• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Sophia

As far as I know, this was one of the reasons why the book was recieved negatively in Japan: People were upset that Naoto had no boyfriend in the book (either Yu or Kanji) which contradicted their headcanons from P4. This completely ignores, however, the fact that Naoto gets mails from Kanji and introduces him as an important friend of hers to the reader. There is also an image (drawn by Soejima) that shows Naoto holding hands with Sousei which caused a stir since it made Sousei look like Naoto's boyfriend.

From what I understand, Sousei was extremely disliked in Japan. The combination of him not really fitting in with the plot combined with what was perceived as extremely poor chemistry with Naoto didn't go over so well.

The translation that said that Sousei's purpose was to counter Aigis was based on the Persona Magazine world guidance thing that came out a few years ago and that translation seems to be wrong if you dig into the book. Sousei was simply meant as a back-up for Aigis and was ultimately deemed a failure since his Persona had no combat abilities. And while it certainly is an asspull, the part of the Kirijo Group that was responsible for Sousei's development was secret even within the company which explains why Ikutsuki doesn't know about him. Now, about that generation thing: Yuichiro Tanaka mentioned in the P4A interview that earlier generations had no human form, but Sousei was developed after Aigis.

Interesting. Where is this Yuichiro Tanaka interview at? I've read transcripts of the Tanaka interview from the Arena book where he mentioned that only the 5th generation onward were actual robots with personalities, but I don't recall it ever mentioning Sousei.

Setsu00

Interesting. Where is this Yuichiro Tanaka interview at? I've read transcripts of the Tanaka interview from the Arena book where he mentioned that only the 5th generation onward were actual robots with personalities, but I don't recall it ever mentioning Sousei.

Oh, sorry. Tanaka didn't mention Sousei, but it mentioned in the World Guidance thing (and I think the novel as well) that Sousei's development started after Aigis's.

Sophia

Oh, sorry. Tanaka didn't mention Sousei, but it mentioned in the World Guidance thing (and I think the novel as well) that Sousei's development started after Aigis's.

Erm. It's probably mentioned in the novel. But I think you're getting your sources confused seeing as the World Guidance was P1/P2 only. :p

You're right tho; it's a total asspull and makes the Kirijo Group look way more competent then they actually are... I don't take anything in the novel as canon myself. Nothing more then a bad fanficiton if you ask me.

arue

Missed the Persona Q party discussion, but I'll start with P3 side first and my party will be:
P3MC, Aigis, Naoto, Teddie/Koro, Yukiko.

First three will always be in my party.

Setsu00

Erm. It's probably mentioned in the novel. But I think you're getting your sources confused seeing as the World Guidance was P1/P2 only. :p

You're right tho; it's a total asspull and makes the Kirijo Group look way more competent then they actually are... I don't take anything in the novel as canon myself. Nothing more then a bad fanficiton if you ask me.

There was an article in the #One More edition of the Persona Magazine that is more or less the P3 and P4 version of the World Guidance book. It's not nearly as sophisticated as the P2 one, but it does exist.

I'll probably be rolling Junpei/Makoto/Yosuke, Yukiko/Yukari. I'm going to swap characters around but I feel like seeing the dynamics between these characters first should be fun.

All this talk of Persona x Detective has made me realize just how happy I'll be when "have you heard of the Midnight ________?" and "it came from a secret division of the Kirijo corporation" stop being the basis behind new Persona plots/characters. I'm personally hoping PQ has none of that, and I guess I'll learn in a week.

I plan to switch up my PQ party as much as possible, but I expect P3MC, Yukari, Akihiko, Koro, and Mitsuru to be my go to for bosses and junk.

Meia

Party for PQ? To me, best characters from both games: P4 MC, Junpei, Chie front row, Yukiko and Yukari back. HEAL ALL THE THINGS.

Oh and Fuuka for navigator, cause Fuuka best P3 girl dammit.

PK Gaming

I would like to point out that it's possible to make everything look awful if you use the right pictures.

Sure, but that doesn't preclude PxD from actually being pretty awful (which it is).

Also, why is Ai (the Junes robot) a problem? I mean, Aigis in P3 goes to school and nobody complains about that either.

I've got my own hang ups with Aigis going to school, but that doesn't even begin compare to the existence of the Junes robot.

I am going to be rotating the party like crazy in PQ, cant not have everyone at an equal level!

Though picking a team for bosses, I think I'm going to go with:

Yu - Chie - Kanji
- Aigis - Yukari -

......I think.

MSMrRound

ZePraqF.jpg

~This carousel-takes us round and round~

I'm still not 100% on who I'll be using in PQ, but definitely starting with the P3 side. At this point I'm thinking:

P3MC Yukari Junpei Chie Naoto (mix 'n match)

or

P3MC Yukari Junpei Akihiko Mitsuru (P3 Dream Team)

and obviously Fuuka for navigator, though if they allow for Marie I'd do that too.

I'm thinking of the finer details but for now my team is Yu, Yukiko, Yukari, Shinjiro and Kanji. I call it the Three Yu's and The Tough Guys

~This carousel-takes us round and round~
Here goes.
As expected from the Ultimate Gamer...
Komaeda_%2820%29.png

Dammit, I'm so sure I won't be able to find it in launch day
I'm not exactly sure how rows entirely work, but I think you should probably put Yukari in the back, since she has a ranged weapon anyway/will be using magic plus she's going to be a healer too, so you want to keep her from the front since she might not be able to take the punishment.

I think for team synergy yours is ok, though I think it may be possible if you take P3MC, Yukari, Yosuke, Aigis, and Teddie to have your whole team weak to elec, which may be a problem early on until you get resistances (not sure how early you get them). Could be wrong, but I don't think there's really anything you can do to make Kanji as good with magic as Yukari, so there's some limitation. Other than that I think you could roll with whoever you want.

Also I don't want to take Koro because in my opinion he doesn't really have much of a personality and his interactions depend quite a bit on Aigis.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm aware I have two garu users and zio users in my P3 team but oh well, the risks of using your favorite characters...

Nah, I'm sure Koro's interactions with Kanji and Teddie will be fun to see.

Levito

Banned
Hey folks, that podcast all about looove~ is live!

(Click image for episode link)

Actually pretty proud of this one, my favorite one we've done to date. Definitely top 3.

Levito

Banned
If you folk do listen, I recommend listening to the whole recording cause the outtakes are pretty amazing.

Hope you guys enjoy this, was so much fun to record <3

It was soooooo great, I hope you come back for more Episodes in the future! <3

I'm listening because I'm really curious about everyone's take on the subject and also if you or armada actually say "space waifu"

I did, but I think I butchered the actual ME name.

DNAbro

Just preordered the game, starting to get hyped even though smash and pokemon come first. Got free shipping on it so i can have some time with those games first.

Definitely going P4 side and as for my team I'm definitely putting P4Protag, Yukiko, Mitsuru, Kanji, Aigis, and Yosuke.

FluxWaveZ

No one wants both main protagonists on the same team in PQ, huh.

Dunno what my team's going to be, but I do know I'm going with the P3 side first. It'll be nice to see the original P3 crew again in a new adventure, especially the P3 protag, when we've seen plenty of the P4 crew.

kewlmyc

Dunno what my team's going to be, but I do know I'm going with the P3 side first. It'll be nice to see the original P3 crew again in a new adventure, especially the P3 protag, when we've seen plenty of the P4 crew.

?

I'm going P4 side solely so I can hear P3MC speak and have a personality in English. It'll be the first and probably last time we get that chance, unless the movies are dubbed.

Yu/Makoto/Kanji
Aigis/Yukiko

Though I have no idea how sub personas work, so my team is subject to change.

84X

Banned

I'm starting with the P4 side and I'm pretty sure I'm going with:

Yosuke P4MC Mitsuru
P3MC Yukiko
Rise

but you know, gotta try different combinations out and stuff.

I think I've heard having both protagonists on your team is beneficial in a few ways, but I may be pulling that out of my ass.

Edit: yes I checked, there is a good reason to keep both in your party...

PK Gaming

Hey folks, that podcast all about looove~ is live!

(Click image for episode link)

Actually pretty proud of this one, my favorite one we've done to date. Definitely top 3.

I'm so ready for this

I think I've heard having both protagonists on your team is beneficial in a few ways, but I may be pulling that out of my ass.

They're both strong and versatile characters, so you're not exactly off-base. There's also the fact that Yu and Makoto have solid synergy with each other. Or rather... Yu is capable of covering both Makoto's weaknesses.

But even so, I just don't feel like using them together. At least, not on my first run.

FluxWaveZ

Edit: yes I checked, there is a good reason to keep both in your party...

Woops, should have checked the previous page. A reason to have both in one's party, huh. That's interesting, if it's something other than special dialogue, heh.

84X

Banned
Yeah I'll just say I think it's important for people to first and foremost use who they want to use, since that's a big part of PQ. A lot of us will be playing the game for a while anyways so you can worry about "extra" stuff later on...

Hopefully I didn't tread too much on any spoiler territory.

I agree with Flux, seeing Makoto and playing as him in an all new story is definitely one of the things I most look forward too. I don't dislike P4, but I'm kinda fed up of it by now, it's a nice change of pace seeing the high school aged P3 crew.

I agree with Flux, seeing Makoto and playing as him in an all new story is definitely one of the things I most look forward too. I don't dislike P4, but I'm kinda fed up of it by now, it's a nice change of pace seeing the high school aged P3 crew.

^ This right here. As it's gotten closer, the thing that's been exciting me most about PQ is the chance to play as the P3 group again, during the time of the original game. I wasn't thrilled with how they were portrayed in Arena/Ultimax, so hopefully things turn out better this time. :)

kewlmyc

I like Makoto too, but what would you rather have, silent protag Makoto where you make all the choices for him, or Makoto as his own character who you can talk and interact with? I'm going P4 route for the latter.

NichM

Banned
I like Makoto too, but what would you rather have, silent protag Makoto where you make all the choices for him, or Makoto as his own character who you can talk and interact with? I'm going P4 route for the latter.

There's more to the P3 cast than the protag, though, and if Flux wants more of the P3 cast then going that route gives him a whole dungeon's worth of extra time with them.

kewlmyc

There's more to the P3 cast than the protag, though, and if Flux wants more of the P3 cast then going that route gives him a whole dungeon's worth of extra time with them.

Is the game after that first dungeon pretty much the same in both routes?

atlusprime

Atlus PR

I started with the P3 side for all my press demos and here's how my team wound up once I got access to both casts:

P3 Hero
Kanji
Flex spot between Shinji/Koro/Chie
Zen/Rei
Flex spot between Aigis/Naoto

Battle Navigator: Fuuka
Labyrinth Navigator: Rise

Limited use:
Yukiko
Junpei
Mitsuru
P4 Hero

People I never used:
Yosuke
Yukari
Ken
Teddie
Akihiko

But one other point - if you start off on the P4 side, you get to hear the P3 Hero's voice...

Sophia

Starting with the P3 side means you get to start with Aigis, which automatically makes Persona Q a better game. Therefore, the choice is obvious.

Top Bottom