• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Kammie

Here's a question that I don't know if someone else will be able to answer.

There was a blue wolf pelt that dropped with 206 Evasion. But I didn't like the slots on it. So I waited till a white one dropped, and then I used an Orb of Transmutation on it... but the Evasion stat ended up being 126 or so (it didn't change when I used the orb). Both items were 0% quality.

How does this work? Do drops have the possibility of having different base stats, or does the Transmutation orb have the ability to change those stats?

If I look at the Path of Exile wiki, it says the base evasion stat on it is 130.

Here's a question that I don't know if someone else will be able to answer.

There was a blue wolf pelt that dropped with 206 Evasion. But I didn't like the slots on it. So I waited till a white one dropped, and then I used an Orb of Transmutation on it... but the Evasion stat ended up being 126 or so (it didn't change when I used the orb). Both items were 0% quality.

How does this work? Do drops have the possibility of having different base stats, or does the Transmutation orb have the ability to change those stats?

If I look at the Path of Exile wiki, it says the base evasion stat on it is 130.

Each item has a base stat. You can use armor scraps to raise the defensive value on an item.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Armourer%27s_Scrap

You can also give your items extra abilities with Orbs of transmutation for the cheap way to do it. There stuff like gives 50% evasion rating or just adds extra evasion to an item.

http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/prefixmod
http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/suffixmod

Kammie

Each item has a base stat. You can use armor scraps to raise the defensive value on an item.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Armourer%27s_Scrap

You can also give your items extra abilities with Orbs of transmutation for the cheap way to do it. There stuff like gives 50% evasion rating or just adds extra evasion to an item.

http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/prefixmod
http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/suffixmod
Yep, that I know.

However, what threw me off was that the magic wolf pelt that I found as a drop had over 200 evasion and 0% quality. While the white one I upgraded to magic quality had about 130. I know I'm not crazy because I was staring at it for a while scratching my head.

(Edit: I also don't believe it was an extra stat at the bottom, since the evasion rating I'm referring to is the base stat at the top)

A little while ago I saw a white and a rare of the same weapon that had the exact same stats. So I don't know what happened there.

Finished Act 1. Game is better than at the start, but it still feels very kludgy. The gameplay rhythm just doesn't feel quite right. Maybe a different class would suit me better, but I don't know if I would want to suffer through the early game again. Part of the problem I think was that I didn't get a TP scroll until something like 90-120 minutes minutes in which is just ridiculous.

Some things still seem very much beta, which can be distracting at times.

When do the maps start dropping by the way? Only higher difficulties/last act?

Oh and I got 2 uniques in my play today (not useful to my character though), which is certainly faster than my first Legendary in D3 (which was over 100 hours in I think). So props for that.

Card Boy

Banned
Its times like these where i get salty about PoEs loot system.

hDwxo.png

I have had this axe since level 23 and haven't found anything close to good and I'm level 39, almost 40. It takes me like 4-6 hits to kill a single enemy normally and i have to use my skills to do any real damage. I don't even have the loot to trade for something better. I am a blood magic 2 hander resolute technique marauder, so swords are pretty useless as they have accuracy stats.

I'm doing Cruel Hillock runs in the hope of getting something, i can't even get a decent magic find ring out of the vendor either.

Have you tried using an Alchemy orb? I tried using one for the first time the other day and got an amaaaaazing rare sword. The stats just blew away everything I had, lol. Just used a high DPS normal sword I bought off a vendor, too!

Card Boy

Banned
Have you tried using an Alchemy orb? I tried using one for the first time the other day and got an amaaaaazing rare sword. The stats just blew away everything I had, lol. Just used a high DPS normal sword I bought off a vendor, too!

I don't have anything above a Fusing, i have had terrible drops on my Dominion play-through. My armour is just as bad.

edit: just killed a rouge exile, all blue items lol what a joke.

Gothos

I have had this axe since level 23 and haven't found anything close to good and I'm level 39, almost 40. It takes me like 4-6 hits to kill a single enemy normally and i have to use my skills to do any real damage. I don't even have the loot to trade for something better. I am a blood magic 2 hander resolute technique marauder, so swords are pretty useless as they have accuracy stats.

I'm doing Cruel Hillock runs in the hope of getting something, i can't even get a decent magic find ring out of the vendor either.

Craft! Looking at PoE site decent 2H axe/sword around lvl 39 is:

1. Shadow Axe, 49-73 DMG, 1.2 attack speed, lvl 33
2. Footman Sword, 42-70 DMG, 1.35 Att. speed, lvl 40

Now, don't use alchemy orbs on them. Look for them at vendors, buy one of those, use Blacksmith Whetstones to upgrade their quality to 20% (should be 5 Whetstones) and you already have better weapon than your using. Now, use Orb of Transmutation to upgrade them to magic quality and then use couple of Orbs of Alterations to get "XX% Increased Physical Damage". It's very easy and effective way to get better weapons. Just look here: http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/weapon you got all the info you need.
And don't be afraid to use sword even if you have Resolute Tchq. - what it has to do with you using weapon with better damage? Nothing :)

Tom Penny

hDwxo.png

I've never had that problem but I have a 4 Link Unique that's better than what you have PM me @ Badassbiaatch

zon

Got a greater multiple projectiles, about 8 mana leech per hit from items , some better mana flasks and now the quill rain is working out better.
It's pretty fun to gather up several groups of enemies and blow them all away, this spec seems to work well in groups too.

When using quill rain, what do you normally do for single target dmg ? (bosses without adds etc), Im using poison arrow atm and it works ok but wondering if there's any better option.

difficulty really goes up at the end of act 3, the gardens were kicking my ass solo.

it seems rather difficult to find the items you need by chance, I ended up just buying them from the vendor and upgrading them myself till I found something good.

Kind of with this game had a sort of starter pack where you spend 20 euros or w/e and get a discount on char slots/stash tabs etc, seems like I'll end up buying a whole lot of stash tabs.

How many character slots do you get by default?

I've seen the number 24 mentioned, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Finished the campaign on normal (last boss is a pain and a damage sponge)

Unlocked the scrion now, anyone got a link to a fun build for scion? (not one for which you have to be rich to itemize:p)

Tom Penny

Oh to anybody new to the game. The easiest way to get currency is using the female vendor in act 2 or 3.

Buy Jewlers orbs.

4 alteration = 1 Jewler orb. 4 Jewler orbs = 1 fusing. Fusings are good currency for trading.

Sarcasm

Oh to anybody new to the game. The easiest way to get currency is using the female vendor in act 2 or 3.

Buy Jewlers orbs.

4 alteration = 1 Jewler orb. 4 Jewler orbs = 1 fusing. Fusings are good currency for trading.

Wait what!?

Gonna try this!

Also..its not 4x alt = JO..its 2x alt = 1 JO!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Sorry to ask a question that has probably come up a thousand times but...

Is it really not possible to zoom the camera out? I'd like to get in to this but I just can't stand how claustrophobic it feels.

Kammie

Wow, the Dominus fight... I tried it solo and probably went through at least 20 portals.

Has anyone beaten him on hardcore solo? lol

Liked the ending credits, wasn't expecting that.

Edit: Even getting my ass handed to me at the Library. This is one of the most hardcore games I've ever played. T_T

Whooter

Is it really not possible to zoom the camera out? I'd like to get in to this but I just can't stand how claustrophobic it feels.

My scroll-wheel zooms the camera out. Not super far, but far enough.

Deadly

Wow, the Dominus fight... I tried it solo and probably went through at least 20 portals.

Edit: Even getting my ass handed to me at the Library. This is one of the most hardcore games I've ever played. T_T
I took the easy way out and gouped up for that fight. I died like 10+ times and said fuck it. That blood rain is bullshit.

Kammie

Been watching some hardcore videos of the Dominus fight.

So apparently the only way to do it is by logging out or teleporting constantly during the fight to refill the flasks in town. lol. There is just no possible way to do it without cheating.

tci

So apparently the only way to do it is by logging out or teleporting constantly during the fight to refill the flasks in town. lol. There is just no possible way to do it without cheating.
Not cheating, but yes. So far I haven't found a way myself, PLaying normal. though.

Got dc before killing him yesterday,... not played today

inky

That's not true. Either have good equipment (Life, armor, resists) or be a bit overleveled for the fight. Teleporting once or twice to refill is OK, but I wouldn't call that constantly. If you are managing the fight, your build and flasks properly you shouldn't run out of charges before the last phase of the fight. There's a ton of minions during the previous stages.

Melee have it rough tho, but that has always been the case.

Card Boy

Banned

I'm lucky I had Warlords Mark to use on his minions so killing them filled my Flasks pretty fast. I had cyclone with life gain on hit too lol.

Sarcasm

My scroll-wheel zooms the camera out. Not super far, but far enough.

Do you know how to unbind the middle button from zooming? It gets annoying zooming in by accident in the middle of a heated battle.

Kalnos

Banned
So, I got a +15 Spark and a +19 Shield Charge on Nemesis. Any idea what I could get out of these? I know Spark should be pretty valuable.

I started a Spectral Throw char and it's a ton of fun. I got lucky and a Geoffrey's Baptism dropped and I'm absurdly overpowered atm.

Kettch

Made it up to 65 now on Nemesis with my "fuck you lightning thorns" Incinerator. Pretty happy with that as a solo player, it's the furthest I've managed to get.

82% resistances and 63% spell block let's me finally laugh at those damn lightning casters. Blind and Iron Reflexes/Grace keeps me fairly safe against physical attacks, though I think I really need to get some aura passives for Determination as well.

Biggest issue I've run into is chaos damage, since I have no resistance at all on my gear, but thankfully it isn't too damaging. Oh, and chargers, since I don't think blind works after they start charging. Had some close calls there, as I'm not used to dodging out of the way of things.

zon

Made it up to 65 now on Nemesis with my "fuck you lightning thorns" Incinerator. Pretty happy with that as a solo player, it's the furthest I've managed to get.

82% resistances and 63% spell block let's me finally laugh at those damn lightning casters. Blind and Iron Reflexes/Grace keeps me fairly safe against physical attacks, though I think I really need to get some aura passives for Determination as well.

Biggest issue I've run into is chaos damage, since I have no resistance at all on my gear, but thankfully it isn't too damaging. Oh, and chargers, since I don't think blind works after they start charging. Had some close calls there, as I'm not used to dodging out of the way of things.

Incinerator? You mean the type that shoots one fireball, gets a mob burning and then ele prolif kicks in and everything melts?

Kammie

Seems GGG has fixed the connection issues: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/575351
I have to admit I always laughed when I got kicked out and I logged back in along with like 20 other people in town. Sounds great though, hopefully this sorts out the ping spike issues I've been having.

I really like the openness of the developer to talk about numbers. Players logged in, how many stash tabs they sold at a sale, how many were affected by disconnection issues... I don't know if other developers are like this, but I come from playing an MMO run by a shitty company that wouldn't even acknowledge servers were down when hundreds of people were complaining on the forums. I hope the game keeps growing, the developer deserves success.

Already bought a few items to support them, and when that cat goes on sale, he's mine!

Could anyone please link me to a good scion spectral throw build (maybe include some tips for what gems to use or stats to gear for :( )
I went straight for iron grip but now I have no idea how to build it, I'm afraid of putting in points willy nilly and not being able to get to some key passive since there is no respec

edit: woo found a portal gem, no more dogfood for my archer because all his monies go to teleport scrolls

Tom Penny

Could anyone please link me to a good scion spectral throw build (maybe include some tips for what gems to use or stats to gear for :( )
I went straight for iron grip but now I have no idea how to build it, I'm afraid of putting in points willy nilly and not being able to get to some key passive since there is no respec

edit: woo found a portal gem, no more dogfood for my archer because all his monies go to teleport scrolls

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/436 you go 2 hander I actual started like Kalnos above. If you an get a Geoffrey's Baptism it will serve you well for the 1st 2 acts. You can probably trade for one for like a chaos.

I used the cc=us URL trick to install Path of Exile via Steam. Silly region locks. I just hope linking my account doesn't bite me back.

Anyway, it's been a very long time since I last played. I see that the addition of Scion really altered my path. I was building a lightning crit summoner. Minion Instability and Chaos Innoc should be used. IIRC, my plan was to simply keep debuffing enemies with curses and shock (from spells and minions). I think I was also supposed to use Elemental Equilibrium so that once Minion Instability kicks in, the enemy's fire res is debuffed from the lightning spam.

I have 40 points to respec. How is this going?
40 points
81 points (full)

inky

I used the cc=us URL trick to install Path of Exile via Steam. Silly region locks. I just hope linking my account doesn't bite me back.

Hmm, I didn't know that worked. I have a guy on my friend list who wanted to install it but couldn't. Maybe it'll work for him too.

Sarcasm

Hmm, I didn't know that worked. I have a guy on my friend list who wanted to install it but couldn't. Maybe it'll work for him too.

Anyway, it's been a very long time since I last played. I see that the addition of Scion really altered my path. I was building a lightning crit summoner. Minion Instability and Chaos Innoc should be used. IIRC, my plan was to simply keep debuffing enemies with curses and shock (from spells and minions). I think I was also supposed to use Elemental Equilibrium so that once Minion Instability kicks in, the enemy's fire res is debuffed from the lightning spam.

I have 40 points to respec. How is this going?
40 points
81 points (full)

I had to do it..so did my couple friends.

Word of advice..I don't know if they fixed it but patch the non-steam version. Than when steam version is downloaded and ready..launch non-steam to do that unlock code thing THAN quit and start up the steam version.

garath

Well flew through normal difficulty with my 2h spectral throw scion. I died once the entire time. It was on dominus because I didn't know about his shield and blood rain. Pretty cool. On to cruel!

Make sure to finish the download before turning off your PC/Steam. The game disappears from the list if you didn't finish it. Restarting the install deletes all the download progress. Pausing is still OK.

Kettch

Incinerator? You mean the type that shoots one fireball, gets a mob burning and then ele prolif kicks in and everything melts?

Nah, I'm using the Incinerate skill. At the moment I have Greater Multiple Projectiles, Projectile Speed, Blind and Life Leech/Fire Penetration (depending on what I need) on my 5 link.

Using 3 uniques that I bought with the currency I found along the way, Stone of Lahzwar, Cybil's Paw and Saffell's Frame. Think I might need to switch out the amulet for Eye of Chayula though for the stun immunity.

Kammie

I really like how in this game, skill modifications give you breakthrough "moments."

Lightning Arrow + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Fork suddenly invalidated my whole playstyle! This thing is so fast that Rain of Arrows and traps were suddenly too slow by comparison and not worth using, since this attack lets me keep enemies at bay.

And then I got the 30% Lightning damage node, and suddenly I'm obliterating things.

And then I got the Multiple Traps skill... and suddenly they're viable again and I can kite things pretty much indefinitely.

Really awesome.

One thing I'm looking forward to is a better way to manage my mana. When I linked LMP and Fork to both Lightning Arrow and Poison Arrow, it screwed with the mana consumption. Before, I used to spam PA, but now I can only do it five times before running out. I really want to try to incorporate it into my style and not abandon it, so I think I may settle for less skills overall, but link it to the same gems along with Reduced Mana on a different piece of gear. A perfect five-link piece of gear seems like a dream right now. T_T

Anyway, is there a spot left open in the guild? It looks like I'm going to be sticking around, so I may as well join. Character is Nostique.

spirity

One thing I'm looking forward to is a better way to manage my mana. When I linked LMP and Fork to both Lightning Arrow and Poison Arrow, it screwed with the mana consumption. Before, I used to spam PA, but now I can only do it five times before running out. I really want to try to incorporate it into my style and not abandon it, so I think I may settle for less skills overall, but link it to the same gems along with Reduced Mana on a different piece of gear. A perfect five-link piece of gear seems like a dream right now. T_T.

Blood magic is also an option, depending on your hp pool.

Top Bottom