• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Rufus

this doesn't mean that it isn't a problem when it clearly is. I had plenty if experiences where my attacks didn't seem to hit, enemies teleport, and even I teleported into a group of enemies
Yeah, I notice desyncing enemies way more than I have desync issues with my character now. A lonely skeleton walking towards me and bumping into me, but not doing anything, that sort of thing. I haven't resynced into a group of enemies in a while, but I think that has more to do with me not trying to run through them any more.

I'll have to pay attention to this again when the next race season starts, because trying to go as fast as possible usually exacerbates it.

Welp, sweep Templar dead already. That didn't take long.

Any recommendable fun builds guys? Preferably for Nemesis.
I'm really enjoying Spectral Throw. You can start as Ranger, Duelist or Scion, I don't think it matters all that much.

RIP ;\

http://i.minus.com/iA6zI1U2zFTfV.jpg

This motherfucker. Piety was a joke, i dont think i've ever got below half health with her. Oh i had 70% lightning ;\
The Lightning Trap guy, right? He was terrifying. I don't know what it is, but all his traps go off at once, wether you trigger one or not. Fills the entire room with lightning. Really scary.

what instance is trap master btw?
Last area before the final boss in act 3, not sure what level. You have time to worry about him until then.

Leap slam shadow died. :( Remaking. I got faceroll'd by the lightning trap boss. My own fault (obviously) I ran into the room blind and didn't put up my lightning res. :x Got way too overconfident.

"It's only normal mode!"

I have a problem with minimizing out side of town and dying! I've already lost two nemesis characters to that stupid shit! I'm an idiot!

Decado

What is the best ranged weapon for a strength based marauder? Essentially what has the lowest dex requirements .

tci

What is the best ranged weapon for a strength based marauder? Essentially what has the lowest dex requirements .
Ranged weapons are either dexterity or intelligent. But if you go for spectral throw which require a bit dext. you can use your melee weapon as ranged.

Then you can also go for the Iron Grip passive that gives you physical melee and projectile dmg from your strenght points.

I have it on my scion, and it works. Don't know how valid it is late game though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say 6/10 is fair, 7/10 at a stretch. I've played the game on and off since closed beta and it has grown a lot but it still has issues that prevent it moving into the "great" realm (IMO).

My list of issues:

Desync - You can't hide from it, and it always seems to kick in at the worst time.

Sporadic frame rate - It will jump from 50 to 60 to 70 just standing still. Plus the FPS gets really low when you're in a full party of high levels with all the support gems active. Compared to Diablo III where I don't drop a frame ever even in a full party. They've improved certain spells over the course of the beta to not be so laggy but the entire game feels like it needs optimization.

The map - It's just God awful ugly, it really is. Half the time you can't even see if the terrain is passable. It needs to be completely reworked.

Art - The items just look bland and boring, my level 76 doesn't look much different to my level 20. I had to buy a weapon glow just to spice my character up a little. I like the art style, but not the actual art. I want it to be dark and gritty, but I don't want to look like a level 10 forever.

Even with these issues the game still has a lot to offer and that's why I'm playing it. Of all my issues I only ever expect one to be fixed (the map) so that's a little disheartening, but there's not much I can do about it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say 6/10 is fair, 7/10 at a stretch. I've played the game on and off since closed beta and it has grown a lot but it still has issues that prevent it moving into the "great" realm (IMO).

My list of issues:

Desync - You can't hide from it, and it always seems to kick in at the worst time.

Sporadic frame rate - It will jump from 50 to 60 to 70 just standing still. Plus the FPS gets really low when you're in a full party of high levels with all the support gems active. Compared to Diablo III where I don't drop a frame ever even in a full party. They've improved certain spells over the course of the beta to not be so laggy but the entire game feels like it needs optimization.

The map - It's just God awful ugly, it really is. Half the time you can't even see if the terrain is passable. It needs to be completely reworked.

Art - The items just look bland and boring, my level 76 doesn't look much different to my level 20. I had to buy a weapon glow just to spice my character up a little. I like the art style, but not the actual art. I want it to be dark and gritty, but I don't want to look like a level 10 forever.

Even with these issues the game still has a lot to offer and that's why I'm playing it. Of all my issues I only ever expect one to be fixed (the map) so that's a little disheartening, but there's not much I can do about it.
At the end of the day, there is a lot more depth and variety here than D3. I hate relying on items to progress and while PoE has this to some extend, you can offset your items to a degree by making them yourself and choosing the right skills.

tci

My list of issues:
That seems like really minor issues. I agree on the de-sync. But that's really the only complaint I have with the game.

My list of issues:

The only issue I agree and can comment is with desync but at least it seem to be reduced from the time I played the beta.
I can't comment about framerate drops because I'm playing in a laptop with integrated graphics card and I still don't have a high level character to have an opinion about the look.

Regarding the map, it's indeed ugly but it doesn't bother me and personally I didn't have any problem using it to navigate through the dungeons.

Syril

Is it worth getting the +10 life on kill nodes as a maurauder? It seems like they would lose their usefulness further into the game being just a flat number instead of a percentage.

KKRT00

what? +%Life nodes increas the on kill effects? That would be new for me. If this s true it must be the same for life on hit and that would be OP xD

BurnOutBrighter miss read :)

---
Is it worth getting the +10 life on kill nodes as a maurauder? It seems like they would lose their usefulness further into the game being just a flat number instead of a percentage.

Its useless node.

RS4-

My issues with the game so far
Desync - apparently some skills cause it more than others, which is a bad thing for my cyclone and dying or close to in the middle of a huge mob.

Map - yeah it reminds me of d2, but a little more confusing with passable terrain in tight areas.

Misc things - hitting enemies don't feel as good as it does in d3.

Everything else, for the most part I like; being able to experiment with various skills and combinations as long as you meet the requirements without penalty. The huge skill tree, and skill linking/leveling up. The amount of various gems and different flasks.

I played a fair bit of d3, but doing things in that felt like a chore. The lousy loot drops, the ah. And I guess it felt like there wasn't much variety in play styles because you're sort of tied to using certain skills because they're that good.

spirity

I agree with the poor map overlay. I've gotten used to it, and it doesn't bother me so much, but that doesn't change the fact that its at least initially confusing. Definitely needs finessing, and I don't know why they haven't got around to that yet.

The desync too is an ongoing issue I dislike, and one GGG have been working on but I don't think they'll ever stamp it out. Pretty infuriating when you come unstuck due to no fault of your own.

Those issues aside, I'd be quite happy to give this game a 9/10. There's some great little features here like the flasks, map system, the configurability of the skill gems and their synergy with the itemisation, the art direction and mood (it gets really dark here towards the end with piles of bodies and blood curdling screams).

I've been playing it for around a year now, and just when I think I know this game, out comes new leagues, new skills, new acts, and new challenges. Its fucking fantastic, and I have to say this now: its better than Diablo 2. This is the new arpg king.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Whoever put the mana regen necklace in the guild stash: I love you. Sucker makes summoning things trival now because it's regenning mana faster than I can throw it out... for now...

Put a few albit crap items in the stash in hopes someone lower needs them. If not, I guess someone can sell them so they aren't taking space. It seems guild stash space isn't too big. :/

At the end of the day, there is a lot more depth and variety here than D3. I hate relying on items to progress and while PoE has this to some extend, you can offset your items to a degree by making them yourself and choosing the right skills.
There are many areas in which D3 is better though, let's be real. I love PoE but I do feel like the ugly presentation will ultimately hold it back. From the map to the cumbersome UI and frame rate issues, and the armor design. And in terms of control and overall "feel" Blizzard wins, but that's the difference between a major title and a F2P game.

It trumps D3 in variety but to be honest D3 is barely in the same genre; D3 is almost entirely an action game, and while it plays awesomely it's quite boring due to that lack of variety.

Basically if you mixed PoE's depth with D3's controls/feel/polish you'd have the greatest thing ever. And I feel like Blizzard is closer to making that than GGG simply due to being Blizzard; the D3 expansion pretty much fixes most of the game's problems, all that's left is a decent level of customization depth. The frustrating thing about PoE is that there are plenty of glaring issues that haven't been addressed as the team focuses on new vanity items.

Perkel

Banned
I think better question is what is opposite of Their system and lack of Desync.

Dsync isn't created because of engine problems but because there is shit ton more information going on screen than in almost any hack and slash including D3 and it is reason why PoE is so amazing in mechanics. To fix dsync you need to remove layer of mechanics or to have ton of servers near players.

They naturally improved it a lot but they won't be able to fix it because it is problem generally with online games and how little we can move from one PC to other without any serious lag.

But that problem is not really PoE problem. It is problem of all online games. PoE problem is because how mechanics work you can easly die in split second where in most online games you have safe buffer of mechanics that will save you even if you dsync. This is especially important for PoE because ton of people play Hardcore.

I played at start D3 and rubber-banding was same or even worse than PoE at times combined with constantly 150ms ping.
Hell even D2 lag and dsync was noticeable and wasn't that much different to PoE.

As i said it is mainly problem because PoE is unforgiving when it comes to combat not that game itself is laggy or prone to dsync. So every dsync counts in PoE because every dsync can mean death.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Whoever put the mana regen necklace in the guild stash: I love you. Sucker makes summoning things trival now because it's regenning mana faster than I can throw it out... for now...

Put a few albit crap items in the stash in hopes someone lower needs them. If not, I guess someone can sell them so they aren't taking space. It seems guild stash space isn't too big. :/

I put an unique head for mages too. Feel free to take out if you need

Perkel

Banned
There are many areas in which D3 is better though, let's be real. I love PoE but I do feel like the ugly presentation will ultimately hold it back. From the map to the cumbersome UI and frame rate issues, and the armor design. And in terms of control and overall "feel" Blizzard wins, but that's the difference between a major title and a F2P game.

Map and combat "feel" i could agree but UI ? Art ? Armor design ? UI is one of better UIs i saw in games. Art is naturally subjective but PoE does have ton of good art in it especially for gothic atmosphere lovers and armor design is something i completely do not agree but this may be subjective.

Armors and weapon design in D3 are essentially WOW crap. Meaning over-sized shit that doesn't look like a weapon but more like chritmas tree. Same with armors.

D3 imo does have better combat "feel" because it uses havoc like Titan Quest and feel of that game is essentially the same as D3. D3 combat also does "feel" better because there is no malee class than works as melee. In D3 monk or barbarian are essentially melee casters that uses ton of AoE skills instead of single target melee attacks.

This is also the reason why D3 character progression feel so bad on comparison to PoE. Because from start in D3 you are god and even in end game basically feel doesn't change at all. In PoE because starting characters are slow and they attack slow and cast shitty spells progression feel much different.

Rufus

Dsync isn't created because of engine problems but because there is shit ton more information going on screen than in almost any hack and slash including D3 and it is reason why PoE is so amazing in mechanics. To fix dsync you need to remove layer of mechanics or to have ton of servers near players.
Or calculate those things client-side, which they're obviously not going to do for other reasons.

meep!

Neo Member
Liking the game so far, fun gameplay and alot of depth. Biggeat issue so far is that I haven't seen any good looking armor or weapons. Not expecting to have awesome stuff at low level but cant find any pictures or antthing of it.
Kinda defeat the purpose looking like a hobo through the whole game in a loot-based game.

And whats up with my marauder running around without pants?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

That's how I feel. I think people ignore just how well polished Diablo III is, yes it was a disappointment in the start but it has improved greatly since then, plus RoS seems to fix most (if not all) the major issues with the game. The artists at Blizzard are just in another league, while I do wish the art style was a lot darker their work is top notch. The devs have promised a darker look in RoS as well, which is exciting.

I have put countless hours into PoE and I've spent about £50 on the game to show my support but I really can't see myself playing it when RoS is released. GGG just can't compete with Blizzard and PoE doesn't do enough better than Diablo III to ignore the budget feel it has. As you said, one is an AAA title and one is F2P, and it's very apparent which is which. PoE does cater to a niche "hardcore" crowd though, so I'm sure the game will continue to improve for years to come.

I know some people will completely disagree with me, and that's perfectly fine but this is my opinion. I find it very hard to look past the budget exterior and performance issues, which IMO will never be fixed. That being said I will be booting up PoE later and working on my Scion, hopefully I will finally get some drops so I can sort my gems out.

KKRT00

I think people ignore just how well polished Diablo III is

I could swallow Your complaining till now.

You're arguments against PoE were:
Desync - its in Diablo 3 in the same manner
Framerate drops - Diablo 3 drops framerate and stutters constantly and it wasnt fixed, when PoE on my machine [although my PC is quite good], have no performance problems [till maybe 6 player parties and tons of enemies]
Map - i dont have really problem with it, but i can see it as a problem. But Diablo 3 has very straight forward levels, so even without a map You cant get lost, so not really comparable
Hitting things - no aim assists and accuracy based combat does it for You, its not really avoidable, without changing those. But its game design, not polish, same goes for slower animations and lack of canceling like in D3, its design decision, which i dont like as much, especially where castings interrupts action and in D3 not, although trigger gems helps with that, but thats pure design decision.

inky

The artists at Blizzard are just in another league

Yeah... no. Some enemy and especially armor and item (shields, for example) design in D3 is pretty terrible. On this topic, many of the items in the game don't look differently than low level versions either so many of your complaints can be levied against D3 just as well. There's a reason people have requested transmogrification a lot.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I could swallow Your complaining till now.

That's big of you. And I'm not complaining, I'm posting my thoughts. If reading anything negative about the game upsets you, feel free to ignore me.

Is there a certain point where the game starts to click? Downloaded the Steam version the other day and played for an hour today. Still pretty much as janky as it was when the open beta started. Combat doesn't feel right at all and that's the major deal-breaker for me, even if other systems are good.

spirity

Is there a certain point where the game starts to click?

Thats a uniquely personal thing. I don't think anyone can answer that for you. Some people have said it starts to fall into place for them around the start of act 2 when you get mov speed boots and support gems but everyones different. You could try playing until then I guess and see how you feel.

I will say that if you place combat above mechanics and loot, then Diablo 3 is perhaps a better fit for you. There is a far heavier focus on builds, skills and manipulating mechanics in PoE than there is on combat. Although PoE and D3 are both arpgs, when you scratch the surface they're quite different beasts, with different takes on what a Diablo game should be.

inky

Combat doesn't feel right at all and that's the major deal-breaker for me, even if other systems are good.

Can I ask why? Early on your character's accuracy should be low (that is by design) so you will be missing a lot. That is what many people often mistake for janky gameplay (not saying it is your case), but obviously as your character grows in levels it will become tighter.

As for when the game "clicks" that depends on your build and playstyle. Some shine early, other abilities don't shine as much until you put a couple of support gems on them (eg. spectral throw), have the endurance charges to support them (eg. Flicker Strike), have the auras to complement your character, or hit certain keystones in your tree (eg. resolute technique) that make your build feel like you want it. PoE is not a game that clicks instantly, it is based on repetition and experimentation, and ultimately, about your build hitting endgame.

Syril

Is there a certain point where the game starts to click? Downloaded the Steam version the other day and played for an hour today. Still pretty much as janky as it was when the open beta started. Combat doesn't feel right at all and that's the major deal-breaker for me, even if other systems are good.

Playing a marauder it started to click pretty quickly for me when I got a bunch of different area attacks close to the beginning, though I got way more into it when I reached the skill that gave perfect accuracy in exchange for no critical hits because I'm the kind of person who thinks that miss chances in realtime games should die in a fire.

Nibiru

Banned
That's how I feel. I think people ignore just how well polished Diablo III is, yes it was a disappointment in the start but it has improved greatly since then, plus RoS seems to fix most (if not all) the major issues with the game.

This is a joke right? Polished? How hard is it to polish a shallow game? When there is no depth to the game whatsoever that leaves plenty of time to handle surface stuff. Not to mention this is Blizzard we are talking about and even they couldn't handle anything but the combat and graphics which are great for one playthrough but with crappy loot and itemization there is no replay value as these are principally loot hunt games.

Let's be honest they "reassigned" the lead game designer and have spent the better part of the games life apologizing. You say it is much better now but it isn't at all the patches since launch have been paltry at best.

I am excited about loot 2.0 and the expansion and will play the shit out of it but just stop with "it's much better now" because the patches since launch have just made it slightly less disastrous.

As for the graphics well that is a matter of taste I like the realistic grimy look as opposed to the cartoony D3.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I am excited about loot 2.0 and the expansion and will play the shit out of it but just stop with "it's much better now" because the patches since launch have just made it slightly less disastrous.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because I feel the game has improved a lot since release.

Uthred

Just wondering if there are any good beginners overviews out there, nearly finished act 2 and feeling a bit lost in terms of what I should be aiming for (lack of full respec doesnt help with this, and is an unfortuante artifact I think they'd be better without). The official forums have plenty of builds but every single one is a sea of semi-imcomprehensible acronyms. When it comes to putting together a build do you just pick a weapon or skill or what have you and then try and shape your passives to suit?

spirity

We'll have to agree to disagree, because I feel the game has improved a lot since release.

It has improved, but its nowhere near where it needs to be in the time frame its had. And the loot for the most part is dull and uninspired.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It has improved, but its nowhere near where it needs to be in the time frame its had. And the loot for the most part is dull and uninspired.

I can agree with that, the loot situation is depressing. RoS should fix it, but until then I'm taking a break from the game.

KPJZKC

How many people are there in the Gaf Guild? I'm debating leaving the (well established) one I'm in to join my people, but would like to know if it's at all active (unlike 99% of all other GAF game groups :v) first.

spirity

I can agree with that, the loot situation is depressing. RoS should fix it, but until then I'm taking a break from the game.

The good thing is they know where they've gone wrong and they're intent on making it right. Me and D3 are done, when I'm done with a game thats it I don't go back. But the IP isn't done, and 1 year ago I couldn't say that. I'm looking forward to D4.

Deadly

Combat at the start is slower because of missing and whatsoever. Later on it can be like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FAxtdm7P30&feature=youtu.be

So I logged on for the first time since 1.0 and my witch has 85 passive skill points to use! Anyone have any good resources or builds I can follow. I don't want to screw up :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Put in a Large Life Flask and Medium Mana Flask in the guild stash. If you're just starting out these will be GDLK for you.

Gonna take a break. I need to do that White Beast quest and then continue on in Act 2. But man... joining public parties is a foolish thing, they either Rush or are doing 20 different quests instead of focusing on one at a time. :/

Getting back into the game (returned to softcore mode because I am introducing my nephew to the game).

Looking for a guild invite. Character name ToasttoaJobWellDone

Top Bottom