering if I should reroll in a new "league"

Perkel

Banned
Can I ask why? Early on your character's accuracy should be low (that is by design) so you will be missing a lot. That is what many people often mistake for janky gameplay (not saying it is your case), but obviously as your character grows in levels it will become tighter.

As for when the game "clicks" that depends on your build and playstyle. Some shine early, other abilities don't shine as much until you put a couple of support gems on them (eg. spectral throw), have the endurance charges to support them (eg. Flicker Strike), have the auras to complement your character, or hit certain keystones in your tree (eg. resolute technique) that make your build feel like you want it. PoE is not a game that clicks instantly, it is based on repetition and experimentation, and ultimately, about your build hitting endgame.

It is clear as day that PoE doesn't have best combat feel. It is mainly because most of animations are mediacore. That coupled with lack of physic when you kill monster and hit/miss mechanic creates this jank feel.

Naturally removing miss mechanic and melee being actually melee is out of question and "fuck haters"

If they would improve animations then combat would feel much better. I personally love death animations of mobs but i would love some combo of death animations and physic. D3 ragdoll shit isn't really better than Titan Quest ragdoll.

It naturally gets waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better when you have attack speed upped but start of game is dreadful in therms of animations.

Maybe unrelated...what's this GAF magazine?

If you have NeoGAF gold subscription you will get mag as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
are Leagues like ladder in D2? How long do they last. I have a 69 witch in softcore I guess its called but am wondering if I should reroll in a new "league"

Yes, they're modifiers for the base game. Dominiation throws "shrines" like Diablo 2 at you but the enemies use those buffs until you reach the shrine and then it's YOUR buff to attack them with for a limited time, for instance.

Perkel

Banned

Yes. Difference is that those leagues have their own mechanics that may be different to standard league.

Usually those new leagues introduce changes that have big probability being standard feature in normal game like rogue exiles.

Yes. Difference is that those leagues have their own mechanics that may be different to standard league.

Usually those new leagues introduce changes that have big probability being standard feature in normal game like rogue exiles.

Cool cool, I like ladder in D2 because everyone's items reset, making things valuable once again. Since domination started 3 days ago I may start a new character on that.

Zeth

Perkel - you can add me to the guild post if you want - unless that was unintentional, lol!

Steam: Zethca | Character: Zethline

Perkel

Banned
Cool cool, I like ladder in D2 because everyone's items reset, making things valuable once again. Since domination started 3 days ago I may start a new character on that.

imo best thing about is economy reset. When you will find cool item it will be cool instead of meh.

Can I ask why? Early on your character's accuracy should be low (that is by design) so you will be missing a lot. That is what many people often mistake for janky gameplay (not saying it is your case), but obviously as your character grows in levels it will become tighter.

As for when the game "clicks" that depends on your build and playstyle. Some shine early, other abilities don't shine as much until you put a couple of support gems on them (eg. spectral throw), have the endurance charges to support them (eg. Flicker Strike), have the auras to complement your character, or hit certain keystones in your tree (eg. resolute technique) that make your build feel like you want it. PoE is not a game that clicks instantly, it is based on repetition and experimentation, and ultimately, about your build hitting endgame.

The characters and animation are very stiff. They lack a certain fluidity and responsiveness. There's little to no feedback on your skills - they're very "plinky".

Maybe it's better later sure, but if you can't get me to sit through more than an hour or two with a compelling introduction, then it doesn't matter how good the replayability is.

And subjective, but I'm still not the biggest fan of the graphics. They take a more realistic approach, but it looks like everything is covered in a plasticky veneer.

That's the concise answer without mentioning everything that bothers me.

I'll try and put some more time in, but I don't know how long I'll last.

Rufus

When it comes to putting together a build do you just pick a weapon or skill or what have you and then try and shape your passives to suit?
That is my approach. There are a bunch of things to watch out for, but the most important synergies are fairly obvious if you take the descriptions literally. When something says "attack speed" it really only refers to "attacks", as opposed to "spells" (which is part of the skill descriptions) and so on.

Here's a compilation of a lot of links to useful information:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1p1oou/can_we_please_put_together_a_list_of_the_latest/

If you don't want to read/skim that stuff, I would suggest to look go with a play-style you like (melee, ranged, caster, summoner, or whatever combinations thereof), pick appropriate skills that look fun and then just go look at the passive tree for a bit, especially around the starting areas. A Witch is typically going to be the most efficient/easiest summoner build, Rangers are usually the "best" archers, etc.

Not everything in this game is intuitive, but if you take the time to look closely at all the information it provides you can figure out a lot of things for yourself. The rest you'll learn as you play, but I'm sure the more experienced players here will help you out. even global chat can be helpful.

Does it work with a bow?
Nope, the skill description specifically states melee weapons. A bow already throws projectiles, and throwing the bow isn't going to do much good now, is it? :p But, since it is a projectile, projectile damage passives will buff its damage. Something to keep in mind.

To answer the remaining question: They last 4 months.

After they conclude surviving Nemesis characters are moved to Hardcore and Domination characters are moved to Standard.

The characters and animation are very stiff. They lack a certain fluidity and responsiveness. There's little to no feedback on your skills - they're very "plinky".

Maybe it's better later sure, but if you can't get me to sit through more than an hour or two with a compelling introduction, then it doesn't matter how good the replayability is.

And subjective, but I'm still not the biggest fan of the graphics. They take a more realistic approach, but it looks like everything is covered in a plasticky veneer.

That's the concise answer without mentioning everything that bothers me.

I'll try and put some more time in, but I don't know how long I'll last.
I've very likely put (significantly) more than 200 hours into this game. I don't know if you should "call it" after 2 hours already, but I understand where you're coming from.

I agree that the animations and "feel" need more work. Currently you have to crit or use specific skills to get something approaching D3 levels of impact and visually communicated power, like freezing and subsequently shattering a bunch of mobs at once or causing a chain explosion with Infernal Blow + Melee Splash.
That said, they have been improving the animation in the open beta, I imagine they'll continue to where necessary, but I care less and less. Same with the visuals. Needless to say I'm hooked.

I only care about these things insofar as they impact the longevity of the game, but as sad as I would be if the game disappeared into the ether I'll leave it up to GGG to worry about that. They've been working on this game for years and haven't given up yet. We'll see how far they can take it.

Volodja

Lost my Ground Slam Marauder to Caliga.

I didn't even have time to flee, went from 100% to dead in like one second and a half and that's with a character that was just flattening everything without ever really taking much damage at all.

KKRT00

Lost my Ground Slam Marauder to Caliga.

I didn't even have time to flee, went from 100% to dead in like one second and a half and that's with a character that was just flattening everything without ever really taking much damage at all.

Yeah, he's going to get nerfed in next patch :)

Complete beginner here, wondering what's a good Shadow build, a summoner witch is also something I want to try out. Whatever's easier I'll go with.

Still having this crash on startup. Literally the only game that does this.

Really wanted to try this out.

Check/update drivers, uninstall/reinstall game? This isn't the most technically complex game, so it might be a corrupted file or two holding you back.

Card Boy

Banned
I asked this months ago and i forgot the answer. If your a blood magic character and you have reduced mana cost or reduced mana reserved does it mean the skills end up using less health?

KKRT00

I asked this months ago and i forgot the answer. If your a blood magic character and you have reduced mana cost or reduced mana reserved does it mean the skills end up using less health?

Yes.

=======

Guys send invite guild request to me on PM on gaf. Its easier for me to manage and remember :)
I need only character name [not account]

Kammie

Started playing this weekend and I'm currently on level 18 or so.

I have to ask, but does the loot in any way become exciting in this? From what I've seen so far there's just orbs and shards, and TONS of trash gear that isn't even worth selling off in any way. I haven't seen anything to indicate that there may be some sort of crafting either.

I've never played a loot game before, but I don't know, it just seems disappointing that I can't even pick up and sell the trash I don't need, since there's so much of it and I have no inventory space. I'll just grab an item or two from a boss at most, and that's it... and I'm not finding that compelling in the slightest so far.

Uthred

Map and combat "feel" i could agree but UI ? Art ? Armor design ? UI is one of better UIs i saw in games.

I'd like the UI to have more customisation but at a basic level its fairly similar to others in the genre, I think the biggest failing of the UI is the chat interface which is almost laughably bad.

Beepos

Started playing this weekend and I'm currently on level 18 or so.

I have to ask, but does the loot in any way become exciting in this? From what I've seen so far there's just orbs and shards, and TONS of trash gear that isn't even worth selling off in any way. I haven't seen anything to indicate that there may be some sort of crafting either.

I've never played a loot game before, but I don't know, it just seems disappointing that I can't even pick up and sell the trash I don't need, since there's so much of it and I have no inventory space. I'll just grab an item or two from a boss at most, and that's it... and I'm not finding that compelling in the slightest so far.

That's how I've felt with PoE. With no 'skills' with a class it just seems bla.

TheSeks

Lootgames aren't for you then. Since that's how the whole lootwhore genre is.

Though picking up the items and selling them is kinda worth the currency in town portals and identify scrolls for later buying at stores since there is no gold in this game.

Kammie

Lootgames aren't for you then. Since that's how the whole lootwhore genre is.

Though picking up the items and selling them is kinda worth the currency in town portals and identify scrolls for later buying at stores since there is no gold in this game.
It's not my getting just one or two items from a boss that's disappointing, it's just the fact that it's the only thing worth getting in like an hour of playtime.

How do you guys generally play? Do you run around till you kill a boss and then port back to town to get rid of stuff, or will you port back to town with a full inventory a few times during every quest?

Just not too sure how I should be playing this, if I should be concentrating on selling or not.

It's not my getting just one or two items from a boss that's disappointing, it's just the fact that it's the only thing worth getting in like an hour of playtime.

How do you guys generally play? Do you run around till you kill a boss and then port back to town to get rid of stuff, or will you port back to town with a full inventory a few times during every quest?

Just not too sure how I should be playing this, if I should be concentrating on selling or not.

I only pick up Rare items (yellow) and Unique items (orange). Once my inventory is full I identify everything, portal back to town, and store it all away. Occasionally I pick up Magic items (blue) if they're good but I usually ignore them. I don't sell very often, just stuff I may have accidentally picked up.

Also, try and equip items that have a modifier that increases your chances of getting a rare drop. I've got a 40-something increase and am always finding Rare items and have found three Unique items so far.

It's worth running back and forth to sell armloads of whites only very early on, when you don't have a stockpile of Scrolls of Wisdom and may only have 1 or 2 Portal Scrolls, if any. Past the opening stages, you'll start to notice both scroll types dropping more often from enemies, and that should be enough to keep you solvent. But I always collect a full inventory of stuff off the ground if I know I'm going to be taking a portal or waypoint back to town anyway.

Kammie

It's worth running back and forth to sell armloads of whites only very early on, when you don't have a stockpile of Scrolls of Wisdom and may only have 1 or 2 Portal Scrolls, if any. Past the opening stages, you'll start to notice both scroll types dropping more often from enemies, and that should be enough to keep you solvent. But I always collect a full inventory of stuff off the ground if I know I'm going to be taking a portal or waypoint back to town anyway.
Yeah, I've noticed I'm getting a lot more scrolls now. So I guess the whites are not worth it then.

I only pick up Rare items (yellow) and Unique items (orange). Once my inventory is full I identify everything, portal back to town, and store it all away. Occasionally I pick up Magic items (blue) if they're good but I usually ignore them. I don't sell very often, just stuff I may have accidentally picked up.

Also, try and equip items that have a modifier that increases your chances of getting a rare drop. I've got a 40-something increase and am always finding Rare items and have found three Unique items so far.
What purpose does keeping all the rares and uniques have? Are they for alts, or is there something else you can do with them?

What purpose does keeping all the rares and uniques have? Are they for alts, or is there something else you can do with them?

You could possibly trade the ones you don't want for something you do want or save them for an alt. Personally, I'm saving some for alts and I'm going to put a bunch of them in the guild stash once I get in.

Check/update drivers, uninstall/reinstall game? This isn't the most technically complex game, so it might be a corrupted file or two holding you back.

I ran the verify cache and ran the pak examiner inside the folder. Installed latest drivers and also ran the directx inside the game folder.

No luck :(

Sciz

The orbs and shards are the crafting system. You aren't going to see most of the important ones at that level, but you should be getting enough blues to be able to experiment with transmutation and alteration orbs and see how it works.

White gear is mostly clutter, but grabbing the ones that take up 1-3 squares isn't a bad way to get a few extra scrolls. What you can also do is hang on to superior grade items and trade them in for currency, which you can either use or vendor for more scrolls. Later in the game a white piece with well-rolled sockets can be valuable as a crafting base in its own right.

After playing awhile it seems like just collecting mats and finding gear with ideal sockets + link and upgrading it is the way to go rather than waiting for something worthwhile to drop.

Kammie

The orbs and shards are the crafting system. You aren't going to see most of the important ones at that level, but you should be getting enough blues to be able to experiment with transmutation and alteration orbs and see how it works.

White gear is mostly clutter, but grabbing the ones that take up 1-3 squares isn't a bad way to get a few extra scrolls. What you can also do is hang on to superior grade items and trade them in for currency, which you can either use or vendor for more scrolls. Later in the game a white piece with well-rolled sockets can be valuable as a crafting base in its own right.
Yeah, I've messed around a bit with transmutation/augmentation/alteration orbs, and have some nice gear. And I didn't know until just now that you could also use items to alter the sockets.

The vendor recipe system seems interesting. Would anyone even be aware of how it exists without a guide, though?? Seems so complicated and arbitrary.

TheSeks

It's not really complicated. PoE wants you to experiment. That means use the items on white or higher items and see what happens. Once you know you get something out of something you then start to learn to do that to get more of that for this to get that...

inky

Having to reclaim and reuse my wep effect if I want to switch to another character or get a new weapon is such a bummer. Why can it just be applied unlimited times, and be lost on trade, etc.

Map and combat "feel" i could agree but UI ? Art ? Armor design ? UI is one of better UIs i saw in games. Art is naturally subjective but PoE does have ton of good art in it especially for gothic atmosphere lovers and armor design is something i completely do not agree but this may be subjective.

Armors and weapon design in D3 are essentially WOW crap. Meaning over-sized shit that doesn't look like a weapon but more like chritmas tree. Same with armors.

D3 imo does have better combat "feel" because it uses havoc like Titan Quest and feel of that game is essentially the same as D3. D3 combat also does "feel" better because there is no malee class than works as melee. In D3 monk or barbarian are essentially melee casters that uses ton of AoE skills instead of single target melee attacks.

This is also the reason why D3 character progression feel so bad on comparison to PoE. Because from start in D3 you are god and even in end game basically feel doesn't change at all. In PoE because starting characters are slow and they attack slow and cast shitty spells progression feel much different.

I love the layout of potions for instance, but a lot of the in-game menus and chat functions are just ugly and outdated IMO.

Art wise I think PoE has great environments, but the armor is just ugly. Sure you can argue the game is quite dark, and as exiles you throw whatever gear you find on. But even higher level gear doesn't look as good as I would hope or expect. I played Barb in D3 and looked quite badass for much of the game. I agree the art is very WoW and cartoony, but much of the armor design was solid.

I'd disagree on melee in D3: the Barbarian is quite melee based. Bash/Cleave/Frenzy/etc were all pretty basic melee attacks, they're in PoE. Then you have stuff like Seismic Slam, which is similar to Ground Slam in PoE; I'd consider both to be melee.

Top Bottom