• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork crowns King Kendrick Lamar (Top 50 Albums of 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

I can't speak for that dude, but I think I know what he means. There are very few wildcards on these lists with no hints of personal taste. It's like a machine picked all these end of year lists based on some kind of algorithm. These are the records Pitchfork and every Pitchfork wanna be site has been talking about all year. How do a couple dozen sites come up with top-25/50 lists that have all the same albums? It would almost seem impossible. But no one wants to be that guy or that website who left "x" album off or boldly put "x" album on, so they all kind of mold their taste and their accolades to what the other guy likes.

And again, this isn't a knock on any particular record or the Kendrick Lamar album, which I like. But I think I've read twenty "best of 2012" lists in the last week or two and they all read the same, it's crazy.

I feel like caring that much about is stupid. If you disagree with their list then I guess you disagree with their less and that's perfectly fine. To say they conspired with other blogs and publications on this is asinine. How would you know if the editors of this site personal taste was a fionna apple album? Come on.

I feel like caring that much about is stupid. If you disagree with their list then I guess you disagree with their less and that's perfectly fine. To say they conspired with other blogs and publications on this is asinine. How would you know if the editors of this site personal taste was a fionna apple album? Come on.

So why can't we comment on why all these lists seem to be lacking a uniqueness to them that they once had?

We don't know the editors personal taste, but what we do know is that the lists all seem to be the same.

VALIS

I didn't say they conspired, it's more like noticing a few kids in school with red sneakers, and it seems like people kinda like them, so you go out and buy red sneakers the next day. It's not collusion I'm talking about, it's trend mongering.

the quietus list is pretty different from other lists ive seen:

http://thequietus.com/articles/10924-the-quietus-albums-of-the-year-2012

no japandroids or grizzly bear or grimes

granted ill probably never listen to most of these or from pitchforks list but whatevz

Yes, one of my favorite lists this year. I also like the way Dusted does it. Different writers, different tastes, different lists. http://dustedmagazine.com

TeegsD

No Gossamer love? For shame... Like the number one choice, such a good album. Still need to give Channel Orange a playthrough

Infinite

I didn't say they conspired, it's more like noticing a few kids in school with red sneakers, and it seems like people kinda like them, so you go out and buy red sneakers the next day. It's not collusion I'm talking about, it's trend mongering.

Why can't it be that they both thought x album was good that particular year? I really don't get it when people think like this.

Out of this whole list there's about 5 albums on it that I really enjoyed btw.

Infinite

Drake but with a asian girl fetish

tumblr_me8ctgLchl1ryclgeo1_500.gif

Servbot24

Banned
But I think I've read twenty "best of 2012" lists in the last week or two and they all read the same, it's crazy.

Most of the albums on these lists appeal to the lowest common denominator; when all the writers get together, those are the only albums they can all settle on. I doubt anyone actually loves the Beach House and Grizzly Bear albums that much, but they're pleasant and remarkably inoffensive so the editors have to settle on them.

That's my guess anyways. Maybe they just don't want to piss off the masses that read their site.

Servbot24

Banned
Too genre biased...

Seems fairly diverse.

And anyways if you try to cover every genre you only get the accessible low end stuff with predictable token choices from every genre.

I mean even with my list (that goes to my blog in case you don't like giving hits :p) where I make an effort to try new things from each genre I end up often times with the most accessible things because I can't process that much. Genre focused lists are usually more capable of getting to the fresh stuff.

Dead

well not really...yet
One of the first times where Ive heard almost everything on a Pitchfork year end list, and if I haven't im at least aware of it.

Dunno if that says more about me, or more about Pitchfork...

lush

Man, this is great. Wow. Never even heard of this guy.

I still have much to learn when it comes to electronic music. It can be such a daunting genre.

edit: when he has the full chorus kick in at about 2:45. Hot damn.

I remember you liked edits and had just heard that on a mix. This one's been slaying too(and this one).

Should check out Bicep, that 90's house revival sound was my favorite this year:

Bicep - Vision of Love EP Trailer
Waze & Odyssey - I Want You You You
Ejeca - Horizon
Krystal Klear - My Love Is Burning
HNNY - For The Very First Time

Soul_Pie

Lonerism is the only album I've listened to off that list. Oh and the Beach House album. And they were both good.

I clearly don't listen to a lot of music.

JimiNutz

Banned
One of the first times where Ive heard almost everything on a Pitchfork year end list, and if I haven't im at least aware of it.

Dunno if that says more about me, or more about Pitchfork...

I'm the complete opposite.
I have not listened to a single album from that list and have only really heard of a handful of the artists.

Damn, I'm only 27 and I'm already an old timer...
Gonna go buy this Kendrick Lamar thing right now!! (just listened to one of the singles on Youtube and really like it).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm the complete opposite.
I have not listened to a single album from that list and have only really heard of a handful of the artists.

Damn, I'm only 27 and I'm already an old timer...
Gonna go buy this Kendrick Lamar thing right now!! (just listened to one of the singles on Youtube and really like it).

Getting into new music is fun. I dabbed more than I usually do this year, and next year I'm going to try to delve even further. I feel constantly spoilt for choice of what to listen to. I'm constantly surprised and excited by new things I'm listening to. Go into it without an ego and have fun.

Getting into new music is fun. I dabbed more than I usually do this year, and next year I'm going to try to delve even further. I feel constantly spoilt for choice of what to listen to. I'm constantly surprised and excited by new things I'm listening to. Go into it without an ego and have fun.

word...except country music. I've listened to so much but can't get into it outside of a few songs here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom