• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

What if Bioware takes inspiration from this Kickstarter-driven resurgence of oldschool RPG goodness and makes Dragon Age III not suck?

Can such a thing

dragonage3survey.jpg

SerArthurDayne said:
Lets? Bioware isn't exactly a victim here.

Why not?

jb1234

So, we'll be having a big play-through leading up to the game? That's good. Maybe I'll finally be able to make some progress in Baldur's Gate II...

PFD

Reminds me of Diablo 1. But yes, I see (and hope) this 15 level dungeon is optional and has each level significantly more difficult than the last and final handful could possibly be near impossible without also playing the expansion for more levels and experience. But even if they don't take it that far, it would be nice to at least break it up so you aren't stuck in a 10 hour optional dungeon with the only way out being trekking up 13 maze-like floors to the top.

The concept of the endless dungeon itself reminded me of Diablo 1. It's pretty much like having a diablo 1 as an optional side-quest in the game, heh.

So, we'll be having a big play-through leading up to the game? That's good. Maybe I'll finally be able to make some progress in Baldur's Gate II...

Yep, I would like some feedback on the time I've proposed for each game/expansion though:

Arcanum - October, 2012

The D&D isometric RPG bonanza
Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal (combined into a singular game through the help of BG Tutu/BG Trilogy) - November-January, 2012-2013
Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale 2 - February-March, 2013
Planescape: Torment - April, 2013
Temple of Elemental Evil - May, 2013

Fallout series
Fallout 1 - June, 2013
Fallout 2 - July, 2013
Fallout: New Vegas August, 2013

The second D&D bonanza

Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - October-November, 2013
Neverwinter Nights 2, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir - November-December, 2013

The final stretch

Alpha Protocol - January, 2014
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - February, 2014
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - March, 2014

Let me know if I've given any particular game too much or too little time.
We'll basically kick it off once Avellone starts playing arcanum, then go through each game until the game is hopefully released 18 months from now (when we've finished SW:KOTOR2). If it takes an additional 6 months, we can throw in some extra games from each particular series (Fallout, SWKOTOR, player created campaigns for NWN/BG/etc)

mclem

Something of a tangent, but I wonder what's going to happen with travel; an overworld like Fallout and BG is a given, with random encounters probably, but I wonder if teleportation magic exists to bypass it at a huge magic cost, whether we'll need to buy food and water, etc.

It's fundamentally incompatible with the graphical style, so I'm not expecting it of this... but one of the things I recall really liking about Ultima 7 was the fact that it had a completely seamless overworld, it didn't load up a different map if you (for instance) left Trinsic. Gradually seeing things get more built-up as you headed towards Britain was quite impressive for the time.

I'd love to see a top-down or isometric RPG try something like that again.

Reminds me of Diablo 1.

Diablo 1 was specifically what I had in mind when I wrote it, actually!

Alternatively, here's a thought: It's called The Endless Paths.

What if you climb eight levels of a tower to get a key to access the basement, which goes down to a further seven levels? That gives you a natural breakpoint to regroup and re-arm, can lead up to a natural climax atop the tower, and still remains true to the scale they set out for themselves.

(And now I write that, I can't help but think that it'd be paced better if the basement part came first, because climaxes atop towers are always awesome, but then you've always got the tower visible and I quite like the structure of "you think you're at the end... but no you're not, because you can go *this* way instead!)

Straw poll: If they were to structure it as three independent three-floor buildings of which you'd need to complete all three before you can access a central six-floor tower, would you feel cheated? I think some people are fixated on the concept of a superstructure, which is *nice*, but I think it can be a more *interesting* design if you don't do that.

Violet_0

Banned
those Dragon Age 3 names are ... something.

Obsidian should just call their final game Eternity (as was suggested earlier in the thread), I'm sure most people would be happy with it

When you consider a dungeon like Watcher's Keep was only about 6 levels, 15 seems massive.

Depending on the size and amount of content they're going for, I can almost see them making the dungeon a free post-release DLC. Also, and I'm basing this one a very vague comment by Avellone (or maybe it was Sawyer), the giant will almost definitely play an important role.

marrec

Banned
Let me know if I've given any particular game too much or too little time.
We'll basically kick it off once Avellone starts playing arcanum, then go through each game until the game is hopefully released 18 months from now (when we've finished SW:KOTOR2). If it takes an additional 6 months, we can throw in some extra games from each particular series (Fallout, SWKOTOR, player created campaigns for NWN/BG/etc)

The only thing that stood out to me was the BG Trilogy. Seems like you'll need WAY more time for it. BGII is a gigantinormous game but the Time Dilation of not having played it in years may be making me remember it as longer than it is.

Patryn

The only thing that stood out to me was the BG Trilogy. Seems like you'll need WAY more time for it. BGII is a gigantinormous game but the Time Dilation of not having played it in years may be making me remember it as longer than it is.

No, it's definitely huge. But if you've played it recently or know what you're doing, it can be short.

Act 2 alone can either be a couple hours, or the length of most JRPGs depending on if you do everything or the bare minimum to gather the required amount of money.

marrec

Banned
I'd just move everything after BG Trilogy up a month and give Baulder's Gate another month to complete. Or combine KOTOR and KOTOR2 into one month. (They play way faster than BG). Alpha Protocol plays pretty fast too, especially if you cheese it.

mclem

Yep, I would like some feedback on the time I've proposed for each game/expansion though:

One potential flaw I'd flag up, but I'm not sure if it's something that should be factored in: In the middle of all that we're going to have the first pile of other Kickstarters appearing; Shadowrun Returns is targeting Jan 2013, Wasteland 2 is aiming for Oct 2013, Dead State is Dec 2013. I imagine there's at least some crossover between people who've pledged for those and people who'd be interested in the playthroughs.

A reason why I'm not sure it should be factored in is that as we currently stand, those are only target release dates. Planning around a release date that may well shift might be unwise.

(While the parallels are less direct, it's probably also worth mentioning Grim Dawn as possibly being another clash; that's aiming for August 2013)

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Will be disappointed if the titan isn't alive and taking his confined state in good humor.

I will be disappointed if the titan cannot be used as a mount if you have the party bard sing "Higher and Higher".

Violet_0

Banned
No, it's definitely huge. But if you've played it recently or know what you're doing, it can be short.

Act 2 alone can either be a couple hours, or the length of most JRPGs depending on if you do everything or the bare minimum to gather the required amount of money.

I once played BG2 for 16+ hours straight, did everything there is to do in act 2 and got pretty far into act 3 (not my first time though). It's not as massive as most people think.

And Shadowrun is seriously coming out in January already? Wow.

szaromir

Banned
I started BG Trilogy today, got to Beregost and stopped for now. I played through BG1 and BG2 10 years ago, so luckily I've forgotten a lot of stuff, especially in BG2. I never started Throne of Bhaal, so I'm looking forward to it. I also played through Planescape Torment for the first time a few weeks ago.

One thing that stands out the most is that the game holds your hand a lot compared to Torment and even moreso compared to the likes of Fallout. I don't think that's a bad thing though, you know what you need to do right off the bat if you want to follow the story but can also venture off in another direction if you feel like that.
Another thing is that the dialogue options are barebones and aren't too meaningful. As a role-playing game this game is very lacking to Black Isle's/Obsidian's games, so this is one area Project Eternity should be much better at.

The atmosphere though is great though and as a "experience an epic adventure in a generic fantasy world" this is still the series to beat.

marrec

Banned
Man, I really need to clear out some space to play Torment and the Icewind Dale again...

Probably BG too.

Anyone have a good way to explain to your wife that you can't go to work for the next 3 months because you're replaying old CRPG games?

Velinos

It is an ambitious schedule, but doable. Due to my lack of time to play games much these days I probably will not be able to keep up, but I do look forward to finally playing through the IE games and NV. I bought those games back when they came out and never finished them and it will be satisfying to be able to remove them from my extensive backlog. This will be fun.

mclem

And Shadowrun is seriously coming out in January already? Wow.

Well, that's their *target* release date. We'll see. I got the impression through the campaign that Shadowrun was aiming for a very P&P style with formal missions being a little linear in terms of environments visited (but of course, open in terms of your choices in what you do in them!); if I'm right, that wouldn't be as demanding as the other RPG projects are shaping up to be.

Corto

The hardest part about Kickstarter is waiting. 2 years is a very long time to wait =O

The best course of action is to try to forget about the game until release. The documentary and the Beta will make this difficult though. The Beta I already decided that I won't participate on it. The documentary I will eat it up as soon as it's released.

Anno

People choosing anything other than ToEE in that poll make me sad. If this turned out to be turn-based strategy with that level of combat complexity? One can only dream...

Durante

People choosing anything other than ToEE in that poll make me sad. If this turned out to be turn-based strategy with that level of combat complexity?
It won't. One of the (few) things definitely confirmed is that it will be real time with pause combat. (Personally I'm happy about that, we are already getting tons of purely turn-based isometric RPGs over the next few years)

Patryn

People choosing anything other than ToEE in that poll make me sad. If this turned out to be turn-based strategy with that level of combat complexity? One can only dream...

I'm probably strange in that I prefer real-time with pause instead of turn-based.... unless we're talking about Arcanum, which has the worst implementation of that possible. It would be far better if they just used Fallout's turn-based system.

mclem

The best course of action is to try to forget about the game until release. The documentary and the Beta will make this difficult though. The Beta I already decided that I won't participate on it. The documentary I will eat it up as soon as it's released.

I'm in two minds about the beta, both of which stem from my experiences in games development.

On the one hand, I *like* playing a finished product these days. It's nice to leave that part of me behind and enjoy something without the jank that comes from being a WIP.

On the other, though, I'm somewhat skilled. I know what I want to see in a bug report; I've written several of my own. I've some experience of testing to destruction, and experimenting to reproduce an issue - occasionally repeating things hundreds of times if required.. I think my contribution could be worthwhile.

It basically boils down a little to selfishness. Do I want to get the best possible experience for myself, or do I contribute towards making a better experience for everyone?

Durante

I'm probably strange in that I prefer real-time with pause instead of turn-based.... unless we're talking about Arcanum, which has the worst implementation of that possible. It would be far better if they just used Fallout's turn-based system.
I prefer RtwP as well. In a good implementation, it gives you all the control of a turn-based system, but with a much more believable presentation (everyone acting simultaneously) and a built-in "fast forward" function.

dude

dude

Most people I know prefer RTwP, only on the internet have I seen anyone who prefers turn-based. I mean, I like turn based enough my self, but it makes even the tiniest of encounters slow as hell. RTwP usually gives me as much strategic control and still keeps combat engaging.

Are there really still people complaining about this not being turn-based? They've made it clear on so many occasions that this is gonna be RTwP. Besides, as others have said, RTwP is basically turn-based at it's most basic level anyway, just without that hard-wired checkpoint pause after every action. It's still as essentially turn based as one could want.

SerRodrik

Are there really still people complaining about this not being turn-based? They've made it clear on so many occasions that this is gonna be RTwP. Besides, as others have said, RTwP is basically turn-based at it's most basic level anyway, just without that hard-wired checkpoint pause after every action. It's still as essentially turn based as one could want.

...What? No, they aren't really the same basic thing at all.

Dennis

Banned
Kickstarter and PayPal Stats

So as of about 1:30 PM PDT, here’s where we stand funding-wise:

Kickstarter
Backers: 73,986
Pledged: $3,986,929

PayPal
Backers: 3,681
Pledged: $176,279

Totals
Backers: 77,667
Pledged: $4,163,208

The Ultimate Let’s Play Order

This is just a preliminary order and schedule, that will be changed around as other Kickstarter funded games are released (as there’s probably going to be an overlap between those who have pledged for PE and Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Dead State, etc) and based on feedback from you guys.

Kicking it off with Arcanum with Avellone
Arcanum - October, 2012

The D&D isometric RPG bonanza
Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal (combined into a singular game through the help of BG Tutu/BG Trilogy) - November-February, 2012-2013
Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale 2 - March-April, 2013
Planescape: Torment - May, 2013
Temple of Elemental Evil - June, 2013

Fallout Isometric games
Fallout 1 - July, 2013
Fallout 2 - August, 2013

The 3D Project Eternity Developer developed games
Fallout: New Vegas September, 2013
Alpha Protocol - October, 2013
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - November, 2013
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - December, 2013

The second D&D bonanza
Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark, Neverwinter Nights: Sands of Fate (Mod) - January-March, 2014
Neverwinter Nights 2, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir - March-May, 2014

Let’s play of Project Eternity by June 2014!
lol

Where to purchase the games:

Cross-compare the prices yourself to make sure you get the game for a good price. In addition to Steam, GOG, Amazon, Gamersgate, it’s worth taking a look at local game mom&pop game shops and making use of online price compare sites (such as Pricespy.co.uk, Pricerunner.com, etc).

Arcanum - GOG ($5.99),
Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast - GOG ( $9.99)
Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal - GOG ($9.99)

Baldur's Gate Compilation -
Amazon [UK] (£11.79)

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition also coming in November Might not be compatible with currently existing mods (though it is enhanced, so you don't need them.

Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale 2 - Amazon [UK] (£12.10)
Planescape: Torment - GOG ($9.99)
Temple of Elemental Evil - GOG ($5.99)

Dungeons & Dragons Anthology (All of the above D&D games) - Gamersgate (DRM?) [UK/US] (£14.99/$19.99), Gamespot (DRM free?) [US] ($19.99)

Fallout 1 - GOG ($5.99)
Fallout 2 - GOG ($5.99)
Fallout: New Vegas - fashionworld.co.uk [UK] (£22), ShopTo [UK] (£13.85), Steam [US] ($29.99), Amazon[US] ($29.99)

Gog are currently having a Pay What You Want for Interplay games- Fallout1+2+30 other games for 30 or so dollars

Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - GOG ($9.99), Amazon [US] ($19.95) , Amazon [UK] (£23.02+£3.29)
Neverwinter Nights 2, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir - Amazon, excluding SoZ [US] ($29.95+$3.99)

Neverwinter Nights 1+2+expansions - Amazon [US] ($45.39+$3.99)

Alpha Protocol - Steam [US/UK] ($19.99/£14.99), Amazon [US/UK] ($6.48/£2.99+£2.03)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Amazon [US/UK] ($9.45/£5.81)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - Amazon [US/UK] ($13.16/£7.74)

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic I and II PC Bundle Pack - Amazon [US/UK] ($19.99/£9.99)

Mods!

No, not you Minsc.
Though credits goes to Minsc for his GOG thread from where I found these mods.

Before you get down to business

Unless indicated, always start a new game once before installing mods! Mods often need files to be generated from starting a new game to work properly. Also never install games to the program files directory, often mods won't work right because of Window's permissions getting in the way. Remember to make backups of the original files before deleting or replacing them, just in case things go wrong.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura
Unofficial Patch, HQ Townmaps, High-res patch, HQ Music
Beta Content Restoration Pack - very optional, restored content, mostly animations​

Baldur’s Gate: The Original Saga & Baldur's Gate 2: Complete

Baldur's Gate - Conservative Guide
(original engine)
Highlights: FixPack v1.1, Text Update v1.1, Widescreen Mod, Unfinished Business, Mini Quests Mod, TweakPack, Herbs & Potions.
- Slowdown? Use the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit, works fullscreen and windowed. For help creating profiles, see here (1:45-3:00).
Or try: D3DWindower - Removes slowdown, may not be necessary. Setup help.
- Run config.exe (optional), change framerate/AI updates to 45 or 60 (i find 30 too slow, 60 too fast).​

Baldur's Gate 2 Guide (also gives order to install)
Highlights: Ascension, Fix Pack, Spell Revisions, Item Revisions, Banter Pack, Unfinished Business, Dungeon-Be-Gone, Stratagems II, Widescreen Mod, TweakPack
- Slowdown? Use the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit, works fullscreen and windowed. For help creating profiles, see here (1:45-3:00).

EasyTuTu (play BG1 in BG2's engine)
Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BG1 & 2 merged in to single continuous gaming experience)
BiG World Project (installer to "automatically" setup BG1 & 2 using BGT as you see fit, many, many mods or very few)

Fallout
Mod Guide (<- Use this for info) - Highlights: Semi-official patch v1.2.1 (includes children patch), Unofficial patch v1.3.5 [alt], High-Resolution Patch v3.0.5, NPC Mod
Fallout FIXT - Compilation of most popular fixes/mods in one simple package
Troubleshooting:
- Color problems? CHANGE the line "COLOUR_BITS = 8" to "COLOUR_BITS = 16" in f1_res.ini.
- Crashing? Try deleting/renaming the ddraw.dll file and setting your resolution and colour in the ini file
- Make sure in the compatibility tab, the 256-color mode option is not checked off.
- Windowed mode? Try D3DWindower. Be sure to use 8-bit color in f1res.ini. General setup help.

Fallout 2
Mod Guide - Check here for more up to date mods!
Highlights: Killap's Unofficial Patch, Restoration Project (2nd+ playthrough), sfall, High Resolution Patch
Troubleshooting:
- Color problems? CHANGE the line "COLOUR_BITS = 8" to "COLOUR_BITS = 16" in f2_res.ini.
- Crashing? Try deleting/renaming the ddraw.dll file and setting your resolution and colour in the ini file
- Make sure in the compatibility tab, the 256-color mode option is not checked off.
- Windowed mode? Try D3DWindower. Be sure to use 8-bit color in f2res.ini. General setup help.

Icewind Dale Complete
Mod Guide - Highlights: Widescreen Mod, Unfinished Business, Item Upgrade, Tweak Pack (see guide for help), IWD NPCs (optional, BG-party experience)
- Run config.exe (optional), change framerate/AI updates to 45 or 60 (i find 30 too slow, 60 too fast).​

Icewind Dale 2 Complete
Icewind Dale 2 Mod Links/Info - Highlights: Widescreen Mod, Tweak Pack, IWD2 NPCs (optional, BG-party experience)

Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition
Planescape: Torment
GOG Mod Guide - Highlights: Bigg's Widescreen mod, Ghostdog's UI mod, DDraw Fix,
Ultimate Fixpack, Unfinished Business, Tweaks Pack
- Problems? Start over (fresh reinstall) and sure to start a new game between each step to isolate where it went wrong.
- Slowdown / artifacts / stuttering? Try DDraw Fix first or
Use the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit, works fullscreen and windowed. For help creating profiles, see here (1:45-3:00). Or try:
D3DWindower - Removes slowdown, may not be necessary. Setup help.

Temple Of Elemental Evil, The
Circle of Eight Modpack - Instructions (start @ step 4) - Fixes bugs, optional new content (NC), better AI, and more (Co8 versions explained).
Troubleshooting:
- Add profile to D3DOverrider to not activate on ToEE.exe, crashes games
- Use toee.cfg to edit resolution, see valid resolutions here (warning: switching resolutions mid-game may be unstable)​

It should be noted that the increased size fonts for Ghostdog's UI mod for Torment can work with other IE games. You can't use his installer, but the font files are in separate folders. You need to figure out which fonts correlate to which texts in the game (conversation, floaters, UI), then you can move them over and rename them as needed to replace the fonts. I very much preferred his fonts, so I used them in all my IE games. The end result is much less squinting and a very enjoyable experience.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am sooo in. I'm missing BG1, IWD2, and NWN games, but that may be remedied as we go along. I've already started on Arcanum.

Thanks for adding my tip. -_^ Sorry I didn't have more specific instructions laid out.

It should be noted that the increased size fonts for Ghostdog's UI mod for Torment can work with other IE games. You can't use his installer, but the font files are in separate folders. You need to figure out which fonts correlate to which texts in the game (conversation, floaters, UI), then you can move them over and rename them as needed to replace the fonts. I very much preferred his fonts, so I used them in all my IE games. The end result is much less squinting and a very enjoyable experience.

Thanks for reminding me of that again, added to the post.

Zeliard

It's still unclear when Avellone will start Arcanum. They said "holiday season" which seems to imply more Christmas-time than Halloween.

Top Bottom