• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

There are too damn many days to go until PQ, dammit. I'm dying.

Pretty much another week to go, which isn't so bad. This week should have one release for anyone, the variety is huge. Anyone planning to pick anything up this Tuesday or Friday, for those picking up Smash?

Dragon Age for me. Was also going to pick up Far Cry 4, but with finals right around the corner (and PQ obviously) I won't have that much time to to play. If anything I feel like I'll only be playing Dragon Age this week, and until I'm done my finals, I'll be playing PQ, since it's an easier pick up and play type of game, it being on the 3DS and all.

Sophia

There's a character named Touko Aoi in PxD who looks identical to Touko Aozaki from Kara no Kyoukai.

Yeah. It's pretty much a blatant ripoff of Touko as she existed specifically in the movie series, which was finishing up as Persona x Detective Naoto was being written. Worth pointing out that Touko in Kara no Kyoukai looked different in the original novel too.

Xenoflare

Yeah. It's pretty much a blatant ripoff of Touko as she existed specifically in the movie series, which was finishing up as Persona x Detective Naoto was being written. Worth pointing out that Touko in Kara no Kyoukai looked different in the original novel too.

Fate Extra used her pre-films look, with a pixie cut and blue hair.

Her film self has the strange vibe of Mitsuru.

84X

Banned
Missed these...

Nice thing you scribbled. :)
Thanks!

AH, I had a feeling you were drawing your avatars

Nice, you should draw more and post em here!
I hope to, but right now I really only have time for silly avatars and scribbles.

Anyways, had to do this digitally if I wanted it to be slightly relevant to some people: http://84xl.tumblr.com/image/102847026559
Hopefully that glob looks like Koromaru, and I realize the way Shinji is sitting looks painful.

kewlmyc

There's a character named Touko Aoi in PxD who looks identical to Touko Aozaki from Kara no Kyoukai.

Just looked it up, wow that's uncanny. Cigarette and everything. I never knew Touko Aozaki from KnK was anime original. The more you know I guess.

How did PxD ruin P3 canon?

Sophia

Just looked it up, wow that's uncanny. Cigarette and everything. I never knew Touko Aozaki from KnK was anime original. The more you know I guess.

How did PxD ruin P3 canon?

Touko herself is not an anime original. She existed in the original novel and played the same role. However she was redesigned in the movies to look more like her sister due to the fact that the novels were done many years before the movie.

And Sousei is basically a walking contradiction with Persona 3 and Persona 4 Arena. He makes no sense (why did Aigis's generation need a robot to counter it...?), comes from a generation that according to various sources weren't even androids, and contradicts what Ikutsuki says about there being no remaining known units as well as units needing to have a human form to identify as human. Plus, Tsukuyomi as his Persona just doesn't fit with the previously established Persona 3 personas at all.

Acid08

Banned
There are too damn many days to go until PQ, dammit. I'm dying.

just one more week....just one more week.....one more week.....

I think the team I'm going with is P3MC, Koro, Yukari, Chie, and Kanji.

Was deciding between Yukiko and Koro and like....how could I not go with the pup? Koro-can da bes.

just one more week....just one more week.....one more week.....

I think the team I'm going with is P3MC, Koro, Yukari, Chie, and Kanji.

Was deciding between Yukiko and Koro and like....how could I not go with the pup? Koro-can da bes.

If I'm right, you might want one healer for each row. Or is that just me trying to get Yukiko into everyone's party?

If I'm right, you might want one healer for each row. Or is that just me trying to get Yukiko into everyone's party?

Wait, why do we want one healer per row? Do me-spells only target one row now?

Also from what I remember looking up, Yukiko doesn't have any me- healing spells naturally. Could be wrong though.

84X

Banned
I'm starting with the P4 side and I'm pretty sure I'm going with:

Yosuke P4MC Mitsuru
P3MC Yukiko
Rise

but you know, gotta try different combinations out and stuff.

I'm going with the P3 side first so I can use Junpei from the get-go. My team will be thus:

Front: Junpei, Kanji, Shinjiro
Back: Groose Booster, Teddie
Navigator: Theodore

TEAM SAUSAGEFEST IS A GO!

PK Gaming

Let's see:

P4 side
No Auto Map
Risky

Front: Yu Namba (I'm dedicating my P4 protag name to Yu Namba of Atlus USA LGI) / Yosuke / Chie
Back: Yukiko / Zen & Rei

I honestly don't feel like mixing and matching between the 2 casts, because the synergy between the golden foursome is just too good to pass up.

You don't need two dedicated healers in PQ. A primary medic should suffice, with the rest of the team picking up the slack with items and/or lesser healing spells.

Persona Q greatly simplifies healing with the Media/rama/haran skills. No need to mess around with Row healing spells and what not.

Hmmm that's a good point actually. Couldn't that be solved using a sub-Persona though?

Could be. It doesn't look that restrictive of a system.

Wait, why do we want one healer per row? Do me-spells only target one row now?

Also from what I remember looking up, Yukiko doesn't have any me- healing spells naturally. Could be wrong though.

Going by the Japanese footage I've seen, there's some techniques that affect the whole party, and some that affect just one row. It's possible those row spells are carried over from the EO games. (Just guessing, as I haven't played any of them myself)

Also I heard that Sakuya starts out only with healing spells, but whatever. We'll know in a few days.

EDIT
You don't need two dedicated healers in PQ. A primary medic should suffice, with the rest of the team picking up the slack with items and/or lesser healing spells.

Persona Q greatly simplifies healing with the Media/rama/haran skills. No need to mess around with Row healing spells and what not.
Ah. That's good then. I'll still bring two healers most of the time, cause I like having Yukari and Yukiko around, but being able to be flexible with your party is a definite plus.

Caladrius

Were I getting Persona Q my party would probably be Bish central

P3 Protag / Yu / Teddie / Kanji / Akihiko

Painfully typical of me, I know.

kewlmyc

I'm going P4 side solely so I can hear P3MC speak and have a personality in English. It'll be the first and probably last time we get that chance, unless the movies are dubbed.

Yu/Makoto/Kanji
Aigis/Yukiko

Though I have no idea how sub personas work, so my team is subject to change.

P3 side:
P3MC, Yosuke, Yukari, Kanji, Akihiko (I still don't how rows work, but I take I should put Yukari in the back row?)

P4 side:
P4MC, Teddie, Koromaru, Naoto, Mitsuru

I don't care how unbalanced my teams are, the point of this game is that you can use any of your favorite characters from both casts, Plus there's sub-Personas as well so that'll help out too, right?

Busaiku

I would've started on Risky or even Hard, but I got decimated by FOEs in The Millennium Girl's main story mode, which is supposedly the easiest of the bunch.
I cannot go through that trauma again.

If I was getting the game I would use P4MC (good resistances), P3MC (I feel like I should use both MCs, but tbh I think his resistances are pretty bad), probably Naoto(good resistance and mob killing) and Shinjiro(no weakness), and Zen, Yukiko or Yukari (someone for back row and needed support). Don't really know about Navigator, nor what side I'd start as.

I'm not sure how Zen stacks up without a sub-persona, and I'm guessing no ability to use skill cards(?). He learns a ton of moves while others learn less, but without sub-personas that means he probably can't abuse anything OP like Hassou Tobi stuff, assuming there's anything that strong compared to everything else in the game (unless he learns them by default, which I doubt).

EDIT:

P3 side:
P3MC, Yosuke, Yukari, Kanji, Akihiko (I still don't how rows work, but I take I should put Yukari in the back row?)

P4 side:
P4MC, Teddie, Koromaru, Naoto, Mitsuru

I don't care how unbalanced my teams are, the point of this game is that you can use any of your favorite characters from both casts, Plus there's sub-Personas as well so that'll help out too, right?

I'm not exactly sure how rows entirely work, but I think you should probably put Yukari in the back, since she has a ranged weapon anyway/will be using magic plus she's going to be a healer too, so you want to keep her from the front since she might not be able to take the punishment.

I think for team synergy yours is ok, though I think it may be possible if you take P3MC, Yukari, Yosuke, Aigis, and Teddie to have your whole team weak to elec, which may be a problem early on until you get resistances (not sure how early you get them). Could be wrong, but I don't think there's really anything you can do to make Kanji as good with magic as Yukari, so there's some limitation. Other than that I think you could roll with whoever you want.

Also I don't want to take Koro because in my opinion he doesn't really have much of a personality and his interactions depend quite a bit on Aigis.

Xenoflare

IIRC I think someone here mentioned that in PQ
Yukiko doesn't have the Media spell line by default, so she has Agi/Dia and what else?Kinda sad it's that way though

Dantis, I didn't spoil plot this time it's for skillset plz don't ban me.

Edit: Oh wait is it
Maragi
?

IIRC I think someone here mentioned that in PQ
Yukiko doesn't have the Media spell line by default, so she has Agi/Dia and what else?Kinda sad it's that way though

Dantis, I didn't spoil plot this time it's for skillset plz don't ban me.

Edit: Oh wait is it
Maragi
?

May have been me.

Can someone confirm that this is what's shown on the site? I don't know any Japanese.

I feel like I'm alone in choosing my party, since a lot of people are choosing based off of their favourite characters while I'm choosing off of either their stats/moves that they'll probably only have by mid-end game or other dumb reasons. (Ex: I considered Chie/Mitsuru on my team simply because they apparently learn power charge / mind charge. Not because they're best girl / my waifu / personality or anything like that. I like most of the characters, except really Koromaru)

Sophia

May have been me.

Can someone confirm that this is what's shown on the site? I don't know any Japanese.

I feel like I'm alone in choosing my party, since a lot of people are choosing based off of their favourite characters while I'm choosing off of either their stats/moves that they'll probably only have by mid-end game or other dumb reasons.

The information in that post is correct.

The one thing about party composition is that you'll be switching it pretty frequently in Persona Q, unless you neglect to level people up. The combination of skills improving for characters on their primary Persona and being able to mix and match on the sub persona opens up a lot of possibilities for gameplay.

Also another thing to consider: There are both Persona skills and Etrian Odyssey skills. The skillset is much more varied than Persona 3 and Persona 4.

The one thing about party composition is that you'll be switching it pretty frequently in Persona Q, unless you neglect to level people up. The combination of skills improving for characters on their primary Persona and being able to mix and match on the sub persona opens up a lot of possibilities for gameplay.

I have a bad habit of training only certain people. Hopefully if I get the game I'll train a somewhat wider variety, probably not every single character. In P4 first time through, when I had access to all characters I stuck with 3-4 party members. By endgame, Chie and Yosuke were both neglected at level 30-ish, one of Naoto or Yukiko were70-ish and everyone else was 90-ish. First time through P3 I basically ditched Junpei quickly at mid 20 -low 30, ken and koro were used sparingly and were about level 50-60, everyone else was 80-90.

I was even planning at one point just to use a team that I saw someone using on youtube to beat what seems to be a difficult boss. Which was basically P3MC using debilitate, one character (Naoto in this case) using poison and ailments, and everyone else spamming multi-hit physical moves (P4MC, Akihiko, Chie). It's not like Naoto even naturally learns those ailments or Akihiko learns physical spells though.

Xenoflare

Also another thing to consider: There are both Persona skills and Etrian Odyssey skills. The skillset is much more varied than Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Can you swap out the protag? The one you chose the P3/P4 side with.

In other words, is it possible to have a setup with neither of the protags?

Dantis

Were I getting Persona Q my party would probably be Bish central

P3 Protag / Yu / Teddie / Kanji / Akihiko

Painfully typical of me, I know.

TRULY A SURPRISING TEAM.

The one thing about party composition is that you'll be switching it pretty frequently in Persona Q

Not me! I'll be using one party for the whole game, like I do in the main Persona game (and every RPG where switching characters isn't a necessity).

Sophia

Can you swap out the protag? The one you chose the P3/P4 side with.

In other words, is it possible to have a setup with neither of the protags?

You have to use the protagonist you selected at the beginning. However, on everything except Risky difficulty, there's no "Leader dies and it's game over" mechanic.

Not me! I'll be using one party for the whole game, like I do in the main Persona game (and every RPG where switching characters isn't a necessity).

I guess you could do that. But in a game like this, it'd be awfully boring. Part of the fun is trying out new party compensations based upon the abilities you get. :p

Setsu00

I would like to point out that it's possible to make everything look awful if you use the right pictures. Also, why is Ai (the Junes robot) a problem? I mean, Aigis in P3 goes to school and nobody complains about that either.

So does this mean that Naoto x Kanji is not canon?

As far as I know, this was one of the reasons why the book was recieved negatively in Japan: People were upset that Naoto had no boyfriend in the book (either Yu or Kanji) which contradicted their headcanons from P4. This completely ignores, however, the fact that Naoto gets mails from Kanji and introduces him as an important friend of hers to the reader. There is also an image (drawn by Soejima) that shows Naoto holding hands with Sousei which caused a stir since it made Sousei look like Naoto's boyfriend.

And Sousei is basically a walking contradiction with Persona 3 and Persona 4 Arena. He makes no sense (why did Aigis's generation need a robot to counter it...?), comes from a generation that according to various sources weren't even androids, and contradicts what Ikutsuki says about there being no remaining known units as well as units needing to have a human form to identify as human. Plus, Tsukuyomi as his Persona just doesn't fit with the previously established Persona 3 personas at all.

The translation that said that Sousei's purpose was to counter Aigis was based on the Persona Magazine world guidance thing that came out a few years ago and that translation seems to be wrong if you dig into the book. Sousei was simply meant as a back-up for Aigis and was ultimately deemed a failure since his Persona had no combat abilities. And while it certainly is an asspull, the part of the Kirijo Group that was responsible for Sousei's development was secret even within the company which explains why Ikutsuki doesn't know about him. Now, about that generation thing: Yuichiro Tanaka mentioned in the P4A interview that earlier generations had no human form, but Sousei was developed after Aigis.

Dantis

I guess you could do that. But in a game like this, it'd be awfully boring. Part of the fun is trying out new party compensations based upon the abilities you get. :p

Not to me! It's how I play JRPGs. As I recall, you balance your levelling in the main Persona games too, which I would personally find boring.

As far as I know, this was one of the reasons why the book was recieved negatively in Japan: People were upset that Naoto had no boyfriend in the book (either Yu or Kanji) which contradicted their headcanons from P4. This completely ignores, however, the fact that Naoto gets mails from Kanji and introduces him as an important friend of hers to the reader. There is also an image (drawn by Soejima) that shows Naoto holding hands with Sousei which caused a stir since it made Sousei look like Naoto's boyfriend.

LOL.

Top Bottom