• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They are pretty rare, yes. Most of your gems you get through quests but you can always trade for them, too. Early gems are easy to mule.

Check this page to see what you get and when:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Quest_Rewards

They've introduced a bunch of new skills that you probably haven't seen.

Oh this is pretty awesome, thanks. Looks like I can pick up a few gems I want by just making a new character and playing for 30 minutes or so, haha.

Kammie

Is there any solution to fighting those Sceptre of God bombers, the ones that put up a shield and you have to get all up on them to do any damage? What can I do as a ranged class?

I just died six times in a map to them. Granted, the mods were bad (I was fighting 3-4 rares at a time), but I'm mad, there was just no way to do anything. That's a TON of time spent on experience just down the drain due to a cheap-as-shit mob.

Maps are getting frustrating in that I have to pretty much alch them all, and play with a stunted character due to so many negative mods. Something like a Temporal Chains or Enfeeble map is just NOT fun, you take like 5 times as long to kill anything.

Also, the returns are just not worth it. I've kept track of 36 solo maps now. In that time, even though I got two exalt drops (which I realize most people won't get, so I'm not even really counting them), I've only gotten 3 chaos, 10 alch, and 7 scouring drops. I've gotten six shit uniques that won't even sell, probably no more than 5 pieces of gear that MAY sell for one Chaos if I'm lucky... and I'm supposed to be earning money not just to trade for stuff but to craft myself? Yeah, this is pretty broken if you're a solo player.

Here's my drops after 36 66-69 maps, if anyone is interested in a count:

Alts: 107
Augmentations: 63
Transmutation: 72
Chance: 18
Chromatics: 113
Jewellers: 104
Fusings: 27
Whetstones: 36
Armourers: 60
Chisels: 11
Glassblowers: 3
Alchs: 10
Scourings: 7
Regrets: 2
Chaos: 3
Blessed: 2
Exalts: 2

That's after a week of playing, between 5-8 hours a day.

Maps are so difficult to solo and run with mods that I can't even begin to think about using IIR/IIQ gear. So I'm pretty much stuck with these crap droprates unless they substantially improve on 70+ maps.... and I highly doubt that.

Rufus

Traps go through the shields. Explosive Arrow and Poison Arrow go through the shields, I think. Otherwise they're a pretty solid counter for ranged characters. I think they eventually lower their shields, but I could be wrong about that.

Temp Chains is indeed the worst mod ever. I have enough DPS on my main character to not worry about Enfeeble anymore (unless there's also extra life or phys resist, then it gets annoying). Temp Chains though. Never again. I'd rather run Minus Max Resists or Vulnerability than Temp Chains.

Also, as far as map drops go: Piety is a more effective use of time if you want to farm currency and items. Maps are for XP and high level base items, as far as I'm concerned. At around 85 though, leveling starts to slow down a LOT, even in maps, so I don't invest a lot of time into it. This is why I usually start an alt that point, rather than run maps all day. Maybe I'll push my Scion to 90 some day, but it seems unlikely.

Kammie

Traps go through the shields. Explosive Arrow and Poison Arrow go through the shields, I think. Otherwise they're a pretty solid counter for ranged characters. I think they eventually lower their shields, but I could be wrong about that.
Yeah, none of that is stuff I use or can implement with my current gear and links. :( Normally I can facetank (risky), but this was just beyond me. Just bad mods all around, and it seems these types spawn on the map often, so I'll just avoid +rare from now on.

Also, as far as map drops go: Piety is a more effective use of time if you want to farm currency and items. Maps are for XP and high level base items, as far as I'm concerned. At around 85 though, leveling starts to slow down a LOT, even in maps, so I don't invest a lot of time into it. This is why I usually start an alt that point, rather than run maps all day. Maybe I'll push my Scion to 90 some day, but it seems unlikely.
I've done somewhere between 20-30 Piety runs. I can't do any more, it's just mind-numbing. I've seen logs of what people who do tons of runs get, and it isn't worth it. Piety drops no longer sell, you just end up vendoring or doing the chaos recipe. If I had a melee armoured character who could leapslam to her in two minutes it'd be awesome, but I don't.

In any case, I think the endgame content--maps--should be viable for not only XP but currency as well. This design where people just farm Piety or Dominus all day long is pathetic. It's the type of thing you do in a game which has no endgame content, except that this game does--but it's not implemented properly, in fact it's almost locked out from common players. I really hope they fix this in the upcoming expansion, along with trade (Chris did mention on an interview this week that they're looking into a new system, and if I wasn't drunk, he said you'd be able to sell offline... but the interview's too long and I can't find the spot where he talks about it).

Tom Penny

Magic find Merveil runs is the quickest way I've ever got currency but it's boring. Grap all the rares, vendor for alts, then jewelers then fusings. Sell fusings for exalts..rinse and repeat. Zero XP though.

Kammie

Magic find Merveil runs is the quickest way I've ever got currency but it's boring. Grap all the rares, vendor for alts, then jewelers then fusings. Sell fusings for exalts..rinse and repeat. Zero XP though.
How many runs does it take you to get an exalt? And at what rate?

They're now going for 38 chaos on Domination. :/

TheFatOne

I've reached a point where I'm just done with this game. It's fun but I hate the stupid ass desync to much. I really only want to make two types of characters. A summoner, and a super fast melee marauder. Running a mostly stationary EK build at the moment, and the desync drives me nuts. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I make the maruader/melee character I want. Summoners just take to long for me in this game, and I don't feel like putting in the effort. Love the game hate the desync. Will probably come back and play this game over the summer to see how it's improved.

What league are you playing in?

KKRT00

Btw they posted some stats as a summary of 2013

We deployed 87 patches, ran over 1000 race events, posted 286 daily deals and 222 news posts.
Grinding Gear Games expanded from 20 people to 55! While our core development team doubled in size (to 35) we also scaled up our customer support department by a factor of ten.
Over 3.7 million new players signed up to play Path of Exile.
We hit a peak of almost 70,000 people playing Path of Exile at the same time. We expect to beat this record as we localise the game to more countries next year!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/733852

Tom Penny

How many runs does it take you to get an exalt? And at what rate?

They're now going for 38 chaos on Domination. :/

I just play in standard will work in any league. Takes like 3 minutes a run and you get like 5-9 rares per run I'd say. Not sure how many fusing you will get per hour.

I've reached a point where I'm just done with this game. It's fun but I hate the stupid ass desync to much.

Play a cyclone build like I do..desync is good times..I will never reach another level do to xp penalty :(

Started playing again, haven't played since september is there a guild going?

And it looks as if I buggered up my highest level char lvl71 CI dagger shadow, dies in the lvl66 zones pretty damn easily. Respecced him straight after the reset, big mistake.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A few questions now that I'm getting back into the swing of things...

1) Should I be bothering with recipes early on? I don't really understand them very well, so that's part of my hump...But I have been saving random rings and junk that I find, not sure if it's worth learning recipes to upgrade or whatever.

2) Kind of in that same respect, is it worth picking up anything but rare gear or better? I leave a LOT of normal and magic items on the ground.

3) Flasks...I'm a bit overwhelmed by them. Right now, I just have 2 HP and 3 Mana flasks. On the forums and YouTube, I see people with these crazy ass mega flasks with colors and funky shapes. What ARE those and how do I get them (and maybe I should also ask do I want them)?

4) I'm only level 26 or 27 with my Ranger, but I'm wondering...How do you level new characters efficiently? I started another character just to get a Flicker Strike gem, but MAN did that feel slow and gross. With leagues going on all the time, I'm SURE people know how to level a character from fresh to relatively high quickly. Any guides or tips on this?

5) What are the leagues for? I just play Standard right now because why not? Once I get a feel for things, it could be fun to try these group things, but I don't understand them or what they are.

6) Unrelated to the above, anyone in any active groups/guilds/whatever? I'd love to have other folks to talk to and play with at some point.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
A few questions now that I'm getting back into the swing of things...

1) Should I be bothering with recipes early on? I don't really understand them very well, so that's part of my hump...But I have been saving random rings and junk that I find, not sure if it's worth learning recipes to upgrade or whatever.

2) Kind of in that same respect, is it worth picking up anything but rare gear or better? I leave a LOT of normal and magic items on the ground.

3) Flasks...I'm a bit overwhelmed by them. Right now, I just have 2 HP and 3 Mana flasks. On the forums and YouTube, I see people with these crazy ass mega flasks with colors and funky shapes. What ARE those and how do I get them (and maybe I should also ask do I want them)?

4) I'm only level 26 or 27 with my Ranger, but I'm wondering...How do you level new characters efficiently? I started another character just to get a Flicker Strike gem, but MAN did that feel slow and gross. With leagues going on all the time, I'm SURE people know how to level a character from fresh to relatively high quickly. Any guides or tips on this?

5) What are the leagues for? I just play Standard right now because why not? Once I get a feel for things, it could be fun to try these group things, but I don't understand them or what they are.

6) Unrelated to the above, anyone in any active groups/guilds/whatever? I'd love to have other folks to talk to and play with at some point.
I'm no hardcore player but...
1) just important ones. Nothing too super good. The recipe page isn't very long to peruse

2) I tend to get the magic stuff earlier and then focus on rates later. There's a video showing how you can use currency items to get good gear. Correct colours and links on a white item are fucking awesome and same wig superior weapons. I tend to at least hover over and check those

3) only other ones are elemental flasks, speed flasks, armour flasks, hybrid flasks, and a few others. I tend to stuck to HP, hybrid, and speed.

4). Grind the ledge and the docks

5) nothing wrong with standard but I always go for the middle league. It's not hardcore so you don't lose your character, there are better drops and added gameplay twists, and you fight some AI exiles too I believe. Fun as hell.

6) there is a GAF one. You can solo the game no problem though.

My advice is not to start as a witch going summoner if you're a n00b. If you insist, try finding someone to co op with to take the pressure off.

Other than that, just play and learn, it's no hard to beat the firs difficulty if you get 75% resist of an element for certain bosses. Lightning is the biggest to get.

Kammie

Goodbye, Tabula Rasa, you shall be missed!

The other day I sold one of these without really paying attention to it, and the buyer asked me for the item level. I saw it mentioned in a build a few days later, so I read the description, and said, "Hey, this'll work for me!" After all, I have a Tabula and it's not like I'm even depending on any chest stats.

This thing is incredibly OP for a LA build. Basically, every time I crit with LA, all three charges fill up at once. It's definitely an item that I could build around and kick some ass with. Unfortunately, I don't have any extra power charges to profit from, but the difference is really noticeable.

Also, last patch they added buffs to increased Lightning, Cold, and Chaos damage gems. Since this chest can't be rolled too well for dex gems, I decided to try Blood Magic/Frenzy/Faster Attacks/Crit Damage/Added Chaos (old setup was using Blind/Added Fire in the last two spots). Wow, holy shit. Whereas before I had to sit and fire away at bosses and rares for a HUGE amount of time, now they literally melt when I pop Critical Weakness and a Diamond Flask. I just tested this on a 66 Dunes map, and the boss died in about 4 seconds, and all the rares in like 2-3 hits. That's the single biggest jump to my DPS I've seen in the entire game.

Only sad part is I had to give up the 6-link on the Tabula, which for LA was godly for survivability with LGOH/Faster Attacks. I've got half the money for a Lioneye's so far, so my next project will be to six-link it no matter what it takes.

Game can be frustrating with the crappy drop rates, lousy crafting, trading, etc, but jumps in gear like this are what keep you going!

Rufus

Be very careful around reflect from now on. I don't think you have to worry about single mobs (unless you have a lot of crit multi, which from now on is going to increase your damage most), but hitting a whole group could mean death.

Perkel

Banned
If you are kicked from POE guild just tell me. Currently guild is full and there are still people joining. I need to kick someone to get new member.

This means i need to find someone who is not playing game and since there are no stats i am kicking in blind. If you got kicked just PM me and i will add you.

Kammie

Be very careful around reflect from now on. I don't think you have to worry about single mobs (unless you have a lot of crit multi, which from now on is going to increase your damage most), but hitting a whole group could mean death.
Yeah, I'm afraid of this. lol. LA shouldn't be a problem with my 20% LGOH, and I think I'm ok with Frenzy so far (got 6% HP res per sec as well as 8% leech from gear).

Now when I get my Lioneye's... who knows! Leveling a Life Leech to max level just to be prepared.

KKRT00

If you are kicked from POE guild just tell me. Currently guild is full and there are still people joining. I need to kick someone to get new member.

This means i need to find someone who is not playing game and since there are no stats i am kicking in blind. If you got kicked just PM me and i will add you.

I have some PMs with guild invite requests, i'll add those people today.

I know, You can kick an account named Szakal for sure.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm no hardcore player but...
1) just important ones. Nothing too super good. The recipe page isn't very long to peruse

2) I tend to get the magic stuff earlier and then focus on rates later. There's a video showing how you can use currency items to get good gear. Correct colours and links on a white item are fucking awesome and same wig superior weapons. I tend to at least hover over and check those

3) only other ones are elemental flasks, speed flasks, armour flasks, hybrid flasks, and a few others. I tend to stuck to HP, hybrid, and speed.

4). Grind the ledge and the docks

5) nothing wrong with standard but I always go for the middle league. It's not hardcore so you don't lose your character, there are better drops and added gameplay twists, and you fight some AI exiles too I believe. Fun as hell.

6) there is a GAF one. You can solo the game no problem though.

My advice is not to start as a witch going summoner if you're a n00b. If you insist, try finding someone to co op with to take the pressure off.

Other than that, just play and learn, it's no hard to beat the firs difficulty if you get 75% resist of an element for certain bosses. Lightning is the biggest to get.

Thanks for the info. I'll try and get in the GAF guild. I'm not looking for help with anything, I'm just looking to have folks to chat with in game sometimes.

Also, you say "ledge and docks" for grinding. Where exactly is that? I'm really not familiar with most of the game yet, haha.

Kammie

I'd still be interested in joining the guild, if you guys need to add slots I can throw in a buck to cover my spot (too poor for anything else :( ).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the info. I'll try and get in the GAF guild. I'm not looking for help with anything, I'm just looking to have folks to chat with in game sometimes.

Also, you say "ledge and docks" for grinding. Where exactly is that? I'm really not familiar with most of the game yet, haha.
The ledge is in act one right after you get out of the first cave level. It's a ledge with slow moving skeletons and a totem red enemy.

The docks is in act 3 later in the game with skeletons and ghost dock workers. It's, I dunno, a dock. Hard to miss.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The ledge is in act one right after you get out of the first cave level. It's a ledge with slow moving skeletons and a totem red enemy.

The docks is in act 3 later in the game with skeletons and ghost dock workers. It's, I dunno, a dock. Hard to miss.

Oh, yeah - I'm actually just getting to the docks then. So folks farm these places early on or at later difficulties?

Rufus

Oh, yeah - I'm actually just getting to the docks then. So folks farm these places early on or at later difficulties?
There's no real need to farm until late cruel or merciless. Unless you really lack essential gear to meet resists or whatever, you don't need to bother farming in normal. I usually only farm a couple of levels in cruel Docks and later on in merciless Ledge, Fellshrine (kinda sucks these days tho), City of Sarn (rarely), Docks, Catacombs, depending on how smoothly things go until then.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

There's no real need to farm until late cruel or merciless. Unless you really lack essential gear to meet resists or whatever, you don't need to bother farming in normal. I usually only farm a couple of levels in cruel Docks and later on in merciless Ledge, Fellshrine (kinda sucks these days tho), City of Sarn (rarely), Docks, Catacombs, depending on how smoothly things go until then.
Yup pretty much. You don't need to grind on normal, but if you do for some reason then they're arguably the best places to do it.

So a few days after returning, got my only char a CI dual dagger shadow on standard into better shape, still squishy as hell though.

Unfortunately I'm basically at the point where I desperately need an Alpha's Howl to do anything. Without it I can't run 3 auras and being frozen is an utter utter bitch. So atm I have to run grace and discipline for just under 3k ES. Alpha Howl would allow me to add hatred to increase my dps by 35%, pretty spiffy.

So who wants to lend me 4 exalted orbs? (actually i might have enough currency for 1 of those)

I might try the same style on domination but starting as a scion, which is the starting class anyone wanting to build a CI dagger should be these days.

Kammie

So in an attempt to boost survivability without Faster Attacks on LA now that I don't have my Tabula, I got the Heart of Oak passive for a 30% chance to avoid being stunned. And then I used a bunch of regrets to basically take an alternate path across the tree and save a single skillpoint... and I found myself basically right by the Point Blank node.

So I decided to read what the distance penalty actually is like, since just hearing about it scared me away enough to never even look into it:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/402424

I mean, that's pretty ridiculous! Endgame is NOTHING but mobs running up to my face, so this keystone is basically a free 50% boost to my DPS. I tried it out a little bit and I'm one-shotting most mobs as they run up to me. With crit the damage output is pretty crazy. Very nice.

economy sucks in this game at the start. I am at the point it has become bearable. Would enjoy more if my internet did not suck (there are seconds, even minutes long cutouts all the time).

Btw they posted some stats as a summary of 2013

We deployed 87 patches, ran over 1000 race events, posted 286 daily deals and 222 news posts.
Grinding Gear Games expanded from 20 people to 55! While our core development team doubled in size (to 35) we also scaled up our customer support department by a factor of ten.
Over 3.7 million new players signed up to play Path of Exile.
We hit a peak of almost 70,000 people playing Path of Exile at the same time. We expect to beat this record as we localise the game to more countries next year!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/733852

Great to hear. The game must be successful financially if they can expand like that, but I'd love to get some more numbers. Like how much revenue has been generated by the supporter packs, how much Steam increased the player base, etc. The game was in the top 10 of Steam for months, and is now hovering around 13-15k players daily. Very impressive.

KKRT00

Great to hear. The game must be successful financially if they can expand like that, but I'd love to get some more numbers. Like how much revenue has been generated by the supporter packs, how much Steam increased the player base, etc. The game was in the top 10 of Steam for months, and is now hovering around 13-15k players daily. Very impressive.

Maybe they will post new summary before or on release of next expansion in 2 months.

I know that first supporter packs were bonkers in terms of revenue for them, they sold like 250+ of 1k$ packs :)

Valravn

Im still new to this game.

Im at cruel difficulty atm. I noticed that my Shadow now seems to have lower life all of a sudden. Its now 965, maybe its me but i swear i had much more life. It was in the thousands...

Group of mobs were not a problem. I cleared them with Ethereal Knives easily, now they easily kill me...

Rufus

Im still new to this game.

Im at cruel difficulty atm. I noticed that my Shadow now seems to have lower life all of a sudden. Its now 965, maybe its me but i swear i had much more life. It was in the thousands...

Group of mobs were not a problem. I cleared them with Ethereal Knives easily, now they easily kill me...
The passive tree was recently changed a bit. Affected characters usually get a free full re-spec if a node they'd take has changed or is (re)moved. You should have gotten a message about it when you started playing the affected character.

Kammie

Expansion in 2 months ?

Source ?
Source is everywhere. It's been mentioned by Chris on forums, Reddit, and interviews.

The "expansion" will apparently be some retooled systems/mechanics and stuff though, seems like we should have something new with regards to trading. Act 4 isn't included in this, it's expected to be out towards the end of the year.

KKRT00

Ok, i have an idea how to solve Guild Slots problem

Please write in Your Social description that You are active.
That way we will be able to see who log in into the game and who isnt.

And we will just kick people after without description :)

Perkel

Banned
Ok, i have an idea how to solve Guild Slots problem

Please write in Your Social description that You are active.
That way we will be able to see who log in into the game and who isnt.

And we will just kick people after without description :)

Good idea.

We need some ETA. I say 10th of january.

Valravn

The passive tree was recently changed a bit. Affected characters usually get a free full re-spec if a node they'd take has changed or is (re)moved. You should have gotten a message about it when you started playing the affected character.

Nope, didnt get a message. I also didn't get a full respec.

Rufus

Hm, that's strange then. Can't think of any issues that might be causing this. Are you sure you're wearing the same gear and everything?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got to Piety on Normal. First time ever fighting that boss...Yikes. I ended up quitting because I forgot to place a portal outside and died. Floor 2 reset and I said I'm done for the day.

Going to piety on normal with my lvl75 char (to get the quest item for the stuff added in 1.0)

kill kole as I go past, drops a tabula rasa. Nice. (sold it for 2ex 5mins later and got an alpha howl yay.)

Kammie

for some builds having a 6link chest is essential. Tabula is a quick way to get that. (with any gems u like)
Not only that but even if you don't use it, it's amazing for trying out different combinations and seeing how they work out, before you settle on rolling colors on your gear. I play around with mine all the time, trying things out.

lukepgl

Neo Member
I've only been playing for the last couple of weeks, killed Dominus a few nights ago and now starting to go through Cruel. I haven't felt this addicted to a game since my WoW days!

I've probably made a mess of my ranger skills as I haven't been following any guides, but I'm not finding it too difficult yet. I've yet to play in a group though so it'd be good to start getting in to that. I'd like to join the GAF guild if space happens to open up, although I'm in the UK. My name's the same as on here.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Need to get back on the horse and finish Act 3 Normal to unlock the Scion, but I'm kinda burned out on trying to find a non-rushing, non-jumped-ahead party to help me finish the act with. :/

KKRT00

New skill - Flameblast - is outstanding and not because of stage 10 OP damage, but because casting is so fast that it makes kiting very fun!
I'm already thinking about making a build with as fast cast speed and max crit just to use it at its 2-3 stage but as an instant spell :)

I've made a short video
http://youtu.be/Ge5yEVYI2nU

Top Bottom