• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Kettch

Heh, died in a Mud Flats corrupted area. Mass storm call took me from full health to nothing instantly. Guess it wasn't the best idea to try that so early with no equipment. :p

Rufus

Some of the Invasion bosses are insane. The giant bear, the spider, the god damned totem that killed me twice, the summoning and soul eating sea witch and whatever it was that killed me the first time; seemed to have Merveil's model from her first phase, only blood red... Man...
Basically, if you're low level still, let's say below 10, don't even try to touch those. The goatman shaman, lightning strike chatters and the bandit are easy though.

I encountered a corrupted zone, too. Easy mod (25%+ enemy life), the area was very small and the boss (some Goatman shaman) was easy, too. Got Vall Spectral Throw out of it.
As hinted at by a dev, it gives it a spiraling arc, like D2's Blessed Hammer. Without any supports, it feels worse than regular SpecThrow. Especially since you have to charge it up with slain enemies first.

Skab

Like 4 hours and 5 characters later, I've yet to make it past the ledge in Invasion.

Bordering more on frustrating and less on fun now.

Also doesn't seem to be very solo friendly, which bums me out.

Like 4 hours and 5 characters later, I've yet to make it past the ledge in Invasion.

Bordering more on frustrating and less on fun now.

Also doesn't seem to be very solo friendly, which bums me out.

I died on the first corrupt place I found, granted I was level 2 at the time. Some of the new bosses are hard. I think it is just because it is all new though. Which I find exciting. Just killed Brutus and I'm probably calling it a night.

Cerity

Really enjoying all teh changes so far. Corrupted areas are fun and the strongboxes are good incentive to explore the map.

Zynx

So, fireball + lesser multiple projectiles is pretty fun. With zombies.

Anyways, I've been dutifully snagging every 3 color linked item I can find and have a good supply of chromatic orbs but much less of everything else. How do I make sure I don't get ripped off if I want to trade for something else? Actually, what's the entire trade process like? I've been pretty much playing solo with all chat turned off so far.

Also - how the heck am I supposed to get to 75% resistances, especially when there's a penalty in the higher difficulty levels? Right now I have like...9%? Midway through Act 3 on the first difficulty level.

Don't think I'm going to jump into the new leagues just yet - haven't even played through the game once yet.

Boken

Banned

Anyways, I've been dutifully snagging every 3 color linked item I can find and have a good supply of chromatic orbs but much less of everything else. How do I make sure I don't get ripped off if I want to trade for something else? Actually, what's the entire trade process like? I've been pretty much playing solo with all chat turned off so far.

Also - how the heck am I supposed to get to 75% resistances, especially when there's a penalty in the higher difficulty levels? Right now I have like...9%? Midway through Act 3 on the first difficulty level.

Don't think I'm going to jump into the new leagues just yet - haven't even played through the game once yet.
i highly recommend you do the new leagues - just so you can trade at the very least. everything costs approx 5x more in standard.

do ambush, the new hook is easily understandable but also very fun.

gear gives a lot of resists at high level - from 20-35% resistances

75% is pretty easy the further you go in the game but starting out you mostly use the elemental resist rings. Not only do they give a pretty big chunk of resist for one element, more often then not, they also come with extra resists to elements. Also, always save a set of the resist rings for each element so you can swap in and out for the different zones, like maxing fire resist as you go into the Crematorium but swap to lightning rings before you start the Piety fight.

KevinRo

My goodness. After getting one shot 3 times in invasion, I got to the ledge and just farmed. Killed Brutus easily. Games gotten much easier after getting past the 1 shot kill you mini bosses.

Kammie

The Vaal Orb is GGG trolling to the utmost degree. They said items wouldn't be worse off when you used them. People have tried them on legacy uniques like Kaom's or a 6L Marohi's and they've turned them into a rare and a rare with 5 unlinked sockets, respectively.

I don't think that's cool at all. It takes such a tremendous effort to 6L something or get some of this gear, and they just play a joke at the expense of the players who are paying their wages.

Boken

Banned
The Vaal Orb is GGG trolling to the utmost degree. They said items wouldn't be worse off when you used them. People have tried them on legacy uniques like Kaom's or a 6L Marohi's and they've turned them into a rare and a rare with 5 unlinked sockets, respectively.

I don't think that's cool at all. It takes such a tremendous effort to 6L something or get some of this gear, and they just play a joke at the expense of the players who are paying their wages.

its hard to say - just as other orbs have the chance to degrade the power of gear drastically, Vaal Orbs are another in the "gambling line" of orbs, rather than the "additive" like exalts.

Unique to rare is pretty destructive (perhaps it should just give it the lowest stats?), but the maligaros with lvl10 vulnerability on hit or the white socket aegis are pretty godly.

perhaps they should be more clear that it can be negative effects? anyway, the people with uniqued to rare items seem like they knew what they were getting into - so idk.

Kammie

its hard to say - just as other orbs have the chance to degrade the power of gear drastically, Vaal Orbs are another in the "gambling line" of orbs, rather than the "additive" like exalts.

Unique to rare is pretty destructive (perhaps it should just give it the lowest stats?), but the maligaros with lvl10 vulnerability on hit or the white socket aegis are pretty godly.

perhaps they should be more clear that it can be negative effects? anyway, the people with uniqued to rare items seem like they knew what they were getting into - so idk.
It's fine that it's a gamble, it's clear enough this is the direction the game is heading in. If you don't want to you just don't do it.

I just don't agree with there not being a huge warning to think twice about it, particularly on the patch notes and on the first day, where everyone is excited to try new mechanics. I'm sure more than the few people who posted on the forums got suckered into this with the deceptive interviews, where, let's be honest, they made it seem like using these was no big deal. The preview notes for the expansion also barely hint at negatives. Just take a look at them: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/807869

The guy who lost his 6L Marohi was pretty pissed, said he gave away all his currency and is quitting the game. I felt bad for him. Meanwhile in the GGG offices they're probably high-fiving each other for the successful troll.

If I remember, on one of the previews of Sacrifice of the Vaal, Chris was explaining how the Vaal orbs could give a skill gem a +1 to it's level or it could give it a -1 on it's level. So I thought it was understood that using a Vaal orb could screw up or enhance an item. However, looking at the site's wording for the Vaal orb, it does make it out to be a lot better then I remember the preview being, with nothing on how the Vaal orb is a big ass gamble for one more extra stat on a finished item. That said, I wasn't a fan of Vaal orbs from the preview, I'm already getting fucked by normal currency, no way a one-time only roll would be any better.

Now to shift gears: This new league sure wants you dead.
UWlwyuP.jpg

If I remember, on one of the previews of Sacrifice of the Vaal, Chris was explaining how the Vaal orbs could give a skill gem a +1 to it's level or it could give it a -1 on it's level. So I thought it was understood that using a Vaal orb could screw up or enhance an item. However, looking at the site's wording for the Vaal orb, it does make it out to be a lot better then I remember the preview being, with nothing on how the Vaal orb is a big ass gamble for one more extra stat on a finished item. That said, I wasn't a fan of Vaal orbs from the preview, I'm already getting fucked by normal currency, no way a one-time only roll would be any better.

Now to shift gears: This new league sure wants you dead.

Damn that's brutal.

I am looking for a ranger build that is not too gear dependent but is effective at high level. I am thinking either split arrow? or LA? anyone have any ideas?

new league is insane. Really bad when you pull 2 bosses on accident. Just died to that bear trap boss at the start of act 3 because I was kiting another boss and triggered him.

Is the gaf guild still up? I seem to have been kicked probably for inactivity.

Hey guys, I've been out of the game for a year. Any build recommendation for a witch in Invasion league?

For witch? Don't know but Templar searing bonds is favor of the month right now since it's cheap it get running and damage is fairly good till end game, where you start to drop off in DPS output. However, you do have a lot of tankyness to the build so party/solo play shouldn't be a problem at all.

But if that ain't your thing, I was making a witch to use firestorm but ended up wanting to use Incinerate. As I was still messing around with my skills in-game, I came across this build for a GMP Incinerate/shock build that looked pretty fun (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/811707).

I am looking for a ranger build that is not too gear dependent but is effective at high level. I am thinking either split arrow? or LA? anyone have any ideas?

LA is still good. I've seen some split arrow stuff as well as Rain of Arrows, hell I'm seeing a lot more 2h builds, mainly using spookytoss.

Kammie

As someone who is not starting in the new leagues and is continuing his endgame characters on Standard, this patch ended up an incredible disappointment.

You have Atziri hidden behind layers of RNG--four map fragment drops. And you have those map fragment drops hidden behind MORE layers of RNG--the randomly-spawning corrupted zones. Which are not available in maps, but instead, low-level zones. And they may not even drop map fragments.

I've spent about 5 hours or so now trying to farm for the corrupted areas, and I've only come across 3. And they take me 2 minutes tops to faceroll each.

This is incredibly tedious, incredibly boring, and incredibly broken. And if you start a new character, sure, you may come across more corrupted areas, but in the end you'll still hit endgame, and you'll have to go through with this.

I'm just getting tired of all this RNG and all the gated content.

I'd hold out hope for changes, but this is GGG. They just do whatever they feel like while they call it "listening to the players."

gl1tch

Neo Member
Well, died at cruel ledge from a desync. Vaal orb'd a Fire Trap for 20% quality and one shot to Tailsplitter (the ice wall one).

Gonna take a break for a week.

Blitzhex

For witch? Don't know but Templar searing bonds is favor of the month right now since it's cheap it get running and damage is fairly good till end game, where you start to drop off in DPS output. However, you do have a lot of tankyness to the build so party/solo play shouldn't be a problem at all.

But if that ain't your thing, I was making a witch to use firestorm but ended up wanting to use Incinerate. As I was still messing around with my skills in-game, I came across this build for a GMP Incinerate/shock build that looked pretty fun (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/811707).

LA is still good. I've seen some split arrow stuff as well as Rain of Arrows, hell I'm seeing a lot more 2h builds, mainly using spookytoss.

People running around with searing bonds looks very interesting and funny. Incinerate came out about just when I quit the game, trying it out now and it's kinda cool. I really miss my dual totem sporker though, I fucking loved that playstyle :'(.

Edit: Can I get an invite to the GAF guild? Char name is BlitzHax invasion league.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

If you going to take the 6% life on the life wheel near scion, why not just take the 6% life & 6% armor, or the 8% life node near mara?

You might want to give up some of the attack node, and add more life node, you want to get at least 200% health, if you are melee you might need 250% depending on how safe you want.

I suggest using poebuilder.com to plan your build, you might want to consider vaal pact (not sure how good it is after the nerf) for reflect monster. Endurance charges (if you can generate it) for extra defense, and your path got pretty close to all 3 of them.

Nibiru

Banned
As someone who is not starting in the new leagues and is continuing his endgame characters on Standard, this patch ended up an incredible disappointment.

You have Atziri hidden behind layers of RNG--four map fragment drops. And you have those map fragment drops hidden behind MORE layers of RNG--the randomly-spawning corrupted zones. Which are not available in maps, but instead, low-level zones. And they may not even drop map fragments.

I've spent about 5 hours or so now trying to farm for the corrupted areas, and I've only come across 3. And they take me 2 minutes tops to faceroll each.

You can just trade for the piece you are missing if you are having no luck getting it as a drop.

Card Boy

Banned
If you going to take the 6% life on the life wheel near scion, why not just take the 6% life & 6% armor, or the 8% life node near mara?

You might want to give up some of the attack node, and add more life node, you want to get at least 200% health, if you are melee you might need 250% depending on how safe you want.

I suggest using poebuilder.com to plan your build, you might want to consider vaal pact (not sure how good it is after the nerf) for reflect monster. Endurance charges (if you can generate it) for extra defense, and your path got pretty close to all 3 of them.

How is this now?

If i want to make a staff auramancer character is Eldritch Battery viable? Or am i better off just getting reduced mana skills?

Blitzhex

Ripped at 45 invasion, looked away from the screen for a second while spamming incinerate, killed myself by attacking a bunch of reflect mobs. Some of the invaders in this mode are crazy/unkillable. Kinda reminds me of pre-nerf diablo 3 inferno.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
How is this now?

If i want to make a staff auramancer character is Eldritch Battery viable?

It didn't improve much, since you are still a paper cannon. You might want to redo this, I don't think any character can be viable without at least 200% increase life or energy shield.

Go to http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgUA

First step, plan your major nodes, find out which big node you want, so you have a good idea of which direction your skill will be pathing.

Then before you add any offensive skill, get enough life nodes, until you have at least 200% Increased Maximum Life +%. After doing that, you can start punching in the attack skills that you like. Also don't ignore the armor nodes, especially the one that's life & armor hybird.

Make sure the total skill points doesn't exceed 90 points, most people wouldn't grind past that and make a new character instead.

-----
Yeah auramancer is viable, you take Eldritch battery, Mind Over Matter, iron reflexe. Use skill like clarity and arctic armor. for extra defense, you will also have to take some of the mana node along with some of the energy shield & armor node.

Cerity

Just beat Piety on normal with my LA ranger. Decided to mess around with Vaal Burning arrow and I've been using it as my panic button. Seems to be working pretty well paired with LMP with Life Leech. Always a bit of stutter when I use it too.

How about if i want to run like 4-5 auras on a staff character?

Also an aside do you have a link for a 7-8 aura build? I miss my Diablo 2 pally.

edit: is this a shit aura build? I found it on the PoE forums.

You would need a lot of aura reservation reduction passives. All auras, except clarity, take up a percentage of mana in 40% or 60%.

If you check this necro build, this is another auramancer build. The top right area has 25% reduced passives and the top left has 16%. Even if you take all of them and use a reduced mana gem, you can only run 3x 60% and 1x 40% auras.

However, there is the Alpha Howl unique which further reduces 8%, and Prism Guardian reserves life for auras. So people purposely reserve their life and spec only energy shield. That's how people can run 8-9 auras.

A staff character can't do this because they can't use a shield, so you could get 4 at most.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say I like this patch this far. It gives me an incentive to clear the whole map and I really like the reworked marauder.

I went back to D3 to test the new patch...ugh...I think I'm too used to Path now

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's a full passive reset? Total respec of a character due to the patches?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, nice. Maybe I should give up on trying to make Diablo 2's Necromancer since that doesn't seem to be working.

Top Bottom