• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Dantis

A couple things:
It looks like thief costumes were added later - most of the initial drafts show the characters wearing scarves and some wearing hats.
Milady's initial draft had a sword for a head, and long serrated knives for arms.
Yusuke's initial draft had extremely long, braided feminine hair.

Like a dagger to my heart.

Why must you hurt me so, Soejima.

Setsu00

I get the feeling Soejima really wants a protagonist wearing a scarf. Some PQ concept art had excess scarves too.

There's also a few very rough sketches of which might be female mc designs, but they are very rough and not labelled as such, so that's in part speculation.

And at one point Igor had a fish tank.

The scarves in the PQ concept art are interesting because they're essentially stylized chains. Soejima wanted to physically chain Rei and Zen together, and breaking out of the metaphoric chains of society is a huge point of P5, so I guess I can see where he's coming from and why they're included in the P5 concept art as well.

Soejima's comment that he wanted to be more overt than usual with the symbolism also explains why they were dropped for the masks.

The scarves in the PQ concept art are interesting because they're essentially stylized chains. Soejima wanted to physically chain Rei and Zen together, and breaking out of the metaphoric chains of society is a huge point of P5, so I guess I can see where he's coming from and why they're included in the P5 concept art as well.

Soejima's comment that he wanted to be more overt than usual with the symbolism also explains why they were dropped for the masks.

There's one rough draft that actually reminds me of Rei and Zen quite a bit.

And the scarf design, or at least the most finished looking one, has both the scarf and the mask, although no other thief getup. Also seems like the colour for the game at that point was blue rather than red.

Scarf design features in quite a bit of the other concept art as well, I feel like it was likely fixed for quite a while.

Makio

There's also a few very rough sketches of which might be female mc designs, but they are very rough and not labelled as such, so that's in part speculation..

Wonder if "she" ends up been a main character in the game later.
Like Yukari in some of the concept art looks similar to P3 Female MC and was planned as protagonist at some point.

Plus that design of the "Female" Joker can be used in the future too....

Speaking of which it seems Atlus is gonna announce Persona games in the next year.
Is really impossible they announce Persona 6 next year ( i mean P3 and P4 are too close each other) or they are chance there.

Anyway i got my money in either Persona 5 Arena or some Persona 5 spinoff in some genre Atlus dont use before (racing , shooter , cards , idk something new).

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
bruh...I'm still salty that they didn't go a femc this time around. After seeing that drawing, if they added her later it wouldn't matter since she won't be canon.

Lynx_7

Speaking of which it seems Atlus is gonna announce Persona games in the next year.
Is really impossible they announce Persona 6 next year ( i mean P3 and P4 are too close each other) or they are chance there.

Anyway i got my money in either Persona 5 Arena or some Persona 5 spinoff in some genre Atlus dont use before (racing , shooter , cards , idk something new).

If they announce something it'll probably be P5 Arena or PQ2, though I'd like to see some new spin-offs like an action title. Atlus All Star Racing
featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series
would be dope too. Fans can finally settle the eternal question of whether or not Narukami can beat Hitoshura in a race. Also, since they're owned by Sega now, they can actually throw Knuckles in there just so the ancient prophecies may be fulfilled.

I'm personally holding out for a SMT V announcement. But it hasn't been a decade since the last entry so I don't know...

Makio

Also, since they're owned by Sega now, they can actually throw Knuckles in there just so the ancient prophecies may be fulfilled.

They already gives us "Persona" Miku ... matter of time we see a Knuckles Persona style at some point.

Make it Happen Atlus.

(And Persona 3 Dancing All Night too.... )

bruh...I'm still salty that they didn't go a femc this time around. After seeing that drawing, if they added her later it wouldn't matter since she won't be canon.

What if they repurposed her in an expansion?

If Atlus wants to make Goro X Female Joker a canon thing they can do it.... in that already weird canon they got.

Specially since Goro is like the most popular P5 character right now , they gonna give us so much Goro like they did with Marie.... wait for it.

I wouldn't count on it.

Makio

What if they repurposed her in an expansion?

If Atlus wants to make Goro X Female Joker a canon thing they can do it.... in that already weird canon they got.

Specially since Goro is like the most popular P5 character right now , they gonna give us so much Goro like they did with Marie.... wait for it.

Rutger

Banned
A couple things:
It looks like thief costumes were added later - most of the initial drafts show the characters wearing scarves and some wearing hats.

Wow. I'm sure it would have been fine, but I'm really glad they didn't stick with it, it would have been a real shame to not have the phantom thief designs.

Sophia

I'm level 33. Yosuke 33, Yukiko 34, Kanji 35.

You are significantly underleveled. Are you running from fights or deliberately skipping all fights on a floor on the way up? I'm guessing you're not rotating party members either, because it's kind of surprising to see party members ahead of the protagonist.

For reference, Shadow Mituso is level 45, and you usually want to be within five levels of the boss (39-45)

I'm not sure I have any good suggestion for you beyond perhaps simply trying to farm gold hands or something? The saving grace is the enemies in the dungeon should give you surpluses of XP if you're that low.

I also hope you've been ranking up your social links too, so you can get that delicious bonus XP from fusing stuff. Should be able to make something a few levels over your level now if you have the link for it.

You are significantly underleveled. Are you running from fights or deliberately skipping all fights on a floor on the way up? I'm guessing you're not rotating party members either, because it's kind of surprising to see party members ahead of the protagonist.

For reference, Shadow Mituso is level 45, and you usually want to be within five levels of the boss (39-45)

I'm not sure I have any good suggestion for you beyond perhaps simply trying to farm gold hands or something? The saving grace is the enemies in the dungeon should give you surpluses of XP if you're that low.

I also hope you've been ranking up your social links too, so you can get that delicious bonus XP from fusing stuff. Should be able to make something a few levels over your level now if you have the link for it.

Well shit. This sort of takes the wind out of my sails a bit.

Very annoying that I've hit such a snag. I don't run from all of the fights. I only start skipping enemies if I am low on SP. I ten to fight 80-90% of the enemies on a given floor. But now, I've not been rotating party members as I've found that the aforementioned combination of characters to be my favorite.

I guess I'll grind occasionally when I feel like it and eventually find my way out of this rut. But I don't feel as compelled to play as I did before.

Sophia

Well shit. This sort of takes the wind out of my sails a bit.

Very annoying that I've hit such a snag. I don't run from all of the fights. I only start skipping enemies if I am low on SP. I ten to fight 80-90% of the enemies on a given floor. But now, I've not been rotating party members as I've found that the aforementioned combination of characters to be my favorite.

I guess I'll grind occasionally when I feel like it and eventually find my way out of this rut. But I don't feel as compelled to play as I did before.

For what it's worth, I usually have to grind for Shadow Mituso (only mandatory fight in P4 that really requires it, in theory) but it is odd that you're so underleveled if you've been fighting normally. I've heard of people being like 38-39, but not usually 33.

However do take advantage of the fact that all the enemies in the later floors of the dungeon are level 40+

Lynx_7

Weird, I never grinded at all for Shadow Mitsuo. I don't remember at which level I beat him but I definitely didn't grind.

Then again I did revisit every single dungeon after completing them in order to fight the bonus bosses. That may have kept me at a reasonable level. Are you skipping those?

PK Gaming

Okay gang. I'm back, and still stuck on Shadow Mitsuo.

I have the required personas to fuse Black Frost, but I'm not level 38 yet. Is Black Frost a surefire way to beat this thing? If so, what is my winning strategy with this persona, exactly?

I tried grinding the previous floor and got my ass handed to me. I feel like I'm somewhat weak and maybe should think about leveling.

Starting to wish I had taken my friend's advice and played this on Easy. Too bad I can't change difficulty levels anytime I want. Will Persona 5 give us the option?

I'll just quote myself

Yeah... Shadow Mitsuo is a boss that everyone struggles with on their first time. That damn shield just drives me up a wall, you know? Anyway, grinding isn't something you should need to do ordinarily, but you'll need to be at least level 38 in order to fuse Black Frost, and getting that Persona is by far the most efficient way to beat him (Mind Charge + Agidyne wrecks it). In order to fuse it you need to perform a 5 way fusion with: Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, King Frost, Pixie and Ghoul. With the exception of King Frost, most of these are pretty easy to get and you can buy them back with the compendium.

If you can find a Golden Hand, you can speed up the grinding process significantly. Basically, there's this neat exploit where if you find and defeat one, you can move up a floor and back down again to almost guarantee a respawn. Killing them is difficult, but if you fuse the level 35 demon Tao Tai, it has Megido which basically one shots them.

Team wise, you should be running Yosuke/Chie (support), Kanji(damage) and Teddie (Mediarama).

Mediking

Just rewatched Daybreakers.... hype is really back to maximum power. Japanese voice acting was amazing, of course. I wanna see an English version of this so badly.....

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Welp!
Just another reason to do NG+! :D

haha yeah I guess so, I actually managed to get a lot of slinks to 10 surprisingly, i'm still half way through jan and I figure I'm basically at the end of the game? What a wild ride this game has been for a first play through. Once I see the credits roll I'm gonna have to write an LTTP for it.

Also for serious the winter theme music is fucking amazing, like easily one of the best tracks tonally.

EDIT: Oh my god March
THIS GAME REFUSES TO END! IM SO HYPE FOR THIS...but i'll have to wait for tomorrow

Makio

Just rewatched Daybreakers.... hype is really back to maximum power. Japanese voice acting was amazing, of course. I wanna see an English version of this so badly.....

Gonna happen the same day Aniplex decide to dub the P3 movies and overcharge it for it... wait for it.
Take a sit and wait for never happening

And thats a shame ... but anyway.

Mediking

Gonna happen the same day Aniplex decide to dub the P3 movies and overcharge it for it... wait for it.
Take a sit and wait for never happening

And thats a shame ... but anyway.

I hope Daybreakers does get a English dub because that would be great advertising. If I was on Atlus advertising, I would call up huge anime sites like Funimation and pretty much plaster Persona 5 there like crazy. If you can't get the stubborn dudebros or people who think anime is too weird or cringy to be interested in your product then shoot for the people who actually MIGHT be interested in your product. Funimation is great at hype stuff. Same goes for Toonami in America. Do a promotion with Toonami. Alotta young adults (younger than me, lol I'm 22) love Toonami and could end up buying Persona 5 if they saw a Persona 5 promotion there.

TV spots should really consist of Joker smiling like a madman and All-Out Attacks. Persona 5 is stylish. Anything small would look amazing in a promotion.

Strimei

I hope Daybreakers does get a English dub because that would be great advertising. If I was on Atlus advertising, I would call up huge anime sites like Funimation and pretty much plaster Persona 5 there like crazy. If you can't get the stubborn dudebros or people who think anime is too weird or cringy to be interested in your product then shoot for the people who actually MIGHT be interested in your product. Funimation is great at hype stuff. Same goes for Toonami in America. Do a promotion with Toonami. Alotta young adults (younger than me, lol I'm 22) love Toonami and could end up buying Persona 5 if they saw a Persona 5 promotion there.

TV spots should really consist of Joker smiling like a madman and All-Out Attacks. Persona 5 is stylish. Anything small would look amazing in a promotion.

Its not under Atlus' control at all and FUNimation won't handle it.

Aniplex handles it (it was their studio that made it, A-1 Pictures). And Aniplex...well good luck there. They have done work with Toonami in the past, admittedly (SAO, Blue Exorcist, among others) so that isn't out of the question but they didn't even bother to dub the Persona 3 movies so I doubt they'd dub this.

Mediking

Its not under Atlus' control at all and FUNimation won't handle it.

Aniplex handles it (it was their studio that made it, A-1 Pictures). And Aniplex...well good luck there. They have done work with Toonami in the past, admittedly (SAO, Blue Exorcist, among others) so that isn't out of the question but they didn't even bother to dub the Persona 3 movies so I doubt they'd dub this.

Hmmmm...... hopefully Atlus can contact Aniplex's western department or something. I dunno. Just don't waste huge advertising material.

Minor P5 spoilers ahead:
I'm not exactly torn up if Daybreakers never gets here, considering its events are still a Mementos mission in the actual game.

PK Gaming

Minor P5 spoilers ahead:
I'm not exactly torn up if Daybreakers never gets here, considering its events are still a Mementos mission in the actual game.

Fucking christ man, this isn't a minor spoiler at all

I'm legitimately upset right now since I spent all this time dodging spoilers

Fuck

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking christ man, this isn't a minor spoiler at all

I'm legitimately upset right now since I spent all this time dodging spoilers

Fuck

Uh, that's an incredibly minor spoiler.
It's a side mission that lasts all of 5 minutes and happens very early on.

vaporeon

I...absolutely love the concept art of Ann's hair down (that should be of her, right?)
Why did she have to get pigtails :'(

tumblr_oivuuxDK3o1txlyjvo2_1280.jpg

(Source: avatarem @ tumblr)

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I...absolutely love the concept art of Ann's hair down (that should be of her, right?)
Why did she have to get pigtails :'(

Soejima's comment there actually mentions that they wanted to have at least one scene where Anne had her hair down, and that's why he drew this, but after seeing it they decided against it because they thought it didn't suit her.
Also that side profile of Anne with her mask on looks just like Yusuke lol.

Dantis

Ann looks way better with her hair down.

Pigtails suck.

My copy of the P5 art book arrived yesterday. Or should have, but nobody was in. :(

Well this thread is titled "SPOILER TAGS OR DIE"…

(Speaking of, that was stolen from the Trails commu thread, right? Can someone explain that to me?)

Lusankya

My copy of the P5 art book arrived yesterday. Or should have, but nobody was in. :(

According to the DHL tracker my art book arrived yesterday but I never got it. There was no letter of notice in my mail box and none of my neighbors got it either.
Now I hope the customer service can get a clear answer from the mailman on where the fuck my art book is. :mad:

Dantis

Well this thread is titled "SPOILER TAGS OR DIE"…

(Speaking of, that was stolen from the Trails commu thread, right? Can someone explain that to me?)

Uh. No? I have no interaction with the Trails thread. I wouldn't have known it existed to steal.

According to the DHL tracker my art book arrived yesterday but I never got it. There was no letter of notice in my mail box and none of my neighbors got it either.
Now I hope the customer service can get a clear answer from the mailman on where the fuck my art book is. :mad:
Mine has allegedly arrived, but I'm at work, so can't confirm.

Sophia

Ann with her hair down doesn't fit the classy cat burglar archtype they were going down, even if it does look better on her then her hair in pigtails.

Dantis

Got the art book. Super interesting. Easily the best of the Persona art books. SO MUCH SOEJIMA.

I've posted some pictures on my Twitter (that I can't really link here due to the scanning policy), but basically there's loads of concept stuff. Some of it looks worse than the final game, some is better.

Also Makoto's braid is a headband. RIP.

A few interesting things:
Thief outfits were once militaristic and sinister looking. Ann is in all black with combat trousers and boots and a gas mask. It actually looks really cool.

There's a picture of Haru with her hair up and looking more elegant.

Futaba used to have black hair.

Some of the unused characters have really great designs.

Top Bottom