• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

plane crew almost lets man die because they refuse to believe black woman is a doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

norm9

And then there's this...
Another "seasoned" white male approaches the row and says he is a physician as well. She says to me "thanks for your help but he can help us, and he has his credentials". (Mind you he hasn't shown anything to her. Just showed up and fit the "description of a doctor")

I would guess he showed his credentials to another attendant and the doctor just didn't see him doing it. But yeah, if he just sauntered in to the rescue as described by the facebook post, it's messed up.

The credentials part seems to be the crux of the issue.

It's generally standard for an airline to try and verify the credentials of a person before they let them do anything medical for another passenger, for their own liability's sake, but if she's correct in her belief that the white guy didn't show them shit, then yeah, fuck this crew.

^ What he says.

Kreed

Don't bother. Really. Questioning a story with any angle without actually knowing what you're talking about outside of just wanting to throw out criticism will get you ripped apart on this forum. Doesn't matter if it's just a Facebook post.

Fixed.

I don't much care about people's response to me. I'm totally open to discussing actual news stories, including this one if it were reported by an actual news source. Currently this reads exactly like the same kind of self-congratulatory horseshit as the conservative "marine college student embarrasses liberal professor" chain letters.

If you want to debunk this story, debunk the story. Otherwise, just because the story came from Facebook doesn't mean we can't discuss it. We discuss tweets and instagram posts on this forum all the time (especially from Donald Trump). If you want to discuss why the story in the OP is horseshit, then you can do that without criticizing the need for a thread and discussion in the thread simply because of where the story originated.

Dai101

Banned
A Trump supporter? 😏

2JrU4f6.gif

Well, TBF, why is anyone in Detroit? I'm actually on a southwest flight leaving Detroit.. but I only used its airport to swim into Windsor.

Oh, look..it's in the news!

When asked for comment, Catherine Sirna, spokesperson for Delta Air Lines, emailed that the incident was under investigation and Delta had contacted Cross.

“Discrimination of any kind is never acceptable,” Sirna said. “We’ve been in contact with Dr. Cross and one of our senior leaders is reaching out to assure her that we’re completing a full investigation.”

Sauce..

Meier

Are we actually reporting Facebook posts as real news? Is there any actual news source story about this that isn't simply quoting her post? Any evidence at all? A response from the airline? This reads like utter bullshit.

Why would someone make this up? With their real name and reputation attached? This is a weird post.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
lol @ some assumptions of flight attendants being smarter/more tolerant because of their job than most people.
Their job requirements are actually like 911 dispatchers, they have to deal with emergencies as calmly and carefully as possible. Then they contact whoever can help and if they don't, you can bet someone will die.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
That's an interesting tag you have beneath your name...

Switch Back 9
a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

Ohhhhh very clever responses. I'm not questioning the validity of the story one way or the other, merely pointing out what happens to people who do, which is evidenced many times in this thread. But a tag quote is a much better contribution, so excuse me.

Enzom21

A Trump supporter? 😏

They really dropped the ball..
That's one of the things they are called these days...
Does that poster have a history of doing so? I'm genuinely unaware, but on what basis do you say he or she dismisses ANY AND ALL stories about racism?

This is not even a news story. This is a Facebook post. If you think all Facebook posts merit discussion, I don't even know what to say to you.
Is water wet? Do people from Melmac eat pussy?

Sauce..
Nah they are part of the unintelligent.

The "why were you in Detroit?" thing is what gives it away. Flight attendant saw a black woman, prob a not made-up woman (because who the hell puts themselves together to go sit in a cramped box for hours?), and her perception of what this woman could be narrowed significantly. Not really a fireable offense (and those wishing for this are prob going to be disappointed), but they should implement a standard protocol for how all passengers claiming to be medical personnel are spoken to in these and other situations and hold employees accountable to it in the future. There's zero reason you should have to be reminded of your race when you're just riding on a damn plane.

Does that poster have a history of doing so? I'm genuinely unaware, but on what basis do you say he or she dismisses ANY AND ALL stories about racism?

This is not even a news story. This is a Facebook post. If you think all Facebook posts merit discussion, I don't even know what to say to you.

Are you really saying this on a forum? The same thing could go for anyone that types a story of their own on here, including yourself.

ezrarh

The "why were you in Detroit?" thing is what gives it away. Flight attendant saw a black woman, prob a not made-up woman (because who the hell puts themselves together to go sit in a cramped box for hours?), and her perception of what this woman could be narrowed significantly. Not really a fireable offense (and those wishing for this are going to be very disappointed), but they should implement a standard protocol for how all passengers claiming to be medical personnel are spoken to in these and other situations and hold employees accountable to it in the future. There's zero reason you should have to be reminded of your race when you're just riding on a damn plane.

Flight attendant probably thinks Detroit is like Aleppo (if she knew where Aleppo was)

Ohhhhh very clever responses. I'm not questioning the validity of the story one way or the other, merely pointing out what happens to people who do, which is evidenced many times in this thread. But a tag quote is a much better contribution, so excuse me.

People jumped on Alex (for example) for responding to this story by:

1. Questioning the intelligence of people who are discussing it
2. Implicitly questioning the veracity of the story without any actual justification

So yes, amazingly enough, if your contribution is a driveby that insults people discussing a topic and says "why does this thread exist," you're going to have people tear into you. That's not only normal, but appropriate.

commedieu

Banned

Thank God you're here to educate people on common sense.

Imagine what would happen if people believed acounts of racism without a federal notarized investigation. On a discussion forum.

Your insight, is fresh and very informative. I wonder if you post this in all threads, or if youve ever discussed anything at face value.

Now we just need to wait and see whether Alex Stroud recognizes our intelligence now that it's reached this point

The point where it's a verifiable news story instead of Facebook hearsay? Pardon me for having standards in the sources I believe.

And I bet you guys wish I were voting for Trump. Cancel the reaction gifs and "There it is"'s, guys. Sorry to disappoint.

vypek

I thought that poster was working towards a ban but didn't realize it would be so soon.

Anyways, I don't see what would have been so ridiculous about the veracity of post she made. People become incredulous about a lot of things based on appearance and its not too far fetched to think that this situation was the same.

Forgive the hypothetical, but I'm curious. If the flight attendant had completely prevented this doctor from intervening, and the man in distress had died, is that a form of manslaughter? Negligent homicide? To prevent a doctor from helping someone?

The point where it's a verifiable news story instead of Facebook hearsay? Pardon me for having standards in the sources I believe.

And I bet you guys wish I were voting for Trump. Cancel the reaction gifs and "There it is"'s, guys. Sorry to disappoint.

I'm still waiting for the downside of believing the post.

Forgive the hypothetical, but I'm curious. If the flight attendant had completely prevented this doctor from intervening, and the man in distress had died, is that a form of manslaughter? Negligent homicide? To prevent a doctor from helping someone?

Reckless endangerment perhaps, but the presence of the other doctor would I think protect her. Unless you mean if she was the only doctor on board and the flight attendant declined her assistance, in which case I think she'd be charged with negligent homicide.

Damerman

Fuck that flight attendant. Why would anyone lie about being a doctor? She is volunteering. Its clear what presupposition she has of black women.

What a surprise, the mainstream media is reporting on a story that originated from Facebook like they've been doing for the past 10 years. But good to know we can safely continue healthy discussion of this story now without hive mind accusations.

Funny..my last Police thread was about some kids who got fired for playing Fuck The Police at a rib joint and a Facebook post about it going viral. The shit happens, folks. I found the info about the doctor and airline in less than a minute..maybe use your standards and do the same yourselves..

Awe..not Alex..😢

Enzom21

Plenty of people like you are still democrats.

Edit:
Alex Stroud
Banned
Ooh that's a shame.

rjinaz

Sauce..

There you go, you can "care" now dismissers. Just because something is a facebook post doesn't mean you can't form an opinion on it if it were real, but of course we don't get that, just nah need a source.

By the way, I love your avatar just noticed. Works perfectly with Alf lol.

Based on the story, it sounds like she would have let the woman attend to the guy had the other doc not been there, as she was in the process of confirming her identity. It's more that she didn't even consider the possibility that the woman is a doctor that infuriates, not so much the possibility that the guy was going to die, which doesn't appear to have been the case, here.

I respectfully disagree. It's not necessary or kind and serves to decrease her moral high ground.

(Don't get me wrong though, what happened is terrible and deeply offensively racist.)

I had to laugh at this. Assumed it was a bait post. So i'll bite.
OP was angry and venting within the comfort of GAF. My wife -as with many black women - use that word all the time when they're heated. Shame OP can't maintain absolute composure at all times. Gotta be perfect you know...

Also OP, get your miles. The stewardess will catch that L. She's clearly in the wrong profession.

Who the fuck, in the middle of a medical crisis, has the time and composure to say, "oh no sweetie put ur hand down, we are looking for actual physicians or nurses or some type of medical personnel, we don't have time to talk to you"!? Fucking unbelievable.

Plenty of people like you are still democrats.

No doubt..it's quite saddening.

There you go, you can "care" now dismissers.

By the way, I love your avatar just noticed. Works perfectly with Alf lol.

herman-cain-smile.gif

I didn't necessarily assume that Alex was a Trump supporter (no shade on anyone for making that assumption tho), but yeah, "I'm a Democrat" hasn't been on its own a sign of decency on someone's part to me for years now.

I never even accused him of it. I was just answering the question..😁

Based on the story, it sounds like she would have let the woman attend to the guy had the other doc not been there, as she was in the process of confirming her identity. It's more that she didn't even consider the possibility that the woman is a doctor that infuriates, not so much the possibility that the guy was going to die, which doesn't appear to have been the case, here.

The thing is, the flight attendant likely did not have the expertise to verify whether he would survive or not without immediate care, and in any medical situation where you can't verify the issue fully, you shouldn't be messing about.

The thing is, the flight attendant likely did not have the expertise to verify whether he would survive or not without immediate care, and in any medical situation where you can't verify the issue fully, you shouldn't be messing about.

While this is true, as I've pointed out, verifying the identity and credentials of someone claiming to be medical personnel, or at least trying to, before you let them touch another passenger is pretty standard in these situations, as the airline can become liable if some rando intervenes and makes the situation worse. My mom was on a plane when younger, when another passenger was in distress, and she was disallowed from providing care in favor of another nurse or doc or whatever on board because she didn't have her license on her. What's racist here is the fact that A) the flight attendant did not even think the woman might be a doctor when she was raising her hand, and took a few moments to believe her when informed, and B) the accusation that the white doc was believed without having to show his credentials (which, as I've indicated, may or may not be true, if the guy was farther back in the plane and showed his credentials there).

black_13

Banned
Damn that's stone cold!

I don't blame her for refusing skymiles. That airline needs some good public shaming. I hate plane rides as well and if that was me being sick on a plane I don't need some dumb flight attendant asking for credentials when I'm in dire need of help.

Yeah this is basically how I feel. She couldn't have possibly known how serious this was. Sometimes every second counts...and rather than immediately ask for credentials she spouts a bunch of racist questions and interferes with a medical professional? Pretty fucked. Not sure how anyone could see it any other way, to be honest.

This infuriates me. My mother has been a nurse for 25 years, and I couldn't imagine if some ignorant flight attendant were to get in her way in that situation. I hope the attendant is fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom