• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Shit, took a couple minutes to go back and put spaces between the categories. Want it prettier, go to the website.

lol :p I've posted previous patch notes before, its such a pain the ass (hence why I waited for someone else to do it).

Messed around in vr with the changes, HSNV acts like HSNV now, in vehicles its just a green overlay, get thermal if you want the old HSNV. Lasher shoots green balls now and can has scopes :D The green balls don't blind you like the old purple ones did.

Saron now can be burst fired at longer ranges (and shoots purple).

Love the UI changes, noticed that melee weapons seem to be changeable, maybe that means new melee weaps later (gold knife for $20 anyone lol)?

Really tempted to get the new Ifrit mask

COF on bursters is gonna take some getting used to too

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've seen people talk about the lasher being nerfed. Since I've barely used it, any opinions on it?

I don't like the 75%/15% mess. While I understand the attackers not liking the 1 base defense, I did. Very Alamo like. Now, unless there's some sort of symbol or graphic to easily show "You are about to lose/gain the cont", it's just going to pop up randomly in the middle of battle. 15% is 8-12 bases. Say we are pushed back to Rashnu depth (3-4 bases out from the gate in all directions), that could be the loss of the continent.

Now, if they introduced 2 levels of discounts (for capping 75% and a larger discount for capping 100%), they could still have a bit of the old left over.

All I know of the Saron, is they took out most of the damage it can do to infantry. Another thing I don't like about the game, that AV weapons have a tendancy to not do much/any damage to infantry, if you manage to hit him. Bloom effects I can understand, but if I happen to hit someone with a lancer shot, it should do something serious to that person.

I remember reading something about putting the Grenade/smoke/barrel weapons under the same key as the main weapon (so, instead of it being 2, just press 1 again.) Moving Pistols and other items back to the 2, 3, etc buttons. Does that change anything for swapping weapons using the mouse wheel?

I've seen people talk about the lasher being nerfed. Since I've barely used it, any opinions on it?

I don't like the 75%/15% mess. While I understand the attackers not liking the 1 base defense, I did. Very Alamo like. Now, unless there's some sort of symbol or graphic to easily show "You are about to lose/gain the cont", it's just going to pop up randomly in the middle of battle. 15% is 8-12 bases. Say we are pushed back to Rashnu depth (3-4 bases out from the gate in all directions), that could be the loss of the continent.

Now, if they introduced 2 levels of discounts (for capping 75% and a larger discount for capping 100%), they could still have a bit of the old left over.

All I know of the Saron, is they took out most of the damage it can do to infantry. Another thing I don't like about the game, that AV weapons have a tendancy to not do much/any damage to infantry, if you manage to hit him. Bloom effects I can understand, but if I happen to hit someone with a lancer shot, it should do something serious to that person.

I remember reading something about putting the Grenade/smoke/barrel weapons under the same key as the main weapon (so, instead of it being 2, just press 1 again.) Moving Pistols and other items back to the 2, 3, etc buttons. Does that change anything for swapping weapons using the mouse wheel?

The whole 75%/15% thing seems like it takes away from cont locks, will probably mean a whole lot less going forward

Haven't really tried the lasher in combat but the graphical changes are nice. Saron now takes 2 direct hits to kill infantry. As for the lancer oneshotting infantry, I think they just didnt want to give heavies a sniper :/ Underbarrel now is on the "1" key, just to get to hit just hit "1" once when you have your main weap out or twice if youre switching from a 2ndary weapon. Huh didn't think to test it with the mouse wheel but my smoke launcher was super bugged when I tested it, 9 times out of 10 smoke wouldnt work for me in VR and in the WG

Lonestar

Well, guess the abusive price increases for armor, will make it harder to swarm someone towards the warpgate. Large Armor zergs won't happen as often.

Noticed the line item on vehicle night vision no longer highlighting enemies :( Have to re-buy that feature, now that it's locked to thermal only.

Well, guess the abusive price increases for armor, will make it harder to swarm someone towards the warpgate. Large Armor zergs won't happen as often.

Noticed the line item on vehicle night vision no longer highlighting enemies :( Have to re-buy that feature, now that it's locked to thermal only.

Yeah, HSNV is pretty much useless in vehicles now, it really just adds a green filter over things (even on infantry guns, the range at which it highlights people has been reduced)

I never liked the idea of HSNV anyway. When BF3 introduced it games just became dominated by people using it. I just don't think its something that can be properly balanced in a video game. I'd rather it be ineffective to the point of useless rather than almost mandatory for a lot of people.

MrBig

I never liked the idea of HSNV anyway. When BF3 introduced it games just became dominated by people using it. I just don't think its something that can be properly balanced in a video game. I'd rather it be ineffective to the point of useless rather than almost mandatory for a lot of people.

They need to make all of the other optics not horrible before I switch over from HSNV as my default. Huge scopes, hard to see sights, stuff that gets in the way of your vision is what makes all of the other optics bad imo, and that lack of bullshit puts the HSNV at the top even with the nerf.

They need to make all of the other optics not horrible before I switch over from HSNV as my default. Huge scopes, hard to see sights, stuff that gets in the way of your vision is what makes all of the other optics bad imo, and that lack of bullshit puts the HSNV at the top even with the nerf.

Agreed, as long as you dont hold the scope in for longer than 4 seconds they sway doesn't kick in post nerf

Lonestar

Assuming it happens, but VS probably lost Indar. 10 bases held, but that's 12% of territory. All the way up to Howling Pass.

ccStkQ2.jpg

This image was right after that 12%, this picture shows 15% (13 bases). TR at 61%, to give you an idea of how "much" you have to gain, to get cap.

Just downloaded the game and played for an hour. Graphics are great on ultra settings, neon flashy colors and huge backgrounds with moons in the sky are beautiful. The areas are extensive, it sucks when you have no transportation. Gameplay is fine, love the feeling of the guns.

I didn't get how the game progressed. Why are there 3 colors on the map, are there 3 factions fighting each other? There is a timer on the right corner, it reached 0, we won the game yet it still went on and we were still fighting, wtf? Is there a server select menu? I wanted to try out a different map but couldn't. How do you find out how many people are currently playing?

Really looking forward to it on PS4. I really hope this gets a retail release or something with everything unlocked from the get go.

Just downloaded the game and played for an hour. Graphics are great on ultra settings, neon flashy colors and huge backgrounds with moons in the sky are beautiful. The areas are extensive, it sucks when you have no transportation. Gameplay is fine, love the feeling of the guns.

I didn't get how the game progressed. Why are there 3 colors on the map, are there 3 factions fighting each other? There is a timer on the right corner, it reached 0, we won the game yet it still went on and we were still fighting, wtf? Is there a server select menu? I wanted to try out a different map but couldn't. How do you find out how many people are currently playing?

Really looking forward to it on PS4. I really hope this gets a retail release or something with everything unlocked from the get go.

I thought they just added a tutorial in today's patch and it was mandatory for new characters?

Either way, there are currently three "maps." When you first log on you'll be in a room in your faction's warp gate, there's a terminal in the middle that lets you change between the three continents. Each continent can hold about 2000 players at one time (specifically 666 players per faction). Each region on the map is just a territory that can be captured, when you capture a territory you push on to the next.

There are no "rounds" or "matches." You keep fighting and keep pushing.

Burt

The meta aspects of the game are definitely a bit of a chore to sort through for the first couple hours of the game, even with the tutorial. Shit, half the time I join a squad it still isn't on the right continent. Anyway, to address your questions:

The three colors display zone control by the three different factions. You take over a zone by taking control of whatever outpost/structure is in the region through what's essentially a "king of the hill situation"; sit enough people in the base, with control of enough of the sub-control points, and you'll eventually take the facility and it's region. Zone control determines the rate at which you get resources for deploying vehicles and a bunch of other bonuses. You really don't "win" you just move on to the next zone and continue domination of the continent.

The timer in the upper right is generally for alerts, which are big meta objectives for each faction to compete for. Theyre usually things like holding x number of large regions/facilities. If your faction wins you get a huge amount of XP, but the game keeps going on like before.

Server selection happens when you create your character. What you're looking for is continent selection. Each server is made up of three continents, which are accessed through the computer terminal with a globe over it at your faction's warp gate, aka the building you're in when you first log in. If you're far out in the field and want to change continents, just die or go to your map and hit redeploy, then respawn at your warp gate.

No idea how to find out how many people are playing, but if a continent is a full capacity you'll get put into a queue and have to play on an open continent until a spot opens up.

Hope that helps. It's really a great game. Doubt they'll ever release a retail version with everyone unlocked though. Gun prices are kind of high, and the grind/feeling of working to unlock something new is a lot of the incentive for people to play.

I'm done.

Until they fix the constant crashes I just can't take it anymore.

Same settings as pre GU11, crash randomly.

Fresh useroptions.ini file, crash randomly.

Fresh driver install, crash randomly.

With PhysX enabled, crash randomly.

With PhysX disabed, crash randomly.

I'm not going to deal with it. I cannot play the game for any meaningful length of time post GU11. I got other games I can play.

I guess my Auraxium tier membership is just going to set there collecting dust.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm done.

Until they fix the constant crashes I just can't take it anymore.

Same settings as pre GU11, crash randomly.

Fresh useroptions.ini file, crash randomly.

Fresh driver install, crash randomly.

With PhysX enabled, crash randomly.

With PhysX disabed, crash randomly.

I'm not going to deal with it. I cannot play the game for any meaningful length of time post GU11. I got other games I can play.

I guess my Auraxium tier membership is just going to set there collecting dust.

Was it a full on crash or did the game just freeze or did the screen just go blank?

Was it a full on crash or did the game just freeze or did the screen just go blank?

All of the above.

Most common ones recently have been straight up crash to desktop, no error OSD, no "Planetside2.exe has stopped responding". One second it's working fine, next I'm staring at my desktop.

I've had a few that have crashed with the Not responding OSD. Related to PhysX DLL files (this even happens with GPU PhysX is disabled)

I've have a few freeze and I've had to CTRL+ALT+DEL out of it and force quick the task.

MrBig

try going back to driver 314.22, the latest whqls have a lot of isues being reported with them. I've had no change in client stability for months (no crashes). You can also try deleting the physx/apex files related to it to force the game to redownload them in case of something being wrong the validation is not catching

MrBig

Heads up if you care about camo, bundles just went up in the bundles section of the depot to purchase all 41 vehicle, armor, or weapons camos for 2k SC each, 90% discount, 41 camos for the cost of 4. Grabbed armor and vehicle camos myself.

mr_nothin

Banned
The community is going to kill this game. The game is in such a messy state right now (in terms of balance) because of the community. Just looking at different forums....I see people complaining about everything in GU11 and I think the majority of the changes were pretty good. For example, everybody was craving for increased resource costs a few months ago but now it seems like everyone absolutely hates it. You cant get a good grasp on what the community wants when it comes to the PS2 community.

With that said, a major part of SOE's/Higby's problem when it comes to these major updates is the mechanics, of a system and it's subsystems, are broken up across multiple updates that happen over the span of weeks/months. They should really stop adjusting things like resources before they do the complete resource overhaul. All of that should go out at once so we can have a better overview of the complete system with all of the checks & balances in place. They need to just stop releasing things separately and hold them back for a larger, more complete update where they can completely focus on that specific part, of the game, as a whole. I'm in the minority that can see the bigger picture but most cant and just see it as SOE trying to monetize everything...

For example, putting out increased resource costs, by itself, is just a bandaid that doesnt have anything to check or balance it so people will obviously complain. This should have AT LEAST been coupled with the ability to deconstruct your vehicle for a refund. That would have alleviated the negativity surrounding increased resourced. A lot of people understand that you're doing it to help you guage things for a future update but most dont and a lot of them probably dont even know that you're planning a complete resource system overhaul.

Another example, the Lattice System should have been held back until it could have been applied to all continents at once along with continent locking because they work in conjunction. They could have released specialized back hacking, and other things, at the same time to alleviate the "zerg vs zerg funneling" perception that the community has of the lattice system right now.

They way they implement these systems across multiple updates is counterproductive, when it comes to balancing, because we get changes that we wanted AFTER dozens of other changes have already been made. That change that we wanted back then might not apply to what we need now because those dozens of changes could have negated it by now. The game seems really broken mechanically because a lot of half-baked systems are in right now and they wont work completely until we get their counterparts a few weeks/months from now. We cant guage the new mechanics properly because everything isnt implemented so why make adjustments based on community feedback when they dont have the whole picture yet? Making adjustments on that can negatively affect it's upcoming counterpart system.

I know they want to adjust these systems in increments and get them right but what's the point if you're going to release something in 3/4 weeks thats going to majorly affect that "perfectly balanced" system that should be working in conjunction with the new system. Put BOTH of them in and THEN adjust accordingly.

I thought they just added a tutorial in today's patch and it was mandatory for new characters?

Either way, there are currently three "maps." When you first log on you'll be in a room in your faction's warp gate, there's a terminal in the middle that lets you change between the three continents. Each continent can hold about 2000 players at one time (specifically 666 players per faction). Each region on the map is just a territory that can be captured, when you capture a territory you push on to the next.

There are no "rounds" or "matches." You keep fighting and keep pushing.

Yeah I had to go through a tutorial, didn't give much attention to details though I just wanted to hop in and play. Its good that I can go through the tutorial again, but thanks I found the warpgate. ;)

The meta aspects of the game are definitely a bit of a chore to sort through for the first couple hours of the game, even with the tutorial. Shit, half the time I join a squad it still isn't on the right continent. Anyway, to address your questions:

The three colors display zone control by the three different factions. You take over a zone by taking control of whatever outpost/structure is in the region through what's essentially a "king of the hill situation"; sit enough people in the base, with control of enough of the sub-control points, and you'll eventually take the facility and it's region. Zone control determines the rate at which you get resources for deploying vehicles and a bunch of other bonuses. You really don't "win" you just move on to the next zone and continue domination of the continent.

The timer in the upper right is generally for alerts, which are big meta objectives for each faction to compete for. Theyre usually things like holding x number of large regions/facilities. If your faction wins you get a huge amount of XP, but the game keeps going on like before.

Server selection happens when you create your character. What you're looking for is continent selection. Each server is made up of three continents, which are accessed through the computer terminal with a globe over it at your faction's warp gate, aka the building you're in when you first log in. If you're far out in the field and want to change continents, just die or go to your map and hit redeploy, then respawn at your warp gate.

No idea how to find out how many people are playing, but if a continent is a full capacity you'll get put into a queue and have to play on an open continent until a spot opens up.

Hope that helps. It's really a great game. Doubt they'll ever release a retail version with everyone unlocked though. Gun prices are kind of high, and the grind/feeling of working to unlock something new is a lot of the incentive for people to play.

Oh, so the game never ends? What happens if 1 faction completely dominates the others and they have no region to protect anymore in the continent, is that even possible? The server situation was odd to me but thanks for clearing it up. I guess you can't change servers once you made your character since it doesn't work like a traditional shooter.

It seems there is even a day and night cycle in the game, sweet.

elfinke

So after many attempts at actually giving this game a go, the recent MAG remembrance thread spurred me to actually load it up, make an account and give it a go.

Loaded up a combat medic, jumped into the NC team and started running around. Blasted through the tutorial then suddenly I found myself in a live match in a pretty busy area. Certainly it was busy enough that I had to immediately drop settings from Ultra to High with some Medium mixed in (2500k + 6950 2gb) to make it remotely playable.

Nonetheless, I adore the way it looks, even with the settings dropped to more modest levels. I played without sound so no idea what I was missing there, but the game does a decent job of conveying the most basic-yet-important stuff on the HUD.

There seems to be an awful lot actually going on in game, even the overview map has a lot of things vying for your attention. I'll work out what it all means at some other point in time. And that's to say nothing of the character load out screen that just seems to be an endless set of screens and unlockables. I'll have to have a better look at them another time.

Killed a bunch of dudes, ressed and healed a bunch of others and a stack of things happened that apparently meant a lot to some dudes in the chat who had clan names in their name.

Anyway, good first impressions. I'll be back.

try going back to driver 314.22, the latest whqls have a lot of isues being reported with them. I've had no change in client stability for months (no crashes). You can also try deleting the physx/apex files related to it to force the game to redownload them in case of something being wrong the validation is not catching

320.18 is the only driver that doesn't run like complete shit in Metro Last Light, main reason I'm using it.

I finally decided to just uninstall the game and redownload/install it from scratch. Only played for about 5 minutes but it didn't crash.

Will see if I can play longer later

Burt

Oh, so the game never ends? What happens if 1 faction completely dominates the others and they have no region to protect anymore in the continent, is that even possible? The server situation was odd to me but thanks for clearing it up. I guess you can't change servers once you made your character since it doesn't work like a traditional shooter.

It seems there is even a day and night cycle in the game, sweet.

I've never seen it, but you can get "warpgated". I'm not sure if that means you lose all your territory except your warpgate, or you actually somehow lose your warpgate. If it's the latter, I would imagine that you're kicked off the continent for a set period of time. Either way, it's unlikely for a single faction to dominate an entire continent due to equal population caps for each faction, but if it were to happen you could just go fight on the other two continents until your faction gets a strong enough force together to take back some regions.

I've never seen it, but you can get "warpgated". I'm not sure if that means you lose all your territory except your warpgate, or you actually somehow lose your warpgate. If it's the latter, I would imagine that you're kicked off the continent for a set period of time. Either way, it's unlikely for a single faction to dominate an entire continent due to equal population caps for each faction, but if it were to happen you could just go fight on the other two continents until your faction gets a strong enough force together to take back some regions.

The ability to lose your warpgate and be forced off the continent is something that should hopefully be coming in the near future, but as it stands, it mostly just means being stuck in your warpgate and not really able to make a push out.

I agree that the community is really tearing this game apart. There are so many things they are implementing to appease many of the vocal minorities that its beginning to worry me. The only thing that has bothered me in my PS2 playing has been Magriders and the new Max suits for the Vanu. Both of those things can go suck a big one.

mr_nothin

Banned
I agree that the community is really tearing this game apart. There are so many things they are implementing to appease many of the vocal minorities that its beginning to worry me. The only thing that has bothered me in my PS2 playing has been Magriders and the new Max suits for the Vanu. Both of those things can go suck a big one.

Magriders arent nearly as bad as they were before, actually pretty managable once you upgrade deploy a bit and get AP rounds. Took out 2 magriders at the same time with that. Also had reinforce front armor too. AP rounds do a fuckton of damage now when compared to heat rounds. ZOE can suck it though, those things need a timer added on top of the 30% armor reduction. They're freakin maxes and they take out infantry left and right. No reason for them to not have a timer attached to their ability just like every other ability in the game.

mr_nothin

Banned
This MLG stream just confirms why I dont like the community anymore since the game went public. People pretty much hate everything that would make this game better. People just want a huge sandbox with no consequences or direction. It's starting to piss me off and will probably make me stop playing the game eventually.

People want "combined arms" and dont want walls or domeshields but then they complain about spawn room camping. Makes no send to me
People dont even want a Commander Mode in this game....wtf

Every since Miller became recommended server I've had so much more fun. Lots of low BR, that hopefully won't give up to soon because the learning curve is so damn high, make for much bigger battles. I had no idea being a recommended server has such a big influence on player numbers.
This MLG stream just confirms why I dont like the community anymore since the game went public. People pretty much hate everything that would make this game better. People just want a huge sandbox with no consequences or direction. It's starting to piss me off and will probably make me stop playing the game eventually.

People want "combined arms" and dont want walls or domeshields but then they complain about spawn room camping. Makes no send to me
People dont even want a Commander Mode in this game....wtf
Never read any official game forums. They are dominated with people that are constantly whining about one thing or another.

Minion101

Banned
Started playing this game again to test out my extra ram. Runs much better. I played 5 hours straight. I think the game is making more sense now.

The last patch introduced some subtle movement code tweaks so there's a lot less "warping" which makes the perception of performance much better. Turning shadows from high to low is also worth a good 15+ FPS if you're CPU limited. Both go a hell of a long way to making the game feel smoother and more responsive.

Minion101

Banned
I'm enjoying the game enough to actually want to spend some money. No idea where to start. I've only been playing Medic and upgrading the default gun.

Mikey Jr.

I'm enjoying the game enough to actually want to spend some money. No idea where to start. I've only been playing Medic and upgrading the default gun.

I'm medic too. Default gun is a good all around gun. Over the course of a few months, I bought 3 guns. 1 shotgun for close range fighting (towers, biodome), 1 smg for mid range (tech plants, amp), and 1 long range rifle (fighting in fields, etc.)

Here is my tip.

Wait for this weekend. Its July 4th, there will most likely be a 2x or 3x station cash weekend. Buy $20. DON'T spend it. Instead, every day, check the new item of the day deal. You can really stretch that money a long way.

Lonestar

A better (5min) walkthrough of the upcoming battle island...done by Higby. Also, a fireworks gun!
http://www.twitch.tv/las0m/b/425040613

Looks REALLY good. All of Esamir should look like this.

looking at it now, but I assume you mean "trees"?

Saw some in the "BattleDomes on Esamir" vid a couple weeks back, looked good.

Had a decent day today, once we left the attempt on a biodome on amerish that went poorly. Don't pull repair sundy's often, but had one live for a good hour of tough combat, and laughed at how far back my XP ticks were, between Sundy repair, my sundy repairing others, ammo drop xp, and Spawn xp :lol

Minion101

Banned
I'm medic too. Default gun is a good all around gun. Over the course of a few months, I bought 3 guns. 1 shotgun for close range fighting (towers, biodome), 1 smg for mid range (tech plants, amp), and 1 long range rifle (fighting in fields, etc.)

Here is my tip.

Wait for this weekend. Its July 4th, there will most likely be a 2x or 3x station cash weekend. Buy $20. DON'T spend it. Instead, every day, check the new item of the day deal. You can really stretch that money a long way.

Good tip thanks. I would really like a good close range weapon

Good tip thanks. I would really like a good close range weapon

Level up the medic tool, it is pretty much a cert printer lol. Also to maximize your SC, go to walmart and look for SOE Station Cash cards that are $15 with Bonus 500SC (that bonus SC will be doubled/tripled during the 2x/3x station cash sale as well)

Lonestar

Level up the medic tool, it is pretty much a cert printer lol. Also to maximize your SC, go to walmart and look for SOE Station Cash cards that are $15 with Bonus 500SC (that bonus SC will be doubled/tripled during the 2x/3x station cash sale as well)

Yeah, I plan on making a Walmart speed run at lunch today.

The only time in the last 5 years I've gone into Walmart? The 2 times I went in for the SOE Station Cash Cards.

SmoothCB

Anyone played this on the new Lenovo y510p 750m sli laptop yet? Thinking about picking this up and am looking for impressions.

Lonestar

4th_July_FG.png

Oh boy...if it's gonna cost $$$ (or alot of certs) I hope this isn't a temp item. But man oh man, there's going to be a shitload of TRIAL versions of this. Sooo many Fireworks.

mr_nothin

Banned
4th_July_FG.png

Oh boy...if it's gonna cost $$$ (or alot of certs) I hope this isn't a temp item. But man oh man, there's going to be a shitload of TRIAL versions of this. Sooo many Fireworks.

Not a temp item & trialing is expected.
They really should have made it a temporary item and let everyone use it for free on July 4th. Now we have to deal with stupid fireworks guns being spammed until sometime late August.

I'm already bored to tears by the new alert types. Every night I play it's a freaking Biolab or Amp Station alert. Don't get me started on that stupid fireworks gun. I had a bad day today.

Top Bottom