• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

I'm curious if they did any class balancing (or overall balancing) with this patch. Also, rumors of a skill tree change will be proven/disproven tomorrow.

Kammie

I'm curious if they did any class balancing (or overall balancing) with this patch. Also, rumors of a skill tree change will be proven/disproven tomorrow.
It's not a rumor. GGG has stated Shadow and Duelist areas are getting reworked, they asked for feedback on forum and said they'd take it all into account for the patch.

Witch area should also be getting reworked a bit for survivability. Other changes should just be numerical, but everyone is getting a free respec.

Boken

Banned
Here is the list of 18 Vaal Gems that currently have artwork. We know that 17 of them will be in 1.1.0 but specifics are not available yet.

Skill Name
Vaal Arc
Vaal Burning Arrow
Vaal Cold Snap
Vaal Cyclone
Vaal Detonate Dead
Vaal Fireball
Vaal Glacial Hammer
Vaal Groundslam
Vaal Heavy Strike
Vaal Ice Nova
Vaal Immortal Call
Vaal Lightning Strike
Vaal Lightning Warp
Vaal Molten Shell
Vaal Power Siphon
Vaal Rain of Arrows
Vaal Spark
Vaal Spectral Throw

Morokh

Is the skill tree calculator on the website already updated with the upcoming changes (or will it be the same day as the patch ?)

syko de4d

The way leech applies to the player has changed. If you leech additional life while currently leeching, it no longer queues after the current leech. Technically, where multiple leeches are stacked, the largest one is used.

No idea how to survive now, maybe i should start with a LGOH build in the new league and watch what other do with the new life leech.

Maybe PoE is becoming to hardcore for me :lol

V_Arnold

Anyone else having trouble deciding what character to make at start? :)

Yes, absolutely. I tried many things in Domination, but now I have no idea what to go with.

Looking at the Vaal-able skill gems do not exactly help either, as I see no obvious "winner" in that. But I am leaning towards a Desecrate/Detonate Dead/Minion Instability summoner atm.

And beside that, I shall start a spectral thrower character as well, just to not put all my eggs in one (potentially subject to later nerfs) basket.

Zynx

Just started playing this game with a witch on hardcore - can't believe I'm joining just as +item quantity is getting removed...

Anyways, I wanted to ask - how does one generally go about trading? What's the economy like?
If I wanted something with +1 level to ice gems with a linked blue/green sockets, how difficult would that to be obtain?

Which active gems are good at hitting the same target multiple times with lesser/greater multiple projectiles?

GAF guild etiquette? Oh, and what information do I PM to the officers to join? Account name?

Boken

Banned
Just started playing this game with a witch on hardcore - can't believe I'm joining just as +item quantity is getting removed...

Anyways, I wanted to ask - how does one generally go about trading? What's the economy like?
If I wanted something with +1 level to ice gems with a linked blue/green sockets, how difficult would that to be obtain?

Which active gems are good at hitting the same target multiple times with lesser/greater multiple projectiles?

GAF guild etiquette? Oh, and what information do I PM to the officers to join? Account name?
join us on the new leagues zynx!!

generally, finding most stuff will require you to use poe.xyz. try not to use too much currency on your gear while leveling

re: LMP - coldsnap can "shotgun" (hitting multiple times in one cast).... thats all i remember :)

I played a spectral throw scion through all domination but it was pretty weak compared to some other classes I saw people playing with. Anyone know if the Ranger(archer whatever he is called) is good? I mean good as in can actually solo the final boss without dying. I am thinking Elemental weapon damage lightning arrow.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Is the skill tree calculator on the website already updated with the upcoming changes (or will it be the same day as the patch ?)

They said it will be update 2 hours before the new patch went live. The skill tree calculator is linked to the game, so they can't really change it too far ahead.

Kammie

Disappointing patch notes. The game keeps going in a direction that pisses me off.

Can't believe they made IIQ legacy after all.

V_Arnold

Disappointing patch notes. The game keeps going in a direction that pisses me off.

Can't believe they made IIQ legacy after all.

Please elaborate on this, i am interested on how this is possible. As IIQ/IIR was always (and will alwayys be) just a magnifying glass for the slightest of imbalances. The more powerful your build is, the less it depednds on gear, the more you can have, and the more IIQ/IIR benefits you. Therefore, I am always happy to see it getting removed/nerfed/whatever.

Kammie

Please elaborate on this, i am interested on how this is possible. As IIQ/IIR was always (and will alwayys be) just a magnifying glass for the slightest of imbalances. The more powerful your build is, the less it depednds on gear, the more you can have, and the more IIQ/IIR benefits you. Therefore, I am always happy to see it getting removed/nerfed/whatever.
Not everyone wants to start over in new four-month leagues. I personally still want to see my characters reach their potential.

Legacy items already create a divide between the wealthy and the poor. It's bad enough as it is, except now, anyone going into standard is not going to have the option to get IIQ, so the veterans will get wealthier while the newer players struggle. You are effectively creating a divide not just in terms of gear, but in ability to get drops. And yes, I have two IIQ gems already, and this annoys me. (Let's not even talk about the fact they're not adjusting drop rates as a result of the removal of IIQ to compensate... as if drops weren't abysmal and unrewarding enough as it is)

GGG has cited a lot of excuses for allowing legacy gear, from the time it would take to review items to the server downtime editing them would require. I think it's a mistake to keep them in, they can easily take down the server for one hour at the end of every four-month league to edit the 4000 copies of a certain item that are out there.

It also doesn't make sense how they're so afraid of pissing off players who have an OP legacy item, but they'll happily and willingly fuck over everyone playing the game every time they change the skill tree by making their builds unviable. The Vaal Pact change here is just insane, among other things.

I'm also extremely disappointed in the implementation of Vaal Orbs, which are just more RNG that no sane person is ever going to chance on items they spent months perfecting or farming for. And it's ridiculous that I will have to farm low-level areas looking for these corrupted zones, since they're not going to be in any way accessible from maps. This is not a productive way to spend my endgame time.

I don't know, I just no longer see benefit for the player in the game. They keep nerfing things, now they make not just gear but a game mechanic legacy, and everything keeps heading towards the RNG side instead of the slightest bit of progression for time spent. It was enjoyable at first, but when you've put in so much effort and still end up with nothing to show for it because of nothing but bad droprates/broken RNG, it just embitters you.

May sound like QQ, but there's not one player I know who doesn't complain about these very things. And most aren't vocal about Standard because they're willing to start over, but ask them and they'll tell you it's a "shithole."

Rufus

The solution to the rich getting richer problem is to reset the economy, which the new leagues are there for. The fact that they're optional is both a boon and a curse, but I think the system works and keeps the game alive.
The new leagues also mitigate the gear progression problem that affects pretty much all loot games. The higher you climb, the harder it gets to make progress. If you instead just start a new character along with the new content your whole outlook might change.
They could of course flatten out the curve in every way, but I think that makes for a less interesting (and shorter lived) game.

And as far as nerfs go... Every bit of new content has the potential to upset whatever balance there is, which the devs have to keep on top of. It sucks for people who play the legacy leagues who have the ground shift under them (which is why they're a double edged sword), but the game has to keep evolving or risk stagnation. Nerf, buff, nerf, buff. That's just how it is.

Personally, I don't stay attached to my characters for too long. "Perfecting" a character has never been a big draw to me, especially considering how time intensive and downright boring it is. Leveling slows down to a crawl and gear upgrades naturally get rarer and rarer. Crafting the perfect item, chasing jackpot items in general, leveling to 100, all that stuff. Meh. I'd rather try out a new build with whatever wealth I've accumulated.
My characters are on borrowed time once the build works and I've finished the regular content. It helps me deal with and take advantage of the changes (and HC deaths...). In fact, I nuked all my characters a couple of weeks ago in preparation for the new leagues.

My suggestion: Start fresh in the new leagues, see how much you actually enjoy playing the game, rather than playing your character.
If that's not fun then you're just done. Play something else, maybe come back later. Can't wring blood from a stone.

V_Arnold

Kammie: Thanks, I never even considered the perspective of Standard here. In that regard, you are absolutely right, GGG is afraid of touching its Holy Cows, aka Diamond/regal/whatever Supporters who abuse every single gameplay mechanic they can to get an economical advantage.

That kind of lifestyle irritates me to no end, it irritated me with people farming Goblins and barrels on Inferno and chaindeathing to Act3 before it got nerfed. It irritates me with Exploitarian and his many journeys into "abuse something then whine that it is getting boring", and it certainly pisses me off with sharks ingame, advertising THE SALE OF YOUR LIFE: 2 CHAOS ORB FOR ONLY 5 CHAOS ORBS! ALSO IN HERE: 6-LINK ME MY ITEM, AND GET A SCROLL OF WISDOM.

Power keeps flowing to these kinds of players, and that is irritating in the long term. However, I see no hardcore game developer going against the kind that most likely suits their own playstyle as well.

To those complaining about the LL changes: all it does is prevent you from continuing to heal alot after you kill the enemy. You'll still get the same heal even if you do hit a group.

Now Vaal Pact on the other hand... ooh boy is this a great change. Life based VP melee builds hoorah

Kammie

You can play around with it here:

www.poebuilder.com/

From 4300 to 3700 life or so on my ranger build due to Scion life wheel nerf. Unable to make that up elsewhere, build is probably ruined as a result.

One strike after another for this patch.

Boken

Banned
You can play around with it here:

www.poebuilder.com/

From 4300 to 3700 life or so on my ranger build due to Scion life wheel nerf. Unable to make that up elsewhere, build is probably ruined as a result.

One strike after another for this patch.

thats a bit of a negative way of thinking about it. be positive! its a great time to think of another build.

------------

what is everybody's launch plan? what builds are yall starting with, which difficulty?

also - hholy shit who do i have to ask to be invited to gafguild

V_Arnold

I am pretty sure I will start a hybrid iceshot/elemental equilibrum/ranger with summons, detonate dead and possibly Desecrate/Rain of arrows. Will see about the last part.

Because why not? I do not know if it will be effective enough for endgame. But it will be good enough for farming pre-70 maps and potentially Piety/Atziri as well.

(And by ranger, I mean Scion. :p)

Rufus

I'll be playing a Ground Slam Marauder or Templar, not sure yet. Just to build wealth. I'll try to supplement damage and utility with Glacial Hammer, always wanted to do something with that skill. Ambush league, because I can't not play HC, even if it sounds less interesting this time around. Nothing is set in stone though.

Maybe I'll actually trade stuff this time, see how that goes.

Oh, and I still have to clean out my stash... orz

syko de4d

Will start with summoner, didnt play one since 2012. With the new skilltree changes in 1.1 Witch should be better than scion for it, still dont know how to skill. Only some hours left to figure it out :O

Will start with summoner, didnt play one since 2012. With the new skilltree changes in 1.1 Witch should be better than scion for it, still dont know how to skill. Only some hours left to figure it out :O

One of the things I've noticed with summoners, when I first played (first character!) and at the start of Domination, is that summoners are really gear/gem heavy. You can go with the quest gems and dopey gear, but it's really stuff like Sidhe's, Ullr's, and nice minion gems that make or break the build.

My first will probably be a melee or ranged character (specific, I know!). I plan on acquiring some drops before determining what my main for this league will be.

Kammie

thats a bit of a negative way of thinking about it. be positive! its a great time to think of another build.
I may have miscalculated by about 100 HP, so I'll be missing out on a little less life than I anticipated.

Playing around with poebuilder.com here at work during my lunch break... Looks like I'll be going into the Shadow area instead to take advantage of crit chance, but I'm still going to have much less life than I did originally. Not happy with the nerf at all, evasion bow builds have it rough enough against physical spells as is, just a few hits can kill you. There is just no way to get sufficient health unless you get all 99+ life gear with all the other perfect stats you need--and those items don't exist, I was barely able to replace some of my stuff after two months of checking xyz semi-daily. All these gear checks make things too restrictive at endgame. You end up dying due to desync and overtuned mobs instead of lack of skill.

I think the problem is that GGG is trying to balance everything in such a way that you're barely able to stay alive... which would be fine and dandy if the game wasn't plagued by the huge technical issue that is desync. I've lost count of the times I've died to it now. You NEED life to compensate for it.

Gothos

Two questions:

1. Is there still room in GAF guiid?
2. What should I give for an invite: character name or account name?

V_Arnold

Patching process started!

NJVAWjs.jpg

Excited as fuck.

I was a crazy player for the last few leagues and was burnt out...was gonna migrate to Reaper of Souls (and pre-ordered it) but I'm kind of excited for this new league again.

The Vaal skill gems are 100% meh, but I'm still excited for the rest.

Tom Penny

I put many many hours into this game on many builds but at higher levels you run into the game revolving around trading to get most characters to efficiently run high end game content / farming due the unique drops that are Diablo III esque when it first came out. Then you end up advancing by trading instead of getting rewarded for playing..granted you are technically earing currency by farming. Run a 75+ map and get a damn level 0 requirement buckler or a 70 map. C'mon mang. That shouldn't even be possible.

Top Bottom