• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

DBT85

I preordered one on Amazon when they went up. A few weeks ago I tried to cancel via their website but it continually gave me an error. I chatted with a customer service agent who canceled the order. But I got a shipping notification the other day as well as the charge on my credit card. I emailed them and they had records of the chat, apologized, refunded my credit card and told me to keep the Pro. So, score!

Looking forward to trying out another playthrough of The Last of Us and continuing on Hitman. Was Rocket League ever announced to have a pro patch?

Wow. Generous even for Amazon!

So do all future games need to support the Pro in some way? Or are some games still going to release without any Pro enhancements whatsoever? Mainly wondering with regards to Persona 5.

They'll all have something. What it might be will vary. But they'll all use it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Quick question about your pics, did you capture them in PNG 4K format on the PS4 then downsampled them through the host when uploading? I added afew to the thread earlier and looked poor when full size. Thanks

I have my PS4 set to take the pics in 1080p PNG. No point in taking huge pics then separately trying to downsample them. These pics get the point across even if they're not the native resolution I'm running the game at.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is that on the 30fps mode or 60fps? Or both?
It's weird because high fps (which looks dreadful) still suffers from some very distracting stutter (idk if it's framepacing, but it feels like that) and 30 fps mode is just plain baaaaad. That same stutter, but nothing to offset it.

Add in the game's obnoxious auto-center camera and it just feel poor to move through the environment.

They broke something in the last patch, and released it anyway.

ckohler

Here are the games I've tried in 4K so far:

inFAMOUS: Second Son
4K resolution isn't as noticeable as I expected unless I switch back and fourth. Mostly it's an increase in clarity to background object texture and their lines/edges.

Shadow of Mordor
Dramatically noticeable level of clarity in 4K for the entire picture. Everything looks super sharp, even in the background. Lots of detail throughout.

Skyrim
Very clear and sharp both in foreground and background. Lots of detail. Very clean presentation.

Ferr986

Ok, FFXV certainly makes the Pro work and it does more noise, but far from my OG PS4. There's not that high pitched sound from the fan anymore.

I wish it was even more silent, but can't complain tbh.

It's weird because high fps (which looks dreadful) still suffers from some very distracting stutter (idk if it's framepacing, but it feels like that) and 30 fps mode is just plain baaaaad. That same stutter, but nothing to offset it.

Add in the game's obnoxious auto-center camera and it just feel poor to move through the environment.

I think it's frame-pacing problems rather than frame drops. It's bloody annoying though.

Evolved1

I think it's frame-pacing problems rather than frame drops. It's bloody annoying though.
It actually ran, for the most part, okay before the patch. Now I find it unplayable. That's not hyperbole -- I keep turning the game off in disgust after 5 or 10 mins. Unfortunately DF did their evaluation before the patch, so many people think the game runs well enough... but it doesn't. It's gross right now.

Random question, is there a list out there of HDR supported games that will run on the OG PS4? I know Uncharted, Deus Ex, and Infamous do, but are there any other PS4 Pro updated games also adding HDR to the original console?

The Goat

Just played through the opening hour or so the game, and so far, everything feels pretty smooth. I'm playing in the 4K mode. Haven't noticed any stuttering or frame pacing issues as of yet. I did have one bug, early on where Lara screamed something at the start of a cutscene, and it got stuck and looped the audio over and over until it went back to game play. Weird for sure.

Somnia

Since we don't have a NPD prediction thread up yet just thought I'd throw this in as I help part time in the fall at a retailer.

We had 7 pre-orders on the Pro and all were picked up. We sold 3 additional walk-in's for the Pro between Friday and when I left on Saturday.

To be fair I only worked Saturday so no idea about Sunday. Honestly 7 is higher than I predicted as going into November before I went on vacation we had 2.

Evolved1

Just played through the opening hour or so the game, and so far, everything feels pretty smooth. I'm playing in the 4K mode. Haven't noticed any stuttering or frame pacing issues as of yet. I did have one bug, early on where Lara screamed something at the start of a cutscene, and it got stuck and looped the audio over and over until it went back to game play. Weird for sure.
I'm currently in an area where it's raining and there are heavy mist effects, etc.

Later I'll try warping around and see if it's isolated.

It wasn't framey in this area before the patch though -- that I can say.

color111

Neo Member
Man .. holy fucking shit .. Infinite Warfare Pro looks *SOO GOOD* on a 4K Panel. There's literally no signs of aliasing at all, the resolution, IQ, everything looks amazing.

Here's some downsampled to 1080p pics.

I never thought I'd say it, but Call of Duty looks stunning. I'm playing the campaign so slowly because I have to constantly stop and take in how beautiful it looks in 4k. Plus, the campaign itself is fantastic. If only they'd fix multiplayer issues, this would be a knockout.

SickBoy

So now that you guys have your pros, is there anything you'd like to see Sony address in terms of features or operation?

I can only think of a couple of ideas that immediately spring to mind for me (both things that seem like they'd be tweakable from within the OS):

1) Ability to disable the front-of-console light bar. Doesn't bother me too much, but I could see it being annoying in a darkened room and depending on your TV/entertainment centre setup.

2) Ability to force non-"Neo" (or "Vanilla PS4") mode: Why the hell would you want to do this? Well, for the sake of folks with 1080P TVs who are seeing performance compromises, let's assume Sony takes care of those issues.

But I could see myself using such a mode for power or noise savings on occasion. I've seen only isolated reports of games sending people's fans nuts, but if it happens, I've cursed my launch PS4's jet engine enough that I'd happily sacrifice performance on my 1080 TV in favor of reduced noise. I can't imagine this mode would get a ton of use, but how hard would it be to implement, and what would be the harm?

Ferr986

The light bar doesn't bother me, and I'm in a dark room. It's dim enough to not be annoying. I still think the OG PS4 had a better placement of the light bar though. Wish they keep that design instead of a bigger slim.
The slim doesn't have any light bar so Sony could patch an option for the Pro. I don't think they'll do it though, considering they never gave the option to shut down the pad's light.

Original PS4 mode would be good for those cases, and probably doable with a FW update I think.

just bought one of these and i don't even have a 4k tv. it's estimating 90 minutes to download the 312 MB update.

i guess there goes the hope that this would work better with my network.

Screenshots taking long for anyone else?

Like I I have it on easy screenshots, I got the share button and I won't get the notification for about 5-10 secs.

buenoblue

Bin testing uncharted 4 on ps4 pro and ks7000. All settings right but I notice if I put ps4 pro in 1080p then it looks so much sharper than 2160p output. 2160p looks blurry by comparison. Any thoughts.

Shin-Ra

So now that you guys have your pros, is there anything you'd like to see Sony address in terms of features or operation?
They should upgrade all the PlayStation Dynamic Menu graphics, a lot are still upscaled and even some of the text.

Like I I have it on easy screenshots, I got the share button and I won't get the notification for about 5-10 secs.
Yep. It's been that way for me since the last 2 or so FW's Pro and regular.

It's still taking the shot when I want it to but the notification being so late is annoying and I end up taking multiple shots sometimes.

Peterthumpa

Definitely taking longer here, but I guess that's the price to pay for PNG + 4K screenshots.
Not 10 seconds though, 5 seconds, tops.

Well if you have it at PNG the screenshots are about 10mb each. And it does take the screenshot when you press the Share button, the notification is just a bit delayed. I guess it shows up when the the PS4 have finished processing the picture.

Stillmatic

Got my Pro yesterday and had a session last night.

I played Battlefield 1, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Playstation VR Worlds, Thumper, Driveclub VR, Jackal Assault.

I really love this thing. VR games are hugely improved (didn't think they were bad before). With Tomb Riader I couldn't settle on what mode I wanted to play in, frame-rate, graphics, or super-sampled. I'm more impressed by the super-sampling than I thought I was going to be and I'm actually leaning towards that.

timshundo

Ratchet & Clank with HDR on... The last console I bought was a Wii U and I didn't know video games could look this good. It's absurd!

ufo8mycat

Guys, just in regards to the whole downsampling of 4K PS4 Pro games to a 1080p display. Is it the same sort of effect where on YouTube, seeing a game being played in the default small window (rather then full screen) and it looks super clear, clean and sharp, compared to viewing in full screen?

If so, may be tempted in getting the Pro just for this!

Fbh

Random question, is there a list out there of HDR supported games that will run on the OG PS4? I know Uncharted, Deus Ex, and Infamous do, but are there any other PS4 Pro updated games also adding HDR to the original console?

As far as I know all games that will support HDR on the Pro will also do so on the OG Ps4.

So far I haven't encountered a game (that I own) that has HDR on the Pro but not on the OG

Guys, just in regards to the whole downsampling of 4K PS4 Pro games to a 1080p display. Is it the same sort of effect where on YouTube, seeing a game being played in the default small window (rather then full screen) and it looks super clear, clean and sharp, compared to viewing in full screen?

That's actually a very good comparison, yes.

cakely

Kind of, yes.

To me it makes games look like the "bullshots" screenshots that are normally use to promote games, especially Ratchet and Clank, which now looks like modern animated film.

Evolved1

I've been extremely disappointed by Pro so far. Skyrim, RoTR running like shit in their 4K efforts. Infamous being distractingly, overly dark...

Let me just say: Thank Insomniac for Ratchet. Seriously. What a joy that has been.

And Battlefield sounds like it's a success -- need to try that. And VR.

iBeleaf

Why didn't Sony bundle any game with the Pro?
The reveal of Pro was weak and they could of at least threw in a game to entice people

Every single Xbox S came bundled with a game except the 2TB on.

Bad on Sonys part

I've been extremely disappointed by Pro so far. Skyrim, RoTR running like shit in their 4K efforts. Infamous being distractingly, overly dark...

Let me just say: Thank Insomniac for Ratchet. Seriously. What a joy that has been.

And Battlefield sounds like it's a success -- need to try that. And VR.

I've only played ratchet, battlefield, and VR games and have been impressed. Really sucks to hear tomb raider and skyrim run like shit. I was planning on picking up both.

Top Bottom