• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

NVM done it.

Anyone in GAF guild want to help me out with this map? I'll be ingame as SetveenIII most of today/tomorrow, let me know if you want in. Level 75+ peoples only, unless you have a lot of survivability.
WMJ8viD.jpg

ok just starting out, played game in beta, only got to level 30 but i loved it. joined gaf guild as a witch and am using this post to make a summoner

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/479976

From what I gather I should do the life points builds hes posting as a level then transition to CI?

Otherwise ill be dying a lot if I don't. I have etheral knives as he suggest and raise zombie but since im only level 10 and this is my first char my gear is ass.

TheFatOne

I'm just now messing around in HC making different types of characters with different play styles. Died a few times already but I dont really care just experimenting now.
ok just starting out, played game in beta, only got to level 30 but i loved it. joined gaf guild as a witch and am using this post to make a summoner

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/479976

From what I gather I should do the life points builds hes posting as a level then transition to CI?

Otherwise ill be dying a lot if I don't. I have etheral knives as he suggest and raise zombie but since im only level 10 and this is my first char my gear is ass.
What league are you playing in hardcore or softcore? CI is late game maps territory which is lvl 70+ depending on your gear. Be patient with summoners although end game they are beastly they can be difficult to level up mid game. Stick with EK and make sure your leveling up the necessary gems at the same time. Stack life nodes, and try to get gear with life and resists. The idea is that you level up take the life nodes along the way until you reach end game. Once there you get the gear you need then make the switch to CI, and respec out of life to CI/energy shield. You get a lot of respect points by the time you reach end game and you can always buy regrets if you need them.

Perkel

Banned
New skill - Flameblast - is outstanding and not because of stage 10 OP damage, but because casting is so fast that it makes kiting very fun!
I'm already thinking about making a build with as fast cast speed and max crit just to use it at its 2-3 stage but as an instant spell :)

I've made a short video
http://youtu.be/Ge5yEVYI2nU

Yeah i am using it with frost wall. It is very effective in closed spaces like dungeons.

V_Arnold

KKRTO, I am using Flameblast on lv70+ maps, and it is not all fun and blowjobs at that point. And I specifically buillt this character around it. Stick with it, but the oneshotting bosses/uniques will end around the end of cruel.

Perkel

Banned
KKRTO, I am using Flameblast on lv70+ maps, and it is not all fun and blowjobs at that point. And I specifically buillt this character around it. Stick with it, but the oneshotting bosses/uniques will end around the end of cruel.

They need to balance it a bit and we don't know what people will do with this skill in long run considering combinations in which can work. Same as wander build was just like that thought up by Krip and soon ton of other people started to use it even if they though earlier physical wanders suck ass.

I wonder what they have in place for us for new expansion...

edit:

anyone tried this skill with skills like totem ? Does it work ?

V_Arnold

Yes, it works, the flameblast goes off when/if the totem dies/expires (either by end of duration, recast(!) or death.).

It is fun, but it takes away the most important aspect of the spell: the 1100% damage modifier of a full cast. it starts at 550%, and even with +totem damage skills, it might not worth it.

I am currently using elemental equilibrum with it, use a Freezing Pulse totem and (not too empowered) minions, Flammability/Enfeeble, Chaos Inoculation (with Infernal Mantle, yeah I know :p), and it works.

KKRT00

I dont want to one shot. I want to use it while i'm moving in 2-3 stage.
Can You post Your build?

I want play with it like here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ge5yEVYI2nU#t=25

---
My concept is highest crit with highest cast speed, Prolif + added cold damage.
Freeze + ignite and full mobility.

Perkel

Banned
heh this skill would be amazing if it was cold damage instead of fire. But it would be too OP.

Hmmm wait a minute... Isn't there support for converting fire damage into cold damage ? Or was it only for weapon elemental damage ?

V_Arnold

This is my current build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...zwuzDbdVP14bb59xX3nffsOL35BHmgeq67Bjwa_ll-eg=

Currently using a 4-link Flameblast, Rarity (yaaaay), Faster Cast, Life Leech. In "serious mode", the next ones would be: Concentrated Effect, Increased Area of effect (both of these overpower the slight gain from Faster Casting by a LARGE margin, they turn for example a 900 dps stage 1 Flameblast into an 1440 dps one...), and finally Fire Penetration if I get an 5l- or more.

I want to take the shield passives (Ratpith Globe atm), and will move out some cast speed points once I find enough resists on my gear to equip the +13% cast speed, +50% spell block unique. Even now, one cast is 0.15 sec (without having any cast speed on my dagger, another non-optimal thing - but hey, it has 77% spell damage and tons of crit).

I am not going the ignite route, although with the right dagger, it could work. I also do not spec into crits, predictable damage is good enough as of now.

With your planned playstyle, if the enemies are affected by elemental equilibrum (due to a freezing pulse or arctic breath or ice spear totem), you will not need more than stage 2-3 casts to kill non-elites, and not more than 6-7 to seriously damage elites as well. So that can work.

I'm streaming some maps right now, starting off with a suicide map. This is on my tri-curse, low life 5 aura Shavronne's witch: http://www.twitch.tv/plasticpassion

Anyone in GAF guild want to help me out with this map? I'll be ingame as SetveenIII most of today/tomorrow, let me know if you want in. Level 75+ peoples only, unless you have a lot of survivability.

I will gladly join you on that if you're still going to run it. IGN is Mareb.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I think the game finally clicked.

I was stuck on Normal Dominus. I asked in global where to farm, and some guy PM'd me saying he'd help me kill him. I figured why not. What ended up happening was nearly 3 hours of Dominus farming with him in MF gear and me getting all of the spoils.

What was neat was that I was able to understand how items REALLY worked, how to manipulate the vendor, and how to really tweak gear and get what you want.

Now that I'm in Cruel, I'm back to trying to find gear that works for me. I need mana regen and resists. I also need to find me a concentrated effect gem.

I do have a question though - how do you go about playing with gear to get what you want? Do you chance whites, upgrade from white to rare, reroll magic items? I need to get some +int and +str gear to allow me to upgrade gems again, and I'd like to start upgrading my rings and amulet.

Rufus

All of the above, depending on what your currency allows. Hold onto Regals, Chaos and Exalts for high level items. And there's also trading of course, but I've never bothered with that.

Keep the vendor recipes in mind when you craft anything ever, especially the 5-to-1 for rares and blues. Saves you currency.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipes

Kammie

I do have a question though - how do you go about playing with gear to get what you want? Do you chance whites, upgrade from white to rare, reroll magic items? I need to get some +int and +str gear to allow me to upgrade gems again, and I'd like to start upgrading my rings and amulet.
Crafting is not really viable for getting "what you want" unless you're filthy rich, it's a pretty lousy system based on RNG that just caters to people in endgame. At the most you can use some transmutation/augmentation/alteration orbs on a piece of gear, or alch it just to have something a little better than a magic item.

The way we play with the gear that we want is with this: http://poe.xyz.is/

Perkel

Banned
This is my current build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...zwuzDbdVP14bb59xX3nffsOL35BHmgeq67Bjwa_ll-eg=

Currently using a 4-link Flameblast, Rarity (yaaaay), Faster Cast, Life Leech. In "serious mode", the next ones would be: Concentrated Effect, Increased Area of effect (both of these overpower the slight gain from Faster Casting by a LARGE margin, they turn for example a 900 dps stage 1 Flameblast into an 1440 dps one...), and finally Fire Penetration if I get an 5l- or more.

I want to take the shield passives (Ratpith Globe atm), and will move out some cast speed points once I find enough resists on my gear to equip the +13% cast speed, +50% spell block unique. Even now, one cast is 0.15 sec (without having any cast speed on my dagger, another non-optimal thing - but hey, it has 77% spell damage and tons of crit).

I am not going the ignite route, although with the right dagger, it could work. I also do not spec into crits, predictable damage is good enough as of now.

With your planned playstyle, if the enemies are affected by elemental equilibrum (due to a freezing pulse or arctic breath or ice spear totem), you will not need more than stage 2-3 casts to kill non-elites, and not more than 6-7 to seriously damage elites as well. So that can work.

I changed mind about flameburst... IT is amazing skill in groups. IT is shit for packs of shit monster but when rare mobs or elite packs come then this is great skill. Someone takes the lead and you just blow up everything stronger.

I don't have caster currently with AOE mods but it should be amazing skill for AOE with passives and AOE support. Final stage should be very big containing almost whole screen...

I paused my streaming for a little bit, but I may start back later.

Btw, I'm looking for a MF build to duo some maps with. I have a decent 69-71 stock that I'm hoping to use to move up in map levels. I'm lvl 80 fireball proliferated burning crit witch (3 curse, 5 auras: vitality, haste, clarity, discipline, purity of elements).

V_Arnold

New patch is up. 1.0.5. Sadly, the new uniques do suck, 3 of the 4 new is low-level stuff, and the ring is just...well, it is not bad, but it is highly conditional. Could make an interesting burst-notburst build, but I doubt that it would be easy to make.

Perkel

Banned
New patch is up. 1.0.5. Sadly, the new uniques do suck, 3 of the 4 new is low-level stuff, and the ring is just...well, it is not bad, but it is highly conditional. Could make an interesting burst-notburst build, but I doubt that it would be easy to make.

I do agree for the most part but having low level uniques is very important to general gameplay.

V_Arnold

I do agree for the most part but having low level uniques is very important to general gameplay.

Of course. Next season will be awesome for these uniques, surely. It is just the process of getting there that is painful (having to see 3 lowlevel and 1 high, instead of at least 2-2).

Perkel

Banned
Of course. Next season will be awesome for these uniques, surely. It is just the process of getting there that is painful (having to see 3 lowlevel and 1 high, instead of at least 2-2).

It is equally important to have proper low level gameplay as well as end game contend. Most of updates adds more or less end game content. Once for a while adding more lower level uniques is good idea imo.

As of next season... i wonder what idea now they will use. I am 100% sure that both shrines and Nemesis mods will be implemented in standard gameplay.

Perkel

Banned
IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO GUILD MEMBERS
-------------------------------
-------------------------------

As i said earlier on this forum due to lack of places for new members i kicked all people from the list that didn't have "Active" in tag. Some people without tag prevailed because they donated money to our guild.

This doesn't mean people won't be able to rejoin. Just type to one of officers from our guild or me so we can add you again. We just don't want to have zombie members that after adding they won't play game at all.

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

IMPORTANT MESSAGE ENDS

So if you were kicked out of Neogaf guild and still want to be in guild just PM me or one of officers so we will add you again. Also keep looking at this thread once for a while to see if there won't be any more guild wipes.

Minor important message:

Once for a while we will also wipe our guild stashes so that people will be able to put again stuff in it. Now mostly it is same gear that is in those stashes rarely taken out.
This naturally will be announced long before wipe. Currently there is no planned wipe.
What won't be wiped: Gems tab and Uniques tab

So if you for example see that there are already 6 split arrow gems don't add 7 one.

What i discovered also is that if you add mc points to our guild you are protected from kicks for at least half a year so you can pay for win :p

Current MEMBERS: 17 (down from 70)

Also you can take of ACTIVE status from tag. Next time it will be something different.

KKRT00

Note to anyone who PM'ed me with guild request in last month or so. Please re-message me now that we have slots if You are still interested :)
Thanks.

V_Arnold

Damn. First 6-link?

For me, yes. On the market, there are a few 6-link Oros, although not much. I do not even know the price. Should be around 7-12 ex, not more. The sword is hard to build around.

I already have a lv75 spectral thrower that uses it, but there, reflect and burst damage can easily dismantle me - scions do not get easy access to the chunkier health nodes. If my templar build is not more safe (and by safe, I mean having 4-4.5k health) , then I shall try selling the weapon to a more daring fella instead. or to someone with a Kaom's Heart.

Rufus

Keep it. Then 6-link whatever your main attack is to see what potential it has. ...And then go back to wearing your usual chest piece, I guess.
It's also neat to have for leveling. You could of course sell it (don't ask me to PC, I have no idea about prices) and buy yourself something nice.

V_Arnold

Tabula Rasa usually goes for around 1ex, not much more. It is good, but not particularly great by any means. Good to try out builds, so it is a good utility to have, for sure. Also "imba" for leveling as well - provided you can sustain your most likely astronomical mana costs.

Kammie

I've been using my Tabula ever since I got it, and it hasn't been detrimental at all. In fact, the 6L it's given my main attack is what's made all the difference.

The good thing about it is that if you start using it early on, you'll be forced to get your resistances on all your other gear. So that means that in the future, you can use any unique chest piece that you want without worrying about your resistances being screwed over.

Corsick

I haven't played this game in a long while, but I wanted to get back into it. I was curious about what was the tankiest melee class in the game and how viable a tank build is at higher levels. This leads me to wondering how potent are the Marauder and Templar in general? I was wanting to make a pure 2 handed or 1hnd+shield character. Also, is there any class which can play anything like a Diablo 2 Zoomancer? I like being a big bruiser with a huge weapon or a summon based class. I've no idea if those kinds of play styles do well in PoE at higher levels. Thanks.

V_Arnold

I haven't played this game in a long while, but I wanted to get back into it. I was curious about what was the tankiest melee class in the game and how viable a tank build is at higher levels. This leads me to wondering how potent are the Marauder and Templar in general? I was wanting to make a pure 2 handed or 1hnd+shield character. Also, is there any class which can play anything like a Diablo 2 Zoomancer? I like being a big bruiser with a huge weapon or a summon based class. I've no idea if those kinds of play styles do well in PoE at higher levels. Thanks.

Yes and yes.

Both the templar and marauder is viable in endgame, with a multitude of builds. What you wont get if you start at templar: attack speed. What you will get instead? Tons of life, tons of res, tons of elemental damage. Marauder is even more versatile for having access to deeper duelist nodes.

About zoo-builds: any proper summoner will have 10+ zombies and skeletons on screen, PLUS Spectres. Additionally: conversion trap/dominating blow builds actually deal damage while having some minions as well. And summoner builds are very viable - in fact, they can easily equip more rarity than others and can play safely and still have complete rooms of monsters disappear before you can even see what is in there.

J. Bravo

I'll probably try using the tabula rasa to 6L my spectral throw. and since I'm evasion based, i don't really need resists because i get close to one shotted by everything in maps. the only thing is i'll be missing the 500ish evasion from my current chest, and potentially 1200+ at higher levels...

V_Arnold

I'll probably try using the tabula rasa to 6L my spectral throw. and since I'm evasion based, i don't really need resists because i get close to one shotted by everything in maps. the only thing is i'll be missing the 500ish evasion from my current chest, and potentially 1200+ at higher levels...

As someone who has a lv81 pure evasion spectral thrower...I would not advise you that :D
After all the percentile-based modifiers, you will lose out with a straight 15-20% dodge chance.

J. Bravo

As someone who has a lv81 pure evasion spectral thrower...I would not advise you that :D
After all the percentile-based modifiers, you will lose out with a straight 15-20% dodge chance.

yeah...i just tried it and died in a level 66 map, which hasn't happened since i was 63. so maybe i'll just keep it for testing purposes lmao. or sell it and buy a nice new dagger.

V_Arnold

Fuck, people who hate people who rant against Kripp, please ignore me for a moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moXFCb4qUG0

Damn it. After spending months laughing and being freaked out by the lowest of sharks, those that say "IT ONLY TAKES ONE FUSING, 6-link me my LV1 SEARING TOUCH, AND WIN A SCROLL OF WISDOM"..... Kripp actually did stuff like that.

And I do not even count that time when he was practically begging his followers for fusings and got shitloads of them. But to actually play this "game".... yeah dude, someone got 8 exalteds. I do not care.

Next step in these game's markets and economys and all that jazz is when the ingame authorities form that punish the players that abuse others in the name of personal profit. You were scammed out of your exalted due to now knowing? Flag the person who did it to you, and people can enter that person's game (get a notification or whatever) and they will be able to attack him/her for a few times. The bigger the scam is, the more times the kills are authorized! DO IT, GGG :D

Kammie

If you're evasion-based, you need to be running Grace. I think that with my Tabula and Grace, I get around 42% evasion rate or somewhere around there. I also have Acrobatics and the dodge nodes for 40% dodge. With just this I have no problems at all.

Currently I'm also testing Darkray Vectors, which with Frenzy charges give me 14% more dodge. Working great, especially with Blind on single-target, with which I rarely ever get hit.

Edit: No matter what, you need to have capped resists at 75%. If you're running without them, you're gonna die with or without the Tabula.

J. Bravo

If you're evasion-based, you need to be running Grace. I think that with my Tabula and Grace, I get around 42% evasion rate or somewhere around there. I also have Acrobatics and the dodge nodes for 40% dodge. With just this I have no problems at all.

Currently I'm also tesiting Darkray Vectors, which with Frenzy charges give me 14% more dodge. Working great, especially with Blind on single-target, with which I rarely ever get hit.

Edit: No matter what, you need to have capped resists at 75%. If you're running without them, you're gonna die with or without the Tabula.
I am running grace. Can't recall the level but I think it gives me 1712 evasion. I'm at 45/40/30 plus 35% block. My resists are 66/80/75 with my current chest and something abysmal like 26/65/54 without it. So tabula Rasa is out of the question for now. I'm gonna look for resists on other pieces, or just buy a new chest with 1000+ evade and all 3 resists and try to 6l it lmao.

also is power charge on crit worth using when my max power charges is 3? It would be the 6th gem in my chest if so.

Kammie

I am running grace. Can't recall the level but I think it gives me 1712 evasion. I'm at 45/40/30 plus 35% block. My resists are 66/80/75 with my current chest and something abysmal like 26/65/54 without it. So tabula Rasa is out of the question for now. I'm gonna look for resists on other pieces, or just buy a new chest with 1000+ evade and all 3 resists and try to 6l it lmao.

also is power charge on crit worth using when my max power charges is 3? It would be the 6th gem in my chest if so.
Your evasion seems fine, especially given that you have block. You need to keep in mind that the evasion system isn't entirely %-based like in most games, where 95% evasion means only 5% of attacks get through. It works on a system where you're guaranteed to get hit every few number of attacks, though things like Dodge and Block will break things up a bit. You can read about it here:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Evasion

Basically, you're gonna get hit no matter what. Your problem is probably that you don't have a high enough HP pool to survive more than a couple hits. What are you at?

I don't know if I'd recommend wasting a gem slot on that gem, you can get more DPS by putting just about anything else there. If you're crit-based, go with Critical Weakness as a curse. Critical Damage is also nice to put on a weapon. (Edit: This is from a ranger POV, without any fancy crit rates like on daggers. Test everything on your Tabula, you'll be surprised at some of the results.)

J. Bravo

Your evasion seems fine, especially given that you have block. You need to keep in mind that the evasion system isn't entirely %-based like in most games, where 95% evasion means only 5% of attacks get through. It works on a system where you're guaranteed to get hit every few number of attacks, though things like Dodge and Block will break things up a bit. You can read about it here:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Evasion

Basically, you're gonna get hit no matter what. Your problem is probably that you don't have a high enough HP pool to survive more than a couple hits. What are you at?

I don't know if I'd recommend wasting a gem slot on that gem, you can get more DPS by putting just about anything else there. If you're crit-based, go with Critical Weakness as a curse. Critical Damage is also nice to put on a weapon. (Edit: This is from a ranger POV, without any fancy crit rates like on daggers. Test everything on your Tabula, you'll be surprised at some of the results.)
i've got something like 2700 hp right now at lvl 69. dunno if i'm taking any more hp nodes.

i have lvl 16 crit weakness. reduced mana linked with grace and tempest shield. my spectral throw is linked with life leech, LMP, and faster attacks or phys proj dmg. double strike with multistrike, crit multiplier, and faster attacks. if i get a 6L it's going to be ST, LMP, Life leech (unless i find that Life on hit is better), faster attacks, phys proj dmg, and like added (type) dmg.

this is the build i'm following http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548657/page/1

Kammie

i've got something like 2700 hp right now at lvl 69. dunno if i'm taking any more hp nodes.
Way too low, and you'll only get slaughtered faster in higher-level maps. I had probably around 2700 also when I was getting killed left and right. Just going over 3000 made a difference.

Be sure to use only gear with high life rolls, if you have no more HP nodes available to you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gah, no one will join my party so I can finish Act 3 Normal. D: No one wants to do Server the Right Hand and the quests on from that. D:

I really gotta get Red gem items since I'm swimming in green equipment and some blues but never any red slots.

Rufus

If you're really strapped for fitting slots just use chromatic orbs to change the colours on the gear you want to use. They're easy enough to get by, just pick up items that have at least three linked slots of every colour and sell them for a chromatic each. The vendors themselves will also often have such items on offer, allowing you to basically echange a transmutation or alteration orb for a chromatic orb if you turn around and sell them right back to them.

V_Arnold

FYI: GGG will introduce 4 new summoner skills next week.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/766533

What is interesting is that they, once again, managed to radically shift the metagame with this.... :D

Now, I plan on building a character around Summon Raging Spirit.
No upper limit to the amount summoned... let that one sink in. I will either try purecasting them, OR use a "cast on crit" variant with a fast hitting high critter, power charge-enabled build.

Flameblast goes down to 0.15. With +crit chance, and with 4-5 power charges, I could summon 2-3 raging spirit per second. Dunno. Or Ice Spear +Cast on crit instead?

Oh, all the possibilities....

KKRT00

FYI: GGG will introduce 4 new summoner skills next week.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/766533

What is interesting is that they, once again, managed to radically shift the metagame with this.... :D

Now, I plan on building a character around Summon Raging Spirit.
No upper limit to the amount summoned... let that one sink in. I will either try purecasting them, OR use a "cast on crit" variant with a fast hitting high critter, power charge-enabled build.

Flameblast goes down to 0.15. With +crit chance, and with 4-5 power charges, I could summon 2-3 raging spirit per second. Dunno. Or Ice Spear +Cast on crit instead?

Oh, all the possibilities....

New summoners spells are pretty clever and they will require more management, so less boring gameplay with summoner char.
Definitely great patch for summoners fans.

Top Bottom