• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Hit merciless, the final areas were surprisingly easy on cruel, I was expecting to die a lot but the mobs don't hit that hard,resist cap probably helped (a few of the others were falling like flies)

-60 resists in merciless is harsh:( there goes my resist cap sigh
I'm at the ledge in act1 now guess I'll farm up there till I find some new gear.
It's been super super laggy from the moment I got to merciless (no lag before that ,except very rarely during peak time) ...
does it use different (overcrowded) servers or something?
I've died 4x to big lagspikes in under 2 hours, can't imagine why anyone would play hardcore mode in these conditions.

I'm also finding it really hard to find the links i need to do my build
been 2 days now and still I'm not able to use my lightning arrow simply because I can't find an item with the required slot link
wasted some orbs to try n make a good pair of gloves into the right stuff but that was a waste of time and resources.

I'm just using bear trap now alongside explosive arrow and my curse as it seems to do very large amounts of single target damage

Yondy604

Banned
I have never played this game, I played Diablo 3.

Any tips for trying it out? which classes are fun and op to farm with atm?.

Is the game as good as TL2 or D3?

garath

Hit merciless, the final areas were surprisingly easy on cruel, I was expecting to die a lot but the mobs don't hit that hard,resist cap probably helped (a few of the others were falling like flies)

-60 resists in merciless is harsh:( there goes my resist cap sigh
I'm at the ledge in act1 now guess I'll farm up there till I find some new gear.
It's been super super laggy from the moment I got to merciless (no lag before that ,except very rarely during peak time) ...
does it use different (overcrowded) servers or something?
I've died 4x to big lagspikes in under 2 hours, can't imagine why anyone would play hardcore mode in these conditions.

I'm also finding it really hard to find the links i need to do my build
been 2 days now and still I'm not able to use my lightning arrow simply because I can't find an item with the required slot link
wasted some orbs to try n make a good pair of gloves into the right stuff but that was a waste of time and resources.

I'm just using bear trap now alongside explosive arrow and my curse as it seems to do very large amounts of single target damage

Regarding getting items with the right links, I've had the best luck picking up whites that have the number of linked slots that might not be the right color but would have the tendency toward that color combo and using a few chromatic gems.

I.e. I needed some boots with 3L green->green->red. I picked up a 4 slot, 3L white reinforced greaves (all armor) which has a tendency toward red and green nodes. It took 4 chromatic orbs to turn it into a green->green->red. From there I just hit it with armor's scrap and an alchemy. Sure beat trying to find a rare with the right links. I could have tried a chance (did that with my chest) but I opted for the guaranteed rare.

If you need something with more blues, an item with energy shield is more likely to roll those nodes.

zon

I have never played this game, I played Diablo 3.

Any tips for trying it out? which classes are fun and op to farm with atm?.

Is the game as good as TL2 or D3?

I think it's better than both, much better than TL2.

The combat is very sluggish and slow during the lower levels, after lvl 35 or so it starts to pick up the pace a bit in my experience.

An easy build to start with that is both powerful and requires no wealth at all is the Ground Slam Marauder, you can read about it here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73072 You get all the skill gems you need as quest rewards too (in PoE you get skills from gems which you put into your equipment).

maharg

idspispopd
The combat is very sluggish and slow during the lower levels, after lvl 35 or so it starts to pick up the pace a bit in my experience.

I'm always a little surprised to hear people say this because I didn't feel that at all. I think the plot is sluggish, but the early gameplay is fine. I guess I tend to compare it more to D2 than D3, though, and in D2 the first couple of hours of your first playthrough (when you're not being geared up by other runs) is basically spent hunting 10 quill shooting rats in a giant field while your mana runs out after a couple uses of whatever default action you've got.

Kalnos

Banned
I'm always a little surprised to hear people say this because I didn't feel that at all. I think the plot is sluggish, but the early gameplay is fine. I guess I tend to compare it more to D2 than D3, though, and in D2 the first couple of hours of your first playthrough (when you're not being geared up by other runs) is basically spent hunting 10 quill shooting rats in a giant field while your mana runs out after a couple uses of whatever default action you've got.

And running out of stamina and having to walk. :<

Started playing around with a Witch and looked at the passive tree... I just don't know where to go with her. I guess the best builds involve wands? Would going for a frost and minion build be viable? I rather like the freezing effect.

Raxum

Have been playing this a fair bit recently, and gotten a few characters into cruel. My current favourite is a Flicker Strike Duelist. Build for skills so far is: Flicker Strike+Multistrike+Life Gain on Hit(need Life Leech)+Melee Physical Damage, Blood Rage, Heavy Strike+Melee Splash+Life Gain On Hit and Frenzy. Considering dropping heavy strike and supporting frenzy with those 2 supports for instant frenzy charges. Using blood magic and stacking health and a 2h wep. The build has been good to me so far, though it only really hit its stride once I got that multi-strike gem. With 4 frenzy charges (at level 45) I get around 2.5k dps on flicker strike.

Now to find more chaos resistance somewhere before I hit merciless so blood rage doesn't decimate my health regen.

Beant

I just started playing this game after playing for a bit in the open beta (got to around level 70).

I started a 2h templar, and my first unique drop was a great 2h elemental sword (for me at least) - Shiversting

This gave me around 350 dps at level 17 with lightning strike. Feels great to be back!

This game really hits all of the right buttons; it really is the spiritual successor to diablo 2.

Rubius

First unique. Yay. No unique skin though.
Xn2HvnP.png

Kammie

So I had to say goodbye to Rain of Arrows... had to move some things in my spell selection around. 70 hours with it... I feel like I've lost a child. T_T I'm not used to games where I have to give up access to skills to focus on just a few.

Are Mana Leech gems common? Been keeping an eye on the trade chat for a while, but haven't seen a single one advertised. I'm at a point where my mana is unsustainable. lol.

Level 70 haven't come across a few of the gems I need though, Blood magic, cast on hit ect. Also I am using Tabula Rasa for 6 link but that makes me very vulnerable so I have been farming fellstone for a while no but nothing.

Edit I see from above that cast from damage taken is a reward from the 2nd last quest which I am at. I will try to do that after my next level as dying takes away to much exp.

Qvoth

i think i'm ready to try out this game
thinking of witch since she's the summoner class
seems like she's only good for late game? :(

Sarcasm

So spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get into Cruel after killing Dom (nemisis yay)

Didn't see the dang portal.

So any leveling tips for the cruel diff?

Card Boy

Banned
Added a 250ms cooldown to Cast on Damage Taken. There are more changes to this support gem coming in 1.0.1.
Fixed an extremely rare bug where too many unique items could drop from a monster outside of the Albino Rhoa Event.
The limit of guild membership is now 250 (up from 200).
Guild Stash Tabs now have all permissions turned on for everyone in the guild by default. If the leader wants to restrict them, this can be done by right clicking on the tab. Previously they were fully restricted by default.
Fixed the One of a Kind achievement not counting some item slots correctly.
Fixed an issue with the Blood of Karui unique item and interactions with other life recovery stats.
Fixed a crash which sometimes occurred when logging out after talking to an NPC.
Fixed an instance crash with Spectral Throw.
Fixed some issues with the Headhunter unique item and kill assignment.

Abit old.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/585334

Time to make some changes to my gimpy witch to make her not shit

some questions for summoner witch

what aura(s?) should I run?
does hatred or wrath work better to boost my minion's dmg?
The guide I read suggests using discipline but it seems I can't run a second aura for dmg (like the guide suggests) or i'll simply have no mana to use

what gems synergise well with raise zombie
and with raise skeleton (i'm not making a spectre focussed build cba constantly going to pick up specific spectres that would make me just quit playing)

do i still need armor and evasion when I have energy shield? the shield (600 atm at the start of cruel) seems to go FAST

Sarcasm

• Domination: 51.3%
  • Nemesis: 20.5%
  • Standard: 25.6%
  • Hardcore: 2.6%

Yea..I played on HC before and when I came back I was so lonely. So I ditched that character. Supposedly according to notes the Nemesis League is doing really well.

So spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get into Cruel after killing Dom (nemisis yay)

Didn't see the dang portal.

So any leveling tips for the cruel diff?

Now that you are in cruel, I suggest the following:

1. Skip Tidal Island. Hell Rake WILL kill you if you try and man him up.
2. Skip Fetid Pool. In fact, don't visit their unless in a party or a few levels higher than the monster level.
3. Farm Ledge and Fell Shrine.
4. Kill cruel Vaal in a party, make sure your lightning resists are high.
5. Pay someone to kill merciless Vaal, Piety. Skip mercilless Dominus.
6. Just skip he WHOLE scepter of god area in cruel and merciless.
7. Farm merciless Docks / City of Sarn until level 70+
8. If you aren't having fun with your build until lelvel 65+, you might just want to consider scrapping the character all together, using the decent/awesome gear you found, and re-rolling.

RIP my level 37 witch, at least I made it to cruel this time.

Died in act 1 to the mini boss in the mercy mission quest, he freeze twice back-to-back and I got killed faster than I can react. Don't even have the chance to alt-f4, need to practice it.

I should had max my cold resistance before facing that guy, I forgot about the -20% resist in cruel. Should had teleport back for 2 cold resist ring before going, but then again I don't think it would make a difference since I died so quick.

So what do you guys usually do when you move on to a new difficulty? Farm in previous difficulty until you get better gear to move on? I do realize a huge spike in damage on all mobs, I can face tank everything in act 3, but I can have kite around like a squirrel even against a group of zombie in the beginning.

See my quote above. You will die in these side missions if you treat progressing as a linear activity. The thing to do is to move on with the required quests, level up, and THEN return to do the side quests such as fetid pool, mercy, and hand of god. Keep in mind the monster levels in an area. If you go to fetid pool, you will notice that the monster level in cruel and merciless are significantly higher than your level (if progressing linearly).

On a side note, it is best to put a macro on the alt-f4. I have it on a button on my mouse. It has saved me numerous times, but has failed me the last 5+ deaths I incurred.

Anyone have a shop up on the website with the buyout set so it shows up on the poe.xyz.is index?

I can't figure out how to set up the (~b/o 1 chaos) string to work correctly.

Anyone have a shop up on the website with the buyout set so it shows up on the poe.xyz.is index?

I can't figure out how to set up the (~b/o 1 chaos) string to work correctly.

I'm not sure how to do that either. They say it helps to add that if you want a quick turn around. Personally, I don't think it matters much but in a league so packed it defintely helps you to stand out at least.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
See my quote above. You will die in these side missions if you treat progressing as a linear activity. The thing to do is to move on with the required quests, level up, and THEN return to do the side quests such as fetid pool, mercy, and hand of god. Keep in mind the monster levels in an area. If you go to fetid pool, you will notice that the monster level in cruel and merciless are significantly higher than your level (if progressing linearly).

On a side note, it is best to put a macro on the alt-f4. I have it on a button on my mouse. It has saved me numerous times, but has failed me the last 5+ deaths I incurred.

Thanks for the suggestion, how much health or health+es should I aim for in cruel? The only armor source is molten shell since I am building a trapper.

I'm not sure how to do that either. They say it helps to add that if you want a quick turn around. Personally, I don't think it matters much but in a league so packed it defintely helps you to stand out at least.

I figured it out. The site needed to re-index the items for it to show the changes. All I had to do was bump my thread.

I met a rare Rhoa looking enemy at the Shipyard in Cruel. I saw it had a crit damage modifer. Ok. Summoned my minion army. It bumrushed straight at me. Hit me once and killed me through 850life/es.

Don't know if I lagged, lol.

Thanks for the suggestion, how much health or health+es should I aim for in cruel? The only armor source is molten shell since I am building a trapper.

This depends on your build and league. I'd say shoot for 1K at the end of normal, 2K at the end of cruel, and then from there it really varies.

The best items drop when you are doing maps, so your goal is to gear as best you can for the level and area you are in, and then to get the best gear you can get for mapping. So, if I am fighting in chambers of sin level 3 merciless, I want to cap my lightning resist to 75 and skimp out on fire and cold.

You should look at life in terms of percentage nodes. If you only took 100% worth of life based nodes and you are end game and HC, then it isn't enough. BUT, it depeneds on your build.

Path of Life Nodes.

zon

Now that you are in cruel, I suggest the following:

1. Skip Tidal Island. Hell Rake WILL kill you if you try and man him up.
2. Skip Fetid Pool. In fact, don't visit their unless in a party or a few levels higher than the monster level.
3. Farm Ledge and Fell Shrine.
4. Kill cruel Vaal in a party, make sure your lightning resists are high.
5. Pay someone to kill merciless Vaal, Piety. Skip mercilless Dominus.
6. Just skip he WHOLE scepter of god area in cruel and merciless.
7. Farm merciless Docks / City of Sarn until level 70+
8. If you aren't having fun with your build until lelvel 65+, you might just want to consider scrapping the character all together, using the decent/awesome gear you found, and re-rolling.

You can solo Vaal easily in cruel. I did that earlier today. =P

You can solo Vaal easily in cruel. I did that earlier today. =P

For me, it depends on the league I am playing. If it is hardcore, then I'll fight cruel Vaal in a party. Then, after I am significantly over leveled I'll come back and fight him 1 on 1 for currency or friends. A lot of people solo Vaal, but I like the comfort of doing it in a party setting ^_^

Are you going to fight merciless Vaal solo?

zon

For me, it depends on the league I am playing. If it is hardcore, then I'll fight cruel Vaal in a party. Then, after I am significantly over leveled I'll come back and fight him 1 on 1 for currency or friends. A lot of people solo Vaal, but I like the comfort of doing it in a party setting ^_^

Are you going to fight merciless Vaal solo?

If I can make it that far and my gear has enough resists, yup!

Just finished act 1 merciless,kind of dissapointed in it so far, it's 95 percent just mobs hitting harder, there being more of them and them having more hp.

There's a few new mob abilities here and there and a bit more auras but the gameplay doesn't change as much as I'd like (some mobs involve a lot of dodging of abilities/charges which is more fun)
The sidequest areas seem the most interesting as those are harder with neater enemies.

should I just keep making my way through to the end?
Been soloing all of cruel (except for hand of god) and so far all of merciless act 1 , I stopped to farm ledge a few times but my exp bar wasn't moving much (and the skellies there are all fire resistant) but I didn't end up finding any useful drops (4-5 link seems very rare, even whites , still haven't found the right type (dex/int and dex/str) gloves helmets or boots with 4 links to make my lightning arrow spec work)

Is the jungle at the very start of act 2 (with the monkeys) worth farming?
Leveling is slowing down quite a lot now that I'm lvl 57.

Quixzlizx

Just finished act 1 merciless,kind of dissapointed in it so far, it's 95 percent just mobs hitting harder, there being more of them and them having more hp.

There's a few new mob abilities here and there and a bit more auras but the gameplay doesn't change as much as I'd like (some mobs involve a lot of dodging of abilities/charges which is more fun)
The sidequest areas seem the most interesting as those are harder with neater enemies.

should I just keep making my way through to the end?
Been soloing all of cruel (except for hand of god) and so far all of merciless act 1 , I stopped to farm ledge a few times but my exp bar wasn't moving much (and the skellies there are all fire resistant) but I didn't end up finding any useful drops (4-5 link seems very rare, even whites , still haven't found the right type (dex/int and dex/str) gloves helmets or boots with 4 links to make my lightning arrow spec work)

Is the jungle at the very start of act 2 (with the monkeys) worth farming?
Leveling is slowing down quite a lot now that I'm lvl 57.

If you've made it that far, you'd may as well keep going so that you end up leveled enough to do maps.

Also, I've found that in Merciless you're much more likely to have multiple rare mobs clustered together. And you should probably just level at Fellshrine. It won't take very long to get there from the beginning of Act 2.

Cast on Damage Taken is one of the most sought-after gems, and it's only a quest reward at the very end of the hardest difficulty, so it's worth 8 chaos orbs. The others should all be worth 1-2 chaos.
\/\/\/

Yo guys. Just started this game this past weekend and just killed Piety. Currently a level 41 spectral throw Shadow. Yeah, yeah, I know. Very original.

Any way, was wondering if anyone has any spares of the following gems:

- Life Leech
- Increased crit damage
- Grace
- Faster attacks
- Cast on damage taken

Of course I'm willing to trade for these, but I'm not really clear on how much things are worth between players yet, so you'll have to bear with me.

Also anyone else who just started can feel free to hit me up for help/general grouping.

IGN: Greyword, North America, Domination.

If you've made it that far, you'd may as well keep going so that you end up leveled enough to do maps.

Also, I've found that in Merciless you're much more likely to have multiple rare mobs clustered together. And you should probably just level at Fellshrine. It won't take very long to get there from the beginning of Act 2.

Yeah I do regularly run into 3 rare mobs in one pack at a time.
This explosive arrow build (now that I have bear trap for single target dmg) seems really easy in merciless.
Usually don't even notice there's multiple rares in a pack until a few seconds after the pull when they're the only ones standing on <20 percent hp.

How would I go about purchasing the gear needed to 5 link my spells?
I'm about ready to give up on ever finding it myself, 8+ hours of leveling over the past 2 days and not a single suitable white item.
At what level can you start doing maps?

Quixzlizx

Yeah I do regularly run into 3 rare mobs in one pack at a time.
This explosive arrow build (now that I have bear trap for single target dmg) seems really easy in merciless.
Usually don't even notice there's multiple rares in a pack until a few seconds after the pull when they're the only ones standing on <20 percent hp.

How would I go about purchasing the gear needed to 5 link my spells?
I'm about ready to give up on ever finding it myself, 8+ hours of leveling over the past 2 days and not a single suitable white item.
At what level can you start doing maps?

You can use poe.xyz.is to search the forums to see what's on sale after putting in your search criteria.

The lowest-leveled maps are 66, although you should probably be a bit over-leveled to be safe if you're on Nemesis.

Raide

Played the beta, thought the game was so-so. Finally getting deeper into the full version and I am enjoying it. Taking time to look around the tree, work out what skills work and what don't and then figuring out how to socket gems correctly. In some ways the game is a bit more shallow than other loot games, in other ways its crazy deep.

Deadly

Yo guys. Just started this game this past weekend and just killed Piety. Currently a level 41 spectral throw Shadow. Yeah, yeah, I know. Very original.

Any way, was wondering if anyone has any spares of the following gems:

- Life Leech
- Increased crit damage
- Grace
- Faster attacks
- Cast on damage taken

Of course I'm willing to trade for these, but I'm not really clear on how much things are worth between players yet, so you'll have to bear with me.

Also anyone else who just started can feel free to hit me up for help/general grouping.

IGN: Greyword, North America, Domination.
You can get increased crit damage by getting to the merveil area with a shadow. If you have somebody with you to give you waypoints it should be very fast.

Do you have a particular build in mind for arc?
My build idea is a lightning CI summoner who stacks shock through passives, crits, proliferation and curses. I'll add elemental equilibrium so that enemies take massive fire damage from MI after getting debuffed by shocked.

Spark doesn't hit reliably for me specially in open areas. I don't want to get close with Shock Nova even though it has (I think) the best innate chance to shock.

this game is boring as shit by myself... need some bros to crawl some dungeons with. i'm only level 14 or 15 it's been months since i've played Steam ID is the same as my GAF username.

Top Bottom