• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

bakedpony

Works on your phone too.

PSTV probably still limited to 720p.

That's what I expect as well. Would be nice if somebody can try if it is still limited to 720p.

Finding a PRO here (Manila) is currently impossible with the limited stocks that are all sold out. Hoping to get one later this week!

xinek

Hi, can someone confirm my assumptions about the HDMI cable to use with this console? I have a 1080p tv but want to upgrade to 4k/HDR sometime in the next 2 years.

I am running an HDMI cable through the wall from the tv to my A/V receiver right now over a distance of about 10 feet. This was installed last year, so the cable is pretty new. I don't know what HDMI version it is, though.

Is this ok for now? My understanding is it almost definitely won't be ok for 4K/HDR when I upgrade the tv. We didn't use conduit in the walls when running the cable, and I'm already regretting it. The wires go around a tough corner, and I don't think I'll be able to fish anything new through. Debating whether to tear out the drywall and install conduit or just use a wire raceway thing. Ugh.

DBT85

Hi, can someone confirm my assumptions about the HDMI cable to use with this console? I have a 1080p tv but want to upgrade to 4k/HDR sometime in the next 2 years.

I am running an HDMI cable through the wall from the tv to my A/V receiver right now over a distance of about 10 feet. This was installed last year, so the cable is pretty new. I don't know what HDMI version it is, though.

Is this ok for now? My understanding is it almost definitely won't be ok for 4K/HDR when I upgrade the tv. We didn't use conduit in the walls when running the cable, and I'm already regretting it. The wires go around a tough corner, and I don't think I'll be able to fish anything new through. Debating whether to tear out the drywall and install conduit or just use a wire raceway thing. Ugh.

I'll be fine for now and might even be ok for 4k. Without knowing the cable there's little to do but guess.

dedhead54

I finished it last year when it came out but I'm tempted to pick up the PS4 version and play it through again.

I want to double dip on this game for sure. It will be my first double dip of this generation. I had a blast with the XB1 version and can't wait to see it on the Pro.

breakfuss

How do you guys play your games with the sound off and the system right next to you? My system is under the tv and I have full surround sound. How do you guys play cod with all the explosions and still hear the system?

No, I don't play with it right next to me and for the most part it isn't too distracting. I notice it most when I'm navigating a menu or have the game paused. Even with a title like CoD there are moments of calm like a dialogue-heavy cutscene and that's when my all-new PSVacuum makes its presence very known. Like I've said before it's not a deal-breaker for me it's just odd considering I've never owned a line of consoles that made this amount of noise. I hope this trend doesn't continue.

Coxy100

Banned
Can anyone help....

I only have a 1080p display.

If I buy a Pro will I see any visual improvements if I use a HDMI splitter?

Does the HDMI cable have to be directly in the monitor? I read on Sony's site it does to take advantage of 4k obviously.... but how about 1080?

DBT85

Can anyone help....

I only have a 1080p display.

If I buy a Pro will I see any visual improvements if I use a HDMI splitter?

Does the HDMI cable have to be directly in the monitor? I read on Sony's site it does to take advantage of 4k obviously.... but how about 1080?

Splitter will work just fine.

mrback

Tomb Raider is constantly blowing my mind how good it looks on pro.

I'm with you there, truly stunning. I think I have killed the 4k mode though. I have been playing with the high framerate setting & going back to 4k30fps is really jarring. Do love that high framerate setting though.

Aceofspades

Banned
I was blown away at how small the PRO actually is, some serious engineering mastery is done with it.
Also love the big reflective Playstation logo.

Some games regardless of there being a disc or not , would get my old PS4 fan going crazy! Now with my Pro those same games, the system don't make a whisper.

Pretty cool.

Is Netflix broken for anyone else? Whenever I start it the screen just goes black.
Possibly an HDCP issue.

Tons of people having issues with it.

You can try booting into safe mode, the last option is HDCP, change it from Auto to 1.4

Helps some people. This happens a lot in PSVR making some games unplayable.

GazzaGSi

Afew pics from IW, put in quote tags so they're not huge to display.
Probably compressed to shit but is there any sites which don't?
The clarity when playing is awesome, well impressed with the Pro so far and IW looks exceptional.

Edited: pics deleted, didn't turn out too good.

Tomb Raider is constantly blowing my mind how good it looks on pro.

I'm still so split on high framerate vs 4k. In the intro sequence it looked like a huge difference with 4k but in the rest of the game I think high framerate is better... I wonder if they could've implemented a dynamic scaler on the high framerate mode with checkerboard rendering (similar to infinite warfare) and have it dynamically scale from 4k down to 1440p (or even 1080).

Afew pics from IW, put in quote tags so they're not huge to display.
Probably compressed to shit but is there any sites which don't?
The clarity when playing is awesome, well impressed with the Pro so far and IW looks exceptional.

Switch to 1080p screenshots on your PS4, these don't look great.

I have absolutely no idea why but for some reason Overwatch looks and plays much better on the Pro even though it doesn't have a Pro patch! Maybe it's just my imagination.

Yopis

I'm still so split on high framerate vs 4k. In the intro sequence it looked like a huge difference with 4k but in the rest of the game I think high framerate is better... I wonder if they could've implemented a dynamic scaler on the high framerate mode with checkerboard rendering (similar to infinite warfare) and have it dynamically scale from 4k down to 1440p (or even 1080).

No question the 4k mode looks alot better. So much cleaner. Not even close for me. At any point in game it looks alot better.

dealer-

I have absolutely no idea why but for some reason Overwatch looks and plays much better on the Pro even though it doesn't have a Pro patch! Maybe it's just my imagination.

I think it is, I've been switching back and forth between the two this weekend and can't see any difference.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Switch to 1080p screenshots on your PS4, these don't look great.
Why? I'm pretty sure that if you set the console to take 3840x2160 screenshots, it will lower the resolution to the game's native output if it isn't actually 4K. I took some Driveclub photos with the higher resolution setting and they automatically saved at 1920x1080.

d9b

Banned
No question the 4k mode looks alot better. So much cleaner. Not even close for me. At any point in game it looks alot better.

I agree. I settled for 4k/30 and it looks amazing and plays great. I'll probably go 1080p/60 for my second playtrough.

Aceofspades

Banned
I have 1080p set, does TLoU run at 4k mode then downsamples, I don't remember prompted to change any settings.

Edit: is my eyes playing tricks on me, or that Netflix actually looks miles better on the PRO?

f@luS

More than a member.
Possibly an HDCP issue.

Tons of people having issues with it.

You can try booting into safe mode, the last option is HDCP, change it from Auto to 1.4

Helps some people. This happens a lot in PSVR making some games unplayable.
Doesn't Netflix need hdcp 2.2 to work though ?

Shin-Ra

I have 1080p set, does TLoU run at 4k mode then downsamples, I don't remember prompted to change any settings.
The Last of Us defaults to the uncapped/60fps setting which'll give you 1800p downsampled. Switch to 30fps in the options and you'll get 2160p downsampled.

BigEmil

Would be nice for Pro support by the awesome Housemarque
images

resogun0924131280jpg-e94d44_1280w.jpg

alienation-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-10nov15.jpg
And the upcoming Matterfall

Anyone else notice a visual downgrade in The Division? Whenever I'm in a base / social space textures aren't loading in fully or generally look low res. I don't think it was on the list of games getting a patch, and I haven't played it in months, so not sure if this is an old problem or a Pro related issue.

Dave_6

Anyone else notice a visual downgrade in The Division? Whenever I'm in a base / social space textures aren't loading in fully or generally look low res. I don't think it was on the list of games getting a patch, and I haven't played it in months, so not sure if this is an old problem or a Pro related issue.

I haven't played it since May but I think that was an old problem. I remember seeing that happen a lot.

Mullah88

I haven't played it since May but I think that was an old problem. I remember seeing that happen a lot.

old problem (hence the slow walk in to the BoO0 but having an sshd or ssd helps with loading the assets a lot faster.

question did i set this up properly? i gave my nephew my og ps4 and left that console as the primary device. will that be a problem for me and the pro? when i had both consoles together, enabling the pro as the primary console meant he couldnt play my downloaded or plus games on his account. but making the og the primary console, he signs me out of psn (on pro) when he boots up the console and from there he can switch to his account and booth up any game, and i can log back into my account on the pro without him getting kicked off the game. so i'm not really sure if thats the way to leave it

Chaplain

Has anyone had the Pro not displaying a signal upon bootup? Either with the TV off or on? This has happened about six or more times since my wife and I got the system. The system turns on and our TV says no signal. Unplugging the power cable, plugging it back in and then turning the system on fixes this issue. I don't think its a crash because the system doesn't check the harddrive once the systems displays a signal.

Shin-Ra

With software optimisation (and later PS3 SDKs freeing up more resources to game developers) Housemarque were able to greatly improve Super Stardust HD's image quality.

1080p mode: 1280x1080 to 1920x1080 upgrade
720p mode: 1280x720 2xMSAA to 1280x720 4xMSAA
Split-screen upgraded from 30fps to 60fps

Added Stereoscopic 3D 1280x720 effectively 120fps

Polaris additions to the PS4 Pro GPU like the 'primitive discard accelerator' may be especially beneficial for games like Resogun with shit-tonnes of tiny geometric cubes that wrap around the pillar into the distance.

Has anyone had the Pro not displaying a signal upon bootup? Either with the TV off or on? This has happened about six or more times since my wife and I got the system. The system turns on and our TV says no signal. Unplugging the power cable, plugging it back in and then turning the system on fixes this issue. I don't think its a crash because the system doesn't check the harddrive once the systems displays a signal.
Try a different cable/HDMI port.

Yes. I believe this is a major issue with 4K right now. The industry sold a lot of products not compatible with current (future) industry standards. A lot of TVs will have HDCP handshake issue.

Do you hear audio but have no picture? A change in the content or menu will fix this. It's why unplugging and replugging works.

Change automatic login, so that when you press X on your controller, it logs in to your account instead of console power up going straight to the main menu. When you do that, the console decides to redo the handshake. I'm not sure if this is the solution for your problem, but it's a solution to mine. I own a Vizio btw.

Top Bottom