• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Yeah we set up outside of the NC warpgate on Esamir earlier today and had a massive battle with the Goons' air and armor.

Many certs were had from the lancer squads we set up.

Haha nice, that last fight to get Esamir was great tonight, especially Jaegar's Crossing. We initially were set up on the opposite hill with the road between us and the tower. It was terrible, trying to get infantry over to the tower was futile but luckily our allies were able to setup a sundy underneath the bridge south of the tower and using a coordinated max crash, we took the tower. Was such a fun fight, got on a 20 kill streak before I got taken down by a c4. Blueshifts + Zoe 4 life

Roche

Haha nice, that last fight to get Esamir was great tonight, especially Jaegar's Crossing. We initially were set up on the opposite hill with the road between us and the tower. It was terrible, trying to get infantry over to the tower was futile but luckily our allies were able to setup a sundy underneath the bridge south of the tower and using a coordinated max crash, we took the tower. Was such a fun fight, got on a 20 kill streak before I got taken down by a c4. Blueshifts + Zoe 4 life

I'm a pretty big fan of tower fights, I recently bought a shotgun and revive grenades so I fairly rake in the points as a medic. Yeah I was pretty proud of the cont. lock we managed on Esamir.

Since I've been focusing so heavily on certing out literally everything else I haven't gotten a chance to do much with the max class. I've got to look into putting some love into the MAX especially since I've been getting wrecked by NC maxes all day with their shotguns.

I'm a pretty big fan of tower fights, I recently bought a shotgun and revive grenades so I fairly rake in the points as a medic. Yeah I was pretty proud of the cont. lock we managed on Esamir.

Since I've been focusing so heavily on certing out literally everything else I haven't gotten a chance to do much with the max class. I've got to look into putting some love into the MAX especially since I've been getting wrecked by NC maxes all day with their shotguns.
Flak armor is a must, I haven't maxed out anything yet but 4/5 is generally good enough, it'll let you survive c4 and av grenades. 1 lvl of ZOE will get you the movement boost, additional points just increase damage.

Mikey Jr.

Flak armor is a must, I haven't maxed out anything yet but 4/5 is generally good enough, it'll let you survive c4 and av grenades. 1 lvl of ZOE will get you the movement boost, additional points just increase damage.

I've been debating flak or the kinetic. I feel like I get shot more by small arms than I do get blown up.

I've been debating flak or the kinetic. I feel like I get shot more by small arms than I do get blown up.

True it depends on where you're fighting, a place as confined as a tower where rpg spam splash damage, c4 and nades are going off all around I'd say flak is better. More open fights where you can maneuver kinetic works bests since direct hits from rpgs are not affected by flak, only its splash damage is reduced. Regardless, having good engineers around is still key to your survival

Mikey Jr.

I think I got about 4000 certs over the weekend. It was insane.

I had silver membership, a 50% boost, and double xp (plus alert bonuses where applicable). Got about a cert and a half for each revive.

Essentially maxed out my reaver.

Got all 4 levels of scout radar for the flash to help team mates out.

Revive grenades for my medic (which are WAY more useful than frags. Fuck that shit)

I then bought the piston shotgun and extended magazine for it. (which is beastly in close quarters. My God)

Roche

Alert just now was fun we lost but we had some good fights with the NC, we mined the hell out of the bridge on the way into The Crown and blew the crap out of an NC armor column.

Sadly though the TR lost quite a lot of land to the NC throughout the Alert as a result of pushing too hard into the VS territory allowing the NC to win. Double Exp weekend has been incredible, I'm going to miss it :'(.

Mikey Jr.

NC command on Mattherson are so stupid. No wonder NC sucks right now. Our PL's are clueless. Just absolutely fucking clueless.

NC command on Mattherson are so stupid. No wonder NC sucks right now. Our PL's are clueless. Just absolutely fucking clueless.

Yea I think the biggest problem with NC is they have no real well organized outfits willing to lead the faction, kinda wish the 666 Devil Dogs were over here on Mattherson, it'd make for some interesting fights :)

Yea I think the biggest problem with NC is they have no real well organized outfits willing to lead the faction, kinda wish the 666 Devil Dogs were over here on Mattherson, it'd make for some interesting fights :)

I'm a part of the 666, and there's some crazy intense fights on Connery...Wish there weren't due to my rig not being able to handle it lol..

Mikey Jr.

We have "Platoon leaders", but half time I wonder if they even understand strategy or the bigger picture.

1. They just look at the map and see some fucking lone outpost with 0 pop, and send an entire platoon there and just wait for 4 mins while it caps. And they will sit there, for the entire 4 fucking minutes, with 48 people, capping this dead outpost, for 4 minutes.

2. A few hours ago, NC was pounding the vanu warpgate on Indar. I tell the PL "Hey, TR are taking our warpgate and we have very little territory left. We should stop fucking with Vanu (who don't even have the continent) and stop the TR because if they take Indar, they will keep it. So PL, being the idiot that he is, tells everyone to spawn back at Peris Amp (Literally 2 hexes away from Vanu warpgate) and to pull armor and to go up north and take vanu archives (TR owned).
So, not only do we not deal with the TR problem at out warpgate by taking some shit out in the boonies that we have absolutely no hope of controlling, we are now attacking in such a way that the Vanu will attack our southern flank, while the TR attack from the North. So not only did we not take archives, we lost an entire tank platoon. Also, in the meantime, TR at out warpgate went completely unopposed.

Plus other stupid shit that makes my blood boil.

Like, they see "free certs a-hyuck!" and just get completely schooled by other faction PL's with with more than half a brain. I mean, look at the alerts FFS. NC is lucky to finish with 15%. One time we finished with 9% and 33% pop. I was fucking embarrassed to be part of NC during that alert.

My God, if I could transfer out of Mattherson, I would in a heartbeat. I cannot take this garbage leadership.

Roche

2. A few hours ago, NC was pounding the vanu warpgate on Indar. I tell the PL "Hey, TR are taking our warpgate and we have very little territory left. We should stop fucking with Vanu (who don't even have the continent) and stop the TR because if they take Indar, they will keep it. So PL, being the idiot that he is, tells everyone to spawn back at Peris Amp (Literally 2 hexes away from Vanu warpgate) and to pull armor and to go up north and take vanu archives (TR owned).
So, not only do we not deal with the TR problem at out warpgate by taking some shit out in the boonies that we have absolutely no hope of controlling, we are now attacking in such a way that the Vanu will attack our southern flank, while the TR attack from the North. So not only did we not take archives, we lost an entire tank platoon. Also, in the meantime, TR at out warpgate went completely unopposed.

Yeah I've seen the NC do stuff like this more than once, I wondered if it was somehow intentional (meta-gaming on Mattherson can do that) or if it was just the product of bad decision making.

It's usually most obvious during alerts when the NC attempts to take as much territory as possible as quickly as possible without worrying holding onto the important territories. This usually results in an early lead which is lost to the TR or VS as the alert goes on. Most of the time NC wins are caused by the TR or the VS fighting to a standstill.

I'm by no means fantastic at Planetside strategy but it's pretty clear the NC are the weakest on Mattherson. Maybe you could contact support and ask for a transfer.

I've mentioned it before on the official forums, but yeah, NC has a dearth of leadership on Mattherson. Orders chat is silent 99% of the time.

edit - I assume if they do open transfers it'll be high pop factions to servers were they have lower pop, so I'd imagine only VS would be able to transfer off Mattherson since they regularly pull 36-38% server pop and like every other server VS is low pop.

Spazznid

For anyone interested, I overclocked my CPU to 4.5Ghz and just got a GTX 780 SC and overclocked that to 1169 MHZ and I get 60+ Fps at 1080p and about 60 Fps at 1620p even in large battles with PhysX.

For those of you thinking about upgrading your GPU's.

Arksy

Had an awesome "FEELING THE HEAT" alert today.

We (Briggs Vanu, the AU server) started off with 17% of the territory and won the alert with 42% captured. We steamrolled over the TR until we hit Benson where they staged a pretty good fightback. To celebrate we all hopped in galaxies and crashed into the TR warpgate.

There were over 100 galaxies flying into the warpgate, was awesome. I'll see if I can find a good video of it.

Mikey Jr.

Heard you guys had like 70% pop.

Cool that you guys capped it, but having a massive pop and capping 3am in the morning isn't too special.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Heard you guys had like 70% pop.

Cool that you guys capped it, but having a massive pop and capping 3am in the morning isn't too special.

Usual excuses. It's not like we just started at 3 am. NC and TR somehow gave up 70-80% of the continent between 8 pm and midnight CST. Came back from the Amerish alert, and helped kick tr out of rashnu.

We might have started at 70% pop, but the extended portion of the fight was mostly at a 50-25-25 split, with the vs having a little less than half hold the NC in on the 3 bases outside the gate, while the rest slogged through camp waterson, for what felt like hours. That last step wasn't a cake walk like you guys think it was.

Very late, but I finally put some time into this game some 4-5 months after initially downloading it.

I created 3 characters, 1 for each faction, but accidentally invested the most amount of time (and eventually money) into my NC guy.

mr_nothin

Banned
Very late, but I finally put some time into this game some 4-5 months after initially downloading it.

I created 3 characters, 1 for each faction, but accidentally invested the most amount of time (and eventually money) into my NC guy.

4th factioner from the beginning...
Bet they're all on the same server too huh?!

Someone who has characters for all factions, but plays whatever faction has the highest pop or best weapons.

That's terrible.

I've invested time and a bit of money into my NC guy, so there's no reason for me to switch over to the Vanu or TR.

I finally have enough cert points to get a new weapon, but I still haven't settled on a class yet.

Arksy

That's terrible.

I've invested time and a bit of money into my NC guy, so there's no reason for me to switch over to the Vanu or TR.

I finally have enough cert points to get a new weapon, but I still haven't settled on a class yet.

The NC default weapons are really damn good. All of them.

Depending on your play style, you might want to go for a new rocket launcher, if you play air a lot you might want to go for rocket pods for your Reaver.

Aside from that you might want to get the super OP Sniper Rifle (not sure the name off the top of my head, it's the super long range one)

If you've got 1k certs do get a weapon to add some versatility.

However, I must stress the importance of getting scopes and upgrades for the weapons you have. If you aim down sights a lot, I would recommend getting a night vision scope and a forward grip for your most common weapons.

If you like hip fire and close quarters I'd recommend a laser sight and a night vision scope.

Spend a lot of time in the VR training so you can get a feel for the weapons. When you find something you like, trial it out first instead of buying it right away. The VR training is good, but when you throw in lag + moving targets everything changes. Slugs for Scattermax? Godmode in VR training, out in the field? Too much recoil, too much COF. They have more than double the effective range in VR than regular pellets, but out in the field they're maybe an extra 5m.

Arksy

Spend a lot of time in the VR training so you can get a feel for the weapons. When you find something you like, trial it out first instead of buying it right away. The VR training is good, but when you throw in lag + moving targets everything changes. Slugs for Scattermax? Godmode in VR training, out in the field? Too much recoil, too much COF. They have more than double the effective range in VR than regular pellets, but out in the field they're maybe an extra 5m.

Great advice.

What's the consensus on the new MAX weapons for NC?

Great advice.

What's the consensus on the new MAX weapons for NC?

I see a lot of people using Ravens. Mattocks tend to be pretty good on the AI side since they do have slightly better range, but the regular ScatterCannons are fine in most situations. I will say, if you do pick up an AI weapon you need to pick up Extended Mags. After the GU8 nerfs NC MAXes cannot win 1v1 against a VS or TR MAX without Extended Mags.

On a different note, apparently GotR and TE will be going back to Planetside 1 for a day At 7pm cst. All previous PS1 subscribers got set up with 6 months subscription (presumably long enough for SOE to convert the game to F2P). I'll probably hop in for funsies.

Mikey Jr.

Glad its coming to consoles.

Also, PS4 and PC players cant play against each other which I have absolutely no problem with.

What I hope though is that accounts are shared across both systems.

So if I log into my PS4 account, I can continue leveling up my PC character and vice versa. That would be nice.

MrBig

Glad its coming to consoles.

Also, PS4 and PC players cant play against each other which I have absolutely no problem with.

What I hope though is that accounts are shared across both systems.

So if I log into my PS4 account, I can continue leveling up my PC character and vice versa. That would be nice.

Will more likely just be like the different servers are now, SC items shared but separate chars for each server

Will more likely just be like the different servers are now, SC items shared but separate chars for each server

If its same accounts but different characters, I hope SC purchased stuff stays across the account, that could be enough for me to start a ps4 character

GodofWine

PS2 noob here...wanted to check it out after the ps4 announcement, now I'm getting hooked.

is there a way to toggle squad chat, so that I can turn it on without holding V?? I haven't used kbm in a decade and my fingers are not yet up to the task of all these buttons!!

Mikey Jr.

PS2 noob here...wanted to check it out after the ps4 announcement, now I'm getting hooked.

is there a way to toggle squad chat, so that I can turn it on without holding V?? I haven't used kbm in a decade and my fingers are not yet up to the task of all these buttons!!

Please dont toggle squad chat. These are always the worst people, because they forget to turn it off, and then everyones audio gets extremely quiet because someone is "talking".

BWAHAHAHAAH. NC actually won an alert on Mattherson! During primetime! At full population! On Indar! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably not going to happen very often, gotta savor it. Though, I think TR had basically warpgated VS on their own, and since NC have the top Warp Gate we were able to grab the north part of the map and avoid losing too much territory in the final 30 minutes.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
BWAHAHAHAAH. NC actually won an alert on Mattherson! During primetime! At full population! On Indar! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably not going to happen very often, gotta savor it. Though, I think TR had basically warpgated VS on their own, and since NC have the top Warp Gate we were able to grab the north part of the map and avoid losing too much territory in the final 30 minutes.

NC's at the top warp gate this rotation, right? Easy to gain territory. Though, maybe not as easy now with Lattice.

NC's at the top warp gate this rotation, right? Easy to gain territory. Though, maybe not as easy now with Lattice.

Well, the big thing was that TR had VS pretty much warpgated with about 30 minutes left. TR had the whole bottom half of the map and NC had the whole top half. Territory control was like 47-47-6. So any territory that VS was going to take was going to come out of TR's share. VS eventually made a push up a single lattice lane north into NC territory, but ultimately TR had to split more of their troops between both factions while NC could focus more on keeping TR out. Its probably a situation that'll never happen again.

I love these new alert types. Yesterday evening we were jumping from Indar to Amerish and back to Indar again to secure Biolabs. Lots of fun was had.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, I was there and I was NC. There was some decent co-operation between TR and NC to recap indar from the VS. We started to run into trouble when the only way TR was going to cap VS was by taking Biolab near their warpgate. The problem was that NC literally had nowhere to go....except for that Biolab. So it was going to be a massive 3-way which was going to go nowhere obviously. Taking the Biolab by itself is tough. Taking a Biolab while fighting 2 factions is almost impossible.

So my platoon just said fuck it, and started taking territory in the west from the TR.

It was just fucking amazing fun all around.

GodofWine

Please dont toggle squad chat. These are always the worst people, because they forget to turn it off, and then everyones audio gets extremely quiet because someone is "talking".

Really just wanted to leave it open for a friends only squad chat since that's what we are used to on consoles...guess we'll look into other chat services

Didn't know the voip would suffer due to open channels.

I need 7 fingers.

Really just wanted to leave it open for a friends only squad chat since that's what we are used to on consoles...guess we'll look into other chat services

Didn't know the voip would suffer due to open channels.

I need 7 fingers.

Heh you need a mouse with front/back buttons taht you can bind as chat buttons ;)

Top Bottom