• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah the lip flapped on the static portraits was kinda weird looking to me at first too. I really don't mind though at this point. Seeing that the game has this extensive of a story mode really gets me psyched, and I'm happy to see it. I've never been a big fan of blazblue, but I appreciate their willingness to put such rich story modes into their games. I'm so tired of things being done the way they are in games like Street Fighter and Tekken, where it's complete nonsense and makes no sense, and has no context.

Onemic

Yeah the lip flapped on the static portraits was kinda weird looking to me at first too. I really don't mind though at this point. Seeing that the game has this extensive of a story mode really gets me psyched, and I'm happy to see it. I've never been a big fan of blazblue, but I appreciate their willingness to put such rich story modes into their games. I'm so tired of things being done the way they are in games like Street Fighter and Tekken, where it's complete nonsense and makes no sense, and has no context.

Street Fighter/Capcom fighters are the worst offenders of this. Just barebones arcade mode with stories that literally make zero sense unless you read up on them in wikis. At least Tekkens is slightly coherent and they go all out in their presentation of the story, even if it's all kinds of crazy.

SerRodrik

Considering that the main draw for me is seeing the Persona 4 characters again, I'm pretty glad too. It's nice to hear some effort was put into it as opposed to just slapping some nonsense together.

cj_iwakura

Andriasang showed some screens released by Atlus that make me think this game is chock full of P3/4 fan service.

Mild NPC spoiler?
I swear Mr. Edogawa is a SCIENTIST working with Labrys now!

TheGreatReptar

Neo Member
Isn't she bottom tier in arcades?

Initial impressions of her when she first came out were that she was really bad. She's been moving up now that people have been figuring out how to use her. I think Jiyuna said on his stream that some people are putting her in top now.

cj_iwakura

It should be interesting to see how the US players mix it up, but if BB's any indication, the JP crews'll be laughing at us.
(We can't have that, now can we?)

Shabrys taking names in this stream.

Sophia

Andriasang showed some screens released by Atlus that make me think this game is chock full of P3/4 fan service.

Mild NPC spoiler?
I swear Mr. Edogawa is a SCIENTIST working with Labrys now!

The story is absolutely amazing. Lots of fanservice indeed. One particular story mode has potentially the best writing I've seen in an Atlus game.

As for your spoiler
That's just a scientist, he's not even named.

Natiko

Banned
I'm in that boat. The only fighting game I've ever played is a month or two of poorly skilled Skullgirls play (and all I know about fighting game theory is what I picked up from that game's tutorials). I'm still psyched for this game though.

The only fighting game I've ever been even moderately good at was SF: 3rd Strike on XBLA for some reason. I pretty much get destroyed on everything else I've ever tried. Even if I'm terrible at the multiplayer there will be plenty of content to get through just on my own which is great (and part of the reason I really liked MK9).

Turlast

Banned
Man, I absolutely can't wait for this game! I can tell I'm going to have fun with the Story and Challenge Mode. Gonna try to refrain from watching videos, tho. That's gonna be tough.

Onemic

The only fighting game I've ever been even moderately good at was SF: 3rd Strike on XBLA for some reason. I pretty much get destroyed on everything else I've ever tried. Even if I'm terrible at the multiplayer there will be plenty of content to get through just on my own which is great (and part of the reason I really liked MK9).

Considering how technical SF3 is, I would think if you're good at that game you should be able to at least be decent at any 2d fighting game

People laugh when you mention stories in fighters but I actually like them when effort is put in. Games like Street Fighter and Tekken don't help with their nonsensical stories.

Even if some of Blazblue's story was convoluted I still enjoyed it a lot, especially with the branching paths.

I can tell I'm going to enjoy the story mode here as well.

hot key some of those buttons to triggers.

Is it possible to map one command to multiple buttons? I don't think it's possible, and I'd rather not map A and B away from the face buttons (although if I really have to I guess I'll try it out), and I'm not sure if the A+B shortcuts would help in doing the Agi releases.

I want
vincent from catherine
to be a secret character someday LOL

I approve of this.

Natiko

Banned
Considering how technical SF3 is, I would think if you're good at that game you should be able to at least be decent at any 2d fighting game

You'd think that but I've tried numerous times to get into SF4 and I just get decimated and can't seem to execute very well which from what my friend has told me doesn't really make any sense. It's possible I'm just better at SF3 because he helped show me a lot of the mechanics and a lot of people that picked it up didn't have that? Who knows.

TheGreatReptar

Neo Member
Is it possible to map one command to multiple buttons? I don't think it's possible, and I'd rather not map A and B away from the face buttons (although if I really have to I guess I'll try it out), and I'm not sure if the A+B shortcuts would help in doing the Agi releases.

I approve of this.

Nah. ArcSys button mapping only allows one button per command/macro.

Stark

Banned
People laugh when you mention stories in fighters but I actually like them when effort is put in. Games like Street Fighter and Tekken don't help with their nonsensical stories.

Even if some of Blazblue's story was convoluted I still enjoyed it a lot, especially with the branching paths.

I can tell I'm going to enjoy the story mode here as well.

Agreed. Makes a fighter more enjoyable for me as well since I usually tend to stay away from them. Nice to have such a entertaining and in-depth story going on.

And personally use to the portraits with the lip moving due to playing VN's and much prefer it over a static image with a change in expression only.

Yuripaw

Banned
Agreed. Makes a fighter more enjoyable for me as well since I usually tend to stay away from them. Nice to have such a entertaining and in-depth story going on.

Yeah, for someone like me who sucks at fighting games competitively, having something like this really gives me an incentive to play it beyond my love for Persona 4. Without being good competitively, and no friends on the same skill level to play with, pretty much every Capcom fighter has literally nothing to offer me.

And personally use to the portraits with the lip moving due to playing VN's and much prefer it over a static image with a change in expression only.

I think I prefer it over the static images by themselves too, but the lips sometimes flap too much maybe. I think it's something I'll get used to.

sleepykyo

I'd argue SF3 would be one of the worst 2d fighting games to be good at in general sense. Due to parries the projectile zoning game in SF3 is one of the weakest out there and as such players are going to be unfamiliar with navigating through the projectile obstacle courses in SF4/MK9/UMvC3.

Onemic

I'd argue SF3 would be one of the worst 2d fighting games to be good at in general sense. Due to parries the projectile zoning game in SF3 is one of the weakest out there and as such players are going to be unfamiliar with navigating through the projectile obstacle courses in SF4/MK9/UMvC3.

In terms of pure execution though, if you can play sf3 you should be able to play anything. SF4 combos are easy as hell compared to SF3.

Stark

Banned
Yeah, for someone like me who sucks at fighting games competitively, having something like this really gives me an incentive to play it beyond my love for Persona 4. Without being good competitively, and no friends on the same skill level to play with, pretty much every Capcom fighter has literally nothing to offer me.

I think I prefer it over the static images by themselves too, but the lips sometimes flap too much maybe. I think it's something I'll get used to.

You too? I will never be able to do any aerial combo. ;_; Definitely! was great to invest a lot of time in a story for a fighting game. Both Arcade and the actual Story Mode.

I see what you mean, yeah. Some VN's don't get it right or it looks a bit off. I kinda blame the blinking too.

Well, just make sure there's a good enough warning. The story is seriously the best part of the game, and it'd suck if someone gets spoiled against their will. :S

Eh, I was massively hyped, don't know what I was thinking lol, gonna pull it just to be safe.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I would also argue that if you could play GG at high level every other game should be easy to be able to react to on the fly :p

Yuripaw

Banned
I wish I could stop watching these videos. I've already spoiled the game's story enough for me...but ugh, I want the game so much >_< Not out soon enough.

Got my art printed and laminated today, and ordered some orange buttons from Focus Attack. P4A is the first fighter that has made me fall deep down the stick customization rabbit hole. I will say that getting the QD's off of some of the stock TE buttons was a bitch and a half. Never had to use that much force to get the QD's off of any of my other MadCatz sticks.

BlackJace

It actually did have a story at one point. The comic guy that wrote it talked about it in a panel. Something about portals.

But what happened? They could've done great. The pre release movies had me salivating at the thought of the story mode.

Especially the one with Chun Li and Captain America goddamn.

Setre

I was wondering if there’s been any news about reveals in this game like in Persona 3 Portable. Or would they save something like that for Golden?

For those who don’t know what I’m talking about in P3P you got to talk to a depressed man drinking in a bar. The conversation was about him cheating on his girlfriend and how he was having nightmares. This character turned out to be Vincent from Catherine.

Sophia

I was wondering if there’s been any news about reveals in this game like in Persona 3 Portable. Or would they save something like that for Golden?

For those who don’t know what I’m talking about in P3P you got to talk to a depressed man drinking in a bar. The conversation was about him cheating on his girlfriend and how he was having nightmares. This character turned out to be Vincent from Catherine.

Yes, there's stuff like that. We discussed in another thread.

Top Bottom