• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

manhack

Good news is there is a ton of people playing now (over 34,000 on steam alone).

Bad news is getting kicked into server queues

Card Boy

Banned
portal_zps2a52bcef.jpg

I got one of these. Cast time is very slow though, you need like a quality 20% to get the same cast time as a regular scroll. Its worth abit i believe.

Atruvius

Oh man, I hope I get lucky and get one of those. Do those work like regular portal scrolls as in you can go back to the area you portaled from?

I'm at the Dominus fight on normal with my lvl 36 ranger and he just murders me. I need to get some better gear and level up. Or posse.

RS4-

Shit, I might need someone to help me get the waypoint at uhh, marketplace? on cruel.

If you can tp there then put up a scroll, that'd be much appreciated!

Ketch

What do you guys think of this skill build? Vaal Pact/CI Duelist

I plan on using Blood Rage, Reave, and Frenzy to build charges and then Blad whirl (or some other teleport) and discharge to blow dudes up.

In passives I'm focusing on duel wielding claws with atk speed, accuracy, and crit for offense. Avoidance, energy shield, and life/mana drain for defense.

For keystones I'm getting ondar's guile, ghost reaver, chaos innoculation, and vaal pact. (obviously CI and VP are super late game)

Some things I wasn't sure about: Is acrobatics any good? How does the chance to dodge attacks worth with avoidance? Seems like it could be good especially if you went all the way and got 30% chance to dodge spells. My idea is that it with a ton of avoidance, ondar's guile, and acrobatics, maybe my energy shield could recharge between hits because I'm dodging so much (plus it's filling up with ghost reaver).

Also, Master of the Arena (+2 melee weapon range) and leather and steel (ignore all movement penalties from armor). Those sound very unique and possibly a big deal, but I'm really not sure if they're worth it... I could put those 4 points into more crit chance or resist or something... I just don't know.

Perkel

Banned
I cannot, for the life of me, get this game to start properly. Just stays at the initial loading screen. This a problem for anyone else?

Leave it on this screen for a while.

If you have older HDD it can take a while to load.

On my HDD i used to load in like 2 minutes. Now on SSD it is more like 14 seconds.

V_Arnold

Also, Master of the Arena (+2 melee weapon range) and leather and steel (ignore all movement penalties from armor). Those sound very unique and possibly a big deal, but I'm really not sure if they're worth it... I could put those 4 points into more crit chance or resist or something... I just don't know.

You do not know? How come? You wrote it yourself: they are a big deal, and worth absolutely more than 2 point value of crit chances/dex nodes/raw dmg. Both makes you more effective and make your character more fun to play, so...yeah, pick them up.

Ketch

You do not know? How come? You wrote it yourself: they are a big deal, and worth absolutely more than 2 point value of crit chances/dex nodes/raw dmg. Both makes you more effective and make your character more fun to play, so...yeah, pick them up.

Yea, I just wasn't sure because I don't know how far "+2 melee range" is or how much of a movement penalty you get from armor.

KKRT00

Valve has said that usually concurrent stands for 10-20% of the different people that connect each day as well, so the game is doing great numbers =)

Yeah, EVE Online has 8-10x active accounts to number of concurrent users in peak. So Valve's statement is definitely true.

Kammie

Deciding on a build before starting is required if you want to be able to reach a high level.

Planning a character is a big part of PoE but if it's your first time playing the game it can be quite hard to plan far ahead. I would suggest on deciding upon a class, style of play (ranged, melee, caster, tank?) and then taking a look on the tree and making some build around 40-50 points which you think would be sensible. You can then show it to us and get some constructive feedback OR you can go on and play it on your own :) Second option is much more fun IMHO :)
How viable is it to use Orbs of Regret to change your build? Are they somewhat easy to get or is it something you have to farm for?

Gothos

How viable is it to use Orbs of Regret to change your build? Are they somewhat easy to get or is it something you have to farm for?

They are useful if you wanna refund smaller number of spent points because they are not that common. Don't expect to hit level 60 and have 60 Regrets to use them for full respec - you'll probably have around 10, maybe 15 by then.

Also, new unique:
PfUcWTa.png

Lovely art, imho.

KKRT00

They are useful if you wanna refund smaller number of spent points because they are not that common. Don't expect to hit level 60 and have 60 Regrets to use them for full respec - you'll probably have around 10, maybe 15 by then.

Also, new unique:
PfUcWTa.png

Lovely art, imho.

Thats so OP.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Took the animate weapon skill from the guild stash and it isn't as impressive as I thought it'd be. Weapons seem to dematerialize after a short distance or they're just as squishy as the summons I already have. Ugh. :/

I still gotta complete act 2 but I want to get the Waypoints in it but people just rush through areas it pisses me off.

garath

Good news is there is a ton of people playing now (over 34,000 on steam alone).

Bad news is getting kicked into server queues

34k! Nice. Glad the game is doing well :)

thats only the steam client.

On launch day the non steam client had 24k while steam had 13k (posted from Chris Wilson @ reddit) . More people use the non steam client, maybe not on GAF but overall yes.

On launch day I couldn't even launch the game through steam. Kept timing out. I suspect over time it will start to favor steam.

Card Boy

Banned

Also, new unique:
PfUcWTa.png

Lovely art, imho.

Nice! I take its imperfect too since its only 8% magic resist instead of 12% like normal Prismatic Rings?

Zeth

Nice! I take its imperfect too since its only 8% magic resist instead of 12% like normal Prismatic Rings?

Yep - prismatic base value is 8-12. Needs a Blessed or two. Also the unique modifiers are likely imperfect assuming it has one or more variable modifier.

inky

What do you guys think about this build:

LINK

It is a 2H sword, Cleave, Double Strike Ranger. It has a good amount of AS and can even progress to blood magic, but that is relatively far away.

Card Boy

Banned
Its embarrassing what they did to Facebreaker, when it launched it was like 1000-1200%, then i was 800 to 1000% now its like 600 to 800%. For some reason my exisiting Facebreaker is like 874% and hasn't being nerfed yet.

JoeMartin

Its embarrassing what they did to Facebreaker, when it launched it was like 1000-1200%, then i was 800 to 1000% now its like 600 to 800%. For some reason my exisiting Facebreaker is like 874% and hasn't being nerfed yet.

GGG have always grandfathered legacy items after significant EDIT:nerfs. 4L original facebreakers are obscenely expensive, though.

EDIT2: Keep in mind, for those of you posting builds, that in order to get to 120 passive points you'll literally have to hit level 100 (which only five people have done to date) in addition to
killing all three bandits in all three difficulties, which is generally not recommended since you'd have to be dumb to pass up 40 base life in normal or your applicable bonus in cruel.
For the purposes of evaluating a 'true' endgame build try to limit yourself to 80ish points.

Kammie

Ok, so how does this ranger setup look?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...-n8s6UjJ-TZJ07XrvYEsFLcRYJ9Vv8jnUoJ8k_edU1QA=

I saw some videos of people that had mana disabled and had skills consume HP instead (and they'd carry like four HP flasks). It seemed like a neat and easier way to manage things. I tried to hit up any HP or HP Regen nodes on the way. I also did the Frenzy nodes since it seems like a handy skill for spamming quickly.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if I should be doing anything else offensively on the tree. Or do I leave all of that work for the gear/crystals? Also, it currently says 29 points left. What is that, around level 70?

Also, is there any site with good (and tested) builds?

And if I use a Regret orb, I can only delete nodes that are at the end of a path, right? I've seen some builds out there that make it look like they removed nodes from the middle (like if you have nodes A B C D F, C and D are missing), but that has to be some sort of glitch on the tree viewer, right?

Thanks for the help.

Card Boy

Banned
GGG have always grandfathered legacy items after significant EDIT:nerfs. 4L original facebreakers are obscenely expensive, though.

EDIT2: Keep in mind, for those of you posting builds, that in order to get to 120 passive points you'll literally have to hit level 100 (which only five people have done to date) in addition to
killing all three bandits in all three difficulties, which is generally not recommended since you'd have to be dumb to pass up 40 base life in normal or your applicable bonus in cruel.
For the purposes of evaluating a 'true' endgame build try to limit yourself to 80ish points.

80 points isn't that much though. I had almost 80 points at level 60, you can get up to 81 points at level 60. I would say like level 75 is considered proper endgame, minus 3 points for bandit rewards thats like 93 points.

Kammie

Ok, so how does this ranger setup look?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...-n8s6UjJ-TZJ07XrvYEsFLcRYJ9Vv8jnUoJ8k_edU1QA=

I saw some videos of people that had mana disabled and had skills consume HP instead (and they'd carry like four HP flasks). It seemed like a neat and easier way to manage things. I tried to hit up any HP or HP Regen nodes on the way. I also did the Frenzy nodes since it seems like a handy skill for spamming quickly.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if I should be doing anything else offensively on the tree. Or do I leave all of that work for the gear/crystals? Also, it currently says 29 points left. What is that, around level 70?

Also, is there any site with good (and tested) builds?

And if I use a Regret orb, I can only delete nodes that are at the end of a path, right? I've seen some builds out there that make it look like they removed nodes from the middle (like if you have nodes A B C D F, C and D are missing), but that has to be some sort of glitch on the tree viewer, right?

Thanks for the help.
Oh, and I also want to ask, but is it true that Evasion makes survivavility really tough on the harder modes? I put Iron Reflexes because it was suggested, and it seems like facetanking would be possible with it.

Card Boy

Banned
Question about respecs points. Are you able to refund a passive in the middle or does it have to be an end node?

End node but if you manage to make a loop connection on the web you can start removing nodes from the middle.

for example this strength node can be refunded.

4vTG3.png

Sarcasm

I may stop playing all together. I have no clue what to do with my 59 HC ranger.

I sit and I stare at these two builds (75 points spent)

01 and 02

Any input?

Quixzlizx

Oh, and I also want to ask, but is it true that Evasion makes survivavility really tough on the harder modes? I put Iron Reflexes because it was suggested, and it seems like facetanking would be possible with it.

Evasion isn't random. If your evasion is 80%, you will always be hit exactly one out of every five attacks. So, even if you get your evasion up to 95%, you're still going to be trucked every so often.

Armor always applies to attacks, so it's more predictable. However, the higher damage a single hit is, the less your armor will affect it. So armor will help you tank most enemies, but massive hits from rares/bosses will go right through it unless it's incredibly high.

Most people consider armor safer in the late-game, because at least you'll know the situations where damage will spike through armor and can prepare appropriately.

Sarcasm

Thanks..I am thinking I am just going to shelf my ranger.

Playing an alt..I forgot is there a way to tell what items are generally in quest rewards?

exostar

Neo Member
I'm loving this game. Seriously. I think I've spent more time playing with the passive tree than actually playing PoE though. Ironic?

Sarcasm

Than what build do you suggest? I been sitting here trying to figure out what to spend my points on (lvl 59 ranger). I was BM when I last played...like many months ago and I have learned over the last week is:

Acrobatics is worth it now (possible phase shift is)
If you take Blood Magic you shouldn't have auras (true?)

Top Bottom