• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Ferrio

Banned
Fucking hell currency in t his game confuses the shit outta me. I really need a new sword, a 4L and multistrike.. but god knows how I'm suppose to trade these people.

Kammie

Blood magic is also an option, depending on your hp pool.
Yeah, I'm copying a build that's centered on Blood Magic/HP/Crit/Frenzy/Lightning/Evade. It's just gonna take me at least another 20 levels to make it over to Blood Magic, and I may not even hit it that soon since I should pick up some HP first. So I've got a while to go.

Finally got blood magic on my archer
Went from being gimped due to perpetual oomness with quill rain on normal mode to being a wrecking ball on cruel with explosive arrow

breezed through the first act on cruel, time for bed now.

Found a projectile totem so I'm going to try it + explosive arrow + lesser multiple projectiles as a mini me

Also had no idea just how much more loot you get on cruel,I would never have rolled 2 alts on normal after finishing normal on my witch had I known (then again my witch is garbage as summoner, no damage and the zombies/skellies/spectres die in seconds in the final 2 areas on normal.

inky

Mana Leech support gem could work if you can give something up in your current link, or even linking it to another ability that is low cost and you can use to replenish your pool. Even sometimes picking up clarity, linking that to reduced mana and leaving it relatively low level is better than having a large mana pool because regen means you can pretty much spam whatever.

If you are going to stick to the game I would recommend doing short races when they become available. Racing teaches you o much about the game, efficient early builds, items and skills, leveling paths, how to use vendors and currency, etc.Sure, you screw up a lot of characters in the way, but that is what the game is all about for me in the end.

Rufus

One thing I'm looking forward to is a better way to manage my mana. When I linked LMP and Fork to both Lightning Arrow and Poison Arrow, it screwed with the mana consumption.
You don't really need LMP and Forok on LA, since LA already hits some adjacent mobs (although they have to be close).

Kettch

Fucking hell currency in t his game confuses the shit outta me. I really need a new sword, a 4L and multistrike.. but god knows how I'm suppose to trade these people.

The currency ratios on Nemesis at the moment (from my one eye on trade chat, so just a general idea of what's valuable):

1 Exalted: 19 Chaos
1 Divine: 5 Chaos
2 Regal: 3 Chaos
1 Regret: 1 Chaos
2 Blessed: 1 Chaos
2 Fusing: 1 Chaos
2 Alchemy: 1 Chaos
2 Scour: 1 Chaos
8 Jewelers: 1 Chaos
20 Alteration: 1 Chaos
20 Chromatic: 1 Chaos
40 Transmutation: 1 Chaos
140 Wisdom Scrolls: 1 Chaos

Not particularly sure on any others. Hope that helps.

Gothos

My second Nemesis char died :< RIP Critario, spectral throw crit dagger shadow bested by Kole on Cruel. Totally my fault, almost killed him, he had like 2% left but I also was low on health, decided to go for the kill instead of backing up (those softcore habits, eh) and he smahed me into ground. Oh, well, I'm not that sad, I was a bit tired of this char.
Making elemental Split Arrow Duelist now, so far breezing through Normal with levelling gear - funny thing, I got 2 Quil Rains and 2 Silverbranches :)

Kammie

You don't really need LMP and Forok on LA, since LA already hits some adjacent mobs (although they have to be close).
I'm looking to get LMP (or maybe GMP, don't know how it would work) and Chain, which I don't have yet.

You can see the combo in effect here. The mobs are lightning-resistant in this area, and it still works well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOqikDH90B0

Edit: By the way, Fork makes a HUGE difference. When I put it on it decimates, but if I take it off, it just gets the mobs in front.

Boken

Banned
I'm looking to get LMP (or maybe GMP, don't know how it would work) and Chain, which I don't have yet.

You can see the combo in effect here. The mobs are lightning-resistant in this area, and it still works well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOqikDH90B0

Edit: By the way, Fork makes a HUGE difference. When I put it on it decimates, but if I take it off, it just gets the mobs in front.

if hitting the back line is the objective, have you tried pierce?

lower mana multiplier and no loss in damage

Kammie

if hitting the back line is the objective, have you tried pierce?

lower mana multiplier and no loss in damage
I'd tried it, but I tried it just now again to be sure, and it doesn't work as well. When it forks it hits the mobs standing off to the side of where you shot, whereas Pierce just hits the ones in the back. As a result, Fork works a lot better in clearing out a whole screen of enemies, especially when they're running at you.

I am currently level 40 and have been following this fireball CI Tri-Curse - Proliferated Burning Critical Fire Damage build. So far I have been able to solo all content and in fact was over-leveled for most of act 3 on normal, and I only grouped a few times. I didn't farm much, rather just cleared the side areas and did all quests. I just started Cruel difficulty and have been able to clear the first few instances.

My only limitations so far have been with survivability at times. If I get too aggressive and gather too many mobs, occasionally I get killed. I didn't have enough resistance/life to beat the primary bosses of act 2 and 3 without using several town portals.

Playing this build so far has been fun, particularly with seeing my power grow. I recommend buying some of the gems early in the game, such as elemental proliferation (drops in later difficulty act) and clarity if you haven't gotten it. Elemental proliferation is very useful early on and it spreads your damage rapidly. Clarity will significantly boost your damage by giving you sufficient mana to fireball mostly nonstop.

Hopefully I will continue to make it through cruel difficulty with ease.

This is my build so far.

InertiaXr

Any idea why I disconnect every 10-15 minutes for no apparent reason? Hasn't this game been in 'beta' and 'released' for months now? I also PMed a guy about the GAF Guild, been having a hell of a time finding groups to do some quests with, I'm in act 2 normal right now.

maharg

idspispopd
I've never played these types of games before, is PoE a good entrance to the genre or should I play Torchlight/Diablo?

Start with this. The only other option might be to start with Diablo 3 as basically being an easy mode version of the genre.

The only thing that might happen is the plot won't grab you in the same way Diablo's does. It's basically the only weak spot of this game to me.

Any idea why I disconnect every 10-15 minutes for no apparent reason? Hasn't this game been in 'beta' and 'released' for months now? I also PMed a guy about the GAF Guild, been having a hell of a time finding groups to do some quests with, I'm in act 2 normal right now.

Dunno, maybe a settings issue? Are you using the Steam client?

Some people get kicked due to ques but I'm not familiar with 10-15 minute DCs

I have the worst luck with getting HP mods whenever I make an evasion character. I have a decent amount of nodes, just held back by gear.

I only have 1500 hp in Act2 Cruel with my evasion trapper Shadow. :( Too low., I'm probably gonna die in Act3.

I'd tried it, but I tried it just now again to be sure, and it doesn't work as well. When it forks it hits the mobs standing off to the side of where you shot, whereas Pierce just hits the ones in the back. As a result, Fork works a lot better in clearing out a whole screen of enemies, especially when they're running at you.

Add me ingame if you want (jenberry)
I'm also leveling an archer and am also a new player (less than a week), could be helpful to exchange tips/discoveries/synergies on the class

My plan was to make a lightning arrow ranger as well but for now I'm using quill rain unique bow with explosive arrow , but leveling lightning arrow as well in a spare slot, I think I'll eventually switch to lightning arrow.

OT : how feasible is it for me to turn my quill rain into a 4 or 5 slot linked? And should I bother?
It's 3 slot atm and I'm level 43 and not being able to link explosive arrow to any life steal gem/fire dmg/elemental dmg gems i find (which i assume is mandatory for this build) is annoying.
Since the bow is the only piece of gear I'd keep in the mid-long run it's the only item that's probably worth spending orbs on.

Kammie

I have the worst luck with getting HP mods whenever I make an evasion character. I have a decent amount of nodes, just held back by gear.

I only have 1500 hp in Act2 Cruel with my evasion trapper Shadow. :( Too low., I'm probably gonna die in Act3.
Pfft. I'm in Act 2 Cruel, evasion-based, and I only have like 880 HP! And I've even been following a recognized build. Maybe I should concentrate more on getting to the HP nodes before all the crits. Things hurt now.

Add me ingame if you want (jenberry)
I'm also leveling an archer and am also a new player (less than a week), could be helpful to exchange tips/discoveries/synergies on the class

My plan was to make a lightning arrow ranger as well but for now I'm using quill rain unique bow with explosive arrow , but leveling lightning arrow as well in a spare slot, I think I'll eventually switch to lightning arrow.
Yeah, sure, I'll add you. A couple of week-old ranger players. It'll be like the blind leading the blind. XD

I didn't bother getting Lightning Arrow until yesterday (level 47 now), and it's just a huge difference over all the other skills. I think the fact it spreads out instantly may give it an advantage over Explosive Arrow, since that one takes a while to go off. But I imagine that with Chain and Lesser Multiple Projectiles, like my LA, it should work nicely.

That bow is crazy attack speed-wise, btw! I'd never be able to use a normal one after.

KKRT00

OT : how feasible is it for me to turn my quill rain into a 4 or 5 slot linked? And should I bother?
It's 3 slot atm and I'm level 43 and not being able to link explosive arrow to any life steal gem/fire dmg/elemental dmg gems i find (which i assume is mandatory for this build) is annoying.
Since the bow is the only piece of gear I'd keep in the mid-long run it's the only item that's probably worth spending orbs on.

You need to check what ilvl [/itemlevel in chat] is Your bow. You can get 4 gem slots on ilvl 28 and 5 gem slots on ilvl 35.

You asked earlier how many character slots You have, i believe its 24.

---------

Damn, reading this thread on a phone and no participating was annoying as hell for a last 4 days :p

Pfft. I'm in Act 2 Cruel, evasion-based, and I only have like 880 HP! And I've even been following a recognized build. Maybe I should concentrate more on getting to the HP nodes before all the crits. Things hurt now.

Yeah, sure, I'll add you. A couple of week-old ranger players. It'll be like the blind leading the blind. XD

I didn't bother getting Lightning Arrow until yesterday (level 47 now), and it's just a huge difference over all the other skills. I think the fact it spreads out instantly may give it an advantage over Explosive Arrow, since that one takes a while to go off. But I imagine that with Chain and Lesser Multiple Projectiles, like my LA, it should work nicely.

That bow is crazy attack speed-wise, btw! I'd never be able to use a normal one after.
Yeah it's quite fun that bow, you need a lot of life steal to make up for the insane life/mana drain though
The delay in the explosion is part annoying part fun.
It's cool to shoot 10 arrow with greater multiple projectiles into a group of enemies (with a rare spawn in there) and then turn around and not look at the explosion that kills EVERYTHING :p
I need some sunglasses for my character.

You need to check what ilvl [/itemlevel in chat] is Your bow. You can get 4 gem slots on ilvl 28 and 5 gem slots on ilvl 35.

You asked earlier how many character slots You have, i believe its 24.

---------
Yeah I googled it before throwing a bunch of orbs at my bow, thank god lol
It's ilvl 21 so the highest slots I can get is 3.

About shadow btw, is it playable as trapper? I searched and searched and couldn't find any builds for this one, none that were by someone reputable or seemingly knowledgable at least.

I'd like to make a trapper char if it's feasible, then I'd have an aoe chain archer, a summoner witch, a spectral throw scion and a trapper (shadow?) to have some variety in playstyles, I think I'd get bored fast if I made multiple chars with similar playstyles.

KKRT00

Shadow has the most trap oriented nodes near start, so yeah its good pick. He also has quite many spell power nodes and dagger nodes. And dagger are good for trap based character, because they roll high critical chance and high spell power and allow for other skills like whirlwind blade for example.

Hey guys, could use some advice on a build.

I'm running a crit-hit, physical wand build, my damage is great for my level, happy with that...

However, some survivability is an issue, when it comes to fast enemies.

When I get rushed, it becomes a problem, I have to run. When I'm running I'm not dealing damage, this starts to compound my issue. If a lot of enemies get on me, or even things like archers, or ranged magic, this becomes a huge problem.

So, any advice to counter close range?

Level 50-ish, act 2, Nemesis.

FYI: I run two Quicksilvers, and have 25% additional movement speed.

The currency ratios on Nemesis at the moment (from my one eye on trade chat, so just a general idea of what's valuable):

1 Exalted: 19 Chaos
1 Divine: 5 Chaos
2 Regal: 3 Chaos
1 Regret: 1 Chaos
2 Blessed: 1 Chaos
2 Fusing: 1 Chaos
2 Alchemy: 1 Chaos
2 Scour: 1 Chaos
8 Jewelers: 1 Chaos
20 Alteration: 1 Chaos
20 Chromatic: 1 Chaos
40 Transmutation: 1 Chaos
140 Wisdom Scrolls: 1 Chaos

Not particularly sure on any others. Hope that helps.

This is nice. I think what also needs to be added are prices for gems and items. The only problem with a list like this is the daily fluctuation of prices and the fact that you can barter for a slight advantage.

Just to add:

Reduced Mana: 2 Chaos (although they are trending towards 3)
Blood Magic: 2 Chaos (although they are trending towards 3/4 ish)
Multistrike: 8 Chaos
Chain: 2 Chaos
GMP: 2 Chaos
Clarity/Purity: 1 Chaos

I can't list all the other gems, but they would range between an alch or a chaos. The thing is, you have to watch the market and be patient. Vendor all of your useless yellow items and build you alteration count, jewelers count, and fusing count. These items are all worth currency, but are not as liquid as having chaos.

Item value liquidity is the issue here. You have to trade and convert these items into chaos. Before you know it, you will have enough pure chaos orbs to work with. You will not be rich, but you will be able to slowly gear up.

You don't really get rich in this game until at higher levels when you start finding better items. The items you find should be placed in your shop on the official POE forums. This is much better than spamming items for sale in trade window, because your shop is working 24/7.

When you find a great item, instead of using it yourself, put it up for sale. Place it in your shop and make a thread specifically for it. You do this to gage interest in your item. Then you can estimate its value and how much you can get for it.

Use the following website: "poe.xyz.is" to find gear. It is worth it!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hey guys, could use some advice on a build.

However, some survivability is an issue, when it comes to fast enemies.

So, any advice to counter close range?

I'm not a pro at this game but it sounds like you could easily fix your problem if you threw spammy a wand ability like power siphon, and gave it LMP, life on hit and mayyybe pierce?

That should allow you to face tank huge groups of mobs. At least that's how my Lightning Arrow archer works so I assume the principal should remain for you.

Quixzlizx

This is nice. I think what also needs to be added are prices for gems and items. The only problem with a list like this is the daily fluctuation of prices and the fact that you can barter for a slight advantage.

Just to add:

Reduced Mana: 2 Chaos (although they are trending towards 3)
Blood Magic: 2 Chaos (although they are trending towards 3/4 ish)
Multistrike: 8 Chaos
Chain: 2 Chaos
GMP: 2 Chaos
Clarity/Purity: 1 Chaos

I can't list all the other gems, but they would range between an alch or a chaos. The thing is, you have to watch the market and be patient. Vendor all of your useless yellow items and build you alteration count, jewelers count, and fusing count. These items are all worth currency, but are not as liquid as having chaos.

Item value liquidity is the issue here. You have to trade and convert these items into chaos. Before you know it, you will have enough pure chaos orbs to work with. You will not be rich, but you will be able to slowly gear up.

You don't really get rich in this game until at higher levels when you start finding better items. The items you find should be placed in your shop on the official POE forums. This is much better than spamming items for sale in trade window, because your shop is working 24/7.

When you find a great item, instead of using it yourself, put it up for sale. Place it in your shop and make a thread specifically for it. You do this to gage interest in your item. Then you can estimate its value and how much you can get for it.

Use the following website: "poe.xyz.is" to find gear. It is worth it!

Cast on Damage Taken is also 8 chaos.

Edit: I also have a Portal gem and I have no idea how much that one is worth, but I'm assuming at least 8 chaos by what I've seen in trade chat.

Cast on Damage Taken is also 8 chaos.

Edit: I also have a Portal gem and I have no idea how much that one is worth, but I'm assuming at least 8 chaos by what I've seen in trade chat.

A portal gem is a tricky one because while supply is low, demand is also low because the gem doesn't have much utility. The cast time is way too slow, and there's an over abundance of portal scrolls to begin with.

I'd price a portal gem at 2 chaos. GMP and chain use to be valued at 8 chaos as well, but their value dipped due to damage output negatively affected by those gems.

LAMBO

The lightning trap guy in the scepter of god finally got me. I couldn’t do anything against it, didn’t see him coming, was dead in one second and my lighting was capped. Oh well think I’ll take a break for a while, maybe I’ll make a summoner some time.

Kettch

It's more of a vanity item than something really useful, because it's much slower to cast than a scroll. It's one of the few drop-only gems, though.

Also saves you from having to use Portal Scrolls, which while cheap, does build up over time if you use them a lot.

Could someone please sell me a life gain on hit gem? I give up trying to buy one in game, must have asked 20 times during the day in trade/global noone ever responds.
I'm in act 3 on cruel and enemy damage is starting to get way too high despite capped resist and 1600 armor
I'm basically only getting by on sheer damage right now.

I'm not a pro at this game but it sounds like you could easily fix your problem if you threw spammy a wand ability like power siphon, and gave it LMP, life on hit and mayyybe pierce?

That should allow you to face tank huge groups of mobs. At least that's how my Lightning Arrow archer works so I assume the principal should remain for you.

I am using Power Siphon with LMP and Critical Strike chance + Critical Strike damage, in a 4-link.

If I get a 5, I suppose life on hit/Life Leech would be dope.

Dammit, WTB 5-link.

Clydefrog

What is this Explosive Arrow you guys talk about? I have been using Frenzy / Ice Shot / Rain of Arrows exclusively for like.. ever.

shit's really starting to hit the fan in Act 3 Cruel. I mean, it's getting tough.

Boken

Banned
yesterday was a good day.

cast on damage taken
karui amulet
220 damage axe @ level 25
that chaos damage+phys damage ring.
blood magic

pity it all went to my spectral throwing girlfriend.

reave is sooo slow. im practically a clarity bot right now.

Sarcasm

Could someone please sell me a life gain on hit gem? I give up trying to buy one in game, must have asked 20 times during the day in trade/global noone ever responds.
I'm in act 3 on cruel and enemy damage is starting to get way too high despite capped resist and 1600 armor
What act town did you ask in? What difficulty?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I need to get back to this. Has the game revamped the quest system to show what the party has/hasn't done and has parties stopped rushing through acts when I want to take in the sights on normal yet? D:

KKRT00

What league are You in?
Its really easy to get, i think shadow gets it from merveil cave quest.

Just finished Normal for the first time with a Dual-blade Duelist. I think my character is too squishy as the last boss took about 15 'runs' to kill, though. I'm probably going to try a good Scion build before I advance with my Duelist.

Suffice to say that I'm addicted.

muu

What league are You in?
Its really easy to get, i think shadow gets it from merveil cave quest.

looked it up and it looks like Duelist and Marauder get it for merveil reward. Might have to do some low-lv runs, I do like that gem...

zon

Woooo I finally have real internet! I celebrated by starting a character in Nemesis, currently lvl 27. :)

What does blood magic gems cost in Nemesis right now?

V_Arnold

I went tonight to Piety with my friend, he got a unique map (the horde mode one). I was amazed by that.

We decided to run again. No uniques. Then once more.
Then BAM: a unique map dropped again, for me. This time, it was the Pyramid, no mobs only chests.

Inside that, I found a great upgrade chest and 2 worthless uniques. Was SLIGHTLY disappointed.

Then, after all this, a trash mob dropped an ilvl68 Quill Rain on me. is that a sign, my PoE Lord? I have explosion arrow, I have +13% faster projectiles, I have attack speed, increased area of effect, everything is ready for that.

Rufus

Time to blow shit up.

I found Bones of Ullr recently. Been wanting to make a summoner for a while now. Been thinking of incorporating Cast on Crit with Cold Snap. Already have decent wands for that... Hm, hm, hm.

In other news, Devourers are still scary.

Top Bottom