• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

dude

dude
I also liked the way Arcanum had NPCs taking over dialogue, something that I felt BG2 for example lacked. Wished more games copied that.

Also, 1.5m$! Oh yeah, we're well on our way boys. I predict a 4m finish at this rate.

Dresden

I've seen this tired discussion in every fucking Kickstarter thread from DFA to Wasteland. It just goes in circles and clutters up the thread. We're getting a new hardcore RPG from the best names in the business, that's why we've signed up. If that's not enough for you personally, back out your pledge and leave until the game releases.

It's fucking asinine and tiresome. So is the smug attitude that they see something that the rest of us don't.

dubq

I'm so excited for this project! I backed it on the first day as soon as I saw the words "Obsidian" and "RPG"! I really hope they make that $2MIL stretch goal! ;D

Famassu

I'm so excited for this project! I backed it on the first day as soon as I saw the words "Obsidian" and "RPG"! I really hope they make that $2MIL stretch goal! ;D
They are already 3/4th there. In 3 days. Even if this didn't have the usual rush at the end, it'll fly by 2 million way before the end of the Kickstarter.

DTKT

A video or some in-depth discussion of the races and the world would do wonders.

Right now, the only reason they have 1.5mil is because it's Obsidian and the Torment pedigree.

DTKT

Good luck in this thread making that comment. ;)

I've seen it mentioned several times. I mean, they have said almost nothing regarding the specifics of the world. :p

Don't get me wrong, I have them money because they are Obsidian and made some awesome games, but I can still see a distinct lack of info regarding the actual game. I guess that's how I see it, I gave money to Obsidian because it's Obsidian, not because of the project they pitched.

inm8num2

People weren't taking issue with your points, they were taking issue with your "wake up sheeple" attitude.

That attitude wasn't my intent, and it was only perceived as such because people didn't like what I was saying. And I saw plenty of contention with my points about how there really isn't much to go on other than who's involved (which is fine for now but if they want to reach stretch goals they need to show more concrete concepts and details).

inm8num2

I've seen it mentioned several times. I mean, they have said almost nothing regarding the specifics of the world. :p

Don't get me wrong, I have them money because they are Obsidian and made some great game., but I can still see a distinct lack of info regarding the actual game. I guess that's how I see it, I have money to Obsidian because it's Obsidian, not because of the project they pitched.

Exactly. There's no actual information about the game right now. LOL could have used you a couple hours ago.

Famassu

Exactly. There's no actual information about the game right now. LOL could have used you a couple hours ago.
So? I don't get why you're so obsessed with this. We have all the incentive to pledge money because pretty much the best WRPG developer & best creative minds right now are behind this project. That's all I and many others need to know. They could make an RPG about My Little Pony and I'd still buy it day 1 or pledge money for it.

No one is denying there's very little info about the game, but you're making it seem like that's some huge issue. It's not. They'll give us more info as this Kickstarter goes forward, I think Sawyer already said they are planning to give a lot more info about the world & stuff. They don't need to get all of the pledgers day 1, they can lure them in as time goes by with new information.

Sentenza

Which is funny considering Torments low sales numbers.
Not so strange after all. Some games had very low sales at their time but they managed to build up a reputation as cult titles over the years.
It's like Vampire Bloodlines. It didn't sell shit, but try to announce a sequel/Kickstarter today and you would most likely see the internet going nut over it.

40k backers is not a whole lot of copies sold if you think about it.

In fact, it's would be abysmal numbers for a retail release.
On the other hand, if you think about them as preorders made 2 years before the actual release, it suddenly becomes a way more impressive number.

in this thread I have learned that excitement at the talent contributing to a project is bad, that reading is obsolete and lame, and that the term larping is being misused all over the place.

The Set-Up
The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go.

The prologues are just as stale as the character design formulas.

c) Your happy little world gets turned upside down and off you go to fight the grand poobah

And we have a bingo, ladies and gentlemen.

But seriously, it's good to see that they're starting to release some more detail now they know the game is getting made (even though it probably won't nearly be enough to satisfy inm8num2 et al.). Keep the hype up, keep the pledges rolling in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
dwarf_ranger5cjq1.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned

Project Eternity is still early in development and we are still working on many of the cultures, factions, and ethnic groups of the world and debating many of the system concepts. However, there are certain fundamental things we want to let you know about the game and the setting for Project Eternity.

Your Party
The maximum party size is the player's main character (PC) and up to five companions for a total of six characters. This does not preclude the addition of temporary characters in special circumstances. Companions are never forced on the player. Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose. We feel companions are excellent sounding boards for the player's (and other companions') actions, but the story is ultimately about the player's personal conflict among the larger social and political complexities of the world.

Formations
A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations. As in the good ol' games, you can arrange your party in a large number of set formations. You can also construct your own formations if you want to get fancy. When moving companions, you have the ability to rotate formations for more precise positioning.

Character Creation
At a minimum, players will be able to specify their main character's name, sex, class, race (including subrace), culture, traits, ability scores, portrait, and the fundamental starting options of his or her class (gear, skills, and talents). We have not worked out customization details of character avatars, but we believe those are important and will be updating on these specifics in the future.

Companions
In Project Eternity, companions exist for both narrative and mechanical purposes. Companions are designed to have a driving interest in the player's central conflict. Their personalities and motivations open plot branches and generate conflicts for players to resolve over the course of the story. They are highly reactive to the player's actions and to the world around them. Additionally, companions exist to give players strategic management options in party composition that expand the party's capabilities in exploration, combat, and quest resolution. It is no coincidence that there are at least as many companions as there are classes. As stated above, companions are not required to play through Project Eternity's story, but we feel that they can add greatly to the experience.

The Set-Up
The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go.

The Nature of You
Your character is not required to be of any particular race, cultural background, sex, class, moral outlook, personality, organization, etc. The premise is that you are a victim of circumstance. How you choose to deal with your situation is up to you. You can bear it with stoicism and restraint or fly off in a rage at anyone who gets in your way. The world will react to your choices, but the game is designed to give you the freedom to play your character the way you want to.

Races
We are still developing the races of Project Eternity, but we are creating a range that encompasses the recognizable (e.g. humans, elves, dwarves), the out-of-the-ordinary (e.g. the so-called "godlike"), and the truly odd (?!). Races and subraces differ from each other culturally, but the races also have different physiological factors that can contribute to friction and confusion between them.

Within even the recognizable races (including humans), we are creating a variety of ethnic subtypes and nationalities. This world's races did not all spring forth from the same place, and millennia of independent development have resulted in distinctive and unconnected groups. For example, the dwarf ranger below is originally from a southern boreal region that is quite different from the temperate homes of her distant kin to the north.

Additionally, Project Eternity's world contains some isolated races and ethnicities, but transoceanic exploration and cultural cohabitation have heavily mixed many racial and ethnic groups over time. This mixing is not always... peaceful. At times it has degenerated into genocide and long-standing prejudices are ingrained in many cultures.

That's all for today's update. We'll have more information on the world and systems in the near future. Please give us your feedback and thank you for all of the ideas and support you've given so far!

Nice update

DTKT

I think I really want only 5 companions. I don't want to have to make an arbitrary choice and miss content because the game is locking me out. That's an issue with Mass Effect, if you don't bring specific characters to some places, you miss out on some great stuff. :|

Sotha Sil

I think I really want only 5 companions. I don't want to have to make an arbitrary choice and miss content because the game is locking me out. That's an issue with Mass Effect, if you don't bring specific characters to some places, you miss out on some great stuff. :|

Missing content the first time doesn't bother me. Everyone knows Obsidian games warrant at least five playthroughs!

wrowa

*spike incoming*

I hope they don't forget to add the update to the actual Kickstarter page, otherwise most people might not even see it.

Missing content the first time doesn't bother me. Everyone knows Obsidian games warrant at least five playthroughs!

Yeah, I actually think that an RPG without missable content wouldn't be the same. Part of the fun is that the game experience differs from person to person...

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
J.E. Sawyer said:
We are still developing the races of Project Eternity, but we are creating a range that encompasses the recognizable (e.g. humans, elves, dwarves)

Annoying, but I think we all knew this was coming. Glad they're at least not making them mono-culture stereotypes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm glad Obsidian is finally out of the chains of the publisher circle.

Now we can finally get truly unique settings full of unheard of races like "dwarves" and "elves"(sp?).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Have they talked about audio production values, specifically voice work? Because I don't want them to feel the necessity to have every single line of dialogue spoken, when they could pad the game with so much extra story, conversation and lore with text, voice work reserved for essential/important characters (eg: companions).

Drazgul

I don't want to have to make an arbitrary choice and miss content because the game is locking me out.

I do. The choices you make should matter and result in unique situations, quest resolves, items (maybe even areas and factions). The vast majority of games are of the "play through once, see all the content" type, and every game that supports multiple playthroughs in this fashion should be cherished.

@EatChildren:

Yeah, Feargus did in that GameBanshee interview. Basically, they want a few lines here and there spoken, for flavor - much like IE games.

Top Bottom