• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

It's not weird, Avellone asked people on Obsidian forum few months back if they would do kickstarter what you people want us to do. And most of people said "create a game what you want we trust you" , second one was planescape sequel.

That doesn't actually address any of what I said.

Giving us the soul thing is nice, but without context, what do we do with that? And they obviously have an idea of where that soul thing is going, I just found it odd that their campaign page was sparce with any information about the actual story of the game they were thinking of making.

That's not a bad thing, it just hit me as odd that they would leave that out. It felt a bit like "rest on your laurels".

Once you start adding shit that wasn't in the original plan, you run the risk of screwing up the entire operation because everything has to be readjusted.

But Avellone was very adamant about knowing your overhead fees at SDCC, so I'd be willing to cautiously let it slide.

At this early point in concept, however, the malleability of the project (along with the fact that this team isn't exactly new to the whole 'making a game' thing) means that adding in extra characters, areas etc isn't going to throw the entire thing off.

Giving us the soul thing is nice, but without context, what do we do with that? And they obviously have an idea of where that soul thing is going, I just found it odd that their campaign page was sparce with any information about the actual story of the game they were thinking of making.

Lots of speculation for everybody ;)

duckroll

That doesn't actually address any of what I said.

That's not a bad thing, it just hit me as odd that they would leave that out. It felt a bit like "rest on your laurels".

Part of what keeps Kickstarter campaigns going for an entire month is drip-feeding info along the way. If you throw out everything at the start, it makes you look good, but it also means you have less stuff to drip-feed later on. Obsidian clearly felt they had the brand name and trust among the core fans right from the start, so rightly or wrongly that's what they wanted to do.

Considering the amount raised so far, it seems they made the right call. They already said they will be sharing more details in the weeks to come. Think about it as a month long marketing campaign, where they plan updates at certain points to drive interest again, get in the headlines, get people talking, and this word of mouth is what drives more people who have not contributed to the Kickstarter to take notice of it again.

It's not an investment. You're basically being a patron (or philanthropist if you prefer) with the bonus of a cool game if everything works out.

I hear what you're saying, but giving money to a well established company is hardly my idea of philanthropy.

And if this game does great and they make a huge profit on it, or they sell it to a publisher eventually after it's basically done, there is no upside in it for any backer. But on the other hand if Obsidian folds next year or the game gets scrapped for whatever reason, everyone backer just walks away empty handed with no recourse.

That said, I'm not super worried about this particular project, I'm just playing devils advocate. I am however kind of morbidly fascinated to see what happens when one of these high profile, big $ amount kickstarter games fails to pan out - because I guarantee that will happen within the next year or two.

DiscoJer

A third person stealth action game is too costly to be funded via Kickstarter. You can make a low budget isometric RPG with a small team, not so much an Alpha Protocol style game.

I dunno, Republique pulled in 500k, and that had a name attached to it, but probably not the biggest name. What if it was one of the more famed Japanese developers in the genre, not just a guy who worked on one (I think) recent MGS?

I think developers are just going to have to learn to develop cheaper. Other than a handful of huge hits a year, the AAA model doesn't seem to be doing so well anymore.

I have barely played an Obsidian game but I trust gaffers on their talent. I did enjoy KOTOR 2 from what little I played. I just have to start playing Planescape: Torment and their other games on GOG.

Durante

And if this game does great and they make a huge profit on it, or they sell it to a publisher eventually after it's basically done, there is no upside in it for any backer.
The backers get the game. At a significant discount even if they so desire. Is that not a upside?

I hear what you're saying, but giving money to a well established company is hardly my idea of philanthropy.

And if this game does great and they make a huge profit on it, or they sell it to a publisher eventually after it's basically done, there is no upside in it for any backer. But on the other hand if Obsidian folds next year or the game gets scrapped for whatever reason, everyone backer just walks away empty handed with no recourse.

That said, I'm not super worried about this particular project, I'm just playing devils advocate. I am however kind of morbidly fascinated to see what happens when one of these high profile, big $ amount kickstarter games fails to pan out - because I guarantee that will happen within the next year or two.

They've already said they'd be interested in turning this into a franchise. If this model is going to be viable in the long run, they need to figure out some way to feed profits back into the ecosystem. As for selling it to a publisher, c'mon. There's devil's advocacy and there's absurdity.

Perkel

Banned
storafötter;42152259 said:
I have barely played an Obsidian game but I trust gaffers on their talent. I did enjoy KOTOR 2 from what little I played. I just have to start playing Planescape: Torment and their other games on GOG.

You can't go wrong with Torment. It's my best game ever.

Ceebs

And if this game does great and they make a huge profit on it, or they sell it to a publisher eventually after it's basically done, there is no upside in it for any backer.
Why would anyone sell a finished game to a publisher that is for a platform that you can easily self-publish on?

Funding or retail space is the only reason any PC developer would actually need a publisher these days.

Corto

Still about the additional info about the game. I want to be surprised. Generic themes, main mechanic systems, combat, concept art, a screenshot of a prototype user interface would be cool, anything more than that will be very delicate to manage in terms of disclosure/surprise. It's a tough balance.

Perkel

Banned
They've already said they'd be interested in turning this into a franchise. If this model is going to be viable in the long run, they need to figure out some way to feed profits back into the ecosystem. As for selling it to a publisher, c'mon. There's devil's advocacy and there's absurdity.

Publishers should be doing what they were created for. Publish games not create them.
Good publisher should look for amazing game without publisher and sell it to retailers.

There is nothing wrong with that model. Problem is most of publishers now aren't publishers at all. They are publishers and partially devs. That's what is wrong with pubs these days.

Look at Witcher game. Publishers can't do nothing to Witcher because IP and whole work was already done. They are only publishers of game to retailers.

Witcher devs get cut from game, publishers from their work (pitching to retailers, print coppies, adds), retailer cut for their work (their shelfspace). That's imo healthy business.

Today it looks like this. Devs create game for amount of $$$, they don't get royalty much. rest is as above.

xenist

It's already past 850k. A million in 24 hours is quite doable.

And it's logical. Avellone alone could have made a video with him saying "GIEF MONI PLX!" and he'd get 100k easy.

I'm glad this project exists, and I did contribute some money, but I'm actually beginning to hit my limit with Kickstarters since I've yet to actually have one of the things I've backed come out. I feel like this is probably my last one.

I'm going on three, and the fourth is on its way.

Herla

I just noticed

"The collector's edition box will include a cloth map just like the old RPGs that we love. The game patch is an embroidered high quality non-iron on patch.
Game patches are a tradition at Obsidian, and we want to share that tradition with you! Please add $20 for international shipping."

I am temped. really tempted. I usually don't particularly like the concept of Kickstart, but .... rpg, party, isometric, following the heritage left by BG and Torment......

for 20EUR I would be basically pre-buying the game and supporting some heavy names of the RPG history.

On the other hand .... without the pressure, or the possibilility to put pressure, like a normal investor could do .... who knows what will happen !

When the game will really see the light ?
Games are delayed very often, and this happens despite the huge pressure to release from the producers ..... who knows without that pressure how many delyas a project so ambitious could sees.

We have 0 warranties on the final product, and 0 control as well. Not the best conditions for the money we are giving (and this is why I don't like usually kickstarter).

On the other hand it is just 20/25 bucks.

dejan

There's not much actual information about the game in the pitch video, but I'm pretty sure that's all part of their carefully laid-out Kickstarter campaign plan. Obsidian went Batman on this one. Expect them to start revealing more about the game itself through project updates and a detailed stretch-goals list after they hit their initial target.

szaromir

Banned
Publishers should be doing what they were created for. Publish games not create them.
Good publisher should look for amazing game without publisher and sell it to retailers.

There is nothing wrong with that model. Problem is most of publishers now aren't publishers at all. They are publishers and partially devs. That's what is wrong with pubs these days.

Look at Witcher game. Publishers can't do nothing to Witcher because IP and whole work was already done. They are only publishers of game to retailers.

Witcher devs get cut from game, publishers from their work (pitching to retailers, print coppies, adds), retailer cut for their work (their shelfspace). That's imo healthy business.

Today it looks like this. Devs create game for amount of $$$, they don't get royalty much. rest is as above.

Publishers fund the games, so it's in their best interest to supervise development and put it in direction where it bring the highest possible return of investment. The Witcher 2 was self funded, so it only needed distributors to retailers. But in your typical case you can't expect publishers to give developers money to churn and let them be.

I suspect a lot of publishers' employees also are quite passionate about the products they supervise, have a lot of experience with the market and can genuinely help to make a better product in the end with their input.

Alright, I'm in for my first kickstarter ever even though I still feel a little iffy on the whole premise. The business guy in me doesn't love the idea of getting people to put up equity without any potential profit, but hey it's only $20.

Plus, the game sounds awesome and I wanna support Mr. Avellone, a fellow TJHSST alum.

I feel kinda the same, especially given that it is not a small startup.

But as you have pointed out yourself it is just 20 bucks.

Does Obsidian even own the IP? It wouldn't work with a Kickstarter anyway, you aren't going to raise the 10s of millions of dollars you'd need.

SEGA owns Alpha Protocol. Maybe someone should call Nintendo and ask if they want some hardcore RPG cred for the WiiU to go with their character action order.

Vlodril

I feared that an obsidian kickstarter would fail after all the negativity in every thread here but it appears people have good taste too some times. So happy.

And please publishers meddle and makes things worse quite often as is apparent by now.

I hope this is a new breath for Obsidian and everything goes well.

I still find it hilarious that a game like this can get crowdfunded at an astonishing rate, yet be totally unappealing to every publisher.

indeed.

Old school rpg is for sure a niche title when compared to FPS, but with a lot of very passionate fans.

Llyranor

Well, Wizardry VIII, one of the most amazing WRPGs ever, couldn't secure a publisher, even despite the brand name. RIP Sirtech Canada ;_;

RPGCrazied

This better blow baulders gate out of the water for $1 million. They aren't really that graphic intensive. I'm sure this won't have a lot of voice work either.

Drek

Alright, I'm in for my first kickstarter ever even though I still feel a little iffy on the whole premise. The business guy in me doesn't love the idea of getting people to put up equity without any potential profit, but hey it's only $20.

Plus, the game sounds awesome and I wanna support Mr. Avellone, a fellow TJHSST alum.

The vast majority of great artists, poets, writers, and philosophers were only capable of doing what they did thanks to philanthropic sponsors.

Kickstarter is that same mindset on a grass roots level. We appreciate the art they make and will gladly sponsor them so that art can exist. Thanks to digital media we all get to enjoy the finished product, as opposed to renaissance artists where only the single sponsor could own the byproduct of the artist's labors.

Now we just need to find a way to expand this to other media. I'd love to see a Kickstarter novel from a legitimate writer.

Was about to pledge until I saw STEAM. Will not support those fuckers, and I'm not paying $80 for the physical version. I'm oot!

Xater

Was about to pledge until I saw STEAM. Will not support those fuckers, and I'm not paying $80 for the physical version. I'm oot!

Oh are we at the point where people start to believe it's cool to hate on Steam?

Anyway, it's pretty cool how well this project is going. Hope we hear about stretch goals soon.

Perkel

Banned

What's wrong with that ? DRM ?

Wait a bit GOG lately started pitching to kickstart project to get their redeem codes instead of steam ones.

I too hope there will be GOG version redeem codes.

Sharp

I honestly don't even know what you're talking about. Steam does have DRM but it's pretty mild, and if you're worried about them stealing your games or something (?) you can always play in offline mode.

Perkel

Banned
This is great and all, and I'm actually excited but what if they don't deliver the goods?

They will lost their fans meaning there will be no more OBSIDIAN kickstarter.

Kickstarter idea is all about people if you fuck with people there will be no people pledging for your project.

BTW 900k ! 4 and half hour till full 24h.
oh 908 now.

they will meet their funding goal in 24h BELIEVE

robin2

I still find it hilarious that a game like this can get crowdfunded at an astonishing rate, yet be totally unappealing to every publisher.
I think it is clear by now that the publishers aren't interested in "ok selling" or even "good selling" stuff, it is not enough. They want stuff that sells TONS and at the same time is very reiterable, thus stuff with the potential to establish regular cycle of hugely remunerative incarnations.

Minsc

Gold Member
$900,000 in under 24 hours, amazing! I can't wait for all the updates, it was mentioned a few times, but I hope there's eventually a goal for some sort of documentation of the development process. It doesn't even have to be a video documentary. They do hint at it in the write-up:

Our relationship with you can be even closer with Kickstarter. We can be more transparent with development and give you an inside look to what goes on day-to-day with the programmers, artists, and designers of Project Eternity. We want to give you a behind the scenes look at the game's development, and we have fun stuff planned like developer blogs, web broadcasts, dev chats, and much, much more.

So that should be great. That kind of stuff also helps alleviate fears (if you have them) of the product not releasing like UnblessedSoul question.

Perkel

Banned
BTW i was looking at this Eternity map and:
e80974b23a251ca3c259c30fecf14bc2_large.png

arcanum_large.jpg

I wonder if they use Arcanum, Fallout like aproach. I loved that for exploration. Thanks to this there would be good way to add mods (simply adding x,y of the map). I also would love for player exploration as it was in Arcanum.

You can alone explore anything but you can ask people where is nearest city.

AColdDay

To people on the fence: its just 20 bucks. You aren't going to look back a year from now and say: "god my life would be so much better if I had kept that 20 dollars". You could lose 20 dollars today, never find it and your life would be no different. In fact you are probably going to feel good that you supported one of the rare studios that still has your interests at heart.

szaromir

Banned
It still has a remote chance of hitting the goal within the first 24 hours, nice. Though I'm planning to contribute in the middle of the campaign to help keep the momentum going. :)

Top Bottom