• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

It's kinda funny how the console is near dead silent when playing unpatched PS4 games. If there was a way to force it to always play games like it's an OG PS4, without any pro enhancements, then I think some people would finally have the silent console they want :p

Toki767

It's kinda funny how the console is near dead silent when playing unpatched PS4 games. If there was a way to force it to always play games like it's an OG PS4, without any pro enhancements, then I think some people would finally have the silent console they want :p

It better be quiet when playing unpatched games considering half the GPU isn't being used lol

Anyone trade their ps4 in without a deal? Really thinking of getting a pro when ffxv comes out. Was seeing what kind of $$ you all got for trading in a ps4. I also have an extra controller if that's worth it.
Amazon will give you $192 for a complete system and 2 controllers. Walmart online trade-in will give you $179 for a complete system with 1 controller. Was just looking around myself, and I'm going the Walmart route. They pay you via Walmart e-gift card if that matters though. Missed out on that eBay antonline deal for effectively $365 without tax. So, I'm going the Target route with the 10% wishlist coupon.

I just tried VR out for the first time since getting the Pro, things looked a bit better. There was one odd thing that happened, the jellyfish's animation in Ocean Descent was all messed up. Going to try it again tomorrow and see if it was a one time thing, or if its actually bugged. Not a huge deal, just thought it was odd.

M.W.

Any chance of a screen? Assuming they match what you're seeing on the tv of course.

Is it black crush or washed out. One of your earlier posts has me now confused lol

Honestly a bit of both...it is crushed but when I compare it to non HDR it seems washed out. It's weird.

ViciousDS

Banned
Any chance of a screen? Assuming they match what you're seeing on the tv of course.

Is it black crush or washed out. One of your earlier posts has me now confused lol

Watching Netflix while going to sleep. I'll take some picks tomorrow. I'll actually just do all 3 on the Xbox versions to show what I mean. I'm actually downloading second son as we speak to see if my settings are all good there lol

DBT85

Honestly a bit of both...it is crushed but when I compare it to non HDR it seems washed out. It's weird.

Ahh ok, as with Vicious, any chance of a screenshot? Again assuming the screenshots match what you see on the TV.

Watching Netflix while going to sleep. I'll take some picks tomorrow. I'll actually just do all 3 on the Xbox versions to show what I mean

Cool thanks, is it the same with all HDR games on the Pro or just NBA?

ViciousDS

Banned
Ahh ok, as with Vicious, any chance of a screenshot? Again assuming the screenshots match what you see on the TV.

Cool thanks, is it the same with all HDR games on the Pro or just NBA?

Couldn't tell you as NBA is my only HDR game......outside of infamous SS now on the Pro. However NBA was the only HDR game I had issues with on the Xbox. It's just bad implementation. It's the only game with no internal HDR slider

breakfuss

There was a little list going around.

Can't remember all.

Infamous
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted 4
Deux Ex
NBA
TLOUR

What sucks about HDR in NBA?

lots of black crush?

Ahhhhh that explains why I couldn't find a toggle for it in Infinite Warfare lol.

Wow, Tomb Raider is gorgeous in 4K and performs pretty well. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be HDR support but otherwise beautiful.

So.......what games support HDR currently?

Infamous, Deus ex and NBA?

Which btw NBA sucks.....2k has absolutely no idea what they are doing with the tech. No slider or anything.

Looks outstanding on my TV, beautiful colors, crisp clean image the textures on the skin and embossed lettering on the jerseys are awesome in 4K HDR.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Infamous is a shitshow on my X850D.

The first level in the guttery with Hank was a mess of pitch black areas and dim lights, and the cutscenes are even worse. Characters silhouettes just blend in with the near black backgrounds.

There certainly is no "pop" anywhere. Just harshly saturated colours and darkness.

DBT85

We need screenshots guys. At least then people with the same issue can see that its the same issue !

The only HDR games I have are R&C and TLOUR so that's all I'm going to be able to test.

Harp

The first level in the guttery with Hank was a mess of pitch black areas and dim lights, and the cutscenes are even worse. Characters silhouettes just blend in with the near black backgrounds.

There certainly is no "pop" anywhere. Just harshly saturated colours and darkness.

No problems on my 850c. Game looks great. In hdr, played on both the pro and of ps4 when patch launched. HDr mode is darker then non HDr but just up the brightness slider a bit

Harp

Yeah NBA looks awesome here also.Hdr looks great.
I will add a third vote to that . Nba 2k looks great on Sony 850c. Even better on pro in 4k. When trying the HDr on the og ps4 I was going back and forth between if I like the HDr mode over non HDr. The non HDr was brighter and more colorfuk. But now not playing in hdr makes the game look over saturated to me. The combo of 4k and HDr added a lot of little details.

Harp

Lol IW makes the console loud as fuck man. Again, not a deal breaker but if anyone was hoping this version remedied the noise it does not. To be fair only IW and TLOU have reached this level of noise.

How do you guys play your games with the sound off and the system right next to you? My system is under the tv and I have full surround sound. How do you guys play cod with all the explosions and still hear the system?

Withnail

Infamous First Light looked rough for me in HDR until I turned the in game brightness all the way up following a tip from someone on here. Then there was still a bit of black crush but it was acceptable. I ended up enjoying the visuals so much I played through the whole game despite not really being a fan of the series. The neon effects looked especially good at night time.

There is definitely something off with the brightness compared to other HDR games I've tried though.

joelthecomic

Neo Member
Tried a bit of Infamous:SS on my KS8000. Agreed that the HDR and/or pro patch makes things look weird. Some areas are really dark, then you swing the camera around and all of a sudden they brighten up magically. Thought his could be an issue with "Dynamic Contrast" setting on the set, but that didn't fix it. And no gamma correction on the game menu itself.

Rise of the Tomb Raider had that setting and it helped immensely (ROTTR is NOT an HDR game though).

panty

Is anyone else thrown off by the HDR in Second Son ?

It's suppose to enhance details and brighten up areas, right?

Either the hdr or the lighting in this game is fucked because its crushed and darkened as hell.

Yeah, I gave up on trying to make Infamous look good on my TV, lol
Same. Mind you I don't have my Pro yet but tried Infamous and First Light and it's so damn dark, blacks are totally crushed. It's not my TV.

No problems on my 850c. Game looks great. In hdr, played on both the pro and of ps4 when patch launched. HDr mode is darker then non HDr but just up the brightness slider a bit

Hell no. My set is calibrated and it's the games fault. I ain't touching my otherwise great settings because of a broken game and neither should anyone else.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Same. Mind you I don't have my Pro yet but tried Infamous and First Light and it's so damn dark, blacks are totally crushed. It's not my TV.

Hell no. My set is calibrated and it's the games fault. I ain't touching my otherwise great settings because of a broken game and neither should anyone else.

What? The game isn't broken. HDR looks great. Adjust the in game brightness.

DieH@rd

Banned
halp guys

I just bought an 65" HDR1000 4k TV but I have no plans on getting a PS4 Pro in the next few months. Will I even notice any form of difference in terms of graphical quality in games (like FFXV) compared to the 40" Sony 1080p Bravia I had before?

Relax. All will be well.

If you are using the base PS4 on a 4K screen, your PS4 will normally output 1080p video feed out of it, and TV will do the automatic upscaling [dumb stretching] to 4K. You have nothing to worry about, everything will work fine. The only issue can be that TV itself has a bad scaler. Sony TVs [and consoles] have great scalers.

If the TV supports HDR, then you'll get access to those visuals as well using base PS4.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
For me the loudest part of the Pro setup is the stupid PS VR box in "idle" mode.. Doesn't sound idle at all

DieH@rd

Banned
How is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PS4 for someone who has never played it before? Wish that would get a Pro patch but I'm sure it's too old and won't be considered.

TRDE runs at 1080p60 on base ps4 [with small dips here and there]. Really enjoyable experience [if you ignore poor charachters].

Game did not get patch for Pro.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
For HDR titles I would recommend checking if your TV uses seperate settings and manually turning off the different image processing stuff for a better result. On my TV the HDR profiles are separate and unfortunately there's no 'game' setting. I got much better results manually turning off the various processing features in the HDR mode like a 'game' mode would usually do for you. Hopefully in the future TV makers introduce HDR game modes to their sets.

Grinchy

Banned
Åesop;224392638 said:
For me the loudest part of the Pro setup is the stupid PS VR box in "idle" mode.. Doesn't sound idle at all

If the light is white, somethin ain't right.

There's a well-known issue where the box doesn't power down. What seems to help is shutting the PS4 down completely instead of using standby. Standby also causes all sorts of issues for VR in general.

Moreche

I have and issue with TLOUs lighting.
It's hard to explain but it's as if the lighting in the game is stalling when moving around.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
If the light is white, somethin ain't right.

There's a well-known issue where the box doesn't power down. What seems to help is shutting the PS4 down completely instead of using standby. Standby also causes all sorts of issues for VR in general.

Is the light supposed to be white, when im only playing on the Pro with the VR Box as a passthrough?

panty

For HDR titles I would recommend checking if your TV uses seperate settings and manually turning off the different image processing stuff for a better result. On my TV the HDR profiles are separate and unfortunately there's no 'game' setting. I got much better results manually turning off the various processing features in the HDR mode like a 'game' mode would usually do for you. Hopefully in the future TV makers introduce HDR game modes to their sets.
True. I have a Philips 65PUS7601 and it has a different HDR Game mode. If you have a new HDR capable tv you should check the settings because as you said the HDR settings are different than the SDR.

Grinchy

Banned
Åesop;224395575 said:
Is the light supposed to be white, when im only playing on the Pro with the VR Box as a passthrough?

Yeah when it's turned on it should be white. But when it's off or in standby, the light on the box should be red.

I love my Pro so much. I want to replay every game that is patched!

Same here, its reinvigorated my interest in current gen gaming (or maybe its just because I picked up a few good games alongside the console?) Either way - I've been loving Ratchet and Clank, and CoD Modern Warfare and I've still got Tomb Raider, Infinite Warfare and Skyrim to play (along with whatever other older games were patched that I have).

ViciousDS

Banned
Looks outstanding on my TV, beautiful colors, crisp clean image the textures on the skin and embossed lettering on the jerseys are awesome in 4K HDR.

Yeah NBA looks awesome here also.Hdr looks great.

I will add a third vote to that . Nba 2k looks great on Sony 850c. Even better on pro in 4k. When trying the HDr on the og ps4 I was going back and forth between if I like the HDr mode over non HDr. The non HDr was brighter and more colorfuk. But now not playing in hdr makes the game look over saturated to me. The combo of 4k and HDr added a lot of little details.

Weird......to me NBA in HDR mode is just too bright.....I mean it literally looks like someone just cranked the brightness all the way up and it looks washed out. Every other game is fine.....hell even infamous when I fired HDR up just real quick last night to test looks fucking amazing outside some extreme dark areas. In infamous you could easily see the difference with the on and off toggle and it was clear with HDR off it didn't look as good.

DBT85

Weird......to me NBA in HDR mode is just too bright.....I mean it literally looks like someone just cranked the brightness all the way up and it looks washed out. Every other game is fine.....hell even infamous when I fired HDR up just real quick last night to test looks fucking amazing outside some extreme dark areas. In infamous you could easily see the difference with the on and off toggle and it was clear with HDR off it didn't look as good.

There's a post up t here somewhere saying to just change the in game brightness to fix it. I'm guessing you were looking for an HDR slider?

I love my Pro so much. I want to replay every game that is patched!

Exactly how I feel!

Now I want to replay TLOU, Uncharted 4, Shadow of Mordor, inFamous Second Son and Rise of the Tomb Raider(played it on PC at launch)

I wish I have time! So many new games coming out this month and next month!

January is the best time to replay them before Horizon Zero Dawn and For Honor.

I hope South Park doesn't come out in January

Necro900

Wow, Tomb Raider is gorgeous in 4K and performs pretty well. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be HDR support but otherwise beautiful.

Damn, really? I thought it had it.

So many games right now don't implement HDR. I thought it was a more straightforward change to implement compared to, say, 4K checkerboard.

Still haven't heard anything about Skyrim, but I guess that's a non HDR game too, then.

EDIT: Do we know if non hdr games at least output 10 bit colour? Colour and luminosity should be two separate things, right?

ViciousDS

Banned
There's a post up t here somewhere saying to just change the in game brightness to fix it. I'm guessing you were looking for an HDR slider?

infamous actually didn't an in game slider lol, it seemed to work perfectly with my current settings.

NBA though.....I don't even remember seeing a brightness slider....weird. I'll have to check when I get home from work.

Infamous is the game that prob shows what HDR can do most that i have seen yet. Its not about making colors pop etc, it never was. It's about accurate colours and shadows and highlight detail.

Infamous has a ton of lighting effects. It also has a lot of contrasting areas of light and dark. The reason some areas seem really dark is because they were meant to be but SDR cant display it without crushing all the detail so it gets brightened up a lot.

A good place i found to display it is in a tunnel (under a bridge). Its really dark in the tunnel and you can see bright light at the end. With HDR i have game brightness on max. Its very dark in that tunnel but you can still make out all the details (assuming the tv is set up correctly with no processing bs on). Switch HDR off and brightness to 3 and you will now see why everything looks darker in HDR. In SDR everything that is meant to be black is now a lighter gray colour. SDR can still display black (just look at the power bar in the bottom left) just not all the levels of black needed to not crush everything.

Essentially, when in SDR everything is lighter than it should be because it cant display the levels of colour and shadow it needs to. With HDR on it can and allows you to now experience truly dark areas rather than dark grey areas like you had before.

So yes infamous can be really dark at times but if you are seeing crushed blacks you have a setting on the tv causing it. For me i was pretty impressed with how much detail and how much closer to reality dark areas now looked rather than washed out dark grey like in SDR.

People seem to think HDR is about super saturated colours when its not that at all. Remember people, its about accurate, more realistic colours.

Top Bottom