• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Rufus

dont EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER fight the orchard map boss.
Haha, yeah. He's still kinda scary even though they nerfed the damage of his emergence - wave, or whatever it is. Getting clipped by that slow fireball is rough.

Btw, the stash tab bundle is on sale, 110 points, so a little over ten bucks.

Kammie

dont EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER fight the orchard map boss.
I did a double-boss run the other day. It was pretty fun! (didn't die)

I finally got a level 20 mana gem set up on my Alpha's Howl, so after about two weeks of somewhat casual farming, I can finally run three auras. Feels great.

One of the things I'm liking about endgame is that my gems are almost all at level 20, so I'll be able to use the GCP recipe... which grants some INSANE bonuses in some cases. I'm currently addicted to attack speed, I run Haste as my third aura and have Faster Attacks on Frenzy/LA. When my six Frenzy charges are up, Frenzy does 4.41 attacks per second and LA 3.41.

When I get the gem quality to 20%, these are the boosts I'm gonna have:

Faster Attacks - 10% attack speed
LMP/GMP - 10% attack speed
Chain - 20% projectile speed
Frenzy - +0.35% increased attack speed per Frenzy charge PER 1% QUALITY.... so with 6 charges, that's 2.1% speed per quality, and 20% quality gives 42% higher attack speed.

I mean, it's gonna be nuts...!

I currently can't play without either Haste or Faster Attacks, even if I sacrifice power. The game feels like it's in slow motion. Getting these things to 20% is gonna ruin the game for me.

Edit: Got my first exalt drop! Ledge map.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Ok, I haven't played this in 6 months so I have a full skill refund and some decent but not great items at level 76. I was LA ranger so looking along those lines and playing around with the passive tree a bit. I can't remember - does "increased elemental damage" apply to my weapon damage? I know "increased elemental damage with weapons" does but unsure if that more general category only applies to spells.

V_Arnold

Ok, I haven't played this in 6 months so I have a full skill refund and some decent but not great items at level 76. I was LA ranger so looking along those lines and playing around with the passive tree a bit. I can't remember - does "increased elemental damage" apply to my weapon damage? I know "increased elemental damage with weapons" does but unsure if that more general category only applies to spells.

Increased elemental damage indeed raises all your damage with that element, including the one contained on your weapon. In that regard, the "increased elemental damage with weapons" is more restrictive.

Special C

I think this game has finally done it. I haven't been able to Scratch that Diablo 2 itch in a decade. Not Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Titan Quest, or even Diablo 3. But this is easily the best Diablo-ish game I've played since D2.

I think this game has finally done it. I haven't been able to Scratch that Diablo 2 itch in a decade. Not Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Titan Quest, or even Diablo 3. But this is easily the best Diablo-ish game I've played since D2.

Welcome to the darkside.

Kiss your life goodbye.

V_Arnold

Yes, it is. In some ways, it is even better than D2 itself. Too bad that it lacks in the animation/fluidity department. That is the only flaw left. That and the gaping maw of Desynch.

zon

Yeah I've almost lost my groundslammer to desynch. It's inexcusable that it can fuck up a character that stands still when he attacks.

Kammie

Lately the desync is even worse than usual. I have it happen at least 2-3 times a day that I'm standing still facetanking as a ranger, and I teleport magically like 20 feet ahead into a room which I haven't even set foot in.

Had my second exalted orb drop today, this time in a Vaal Pyramid map I had alched. Lioneye's Glares seem expensive as hell on Standard, hopefully I can save up enough before the league reset. Stuff from my shop no longer sells, and I haven't seen a double or tri-res drop that I could make money from in ages.

V_Arnold

Yeah I've almost lost my groundslammer to desynch. It's inexcusable that it can fuck up a character that stands still when he attacks.

And the worst thing is that people will come in and claim that you can plan around desynch and totally have it not affect your gameplay. And deep down, you just KNOW that they are affected by it, just do not care that much, or choose to ignore it.

Damn, I would make a lovechild out of D3's art team and netcode (cause there, even if you do 200 attacks per second and 800 crits, the servers do not crap out of you) and POE's gameplay designers. A match made in heavens - to be staying there, sadly. We have loothell instead.

KKRT00

Damn, I would make a lovechild out of D3's art team and netcode (cause there, even if you do 200 attacks per second and 800 crits, the servers do not crap out of you)

How many times will we debate the same thing? :> There is tons of desync in D3 too, there always has been and always will be. Try Monk dash when Elite is rooting You, its the closest situation to hard desync PoE's problems, You'll see that You'll get teleported back after a brief second. PoE has the same problem, but sometimes dozens times per second, not once every 6-7 seconds and only from rare mobs.

And the worst thing is that people will come in and claim that you can plan around desynch and totally have it not affect your gameplay. And deep down, you just KNOW that they are affected by it, just do not care that much, or choose to ignore it.

Damn, I would make a lovechild out of D3's art team and netcode (cause there, even if you do 200 attacks per second and 800 crits, the servers do not crap out of you) and POE's gameplay designers. A match made in heavens - to be staying there, sadly. We have loothell instead.

Ummm D3's netcode is that you get hit no matter what your client says.

That's fucking worse.

V_Arnold

Ummm D3's netcode is that you get hit no matter what your client says.

That's fucking worse.

Nooope. Not only is that not true, the situation is even more improved on ROS. Again: whether a mob will hit you with a binary attack is a setting, a variable, not something hardcoded into the engine. If they were to port PoE, everything would hit when it would hit.

The difference is that D3 has the infrastructure to not crap out when you try something like Cyclone+Multistrike or cast on crit discharge or melee splash domination with Carcass Jack etc etc.

(Not like you can avoid certain things even if you see them coming on POE either, like the lightning novas/bombs around you - unless you anticipate it, which is an FGC skill, not an arpg one.)

Valravn

Fricking hell, that was a tough fight. But i finally managed to kill the final boss, Dominus. A bit annoying that you have to kill all the mini-bosses again if you die. But that is also what makes Path of Exile so awesome.

On to cruel difficulty!

KKRT00

The difference is that D3 has the infrastructure to not crap out when you try something like Cyclone+Multistrike or cast on crit discharge or melee splash domination with Carcass Jack etc etc.

But in D3 You always hit and You never get stunned, so they avoid tons of problems from PoE.

Kammie

Well, I died five times, but I can finally say I beat a double unique boss Spider Lair map.

(Word of advice: Don't do it)

RS4-

Wait what, D3 doesn't have desync?

Sounds like my D3 isn't the same that others have been playing because I've experienced it.

TheFatOne

Hit level 74 on Nemesis. Still want to grab Influence and some health and mana nodes before doing maps. I also want to upgrade my wand. My EK damage without hatred is only 2.5k. Still have 3 more levels of EK to go, and with a better wand I should hit 3.5k or close to it. Sitting at 3.7k health, 7k armor with grace,and I can run a level 17 artic armor. I'm just going to keep farming lunaris and Piety for upgrades and currency. Once I have enough I'm going to upgrade my gear and hit maps. Building up a small base of maps in the mean time.

TheFatOne

How do you guys move around with arctic armor?

20% movement speed boots, and lightning warp with faster casting, and reduced duration. The real killer for artic armor is the mana regen requirements for high levels, but artic armor is ridiculous at high levels. Also, I have a quick silver flask of adrenaline.

Nooope. Not only is that not true, the situation is even more improved on ROS. Again: whether a mob will hit you with a binary attack is a setting, a variable, not something hardcoded into the engine. If they were to port PoE, everything would hit when it would hit.

(Not like you can avoid certain things even if you see them coming on POE either, like the lightning novas/bombs around you - unless you anticipate it, which is an FGC skill, not an arpg one.)

What? HAHAHA. I watched RoS streams and it's still the same. Streamers try to get away with Crusader Pony and still got hit being miles away. I saw Kripp get Desync too.

Get real.

PoE, I can dodge Brutus hook, Vaal smash, even dodge Piety's fire form if I have enough movement speed. Blizzard themselves stated they designed their game so that when an attack starts, it is guaranteed to hit on you.

J. Bravo

20% movement speed boots, and lightning warp with faster casting, and reduced duration. The real killer for artic armor is the mana regen requirements for high levels, but artic armor is ridiculous at high levels. Also, I have a quick silver flask of adrenaline.

that's more of what I was talking about because at lvl 20 it uses 191 mana per second while moving. is the answer to just stack mana regen?

TheFatOne

that's more of what I was talking about because at lvl 20 it uses 191 mana per second while moving. is the answer to just stack mana regen?

That and discipline. Discipline increases your ES, and energy shield. I also run clarity which obviously increases your mana regen. So to go into a little more detail. I have a 83% increase mana regen amulet, 41% increase from my wand, and a 26% increase from one of my rings. Both clarity and discipline are at 17. Right now running discipline and clarity my regen is at 211.I have eldritch battery, and a few mana reduction nodes. So I can run discipline, grace, and clarity. Which means I can run a level 18 artic armor.

Edit: I also have a few nodes that increase the effect of my auras. Once I get influence I will get an additional 26% increase in my auras, and a 5% reduction in mana cost. The one item I would kill for is alpha howl.

V_Arnold

What? HAHAHA. I watched RoS streams and it's still the same. Streamers try to get away with Crusader Pony and still got hit being miles away. I saw Kripp get Desync too.

You watched streams, I play both. D3 netcode is better than POE's. It might not be still optimal (and again: the GAMEPLAY has nothing to do with what I was saying), but it is BETTER.

There are no forbidden builds in Diablo 3 for fear of Desynch. There are no "how to be a melee if you do not want to die to desynch" guides out there. There are no "forbidden" skills unless you love playing catchup with your own reality in D3. I do not care how GGG fixes it, I just hope they do. Even if it means having to pay a subscription fee for the game, cause even then, I would eat it up gladly.

Kammie

This past week I've started running alch'd 67 and 68 maps, more than anything to test out my build.

Man... these things are brutal. Something like Elemental Weakness and Multiple Projectiles with the carrion queen in Arcade means that if I'm not careful with positioning, I can get killed in an eyeblink. At this point I've probably died enough times this week to level at least twice. :(

I've had to adapt in some ways, which I like. For example, I've started using Summon Totem/Exploding Dead when necros are around, otherwise the ones from 68 maps onwards just own me. But more than anything, I just need to raise my DPS a bit... waiting to see if some guy logs on so I can buy myself a new bow.

Is anyone looking for a mapping buddy? I'm not in a guild and have no one to play with, and I think at this point it would be beneficial to run things with at least one person. I'm normally on after 6 PM EST on weekdays.

Dahbomb

Speaking of strictly in terms of desync issues... PoE is way worse than D3. High mobility builds are not even viable in PoE hardcore mode.

TheFatOne

Speaking of strictly in terms of desync issues... PoE is way worse than D3. High mobility builds are not even viable in PoE hardcore mode.

Yup the desync in PoE is absolutely horrific. Even with a tanky build if I desync against certain mobs I'm fucked. I'm trying to play right now and I'm having the hardest time playing. I nearly lost my character to desync on a map. Shit is ridiculous, and I know if I lose this character in HC due to desync I'm probably going to quit the game for a few months like the last time I lost a character.

Edit:The biggest issue I have with desync is that it has remainded consistently horrendous since the beginning with no sign of any real improvement. At this point I don't think it's ever going to be fixed especially if you play during peak hours.

V_Arnold

Its not better, it has less check-ups.

It is much, much better. The server instrastructure is much better. I honestly cant believe how you guys cannot concede this point. Does it hurt that much to let one point go out of all the different points in "what makes a good arpg"?

POE is the superior in the vast majority of aspects, this is not one of them. I cant believe we even have to "debate" this.

Tell me about it. My main char in Domination was becoming unusable because I relied on dodge. It is possible to survive that way in normal situations, but once every ~minute or so (depending on how often did I use leap slam or just ran fast), when you are desynched back to the middle of a mob group where you are checked against one or two attacks from all mobs there, you are pretty much guaranteed to hit - and be dead cause low phys red.

It is a sad way to die, and I lost many levels to it.

Cipherr

It is much, much better. The server instrastructure is much better. I honestly cant believe how you guys cannot concede this point. Does it hurt that much to let one point go out of all the different points in "what makes a good arpg"?

POE is the superior in the vast majority of aspects, this is not one of them. I cant believe we even have to "debate" this.

There is no debate. POE is objectively worse at this. Anyone reasonable will admit as much. Its a minor blemish, but it is a blemish and D3 is absolutely better in that regard. Period.

What you are seeing is people trying to equate "D3 has better netcode" into "D3 never ever has latency or sync problems" in order to make a conversation out of it. But thats not whats being said. The sync issues in PoE are a real problem.

KKRT00

Seriously how can You even judge when D3 just does not calculate and sync as many things as PoE.

Make PoE less complex in combat and then compare or make D3 more complex and compare. As i said, prove me that D3 does not desync same as PoE with Monk dash while being rooted, because this the most one-to-one situation to PoE stun desyncs.

TheFatOne

Wow today is my day. I did the tropical island map and had a vaults of atziri drop. Once I finished that I checked the vendor since I leveled and the vendor had a 6 link es chest piece. RNG gods are good today.

Edit: So damn happy. This is exactly why I check every vendor after I level. How much do 6 links got for(in Nemesis)? I'm not sure if I should try and craft a good six link or just sell it.

Tom Penny

Wow today is my day. I did the tropical island map and had a vaults of atziri drop. Once I finished that I checked the vendor since I leveled and the vendor had a 6 link es chest piece. RNG gods are good today.

Edit: So damn happy. This is exactly why I check every vendor after I level. How much do 6 links got for(in Nemesis)? I'm not sure if I should try and craft a good six link or just sell it.

You got a 6L from a vendor 0_0 I have a feeling I will never get one in game.

TheFatOne

You got a 6L from a vendor 0_0 I have a feeling I will never get one in game.

Yea that's the luckiest thing to happen to me in this game. I'm just going to craft the 6 link instead of trading it. I'm going to try and get the perfect roll. Looking for Life, Resists, and high ES.

Kammie

3rd exalt drop last night! All within like two weeks. Not bad.

Is there any way to increase the size of your backpack? I hate not being able to pick up everything as I get maybe 6 items and I have to portal back to town
Nope. You'll get used to it, though. Pick up only yellows or blues if they're of superior quality (you can sell 20% combined quality weapons for whetstones or armor for armourer's scraps). And linked GBR since they sell for a chromatic.

Cipherr

3rd exalt drop last night! All within like two weeks. Not bad.

Nope. You'll get used to it, though. Pick up only yellows or blues if they're of superior quality (you can sell 20% combined quality weapons for whetstones or armor for armourer's scraps). And linked GBR since they sell for a chromatic.

Im not sure what the obsession is in loot games with the devs making the fucking inventory microscopic. Its especially annoying when rerolling and humongous fucking quest items in your bag.... Its like.... You guys couldnt make quest items take up a single tile? Really? You want me to lug around these two things taking up all this space?

Jesus.... Its an ARPG, give us 4 or 5 pages of bagspace inventory for fucks sake. Let us play a hour or two without having to go back to fucking town or let half decent stuff rot. Seriously makes my goddamn blood boil. Fuck Blizzard and GGG for this shit.

I'm currently streaming maps with my tri-curse, 5 aura low-life Shavronne's fireball crit witch.

I pretty much melt through mobs. My stream is here: http://www.twitch.tv/plasticpassion

Bah, guess I missed it.

tastas

Neo Member
Yay, I'm in the guild! I've been putting in some new stuff in the guild chest and taking some for myself since last night. It is good to have some place to put nice items that I can't get myself to sell. Better than giving them away, which I was doing before. :)

Perkel

Banned
Patch 1.0.5 said:
We're on schedule to deploy content update 1.0.5 on Thursday, January 9, NZ time (soon after the one-week race ends). This news post outlines roughly what you should expect from the patch.

We're expecting update 1.0.5 to include at least the following:
-A new support gem, Enlighten (part of the Enhance/Empower series).
-Several new microtransactions, including the animated Medusa Helmet Skin.
-More vendor recipes to hunt for. There's one that's going to be very useful for high level players.
-New Unique items, including (most likely) two designed by Brother Laz.
-New achievements.
-Balance tweaks to some skills such as Flame Totem, Punishment and Freeze Mine. The final list may be different though.

1.0.5 isn't a particularly large patch, because it is being made during a period where most of our team have been away for Christmas/New Year. A slew of larger changes will come in 1.0.6.

I'm sorry about the late news post - I'm on my last day of vacation before I travel home and it took a long time to find cellphone internet coverage so that I could post the news!

new s skill

Rufus

Hard to get excited about those, since they don't do anything at level 1 and it takes for-fucking-ever to level them.

-Balance tweaks to some skills such as Flame Totem, Punishment and Freeze Mine. The final list may be different though.
Goodbye perma-boss-freeze builds. Is Punishment finally going to be useful?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I re-installed this last night. I think I'm going to give it another shot.

Questions for some of you guys who have been playing a while:

1) Are there some damage types that by building around, you simply cannot progress? I'm not too learned on everything at the moment, but I know you can build classes around ice, fire, blood, etc. Do you run into ice or physical immune enemies that make your build worthless?

2) Is there a class that plays like a Necromancer or Witch Doctor (from D2 and D3)? Typically, summon builds become worthless later on in ARPGs, but it'd be neat if that were viable...

3) What about super high dodge/evasion + crit builds? A class similar to an assassin from the Ragnarok series is what I'm thinking.

4) Kind of a super general question, but one thing that pushed me away last time was how it didn't feel like your starting class mattered too much. Like, yeah, it starts you at a different point on the mastery tree, but since you don't have class skills (everything comes in the form of gems, right?), no single class feels too terribly unique. So my question is how do you go about building around that? Do you just say, "I'm going to make a character that deals lots of projectile damage" and go Ranger? Or, "I want to make a class like a Wizard and cast spells" and make a Witch (or whatever class is similar)?

I appreciate the help. The passive tree is SUPER daunting and kind of turns me away from wanting to craft my own builds right now, but I'm going to try and give it a shot again. The game felt fun when I was playing it during beta, but I want to see if I can get more out of it this time around.

KKRT00

1. No, there are no immunities
2. Yes, Witch class has the most summons passives near her tree, but You can make any class as a summoner
3. Possible, but not on hardcore mode
4. Classes are more like starting points for Your build. Every class can do everything, but some are better than others, because of their starting passives and location in the tree.
Also, they vary with base amount of frenzy, endurace, power charges.

I'm currently streaming maps with my tri-curse, 5 aura low-life Shavronne's fireball crit witch.

I pretty much melt through mobs. My stream is here: http://www.twitch.tv/plasticpassion

Well, I had to stop the stream because it caused my PC to crash when I entered the maps. I also was lagging and died a few times.

I guess PoE can't handle streaming? Have you guys encountered any problems with this? I also noticed there was about a 20 second delay to my stream.

Rufus

Do you run into ice or physical immune enemies that make your build worthless?
Nothing will ever be outright immune to a damage type. There is a boss that I can think of who uses Immortal Call, which makes him immune to physical damage but only for a short time. It's not like D2 in that regard. Only boosted resistances, no outright immunities.

2) Is there a class that plays like a Necromancer or Witch Doctor (from D2 and D3)? Typically, summon builds become worthless later on in ARPGs, but it'd be neat if that were viable...
Yes, typically Witches will be Summoners because of their proximity to the relevant nodes. Summoners are very viable (look into Burning Miscreation Spectres), but the leveling curve is reversed. They're a pain early on because your zombies are very fragile at lower levels, so typically people level using other skills our builds as they level up their zombies, spectres (like revives, but without a time limit) and other relevant gems, then switch into full Summoner around 65 when their zombies can take a beating.

3) What about super high dodge/evasion + crit builds? A class similar to an assassin from the Ragnarok series is what I'm thinking.
Viable, but you will need a huge life pool to don't die to the hits that do get through your defenses. I have a dodge tank on the current 4-month hardcore league. Maxed block chance (random, but you take no damage if you block), high evasion (works like armour in D2, only less random), acrobatics (dodes attacks completely, but also random I believe). She does shit damage right now though because I concentrated on defense and am only now pickung up damage nodes, so...

So my question is how do you go about building around that? Do you just say, "I'm going to make a character that deals lots of projectile damage" and go Ranger? Or, "I want to make a class like a Wizard and cast spells" and make a Witch (or whatever class is similar)?
More or less. Think about what you want to do, scope it out on the tree and then pick whatever class can get the nodes you need most effectively.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I guess since I haven't touched my Ranger in a while, so when I came back, I had a full respect available. Been playing with a poison arrow build and REALLY enjoying it. My only issue right now is that I have basically no skill gems available to me. Are they relatively rare drops?

Top Bottom