• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Nachos

You know you had a perfect opportunity to completely avoid her, right? You didn't have to do her S.Link (even though you'll miss some extra content.), you don't have to download her(for Free) in P4AU and plus you could just not watch the anime since you hate her so much.

I'm a Final Fantasy fan but if I don't like Lightning, I can just skip the whole thing.

Gooch, if you haven't already done so, you might want to read Corvo's entire post. I'm relatively neutral to Marie, but I did think Corvo broached some salient points, even if all of that did get a bit long in the tooth.

Sorry for assuming you haven't, but I'm just not sure, since you asked for a TL;DR.

Sophia will love Corvo's article. lol

I'm enjoying the anime so far (didn't watch the last one yet) and I think Marie is an okay character. But that piece of writing is a fine one.

Moonlight

Banned
You know you had a perfect opportunity to completely avoid her, right? You didn't have to do her S.Link (even though you'll miss some extra content.), you don't have to download her(for Free) in P4AU and plus you could just not watch the anime since you hate her so much.

I'm a Final Fantasy fan but if I don't like Lightning, I can just skip the whole thing.
1) You don't really have any choice of avoiding Marie in P4G. Avoiding Marie means locking yourself out of all the epilogue content in P4G, much of which doesn't actually involve Marie.
2) Marie isn't immune to criticism because you can 'avoid' her. Just like how Lightning isn't immune to criticism just because you can choose not to buy those games. If Lightning is a big part of why something isn't enjoyable, then you can rightly complain about it. It's like dismissing any criticism of a movie you've seen because you 'didn't have to see it'.
3) You could do more to refute the points if you disagree with them than get all sour grapes about it.

CorvoSol

I think you've misunderstood a few things. First, Marie's social link isn't really what I'm haranguing here. I mean, I don't think it's well executed, but I made my peace with that awhile ago. What I'm cutting up here is the way Marie's inclusion in the anime has gone completely haywire. It's not a matter of hating her. It's a matter of her being lorded over everything else.

That said, that the solution to avoiding Marie is to skip the entire anime kinda highlights the problem with the anime's presentation of Marie anyway.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Gooch, if you haven't already done so, you might want to read Corvo's entire post. I'm relatively neutral to Marie, but I did think Corvo broached some salient points, even if all of that did get a bit long in the tooth.

Sorry for assuming you haven't, but I'm just not sure, since you asked for a TL;DR.

He didn't really give me that. I'll have another look.

CorvoSol

Sophia will love Corvo's article. lol

I'm enjoying the anime so far (didn't watch the last one yet) and I think Marie is an okay character. But that piece of writing is a fine one.

To be honest I'm not as completely against Marie as I was when I first played Golden. If anything, I'm mad at the way the anime is portraying her because I wanted this to be good for her. I wanted them to do a good job of portraying Marie as a part of the team and an equal, instead of just setting her up as little miss pet.

Like, I'm not mad about her being in Arena cuz she has the right to be. I'd love it if Marie actually was a PC in an RPG like Q. But I didn't want it to be all Marie all day the way the anime has become.

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like I'd actually be fine with Marie in P4G if she didn't actively supplant everyone else in the IT to advance her importance. I was hoping that Marie would be a more active participant inside the group dynamic, maybe involved in solving the mystery or something like that (and having X-ray murdervision doesn't count), not a narrative singularity pulling away everyone's big moments and isolating Yu from everyone else in the group. It's had a clumsy way of affixing Marie into moments that were otherwise never actually written to involve Marie and it's frustrating.

To be honest I'm not as completely against Marie as I was when I first played Golden. If anything, I'm mad at the way the anime is portraying her because I wanted this to be good for her. I wanted them to do a good job of portraying Marie as a part of the team and an equal, instead of just setting her up as little miss pet.

Like, I'm not mad about her being in Arena cuz she has the right to be. I'd love it if Marie actually was a PC in an RPG like Q. But I didn't want it to be all Marie all day the way the anime has become.

That's more than a fair wish. And if they did like you said, it would be a lot better for everyone.

MSMrRound

Hope you like Marie. P4GA is more of less created for the sole purpose prepping everyone for the inevitable inclusion of Marie in Persona 4 Dancing.
and also to replace Igor in Persona 5

With the level of production of P4GA, it's really a shame that the character designer of Yahari ore no seishun got drawn into P4GA instead of continuing their work on the second season of the anime.

35317.jpg

Caladrius

I share the sentiment. Marie by herself is unimpressive, but salvageable.

The writers of both the game and especially the anime unfortunately seem to be going for "keep throwing her at the audience and see if they warm up" in order to do that.

I'm not a particularly enthusiastic writer (I keep flirting with the prospect, but that's another tale) so I can only criticize so much, but the ham-fisted attempts to weave the character into the plot with no success is absolutely baffling. Golden at least has the excuse of working with a limited budget spread across coding, voice-acting, game balancing and writing, which all factor into hampering how well the character could be integrated into the game and story, with each instance of adding Marie into the plot requiring an expenditure on multiple fronts. The anime has almost no writing constraints to work with aside from running time, censorship and animation budget, and yet seems to integrate the character even more poorly.

kewlmyc

With the level of production of P4GA, it's really a shame that the character designer of Yahari ore no seishun got drawn into P4GA instead of continuing their work on the second season of the anime.

...Wait, you're not implying that it was cancelled for this are you?

MSMrRound

...Wait, you're not implying that it was cancelled for this are you?

No. I know Yahari season 2 is still a go, but what I meant was this particular person was scheduled to work on Yahari season 2, but was roped in/poached over to do P4GA instead (meaning Yahari will get another person in charge of that area). The changing of roles was shortly announced after the reveal of the P4GA project on that Persona Datsu Nugu livestream event.

Potential was there, but the animation quality done by the rest of the team...*shrugs*

Maybe A1 Pictures are too distracted by their work on Sword Art Online Season II.

FluxWaveZ

We should be getting new Maragaret P4AU pics tomorrow at about 11:00 AM EDT.

Cool. These usually just gameplay shots or a mix of those and random story moments (or is this not part of the regularly scheduled programming)?

(Probably) no story moments; only gampeplay shots and character portraits. Note: Screenshots should be up around 6 - 11 AM EDT, but most likely closer to the latter.

Sophia

From this point forward, I shall call her Marie Sue. Takes everyones roles, plays instruments and sings perfectly, always has the good ideas, surprisingly sociable despite written to not being sociable,
has the powers of a god

I love Corvo's post

but there's one thing I have to respond to.

Persona 4: The Golden Animation 5
But to top it off, Marie hears Rise singing one time on a river bank and is suddenly quite capable of singing every bit as well and appeasing a crowd of angry hicks. That'd be bad enough on its own, but she's essentially overthrown Rise's entire role in this little scenario, and honestly she's kind of driven Rise out of her position in the group dynamic by becoming the new girl who shamelessly hangs all over Yu.

In what way? Specifically regarding being a love interest, they're not characterized the same way. In fact, it's the contrast between the two that makes the story.

One of the only redeeming parts of today's episode was,
Rise helping out Marie with her cuts while speaking about what's needed to be a performer. Compared to being so opposed to her before, it's a nice development.
Despite Marie stealing her actual role in the performance, when I think of a character being suffocated, I don't think of Rise. I think of the other characters instead, like Kanji. I forget he's even there sometimes.

Additionally, it's a funny thing to say, since your criticism of Marie here, I could apply to Rise as well. There was a bunch of stuff in the original game that shot you in the Chie or Yukiko camps, that disappeared the minute Rise joined the group.

Lunar15

Except Rise was in the original game and doesn't take over entire people's roles in the group.

Marie comes off worse than she even should simply because she wasn't there to begin with. It's even worse in the anime because she's in stuff she wasn't even a part of in The Golden.

LX_Theo

Banned
I love Corvo's post

In what way? Specifically regarding being a love interest, they're not characterized the same way. In fact, it's the contrast between the two that makes the story.

Rise helping out Marie with her cuts while speaking about what's needed to be a performer. Compared to being so opposed to her before, it's a nice development.
Despite Marie stealing her actual role in the performance, when I think of a character being suffocated, I don't think of Rise. I think of the other characters instead, like Kanji. I forget he's even there sometimes.

Additionally, it's a funny thing to say, since your criticism of Marie here, I could apply to Rise as well. There was a bunch of stuff in the original game that shot you in the Chie or Yukiko camps, that disappeared the minute Rise joined the group.

No, that really cannot be applied to Rise. Chie and Yukiko had like one, maybe two scenes each that were remotely like that role. And, at most, they were just there to suggest at the romance aspect of their social link. To apply that criticism to Rise makes no sense whatsoever.

Mdesilva

We should be getting new Maragaret P4AU pics tomorrow at about 11:00 AM EDT.

(Probably) no story moments; only gampeplay shots and character portraits. Note: Screenshots should be up around 6 - 11 AM EDT, but most likely closer to the latter.
Sweet, where is this at? Just curious as to what's scheduled so that you know when they'll be out.

I need to watch the episodeeeeeeee
I don't understand how anyone can like Adachi. He has no likeable qualities whatsoever, a really ugly design, an irritating voice...
Well, I really liked him from the moment I met him. I love his goofy nature and how much laidback he is. And since I don't ever watch any english animes/TV series or didn't played a lot of games with reocurrent VAs, I swear the moment I heard Adachi's voice I thought he had the best voice of any Persona character ,heh.

Plus, when he became a villain I ended up liking him even more. Specially because he just did everything because he could and was bored.
Yukari, Junpei and Yosuke, probably. I like all of P4's cast to some degree, though I find Yukiko horrendously boring.
DANTIS REDEEMED. And I agree with your other point. At the beginning of the game, I thought Yukiko was like the best character because she was timid, was your first love interest, was the first persona you ever need to rescue, was the healer, etc. but after she is saved she pretty much contributes nothing in the progression of the game/case (much like Ken in P3) and only has those annoying laughting things. If I had known Teddie was also a healer I would have replaced.
Salvation is still godlike, though.

LX_Theo

Banned
I find the fact that she has the power to sense the culprit out of nowhere to be funnier than learning a guitar.

I think she is
sensing Ameno Sagiri. Which makes sense given Marie's backstory. In fact, it makes more sense than a lot of the things they've done with her in the show, in my opinion.

kewlmyc

I think she is
sensing Ameno Sagiri. Which makes sense given Marie's backstory. In fact, it makes more sense than a lot of the things they've done with her in the show, in my opinion.

Still doesn't stop it from being funny and pretty random considering when it happened.

No, that really cannot be applied to Rise. Chie and Yukiko had like one, maybe two scenes each that were remotely like that role. And, at most, they were just there to suggest at the romance aspect of their social link. To apply that criticism to Rise makes no sense whatsoever.

It being only 1 or 2 is not because of insignificance. It's for the fact that it was only at the beginning of the game before Rise joins. Yosuke straight up asking you, the player, who's your type, setting up the dialogue in the later scenes is not insignificant.

And I don't see how the criticism doesn't apply the way corvo used it. Girl who is more forward with her feelings to protagonist supplants the ones who aren't. Just like the girl who is linked through fate with the protagonist supplants that girl who is only linked through her feelings. Either way, they're taking each other's screen time and possibilities for dialogue.

LX_Theo

Banned
It being only 1 or 2 is not because of insignificance. It's for the fact that it was only at the beginning of the game before Rise joins. Yosuke straight up asking you, the player, who's your type, setting up the dialogue in the later scenes is not insignificant.

And I don't see how the criticism doesn't apply the way corvo applied it. Girl who is more forward with her feelings to protagonist supplants the ones who aren't. Just like the girl who is linked through fate with the protagonist supplants that girl who is only linked through her feelings. Either way, they're taking each other's screen time and possibilities for dialogue.

lol, what? My goodness, are you really stretching the role of girl who is all over the protagonist to Yosuke asking which one is your type (and FYI, those choices where you basically had to pick your favorite happened constantly in the game until well after Rise)? That criticism stinks so badly of taking a concept and trying to fill it with ones that don't really apply to a point that its a bit silly. The only real scene that even comes close that I can think of is when Yukiko blushes when talking about being alone with a boy her age for the first time. Again, that's really just them throwing a massive hint that HEY, ROMANCE for the social link.

You sound more like you have an issue with that Rise took a piece of that screen time pie once she showed up over anything. Its certainly not the same concept. Chie and Yukiko did not fill any role that Rise took up.

P4GA Impressions:
Yes Marie, it's just a memo.
Yay Naoto! Lol Kanamin
"When you transfer school, we'll all be going with you" Ohhh, that's so nice "Over my dead body." lol
That Adachi S. Link reference
"The Nose kicked me out. He said I was annoying" Igor my man.
"Teddie's the culprit!" What's up with those halloween costumes haha Oh my gosh, they used the stalker culprit design from the original Animation.
The main problem I have with Marie singing is that the VA doesn't even sound like Marie at all, it's just her regular singing voice.
OH MY GOD KOU AND DAISUKE. Yosuke and Kanji falling in face while Yu falls in an epic voice is perfect. Kou running lmao
Kou x Chie OTP
Holy shit, did Marie sensed Adachi?! And ADACHI HYPE

I thought this episode was pretty good actually, at least compared with the previous ones.
Can't you also choose any of the girls before the beach scene and at the Miss Yasogami High contest?

You sound more like you have an issue with that Rise took a piece of that screen time pie once she showed up over anything. Its certainly not the same concept. Chie and Yukiko did not fill any role that Rise took up.

So what role did Marie actually usurp?

Singing True Story has nothing to do with Yu Narukami.

LX_Theo

Banned
So what role did Marie actually usurp?

Singing True Story has nothing to do with Yu Narukami.

Exactly what Corvo said. I think this is done. You've dropped Corvo's point entirely and are now questioning if its even valid in order to defend your argument that Corvo's point applies to Rise as well. I don't know what better says what is happening with this right now than that. Its not like Corvo was vague in his statement.

Exactly what Corvo said. I think this is done. You've dropped Corvo's point entirely and are now questioning if its even valid in order to defend your argument that Corvo's point applies to Rise as well. I don't know what better says what is happening with this right now than that.

I can't read. What does this mean:

Persona 4: The Golden Animation 5
honestly she's kind of driven Rise out of her position in the group dynamic by becoming the new girl who shamelessly hangs all over Yu.

Can't you also choose any of the girls before the beach scene and at the Miss Yasogami High contest?

True but unlike the one I mentioned there's no context set up in the later scenes after. Those are just general tallies as opposed to dialogue that was hinted before in a prior scene (I think Yosuke was on a bicycle going to school when he mentions it earlier) and that set up something in the future when you're tailing Kanji.

LX_Theo

Banned
Now that this has turned into a person questioning if there was a role usurp and what that role even was (as proof that a different character also did the role usurp) to the same person citing the exact quote that states the role quite bluntly, I think I'm going to walk away. I can see where this is going and I have no interest in watching you chase your tail.

CorvoSol

Heh. I promise not to try and "defend" her.
I'll let Pan-Hime do that.

No no, by all means, disagree. I don't want my overbearing personality to prevent you from feeling like it is safe to disagree with me.

I love Corvo's post

So in the original P4 Rise shows up and she clings to and teases Senpai, right? And that's okay because that's her. That bubbly, slightly clingy, very flirtatious monopolizing of Senpai is Rise.

But I kinda feel like in P4GA Marie has edged Rise out of the monopolizing Yu spot. I think maybe I haven't worded it properly. It's part of the larger problem that Senpai doesn't interact with anybody other than Marie, but it's especially noticeable because Rise would always pass the situational ball into Yu's court, so to speak.

DAY-UMM that was good, just GAWDDAYUM.

Mind if I borrow the Uncle Ulty pic for this purpose later?

It's the Octomammoth from FF4 actually, but yeah, no prob.

Top Bottom