• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

plane crew almost lets man die because they refuse to believe black woman is a doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

norm9

This incident does show that our experiences frame the narrative we put out. I'm sure she's experienced racism in the past and that stuck with her in the airplane incident and how she saw it. And it's quite possible the attendant is ignorant and that's how she chose to speak to the doctor. And ITT people sharing their experiences about how it's incredible a person can be a doctor (or whatever title), it just shows we got a long long way to go.

This incident does show that our experiences frame the narrative we put out. I'm sure she's experienced racism in the past and that stuck with her in the airplane incident and how she saw it. And it's quite possible the attendant is ignorant and that's how she chose to speak to the doctor. And ITT people sharing their experiences about how it's incredible a person can be a doctor (or whatever title), it just shows we got a long long way to go.

Do you believe what she said or not? Because it sounds like you don't.

norm9

Do you believe what she said or not? Because it sounds like you don't.

I believe what she said. I don't believe all of it if that makes sense.

ETA- Let me elaborate. I believe the attendant was an idiot who didn't believe she was a doctor. I don't believe the attendant let the other doctor instantly come through without showing credentials. I half believe some of the shitty questions the attendant asked the doctor.

I believe what she said. I don't believe all of it if that makes sense.

media-gif-4.gif

What's all this talk about credentials? Are physicians required to carry some sort of license?

I dunno about required, but makes sense they'd have something on them just in case, and from a liability standpoint it also makes sense the airline would want to confirm.

Thing is, going by the woman's account the male passenger hadn't at least visibly produced any credentials either but was treated much more respectfully.

USC-fan

Banned
Maybe we should get a seasoned expert lol
As an expert I would say race was a factor in why she wasn't believe . Also this is the conclusion she had to the line of questioning.

Delta own policy states the flight attendant own judgement is used if a person doesn't have the correct paperwork.

I wouldnt doubt being a female and young were also a factor.

Can't just hand wave it away.

Coreda

From Delta-

When an individual’s medical identification isn’t available, they’re instructed to ask questions such as where medical training was received or whether an individual has a business card or other documentation and ultimately to use their best judgment

So, in reading Coreda's post, their policy changed?

I doubt it, considering the article I posted was a mere month ago. The 'ultimately use their best judgment' bit apparently isn't used as much as it should be at Delta.

Myself and another physician (in ICU) asked for the emergency medical kit, but the attendant refused until someone showed a medical license. In the aftermath, I confirmed that this was not protocol, and should not be demanded if the person responding seems reasonably competent.

Hard to find anything in writing online atm seeing as it's populated with results about the recent case but considering the emergency in the article I posted, the number of doctors on board, and the attendant's treatment during their help there is more than just one issue that needs to be addressed.

Keihart

this story reads like a sitcom or something you would hear in a standup comedian's show like Chris Brown or something. Pretty crazy.

xkramz

Delta continues to investigate a story surfaced by Dr. Tamika Cross in a recent post on Facebook.

We are troubled by any accusations of discrimination and take them very seriously. The experience Dr. Cross has described is not reflective of Delta’s culture or of the values our employees live out every day. We are in the process of conducting a full investigation. We’ve reached out to Dr. Cross to speak with her directly, talked with our crew members and we’re reaching out to customers who were on board to gather as much information as we can.

While there is much we can’t share because our investigation involves confidential personnel matters, we do want to share what we can.

Three medical professionals identified themselves on the flight in question. Only one was able to produce documentation of medical training and that is the doctor who was asked to assist the customer onboard. In addition, paramedics met the flight to assist the customer further.

Flight attendants are trained to collect information from medical volunteers offering to assist with an onboard medical emergency. When an individual’s medical identification isn’t available, they’re instructed to ask questions such as where medical training was received or whether an individual has a business card or other documentation and ultimately to use their best judgment.

Delta's commitment to diversity, inclusion and respect of all of our customers worldwide is rooted deeply in our company’s values and culture. As a global carrier with a diverse workforce, serving a diverse customer base, we are committed to treating all passengers with kindness and respect.

so basically they dont want to pick sides.

http://news.delta.com/message-about-allegations-discrimination-recent-delta-flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom