• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Kammie

Among the worst decisions I've yet made in this game has been to run a Dungeon map for the first time ever with the Burning Patches of Ground mod... while KNOWING there was a Brutus-type boss at the end. lol

Rufus

My buddy stayed in the instance while I power leveled. in 6 hours, I got to Merciless, and was about level 45 at the end of the day.
Nice.

Among the worst decisions I've yet made in this game has been to run a Dungeon map for the first time ever with the Burning Patches of Ground mod... while KNOWING there was a Brutus-type boss at the end. lol
Wait till you see frozen ground. Have fun dodging the hook with that shit... It even slows you down in the air above it. I did a double boss Dungeon with frozen ground once. Never again.

Argonis

I am so pissed with Path of Exile's town portals. I fucking hate that they disappear after a set amount of time and I lose all progress. It's so frustrating. I'm watching tv while playing and find myself absorbed by something, turn back and my fucking portal is gone. FUCK, FUCK. FUCK!!

Does anyone else get frustrated with the portals. Love the game though.

KKRT00

I am so pissed with Path of Exile's town portals. I fucking hate that they disappear after a set amount of time and I lose all progress. It's so frustrating. I'm watching tv while playing and find myself absorbed by something, turn back and my fucking portal is gone. FUCK, FUCK. FUCK!!

Nope, i rarely am outside of zone, i'm progressing.farming for more than few minutes anyway.

Kammie

I think it's annoying how the time varies between 8-15 minutes. Wish it were just a fixed 15 to allow you to go to the bathroom or whatever. Also I swear there are times they've disappeared after only two minutes, because I just sell my loot to the vendor, go back to where the portal was, and it's just gone.

Btw, will there be any room in the GAF guild anytime soon? Not sure if you prune users/add slots now and then. But I'd be interested in joining.

Boken

Banned
I think it's annoying how the time varies between 8-15 minutes. Wish it were just a fixed 15 to allow you to go to the bathroom or whatever. Also I swear there are times they've disappeared after only two minutes, because I just sell my loot to the vendor, go back to where the portal was, and it's just gone.

Btw, will there be any room in the GAF guild anytime soon? Not sure if you prune users/add slots now and then. But I'd be interested in joining.
its 8 minutes for side areas, and 15 minutes for main areas
side areas are defined as a map with only two exits (forward and back)

i think they could benefit from a higher tier currency item that creates a permanent portal
maybe.

Sciz

I like this idea.

Does anybody know why these time limitations were put in place? I'm curious as the reason behind it.

Because the servers only have so much memory and can't be expected to maintain state information for several maps for thousands of players at a time.

I like this idea.

Does anybody know why these time limitations were put in place? I'm curious as the reason behind it.

To add on to what Sciz said, you use to have to wait that 8-15 minutes for the map to reset to farm it again which made farming docks/fellshrine/ledge areas a pain in the ass so they enabled players to make a new area on their own.

I like this idea.

Server memory.

Back when open beta launched, you were lucky to get 5 minutes from your portals.

If you don't know already, you can check your instances and see their expiry timers by ctrl+clicking any entrance to an area or the node on a waypoint (when travelling from waypoint to waypoint).

Boken

Banned
I dont see why its a problem if you use permanent allocation

its not even drastically different to D3's implementation - other than being transparent about drops. I suppose you could argue that just allowing people to see other's drops could be upsetting?

mathematically, the # of drops is the same though.

I dont see why its a problem if you use permanent allocation

It's still shared though, with some drops randomized to one player.

Playing with 5 other players is a rather annoying experience in this regard.

In PoE:

boss is slain -> drops items for everybody to take -> loothunt deluxe and no one cares about the remaining threat

In D3:

boss is slain -> drops items in each player's instance -> happy lootin' _after_ the enemies are dead

In PoE:

boss is slain -> drops items for everybody to take -> loothunt deluxe and no one cares about the remaining threat

In D3:

boss is slain -> drops items in each player's instance -> happy lootin' _after_ the enemies are dead

What? Other players can never take your loot on permanent allocation unless you flip or give it to them.

Boken

Banned

In PoE:

In D3:

The only things of value that are ffa loot are the 3L RGB items, and maybe two stones, if you're into that.

Protected:
4L and above
High tier base items
Rare items and above
All currency
All maps
All skill gems
6 sockets (not sure if 5 sockets protected)

This only goes for permanent allocation of course. I avoid short allocation like the plague unless it's just me and the missus

The new barrage skill looks sweet and fits perfectly with my physical crit bow shadow. Been waiting for a multistrike type projectile skill.

Speaking on drops, I personally miss the wild west style of free for all that diablo 2 had; I'd love to see a harcore league that only has ffa. Permanent allocation is boring to me, and I hate when people leave stuff that I could use. Short term works okay for me though.

You know how dumb I am?:

KXRcewA.jpg

This dumb:

Ignorance got me, yet again. And I just decked out my character too, sonofa...

I guess there's no good time to die.

Worst part is, I was leveling a bunch of quality gems in my offhand for my other characters. Lost some nice quality gems.

imtehman

Banned
Yeah busta i did that the first time i made a CI character. Shit sucks but hey, at least i never did it again after that. Progress baby!

Boken

Banned
You know how dumb I am?:

This dumb:

Ignorance got me, yet again. And I just decked out my character too, sonofa...

I guess there's no good time to die.

Worst part is, I was leveling a bunch of quality gems in my offhand for my other characters. Lost some nice quality gems.

holy shit lol

act 2 merc?

holy shit lol

act 2 merc?

Yeah, I just got done getting rushed there on the weekend. My buddy helped me speedrun on Saturday. I skipped most of the content, and only grinded in high exp areas. I knew, once I got to Fellshrine in Merciless, it would be time to re-gear, and re-spec for the build.

Well, I made it like 25 steps away before dying like a bitch AFTER I just spent a ton a currency on the build.

Major buzz kill.

Ah well, it'll wear off, and I'll re-roll. Still have my main just short of level 80, and a couple other 65-ish characters i can tinker with.

Boken

Banned
Yeah, I just got done getting rushed there on the weekend. My buddy helped me speedrun on Saturday. I skipped most of the content, and only grinded in high exp areas. I knew, once I got to Fellshrine in Merciless, it would be time to re-gear, and re-spec for the build.

Well, I made it like 25 steps away before dying like a bitch AFTER I just spent a ton a currency on the build.

Major buzz kill.

Ah well, it'll wear off, and I'll re-roll. Still have my main just short of level 80, and a couple other 65-ish characters i can tinker with.

maybe I can carry the torch - i've been curious about doing a fireball build - what was yours like?

i hope that wasnt a searing torch

maybe I can carry the torch - i've been curious about doing a fireball build - what was yours like?

i hope that wasnt a searing torch

It most definitly was.

Ughhh, I don't really know much about the build TBH. It was experimental. I only have 4 points into Fire/Spell damage.

The name I made for that character reflects the purpose of it. I was making an item find character I can farm Piety and other bosses with, with a friend. I needed the ES (low-life build) in case I took some damage, but mainly I was just to portal in to get the final hit with culling strike+item rarity, w/ tons of IIR gear.

I was farming Merciless Mervail on Saturday, at level 35, and it was working, nicely, I just wanted more from it.

I just wanted to find a secondary reason to use this character, so I was experimenting with a Fire build, and a Discharge setup. (which I didn't get to test, was leveling the gems)

----------

So, I'm going to re-roll, I just need some suggestions on what I can use early/late game with high damage, and a low investment of points. I'd prefer to start with the Templar or Witch, as I'll need the Armour/ES nodes for another low-life setup.

I was using Spectral throw with OP unique's like Geoffri's Baptism, for early/mid game, but once I hit level 35-40ish, the 300-350 DPS was unbearable for solo play. I actually had to join pub parties to level up from 40-55.

Boken

Banned
It most definitly was.

Ughhh, I don't really know much about the build TBH. It was experimental. I only have 4 points into Fire/Spell damage.

The name I made for that character reflects the purpose of it. I was making an item find character I can farm Piety and other bosses with, with a friend. I needed the ES (low-life build) in case I took some damage, but mainly I was just to portal in to get the final hit with culling strike+item rarity, w/ tons of IIR gear.

I was farming Merciless Mervail on Saturday, at level 35, and it was working, nicely, I just wanted more from it.

I just wanted to find a secondary reason to use this character, so I was experimenting with a Fire build, and a Discharge setup. (which I didn't get to test, was leveling the gems)

----------

So, I'm going to re-roll, I just need some suggestions on what I can use early/late game with high damage, and a low investment of points. I'd prefer to start with the Templar or Witch, as I'll need the Armour/ES nodes for another low-life setup.

I was using Spectral throw with OP unique's like Geoffri's Baptism, for early/mid game, but once I hit level 35-40ish, the 300-350 DPS was unbearable for solo play. I actually had to join pub parties to level up from 40-55.
how does a low life build work with CI? do you mean you spec CI on chaos damage maps and on other maps you run low life?

why are you doing this particular IIR build"?

how does a low life build work with CI? do you mean you spec CI on chaos damage maps and on other maps you run low life?

why are you doing this particular IIR build"?

The plan was to just use a regret and pop of CI when doing MF runs, use BM with an aura, get low-life, and use some crazy MF gear. When I want to play, and level, all I had to do was put that point back in CI, swap out my gear, and I'm good to go.

If I has Shavronne's Wrappings, I could run low-life the entire time, with like 4 aura's for the party memeber, and pure MF, although I'd literally have no damage myself.

Tom Penny

Anyone have any surgeon flasks they want to sell in standard with the 3000 armor with increased evasion / armor that refill on crit strike? Basically I'm doing too much damage to safely farm reflect maps and I need a way to constantly spam those hoping they save me. I die even with 15K armour running determination and grace.

Greg

Anyone have any surgeon flasks they want to sell in standard with the 3000 armor with increased evasion / armor that refill on crit strike? Basically I'm doing too much damage to safely farm reflect maps and I need a way to constantly spam those hoping they save me. I die even with 15K armour running determination and grace.
PM me your IGN or post it

Kammie

So a Chin Sol dropped today, and I got excited, and it seemed pretty good while testing it on Docks. Slow compared to my Thicket Bow, but good damage, and the close-range bonus coupled with my crit multiplier was awesome.

Then I went to do Lunaris, which I pretty much farm with my eyes closed... and I proceeded to die time after time again since the bow was so slow that I couldn't leech life fast enough. :(

Worst of all is that I depend on my Blood Dance boots to recover 1% HP per Frenzy charge. With the Thicket, holding the attack key for a second gets me all six charges. With this bow, I could get 2 if lucky before all the mobs were on me. Kind of disappointed. :(

Edit: Come to think of it, I think I may be getting less Frenzy charges in part due to the fact I kill things quicker. If that's the case, the day I eventually get a Lioneye's, this'll only get worse. Hmm.

Kammie

Try the new Barrage skill with Chin Sol.
I gave up on it after some consideration. It's a close-range bow and I'm an all-evasion build. The split second difference in attack speed makes all the difference when it comes to life leech and staying alive. A thicket bow pretty much allows me to tank off my evasion, and with the Chin Sol I was risking death.

But I'll keep it. If I ever make a tanky armor-based archer, there's a lot of potential for awesomeness. Close-range DPS is godly with this thing.

Also, Tabula Rasa is awesome, got my hands on one. Does anyone use this for actual map-running? I still need to five-link my definitive armor piece, but there's a loss of 2952 evasion and 304 life if I use the Tabula. Resistances don't matter much since I'm at 68/75/75 with the Tabula. Thinking maybe it could be viable if I get my hands on an Alpha's Howl so I can run Purity of Elements (to replace helm res)/Grace/an attack aura.

Krassus

If anyone is interested in doing maps that is 83+++ add me: LuxuryKrassus

We have 2 tanks, 3 ranged dps (one is a culler) and most of the time its only 2-4 of us on.

Tom Penny

I do low 70's maps with Tabula Rasa but reflect ones are a real bitch for me. Might not be due to the chest though and more that I crit 90% of the time.

You guys in Domination or Nemesis? I've been leveling alt characters, but I want to get back to my main, which is like 79 or something, and do some more maps. (Nemesis)

Kammie

Thicket Bow + LMP + Lightning Arrow + Faster Attacks + Knockback = O_O

It's like constant knockback, mobs can't even reach me--I just push them off the screen. Wow. Too bad it's risky without using some sort of life-regen gem. I just know it wouldn't work at higher levels.

GAF, help me come up with some kind of an offensive build with this as a base. You have 12 points:

Click here for skill tree

Keep in mind, I have low STR and DEX at this point. LVL 60 character on NEMESIS.

I'd like to pick up some ES shield nodes, and really beef up the ES, currently only have 3k, and 5.5k armour. If I did that, I would have 8 remaining nodes for some kind of an offensive setup.

Anything at all. Preferably 4-L, which I could designate 2 set of 4-links too, and in the case of a staff,a 5-link, or if a 1-h weapon, 2 more sets of 3's.

Doesn't have to be ROFL stomp DPS, just something to get by. This character is designated for MF runs, and I'm just trying to find a secondary purpose for it at this point.

Rufus

Fire Traps maybe. If you have a Searing Touch it will actually be quite strong and you're near fire/burning damage and trap damage nodes. Even without Searing Touch it'll probably be decent.

Fire Trap + Fire Pen + Increased Burning + Increased Duration
...or whatever the best supports are now. Haven't kept up with the changes.

I died on Dominus 3 times and for some reason my town portal closed. Why the fuck? Is there a time limit on resurrections or did the server fuck up? Can I have a map of the final area so I don't waste any time getting back?

Kammie

Did my first Reflect map today. Went great! All this time I was afraid I was gonna one-shot myself, but in the end, with my LGOH, 8% attack leech, and 6% HP regen per sec, there may as well not even be a reflect mod.

Hopefully Elemental Reflect works the same way and I don't kill myself with Lightning Arrow. But if not, I can just swap it out for Split Arrow on that map.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I still say Summons are too weak. Came back after a month of not really playing and my summons still get beaten to death, unless that's the way summons are supposed to work.

What I expected: Diablo 2's Necromancer fire and forget play
What I got: having to continue to cast and cast and cast and it doesn't seem like I'm really helping my team/party at all.

I died on Dominus 3 times and for some reason my town portal closed. Why the fuck? Is there a time limit on resurrections or did the server fuck up? Can I have a map of the final area so I don't waste any time getting back?

Portals have a time limit

I still say Summons are too weak. Came back after a month of not really playing and my summons still get beaten to death, unless that's the way summons are supposed to work.
Multistrike those zombies

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mind blown. I didn't know gems could interact with each other if tied to the same armor pieces.

Top Bottom