• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork crowns King Kendrick Lamar (Top 50 Albums of 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunin

The modus operandi from pitchfork related websites is kinda predictable, which is sad.

Pitchfork is the new mainstream.

remz

word...except country music. I've listened to so much but can't get into it outside of a few songs here and there.

Yeah fuck country music forever pretty much hahahaha. I like the list mostly too. I don't necessarily agree with all the positions, but most of those would make it on my list too. :)

yay music

nitewulf

i find the NPR lists to be better, they include world music and jazz, which none of the mainstream sites like Pitchfork include.

gdt

Man, this is great. Wow. Never even heard of this guy.

I still have much to learn when it comes to electronic music. It can be such a daunting genre.

edit: when he has the full chorus kick in at about 2:45. Hot damn.

They. Bicep is two Irish dudes. They're awesome. Their Vision of Love EP ranked 4th on my AOTY picks.
I remember you liked edits and had just heard that on a mix. This one's been slaying too(and this one).

Should check out Bicep, that 90's house revival sound was my favorite this year:

Bicep - Vision of Love EP Trailer
Waze & Odyssey - I Want You You You
Ejeca - Horizon
Krystal Klear - My Love Is Burning
HNNY - For The Very First Time

Yep, probably my favorite sound of the year too. I'll add Detroit Swindle to the list too. Hadn't checked out those last two on your list either.

Jay Sosa

I remember you liked edits and had just heard that on a mix. This one's been slaying too(and this one).

Should check out Bicep, that 90's house revival sound was my favorite this year:

Bicep - Vision of Love EP Trailer
Waze & Odyssey - I Want You You You
Ejeca - Horizon
Krystal Klear - My Love Is Burning
HNNY - For The Very First Time

Dayum that's some awesome stuff, thanks. Makes me feel like I'm 12 again :D

gets better with every song did you do that intentionally? ;)

Damn need to get my lazy ass to make some music with reason again.

Maiar_m

I'm sorry, but are you sure you listened to the album? I would respect someone saying that the album is too preachy, but "prone to level down any moral grounds or ethical principles one could expect to get from musical culture"?

An album that criticizes gang culture, alcohol abuse, and prostitution, and promotes religion, is "utterly stupid and prone to level down any moral grounds or ethical principles one could expect to get from musical culture"?

BTW, the BBC also loves moral decay.

Sorry I took so long to reply.

So, basically, yeah, I'm aware he's far from the worst and everything. I'll even say he writes pretty well.

However, songs that are meant to mock or critique are all fun and game...only if you understand them that way. Trust me, not everyone does. People who endorse the stuff he sings on "Backstreet Freestyle" for example, well let's just say that's the majority of young rap lovers in their teens, or at least it was back "in my days". And it's such a terrible moral compass.

"The Art of Peer Pressure" is pretty great when you consider its title and what you think it says (I take is as: peer pressure sucks). But again, you'll get so many young and impressionable guys thinking "eh, that's a pretty cool way to hang out".

Finally, an album that promotes religion is indeed "prone to level down any moral grounds" in my book. Religions are rarely the source I'd go for when discussing morals and ethics. An album that's leaning that heavily in the same codes used by the same party it tries to critique seems like a waste to me. I'm aware that this is a theme-based record, with a story that goes through it from start to end and represents changes, and preaches getting out of the mentality described above. But again, my concern is how it will be listened to and by whom. You'll get songs like "backstreet freestyle" shared on high-schooler iPhones in a heartbeat and the moral of the story will go completely unnoticed.

But you guys may be absolutely right. There's a good chance I'm not "getting it" because I don't have the culture needed for that. In which case, that's really fine and really well done. It's just not my cup of tea. And my first post was meant to be dickish and stereotyped, so I deserve this :p

Eh I wouldn't even entertain it. They really don't knowwwww.

I don't know how many people I've came across that still think Swimming Pools is a celebratory drinking song.

That's when I just stop.

Well, that's sort of my point actually.

Daeda

Pitchfork has been terribly off with reviews this year (their Alt-J review is a disgrace) but decent list nonetheless. Not really into hip hop, so cant identify with some of them, but still quite a few in their top ten that also got into mine..

cousins

The homogeneity in end of year lists between sites like Pitchfork, Paste, AV Club, Tiny Mix Tapes and so on seems more obvious than ever this year. I like the Kendrick Lamar album, I like a lot of the albums on these sites top lists, but you'd think there were 100 albums released this year instead of thousands. Same exact albums everywhere. Sharon Van Etten. Killer Mike. Frank Ocean. Chromatics. Scott Walker. Fiona Apple. Beach House. Bat For Lashes. Kendrick Lamar. Tame Impala. Over and over and over but in slightly different order. Music is not remotely this objective, it's just laziness.

Well, half of the sites you just listed haven't released their year end lists. I suppose they all will look the same if you just make them up.

thcsquad

I've only heard a handful of the albums on this list (Shields, Swing Lo Magellan, Bloom) and liked them all to various degrees, so I'll definitely have to give some of the top ones a listen. I'm not that hopeful as far as rap tastes go, as I still haven't forgiven them for giving some Lil' Wayne club nonsense a higher score than the Talib album that came out the same year. So I'll skeptically listen to Kendrick Lamar.

Infinite

I've only heard a handful of the albums on this list (Shields, Swing Lo Magellan, Bloom) and liked them all to various degrees, so I'll definitely have to give some of the top ones a listen. I'm not that hopeful as far as rap tastes go, as I still haven't forgiven them for giving some Lil' Wayne club nonsense a higher score than the Talib album that came out the same year. So I'll skeptically listen to Kendrick Lamar.

It's a good album. If you like hip-hop you'll probably enjoy it, I think.

Jitters

GKMC is fantastic. Its not just PF that thinks so.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Finally gave GKMC a listen.

I don't know. I just don't hear anything really stellar from it. It's not bad but I don't think I'd go back and listen to it again. It's just kinda 'meh' for me.

And yes, I know "It's a story," but that really doesn't save it much, in my eyes. A story in an album should be that icing on the cake that should take a great album some where greater, but this was a story in a rather mediocre album and it can't stand on story alone.

VALIS

Well, half of the sites you just listed haven't released their year end lists. I suppose they all will look the same if you just make them up.

All of the sites I mentioned have released their best of 2012's already, so I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Good dig though, bro.

Blearth

Banned
All best of lists are gonna have a lot of common choices. Whether it be games, movies, music, or whatever else. People aren't that different.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Fiona Apple was robbed also where the fuck is Nas - Life is Good??? that shits all over anything KL has ever done or will do. Pitchfork... awful as usual.

RJT

Sorry I took so long to reply.

So, basically, yeah, I'm aware he's far from the worst and everything. I'll even say he writes pretty well.

However, songs that are meant to mock or critique are all fun and game...only if you understand them that way. Trust me, not everyone does. People who endorse the stuff he sings on "Backstreet Freestyle" for example, well let's just say that's the majority of young rap lovers in their teens, or at least it was back "in my days". And it's such a terrible moral compass.

"The Art of Peer Pressure" is pretty great when you consider its title and what you think it says (I take is as: peer pressure sucks). But again, you'll get so many young and impressionable guys thinking "eh, that's a pretty cool way to hang out".

Finally, an album that promotes religion is indeed "prone to level down any moral grounds" in my book. Religions are rarely the source I'd go for when discussing morals and ethics. An album that's leaning that heavily in the same codes used by the same party it tries to critique seems like a waste to me. I'm aware that this is a theme-based record, with a story that goes through it from start to end and represents changes, and preaches getting out of the mentality described above. But again, my concern is how it will be listened to and by whom. You'll get songs like "backstreet freestyle" shared on high-schooler iPhones in a heartbeat and the moral of the story will go completely unnoticed.

Do you realize your argument is similar to the "videogames are responsible for the mass shootings" argument? Think about that.

BTW, I sure hope that when people praise The Godfather or Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction you go on the same rant.

But you guys may be absolutely right. There's a good chance I'm not "getting it" because I don't have the culture needed for that. In which case, that's really fine and really well done. It's just not my cup of tea. And my first post was meant to be dickish and stereotyped, so I deserve this :p

That's cool. Just pick your targets better, otherwise you look foolish.

Maiar_m

Do you realize your argument is similar to the "videogames are responsible for the mass shootings" argument? Think about that.

BTW, I sure hope that when people praise The Godfather or Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction you go on the same rant.

You may be right. I however think there is a difference between what videogames enable you to "live" and the lifestyle glamourised by a whole ton of rap music, video clips and so on since the late 80s. Both are equally immoral, that doesn't mean they are responsible for the shootings or the general douchyness of teenagers with baggy pants. I don't believe in such a direct correlation, people aren't that simple.

I just dislike the general casualness about both. And I'm standing my ground, yes M.A.A.D city isn't a gangbanging record, yes its second part is exactly the opposite, but I'm still worried "concept records" such as these won't have the impact they are meant to have when music consumption is what it is now. And the effect "gansta rap" culture and MTV culture have had on youth (by their own confession) is really frightening where I come from.

And nope, I've never went on a rant about those movies. Again, I'm aware I might not have the cultural background needed to know how people will appreciate rap music and its often failing moral standards. I do however have the cultural background needed to appreciate movies and their effects. Go figure, I might even not be a complete piece of crap.

That's cool. Just pick your targets better, otherwise you look foolish.
Well that fine by me if I learn things in the process. For example I've learned that it was ok to associate a critique of morals in rap music with scapegoating videogames in relation to shootings. Wink wink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom