• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Ended up leveling marauder to get the life on hit (at least it was fast as hell with the uniques and +dmg items i'd saved for low lvl alts
I'm half wondering if leveling it will be enough to negate the extra mana cost <.< my explosive arrow now costs 100 mana (health because of blood magic)
gotta hit 10 enemies just to break even atm

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
RIP my level 37 witch, at least I made it to cruel this time.

Died in act 1 to the mini boss in the mercy mission quest, he freeze twice back-to-back and I got killed faster than I can react. Don't even have the chance to alt-f4, need to practice it.

I should had max my cold resistance before facing that guy, I forgot about the -20% resist in cruel. Should had teleport back for 2 cold resist ring before going, but then again I don't think it would make a difference since I died so quick.

So what do you guys usually do when you move on to a new difficulty? Farm in previous difficulty until you get better gear to move on? I do realize a huge spike in damage on all mobs, I can face tank everything in act 3, but I can have kite around like a squirrel even against a group of zombie in the beginning.

Kalnos

Banned
So what do you guys usually do when you move on to a new difficulty? Farm in previous difficulty until you get better gear to move on? I do realize a huge spike in damage on all mobs, I can face tank everything in act 3, but I can have kite around like a squirrel even against a group of zombie in the beginning.

Usually just run to Ledge (skip the totem guy, Kuduku, for a bit) and farm there. Then in act 2 farm in Fellshrine ruins. If you look at the level of the zones when going to cruel you will notice that Tidal Island (where you died) and the Fetid Pool are both much higher than the adjacent areas that connect to them. Better off skipping them temporarily.

The only other advice I can give is to check your resistances when you go to a new difficulty as they're significantly lowered. Also, always carry a potion that can remove Frozen.

RIP my level 37 witch, at least I made it to cruel this time.

Died in act 1 to the mini boss in the mercy mission quest, he freeze twice back-to-back and I got killed faster than I can react. Don't even have the chance to alt-f4, need to practice it.

I should had max my cold resistance before facing that guy, I forgot about the -20% resist in cruel. Should had teleport back for 2 cold resist ring before going, but then again I don't think it would make a difference since I died so quick.

Sidequests in Cruel and Merciless are a lot higher level compared to the main areas which is different from normal. Hailrake is usually the last thing I do in Act 1.

So, how 'bout them 300 uniques from one monster?

http://www.twitch.tv/legendofstream

7wQtv8y.png

jersoc

the desync on brutus is still ridiculous. how has this not been fixed yet?

reason why i'll never play hardcore. most of the deaths are out of my control.

the desync on brutus is still ridiculous. how has this not been fixed yet?

reason why i'll never play hardcore. most of the deaths are out of my control.

about hardcore , I see quite a few gaffers here play on it, but then I see them mention alt f4ing out when they're in danger
I don't get that, you go for the sense of danger (or w/e the drive is for people to throw away their save when they die) and then cheat to avoid it... the easier solution here would be to just play on regular.

Sarcasm

I play on hardcore haven't had to "cheat" for a death that would be for my fault.

But when two things not in your control can screw you over..there is no fun in that.

Lag & Desync oddly not related to each other.

V_Arnold

about hardcore , I see quite a few gaffers here play on it, but then I see them mention alt f4ing out when they're in danger
I don't get that, you go for the sense of danger (or w/e the drive is for people to throw away their save when they die) and then cheat to avoid it... the easier solution here would be to just play on regular.

I feel like playing on hardcore in PoE is a sort of "peer pressure" thing. I have heard many times insane stataments like "you do not need defensive stats if you are not on hardcore, cause who cares if you die" thrown around, which is insane, since without defensive stats or a solution to shocks/ele damage/bursts/flickers/chaos damage/reflects, you will not survive maps or a3 merciless, so.... from where does this come?

It is like if you want to "keep it real", you need to play hardcore. I wont do that in such a desync-ridden game. And I do not want to keep it real either, but that is personal preference :D

KKRT00

Alt+F4 is rare, but sometimes necessity. I for example only quit once, because i was thrown into wall by Brutus.
Generally You TP out of danger.

HC is fun, but requires patience. Its definitely different mindset than playing on Softcore, because You have one life and You need to plan ahead, on Softcore though You can experiment and rush much more, You can also take much more risks, because penalty is fairly low.

Rufus

It is like if you want to "keep it real", you need to play hardcore. I wont do that in such a desync-ridden game. And I do not want to keep it real either, but that is personal preference :D
You're projecting quite a bit there. Softcore is just not as much fun, for me at least. The missing tension would put me to sleep.

V_Arnold

You're projecting quite a bit there. Softcore is just not as much fun, for me at least. The missing tension would put me to sleep.

I might be. I have plenty of tension not losing precious XP when running around with low health in low level maps or even at the zones before Piety. :p

(Joke time: But then again, in Chaos Inoculation-land, there is no such thing as low life after all! :D)

garath

What's the going rate for an exhaulted on the standard dominion league? I've seen the nemesis numbers thrown around but I got one on my scion last night. I've seen offers of 16 chaos for it which would probably be enough to get me cast on damage and some left over..

Perkel

Banned
I went tonight to Piety with my friend, he got a unique map (the horde mode one). I was amazed by that.

We decided to run again. No uniques. Then once more.
Then BAM: a unique map dropped again, for me. This time, it was the Pyramid, no mobs only chests.

Inside that, I found a great upgrade chest and 2 worthless uniques. Was SLIGHTLY disappointed.

Then, after all this, a trash mob dropped an ilvl68 Quill Rain on me. is that a sign, my PoE Lord? I have explosion arrow, I have +13% faster projectiles, I have attack speed, increased area of effect, everything is ready for that.

I sweas there is someone trying to make you into something.

Last weak i got summoner amulet zombie gem skeleton gem minion life and damage supports one after another

Mogwai

How long does this game take to open up? Coming from Diablo 3, PoE's artstyle looks really dull and the gameplay quite slow.

Where/how do I find new skill runes? I've played an hour so far and receive two through quests.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Sidequests in Cruel and Merciless are a lot higher level compared to the main areas which is different from normal. Hailrake is usually the last thing I do in Act 1.

Well I learn something new every 35 levels, time to reroll. I really liked my builds and items too. :(

Uh, what character name can I add for the guild officers? Perkel is usually offline when I play. :(

Anyone with a spare Arc gem? I don't really care about the quality.

is cast on critical worth much?

also any suggestions for single target damage with a quill rain? poison arrow really just doesn't cut it anymore.
I'm still absolutely wrecking every pack of enemies with explosive arrow (including any bosses caught in the pack, they just go splat), but when I meet lone bosses ,especially with elemental resistance, it takes a long time to single target them down.
My gems feel really unbalanced because of this.

KKRT00

is cast on critical worth much?

also any suggestions for single target damage with a quill rain? poison arrow really just doesn't cut it anymore.
I'm still absolutely wrecking every pack of enemies with explosive arrow (including any bosses caught in the pack, they just go splat), but when I meet lone bosses ,especially with elemental resistance, it takes a long time to single target them down.
My gems feel really unbalanced because of this.

Elemental Hit + Weapon Elemental Damage + Added Lighting + Added Cold. It can get expensive though :p

===
Uh, what character name can I add for the guild officers? Perkel is usually offline when I play. :(
Send me PM with Your character name. I'll add You, when i get online.

Tom Penny

Respec'd my Templar who was my best character to try an Incinerate build. Hope I don't fail miserably. Trying to level up my incinerate gem while I go through merciless with my Scion. Doing like no damage with a gem 30 level requirements below my character :(

Elemental Hit + Weapon Elemental Damage + Added Lighting + Added Cold. It can get expensive though :p

===

Thanks, I already have added lightning (and added chaos as well) so it shouldn't be too bad.

just need weapon ele and elementalhit then

also something I've been wondering for ages:
what's the best way to use alchemy orbs and orb of chance respectively?

Orb of chance use only on items that can get be crafted to unique..

Orb of Alchemy use only when You really need to make an upgrade.
Kripparrian made quite nice video today, but its really end game way of using Alchemy orbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqGS3ycn-lk

wut there's items that can be made into unique?
edit: btw that video was helpful, I knew about the rings but noit the amulet recipe
thanks for the info, I'll keep them till endgame then.

inky

wut there's items that can be made into unique?

Yep, including maps.

Items (and monsters as well) come in 4 rarity tiers: normal, magic, rare and unique, but they all share the same base. That means, for example, using orb of chance on a white coral ring can give you one of the 3 other item rarities, including unique status.

You have to consider the white item's item level when you use a chance orb, because that dictates what unique item it can turn into. That is why it is recommended to keep all your chance orbs for endgame.

Edit: beaten.

Perkel

Banned
Yep, including maps.

Items (and monsters as well) come in 4 rarity tiers: normal, magic, rare and unique, but they all share the same base. That means, for example, using orb of chance on a white coral ring can give you one of the 3 other item rarities, including unique status.

You have to consider the white item's item level when you use a chance orb, because that dictates what unique item it can turn into. That is why it is recommended to keep all your chance orbs for endgame.

Edit: beaten.

Frankly i don't like when people suggest new people hoarding exalts chaos or other stuff till endgame.

Hoarding is good if you played already game. For new people using currency for first time should be fun. Watching all those orbs that won't be used for a ton of their time (maybe never) is not fun.

So if you are new player just use those orbs. At start you don't know if they are valuable or not and that shouldn't bother you until end game. After that you will probably hoard them.

inky

I disagree. Sure, use them a few times if you need an upgrade or want to see how they work, but learning to craft smartly is also part of the game. It can become very difficult when you get to Merciless and wasted all your currency on items that were not worth it. Using alchs or chaos early on isn't really that big of a deal and can help you level smoothly. Using an exalt when you are level 35 is going to do nothing for you, and other than the thrill of getting reflect damage is not going to help you that much either. Saving it for later can do wonders, for trading or crafting, so I think it is smart to learn how and when is best to use some stuff.

In any case, chance orbs are not that uncommon, so chancing stuff along the way is perfectly fine. Just don't spend it all in one place :p

Quixzlizx

Frankly i don't like when people suggest new people hoarding exalts chaos or other stuff till endgame.

Hoarding is good if you played already game. For new people using currency for first time should be fun. Watching all those orbs that won't be used for a ton of their time (maybe never) is not fun.

So if you are new player just use those orbs. At start you don't know if they are valuable or not and that shouldn't bother you until end game. After that you will probably hoard them.

I think alchemy/transformation/alteration/chromatic orbs can be used for some lotto excitement at lower levels, but fusing/chaos orbs should be used to trade for good stuff instead of blowing it on a small chance to make some good stuff.

CzarTim

I don't know, I wasted a bunch of currency when I was a newbie because I didn't think I'd stick with the game, and I now regret it.

Perkel

Banned
I think alchemy/transformation/alteration/chromatic orbs can be used for some lotto excitement at lower levels, but fusing/chaos orbs should be used to trade for good stuff instead of blowing it on a small chance to make some good stuff.

honestly i don't agree. I got ton of times good roll using just one chaos or fusing. I even used exalted on low lever gear just for fun.

garath

I've used a few alchemy and chance orbs in my level grind and I don't regret it. Sometimes a class hits a power valley and needs a little boost that a good piece of gear can provide.

For the most part I'm going to save my gems until later though.

zon

I prefer Hardcore mainly for one reason: it's a very effective gold sink. In HC you can take large hits to your accumulation of wealth thanks to the death of a character, which I think keeps prices in trades a bit more fair for everyone.

It also forces me to pay attention more while I play, in softcore I zoned out a couple of times because death didn't really mean anything if it happened.

Quixzlizx

honestly i don't agree. I got ton of times good roll using just one chaos or fusing. I even used exalted on low lever gear just for fun.

It doesn't even make sense to use an exalted on a low level piece of gear, even if you get a good mod. "Oooh, I just spent the equivalent of 18 chaos on +32 life."

Eliciel

Is there anyone in here that follows the build of the templar crit lightning strike build? I'm a bit concerned if the build is still reliable on the fully released game. I encounter a lot of monsters that are lightning resistant and nearly no monsters have any extra resistances against melee..? I'm lvl 32 right now and Act 2 finish was really hard already which I didn't expect. Is that just a biased view or am I right?

Perkel

Banned
I got 2 exalt to actually drop in game in 12 + months.Most people can't just use them on nothing.

i got like 10 total in a month when i played in open beta. Rerol chars. They have extreme boost for high currency early in game. I usually find at least one chaos before i reach marveil

It doesn't even make sense to use an exalted on a low level piece of gear, even if you get a good mod. "Oooh, I just spent the equivalent of 18 chaos on +32 life."

lol. Honestly good low level weapon is super important for hardcore leagues.

Quixzlizx

lol. Honestly good low level weapon is super important for hardcore leagues.

But an exalt isn't going going to significantly improve a low-level weapon, unless you manage to get something like "+100% physical damage," but why would you use an exalt on a weapon that doesn't already have great damage mods? You're better off selling the exalt for 18 chaos and using 1-4 chaos to buy a weapon that craps all over the weapon you were going to apply the exalt to.

Tom Penny

Is there anyone in here that follows the build of the templar crit lightning strike build? I'm a bit concerned if the build is still reliable on the fully released game. I encounter a lot of monsters that are lightning resistant and nearly no monsters have any extra resistances against melee..? I'm lvl 32 right now and Act 2 finish was really hard already which I didn't expect. Is that just a biased view or am I right?

Lighting strike / multistrike is a great combo build. I did sword and board though.

Perkel

Banned
But an exalt isn't going going to significantly improve a low-level weapon, unless you manage to get something like "+100% physical damage," but why would you use an exalt on a weapon that doesn't already have great damage mods? You're better off selling the exalt for 18 chaos and using 1-4 chaos to buy a weapon that craps all over the weapon you were going to apply the exalt to.

i was joking.

Still using any currency by new players is good. They should get as much fun as they can get because you don't know if someone will stay with the game or not.

Quixzlizx

I hope you guys do your civic duty and support Grim Dawn on Steam now that its up in early access.

Well, I could try out PoE first before deciding whether it was worth my money (I've already spent $20 on PoE stash tabs and will probably buy more, lol).

Top Bottom