• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

V_Arnold

PoE HC is the definitive long-term delusion mode. Especially if one plays it with an ALT+F4 scripted to middle mouse or something akin to that :p

Stick to awesome new modes that replaces Domination, and folks will actually have fun :D

Edit: I wonder why GGG does not implement a "limited lives mode" where you actually get your character deleted when his lifes run out. You could start with 9 lives and could get them sometimes as rare drops, or as quite expensive recipes. Would keep all the thrill of death while allowing you to still fuck up every now and then. I think I will post this to GGG's forums now.

aY227

PoE HC is the definitive long-term delusion mode. Especially if one plays it with an ALT+F4 scripted to middle mouse or something akin to that :p

Stick to awesome new modes that replaces Domination, and folks will actually have fun :D

Edit: I wonder why GGG does not implement a "limited lives mode" where you actually get your character deleted when his lifes run out. You could start with 9 lives and could get them sometimes as rare drops, or as quite expensive recipes. Would keep all the thrill of death while allowing you to still fuck up every now and then. I think I will post this to GGG's forums now.

Thats what i thought some time ago, that better HC mode would be mode with limited lives. And we need it badly, softcore is terrible mode, because it completely changes the way You play. In HC You are more careful, You are more tactical, You are making and gearing Your character in smarter way and there are tons of additional benefits from group play, because its safer and new economy opportunities for rushing weaker players through bosses or content etc.

But 9 lives is too many. I would give 2 resurrects and a currency items that adds one resurrect and is about as rare as Eternal Orb.
For balance issues, i would limit it only to permanent leagues and disallow resurrect after lvl 82-85 so people who would race for levels still could have a competition.

I know a lot of people who would love to play HC, but they just cant dedicate so much time when they know that they can die from random event.

Kammie

Still playing but just getting fed up.

909 hours of playtime and I can't 5L or 6L a damn item. Meanwhile, I read about someone on forum getting a 6L in six fusings, or a guild member getting one with a single fusing.

New gem mechanics, etc, are cool, but if the socketing, fusing and crafting systems remain as they are, I'm eventually out. It's just a waste of time.

Sarcasm

HC mode here is just as terrible when de-sync is the key motivator and not your own damn skill. You could be the best carebear in the world and de-sync will still screw you.

Unless you do the AHK script log out or portal trick which is just makes HC meaningless.

I am just angry at de-sync..it ruined this game for me. Regardless of league. Who cares if I can dodge arrows..forget it rather have de-sync out.

Still playing but just getting fed up.

909 hours of playtime and I can't 5L or 6L a damn item. Meanwhile, I read about someone on forum getting a 6L in six fusings, or a guild member getting one with a single fusing.

New gem mechanics, etc, are cool, but if the socketing, fusing and crafting systems remain as they are, I'm eventually out. It's just a waste of time.

I've had success with 5 linking on 2 items that I sold. When I've actually tried 5/6L on my primary weapon, I've had no luck. I think it's better to just spend the currency buying items that are already 5 or 6L rather than trying to attempt it yourself.

Rufus

I was more lucky with links. I actually managed to 5-link my main weapon on my Scion. Was a nice sword, too, ~440 top end. I also found more 5L than ever, on vendors and on the ground. Must have been 5 in total. Never seen a 6L outside Tabula though. Not a single one.

Boken

Banned
you should be able to buy a decent 5L at that point I think

just never play expecting a 6L. dont even think about the skill gem combos for it. its not worth the pain

I bought a Tabula Rasa for messing around with 6 link skill combos. I also use it for farming docks with IIQ ans IIR gems attached to whatever main killing skill I'm using. Of course I only do this right after leveling so the occasional death doesn't matter .

Kammie

you should be able to buy a decent 5L at that point I think

just never play expecting a 6L. dont even think about the skill gem combos for it. its not worth the pain
It's not possible. Once you've tasted what it's like with a Tabula, you just can't go back!

Boken

Banned
the Vaal patch media blitz has begun: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...ice-of-the-Vaal-Expansion-Preview.html/page/1

Summary:
- vaal orbs can corrupt gear (modify gear - adds an intrinsic line i think)
- vaal orbs are found
- uber gems require souls to cast
- vaal artifacts occur every so often during gameplay and corrupt the area around them. corrupted areas will have new "bosses" (?) and is where you will find vaal orbs
- AMBUSH league (softcore): treasure chests guarded by monsters - monsters can be customised? (like maps but for chests)
- INVASION league (hardcore): new challenging bosses with new mechanics appear!
- vaal artifact fragments: complete the artifact to unlock new area(s)
- APEX OF SACRIFICE (a new dungeon?): first 100 to kill the boss in here get a cosmetic reward!
- PVP MODES!: cutthroat mode (unsure if it is its own "league") and FFA arena

note: I believe when he refers to "bosses" he means uniques

Rufus

- vaal orbs can corrupt gear (modify gear - adds an intrinsic line i think)
My understanding is that they change the implicit mod on gear to something random and mark it as corrupted as well.

- vaal artifacts occur every so often during gameplay and corrupt the area around them. corrupted areas will have new "bosses" (?) and is where you will find vaal orbs
New bosses probably refers to unique monsters that inhabit almost every zone as it is. Perpetus and the like.

- INVASION league (hardcore): new challenging bosses with new mechanics appear!
Man, the name almost suggested something more wild... Those new mechanics better be rock solid. :/

note: I believe when he refers to "bosses" he means uniques
Yeah, most probably. Wonder if they'll add more models or repurpose some of the enemy models. Boss bird incoming...

Alebeard

Neo Member
hype post?
HYPE POST.

anyone have planned build for new leagues?
Im going to roll Curse/Aura support charrie that'll transition into MF gear to start, I think. Had a buddie that ran one last league that would bump me from 10k to 24k dps when he was on. Should be a fun first run.
Doing Desecrate/Det Dead crit striker later though.

I'm hoping there will be more than one guildie online when the patch hits so I can get help with corrupted areas! =)

I don't know what my starter character will be for scrubcore. It sucks that I'm not a racer, so I'm not exactly prepared to play in a totally reset league (I muddled my way through Domination and only when it ended, had a 60+ character).

Boken

Banned
I'm hoping there will be more than one guildie online when the patch hits so I can get help with corrupted areas! =)

I don't know what my starter character will be for scrubcore. It sucks that I'm not a racer, so I'm not exactly prepared to play in a totally reset league (I muddled my way through Domination and only when it ended, had a 60+ character).

corrupted areas are like maps i believe

theyre maps + a red hue + new unique boss

corrupted areas are like maps i believe

theyre maps + a red hue + new unique boss

Yup, but you randomly encounter them as they tear through "reality", so it's stuff that you can plan for (like maps). You run across one, you put up a guild bat signal to bum rush it (I hope loot is shared)

red13th

So much new stuff makes me want to jump back to this game, but then I remember the desync, kind of ruined my experience. I played a Cyclone Duelist, desync was awful.

Kammie

I was excited for corruption at first but not now. Truth is, corruption is just more rng heaped onto an already insane amount of rng. Do I really want to chance having my uber item get its rolls modified, or my 20/20 gem getting downgraded to level of 19? Knowing how I already NEVER get the results I want?

It's just more gambling. And it's the one thing people keep asking GGG to get rid of, but it seems they're hellbent on designing their game around it. I just can't agree.

Rest of the stuff looks fine. I'm intending to stay on standard, but I may dabble in the new softcore league a bit to see how the new system is. But I can already imagine drop rates not being altered and now not having enough currency for either trading, crafting, mapping, or changing the stats on these treasure vaults.

I was excited for corruption at first but not now. Truth is, corruption is just more rng heaped onto an already insane amount of rng. Do I really want to chance having my uber item get its rolls modified, or my 20/20 gem getting downgraded to level of 19? Knowing how I already NEVER get the results I want?

It's just more gambling. And it's the one thing people keep asking GGG to get rid of, but it seems they're hellbent on designing their game around it. I just can't agree.

Rest of the stuff looks fine. I'm intending to stay on standard, but I may dabble in the new softcore league a bit to see how the new system is. But I can already imagine drop rates not being altered and now not having enough currency for either trading, crafting, mapping, or changing the stats on these treasure vaults.

Well if you want perfect gear in a few days, you can always play D3. =P

Kammie

Well if you want perfect gear in a few days, you can always play D3. =P
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something after 4 months (950 hours playtime), honestly. I had two months of zero progress because of nothing but RNG.

Also, I'd pay money to see the day when people quit justifying this game's flaws by calling others scrubs or telling them to go play D3. This game isn't hardcore, it's flawed. It's a good game, but it's flawed like hell.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something after 4 months (950 hours playtime), honestly. I had two months of zero progress because of nothing but RNG.

Also, I'd pay money to see the day when people quit justifying this game's flaws by calling others scrubs or telling them to go play D3. This game isn't hardcore, it's flawed. It's a good game, but it's flawed like hell.

2 months of no progression? So some veterans can get geared up and get to 80 in a few days and you have no progression in 2 months.

I think you're doing something wrong. Even I can progress into 70+ map pools within a couple of weeks.

Boken

Banned

commentary about the gambling aspects of the game doesnt actually discuss its flaws though

so thats a little off topic no?

anyway, RE: vaal orbs - its just that - gambling. diablo will have gambling itself and its always a money sink in games.

vaal orbs cant actually degrade your gear though, iirc, it will always add an intrinsic line, rather than roll anything else. so in terms of high tier gear, youre not really 'risking' anything.

corruption actually increases your access to currency - at the least, you are guaranteed to get the vaal orb in corrupted areas. this makes money generation a little less RNG

its true that playing self found is a little hard in PoE, but i also feel like youre underestimating how much currency you have. when i played nemesis for two weeks, i only saw one exalt drop - but in combination with all my other orbs, i easily had over 10 ex which could have netted me gear which wouldve allowed me to farm 72+ maps for currency

2 months of no progression? So some veterans can get geared up and get to 80 in a few days and you have no progression in 2 months.

I think you're doing something wrong. Even I can progress into 70+ map pools within a couple of weeks.

He was running lvl 70+ maps with me a long long time ago (I quit months ago I think), I assume he is way past that now

he is right that the rng on gear rolls is strong, you can go through 100+ ilvl 78+ rares before you find one that is worth keeping/selling , let alone one that has a roll better than what you already have
One you get to a certain gear level and a certain level (lvl 80-85 or so) you basically hit a wall in this game unless you win the lottery or spend weeks painstakingly selling one half mediocre roll item at a time to buy something really good

I doubt you'll find many high level players disagreeing with me that going self found at endgame is really not an option, especially with how many stats you have to balance (resists, hp and whatever it is you might need for your build) and how specific your needs will be for your last few slots of your gear because of it
the odds of finding what you need and getting a good roll on it are astronomical

for a game that is about coming up with unique builds, it really discourages going for builds with specific stat /regen combination needs
I had a lvl 81 spectral thrower without blood magic before I quit that deviated from the cookie cutter builds and my build was held together only by having enough mp leech , a mandatory minimum amount of mana and the life leech to sustain me in lvl 70+ maps
Trying to self find the gear for it would be madness (yet it was easy enough to just buy the parts on poe.xyz from people who did get the 1 in ten thousand roll that is perect for me but of zero value to them)

I quit because I eventually got bored of dumping hundreds of ilvl 70-75 rares into the vendor each evening without finding single quality roll

edit: to clarify , as you get to higher ilvls it becomes harder to find good rolls as you can roll the entire spectrum of values for each individual suffix/affix
so rolling actual ilvl 60+ rolls 5-7 x on an item is extreeeeeemely rare (I'm not talking perfect rolls here btw!, just hitting the roll range for the ilvl your item is in, and not for a lvl 10 item) , and obviously the values of those ilvl 1-40 rolls that might still be of some use on lower lvl gear are now negligable and useless
one way to make it less rng would be to have higher ilvl items have a higher chance to roll a higher ilvl stat , but they don't so the odds are extremely low

He was running lvl 70+ maps with me a long long time ago (I quit months ago I think), I assume he is way past that now

he is right that the rng on gear rolls is strong, you can go through 100+ ilvl 78+ rares before you find one that is worth keeping/selling , let alone one that has a roll better than what you already have
One you get to a certain gear level and a certain level (lvl 80-85 or so) you basically hit a wall in this game unless you win the lottery or spend weeks painstakingly selling one half mediocre roll item at a time to buy something really good

I doubt you'll find many high level players disagreeing with me that going self found at endgame is really not an option, especially with how many stats you have to balance (resists, hp and whatever it is you might need for your build) and how specific your needs will be for your last few slots of your gear because of it
the odds of finding what you need and getting a good roll on it are astronomical

for a game that is about coming up with unique builds, it really discourages going for builds with specific stat /regen combination needs
I had a lvl 81 spectral thrower without blood magic before I quit that deviated from the cookie cutter builds and my build was held together only by having enough mp leech , a minimum amount of mana and the life leech to sustain me in lvl 70+ maps
Trying to self find the gear for it would be madness (yet it was easy enough to just buy the parts on poe.xyz from people who did get the 1 in ten thousand roll that is perect for me but of zero value to them)

Sounds like people should stop doing self-found if they seriously want to progress. Trade is there for a reason. It mitigates the risks of item crafting and let's you trade gear that is great for other people in return for gear that's good for you.

I've seen absolutely perfect gear 90 days to 2 months into the leagues. 6L high base chest with top brackets in max life, armor%, base armor, max str, fire and lightning res. 2 months can easily whip up a few mirrors and exalts to gain those kinds of items.

Sounds like people should stop doing self-found if they seriously want to progress. Trade is there for a reason. It mitigates the risks of item crafting and let's you trade gear that is great for other people in return for gear that's good for you.

I've seen absolutely perfect gear 90 days to 2 months into the leagues. 6L high base chest with top brackets in max life, armor%, base armor, max str, fire and lightning res. 2 months can easily whip up a few mirrors and exalts to gain those kinds of items.

Finding a good item you can use in these skinnerbox type games is enjoyable for the people who play them
if you're just grinding out currency to trade for the item you want it's more like a job and not very exciting

Surely you can understand where his complaints about rng come from

the perfect gear in two months is because they hit the jackpot and found an insane drop that sold for like 30 exalts
Personally, some lucky nights I made 4-5 exalt (part of which is reinvested in more map runs), on others not even one (net loss)
if you know what a bell curve looks like you'll have to agree that it won't be much fun if you land on the edges a few too many times

that's why kam called it gambling, because it is, you put in your time and pray for a payout before you run out of the chips you painstakingly gathered like a squirrel for winter

before the increase in map droprates not too long ago you could very easily simply run out of (very expensive) lvl 70-75 maps (especially if you like to do solo runs) by rng and if you didn't find anything great you just invested all your currency on rerolling the highest maps for nothing and now have to start doing the 66-69 ones again hoping to find more 70+ ones
Which is again gambling

fans like to call the game hardcore but you also have to be a masochist to take part in endgame with how it is set up

Anyone who wants to get past 85+ is a masochist. That's their intended design.
Regular playthrough is good enough for the majority, and very enjoyable at that.

A loot game's endgame of obtaining absolutely perfect gear has to be close to impossible.

Regular playthrough is good enough for the majority, and very enjoyable at that.

A loot game's endgame of obtaining absolutely perfect gear has to be close to impossible.

True that

I wasn't talking about perfect rolls though, just the right ones for your build (and to balance out your other items e.g you get whatever 5-6 link chest and 400+ dps 2h / 250+dps 1h weapon with useful stats you can find, then fill it out with the remaining things you need on boots/gloves/helmet etc and those are some really specific rolls you'll need )

also the devs make a big stink about how unique their map system is (and a lot of people I knew ingame played with those being their goal) ,but as regular player you'll really only get to do the 66-69 ones, the 70+ ones are where the game becomes masochist mode due to first and foremost the cost and also requirements of running them

Boken

Banned
i think at that stage im sure you understand which builds are risker than otehrs in terms of good gear (i.e. CI, dagger builds etc)

its the balancing of risk, personal economy, character progression and theorycrafting that makes the game rewarding for me

tbh, you should never make a build reliant on 6Ls anyway.

I think the leagues are the ideal play area for this game. currency is such a huge issue in standard such that perhaps even after a few months of play you wont be able to afford a key piece.

you guys should play the new leagues right at the start with us :) its seriously the best time to generate currency

Kammie

There's no way I can locate the post I want to refer to by a dev, because it was old and I saw it at work. But he essentially mentioned how people's expectations are shaped by what they see streamers do and if they're not able to get gear like theirs, they take it out against the devs.

Then they go and release the Sacrifice of the Vaal trailer... in which every single character is wielding two 6L pieces of gear.

....yeah.

Anyway, I'm playing just fine. The simple fact is that all I want is to be able to at the very least 5L the two pieces of gear I've had in my stash for two months, and RNG is just fucking me over. I am not going to grind out 10 exalts for a 5L or 30 for a 6L at this point, especially not when I've rolled four off-colors on my gear that took me all the chromes I spent 3 months farming, and which I'd probably never be able to replicate.

The game is just sadistic and all crafting hinges on a shitty system where every attempt you make to improve an item can give you the absolute lowest possible roll in the game. I don't know how people who put 250 eternals/exalts into an item do it, how they can deal with getting results like "+4 mana gained on kill." Probably because they RMT, because it's just not possible to afford that many eternals and exalts with regular play, even if you play 14 hours a day with a 6-man party with a 480/100 culler.

you guys should play the new leagues right at the start with us :) its seriously the best time to generate currency
You'll be able to afford a good unique or rare, like I did in this past league by maintaining a shop (there was a very noticeable point where people just stopped buying as they had everything they needed), but you'll end up back at the same spot--unable to craft.

There's no way I can locate the post I want to refer to by a dev, because it was old and I saw it at work. But he essentially mentioned how people's expectations are shaped by what they see streamers do and if they're not able to get gear like theirs, they take it out against the devs.

Then they go and release the Sacrifice of the Vaal trailer... in which every single character is wielding two 6L pieces of gear.

....yeah.

Anyway, I'm playing just fine. The simple fact is that all I want is to be able to at the very least 5L the two pieces of gear I've had in my stash for two months, and RNG is just fucking me over. I am not going to grind out 10 exalts for a 5L or 30 for a 6L at this point, especially not when I've rolled four off-colors on my gear that took me all the chromes I spent 3 months farming, and which I'd probably never be able to replicate.

The game is just sadistic and all crafting hinges on a shitty system where every attempt you make to improve an item can give you the absolute lowest possible roll in the game. I don't know how people who put 250 eternals/exalts into an item do it, how they can deal with getting results like "+4 mana gained on kill." Probably because they RMT, because it's just not possible to afford that many eternals and exalts with regular play, even if you play 14 hours a day with a 6-man party with a 480/100 culler.

http://www.twitch.tv/morsrageng/c/3280122

I'll just leave this here. He spent 2-3 eternals a day and doesn't RMT if you think people can't do it.

Top Bottom